New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    I am more concerned by the fact that we see an actual griffin profile. I was hoping this was something else, for the simple reason that almost anything else would be less dangerous than a furious griffin.
    I'm rather concerned by the fact that Grace, in her three-tail form, had to actively brace herself against the shockwave of something that wasn't even aimed at her. Also not a good sign in terms of danger.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I'm rather concerned by the fact that Grace, in her three-tail form, had to actively brace herself against the shockwave of something that wasn't even aimed at her. Also not a good sign in terms of danger.
    I found it interesting that she still maintained her footing when even Cheerleadra was knocked over, although that may be due to Elliot's current stats distribution...
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'll note that Abraham says "modern knowledge. Modern garb" when casting the relevant spells and that Raven says "Murder shroud" when attacking Abraham with exploding crows conjured by a shroud of smoke about him.

Some spells might have a verbal component.
    Today's strip actually recalled me of that scene. Elliot looks like Abraham, with those clothes, and the creature looks like the birds from the the murder shroud.

I am more concerned by the fact that we see an actual griffin profile. I was hoping this was something else, for the simple reason that almost anything else would be less dangerous than a furious griffin.
    I think it's due to something that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lespuko. In particular, Grace used to have nightmares about a lespuko skull. She later made peace with that part of herself, but I wouldn't be surprised if her lespuko blood was the catalyst for the aggression. https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2004-08-28
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2022-03-18 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I found it interesting that she still maintained her footing when even Cheerleadra was knocked over, although that may be due to Elliot's current stats distribution...
    I mean, Cheerleadra doesn't have much footing to begin with while floating in the air.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I mean, Cheerleadra doesn't have much footing to begin with while floating in the air.
    Oh right, I forgot.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    This probably won't result in any weirdness once Tedd and Grace are going to the same college with a lot of the same people.
    I mean, I doubt we're going to remember this egs:np arc in 2034.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone else think Mystery Griffin's face is reminiscent of Spider Vampire's face?

The revelation that different griffins are based on different cat and bird combinations raises questions for me.
    Mystery Griffin = Lion + Owl
    Dame Tara = Tiger + ???
    Andrea = ??? + ???

What other types of griffin should there be? The obvious remaining unused cat options are Leopard, Jaguar, Serval, Ocelot, Lynx, Bobcat, Cheetah, Calico, and Puma. The obvious remaining unused bird options are Duck, Peacock, Ostrich, Flamingo, Penguin, Kiwi, Bird of Paradise, Puffin, and Kakapo.

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    What other types of griffin should there be? The obvious remaining unused cat options are Leopard, Jaguar, Serval, Ocelot, Lynx, Bobcat, Cheetah, Calico, and Puma. The obvious remaining unused bird options are Duck, Peacock, Ostrich, Flamingo, Penguin, Kiwi, Bird of Paradise, Puffin, and Kakapo.
    If you like weird griffon combos, you should read Skin Deep. The "reader questions" between each chapter are filled with requests to draw weird griffons. They ended going from cat/bird combos to more general mammal/bird combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #309

Hm.
    Uryuom/Lespuko heritage in the Owl/Lion griffin? (Hell, maybe that's where hybrid creatures of many types ultimately derive from.)
    Nothing else springs to mind as a source of "familiar."
    Edit: Okay, I lied. Damien also sprang to mind. But I see no connection between Damien and OwlLion!Jerk griffin.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-03-22 at 11:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hm.
    Uryuom/Lespuko heritage in the Owl/Lion griffin? (Hell, maybe that's where hybrid creatures of many types ultimately derive from.)
    Edit: Okay, I lied. Damien also sprang to mind. But I see no connection between Damien and OwlLion!Jerk griffin.
    This griffin being a seyunolu (which is what Uryuom hybrids are called) seems to be the best bet so far. I like it better than this griffin somehow being someone we met before.

Also being able to hybridize with anything and with more than two parenets seemed to be a unique Uryuom trait, but since we known so little about Lespukos it could be that they could have a way to hybridize with other species as well.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2022-03-23 at 02:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Hm.
    This would make sense not just because of Grace sensing something familiar.

There are a few questions to be answered:
    1. Why did a different griffin show up for the meeting?
    2. Why were they hostile?
    3. Why have they some beef with royalty? The two griffins we know from earlier treated royalty with high respect after all.

If the new griffin has some Uryuom heritage, it could immediately answer questions 2 and 3 as there was and still is a secret faction of Uryuom that fought against humanity. Since magic "not changed", Uryuoms can use it again, which could lead to sudden changes in the power balance. This in turn could mean serious problems on the other side of Earth (the griffin side), if the magic system between the sides is connected. That in turn could explain why the griffins we know did not show up and some hostile griffin is roaming the area instead.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    3. Why have they some beef with royalty?
    Maybe they're from griffin!France?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #313

Since magic "not changed", Uryuoms can use it again, which could lead to sudden changes in the power balance. This in turn could mean serious problems on the other side of Earth (the griffin side), if the magic system between the sides is connected.
    Now that is a scary thought! That could indeed lead to some very PO'd people/creatures.
    Seems unfair, but since when is life fair?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Now that is a scary thought! That could indeed lead to some very PO'd people/creatures.
    Seems unfair, but since when is life fair?
    Or more precisely: some very PO'd people/creatures suddenly have the power to become proactive about their emotional state.

15. - Top - End - #315

Or more precisely: some very PO'd people/creatures suddenly have the power to become proactive about their emotional state.
    Actually, with a shift in power, conflicts and even war arise, making everyone1 angry. That is what I was thinking of.

[1: Except for the people who simply become sad, of course.]
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-03-24 at 06:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316

New page is interesting, he's implementing the "hero/villain" theory from a while back. Also, with Charm being tied to "heroic personality" to some extent, I wonder if any villainous form has an alternate option, an antonymous aspect... or maybe that's just part of the "restraint" keyword.

17. - Top - End - #317

It took me a while, but I have figured out panel 4. The trenchcoat is being removed while the torso covering is changing (hence the weird shading) as he shifts from scout!Leadra to Elliot before assuming the form of OathOfVengeancePaladin!Leadra.
    (It would not astonish me if, like Nanase's angel form, this form causes auto-burnout. Because he is pushing his limits. But that's pretty speculative right now.)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not gonna lie, part of me is expecting the villain form to take visual cues from Damien.

Damien's the closest thing there is to a supervillain, in-universe. Elliot has previously thought of Damien as his "worst enemy." And I distinctly recall what I think was a dream sequence where Elliot had a similar haircut to Damien.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Well, is this an appropriate theme?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, part of me is expecting the villain form to take visual cues from Damien.

Damien's the closest thing there is to a supervillain, in-universe. Elliot has previously thought of Damien as his "worst enemy." And I distinctly recall what I think was a dream sequence where Elliot had a similar haircut to Damien.
    If we don't get female Damien with a goatee and fishnet stockings I'll be disappointed.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #321

Well, other people called that: we are actually seeing the villain form, and almost immediately after Elliott figured out what he could do.

(Elliott, you moron. Who, in this webcomic, has a better-than-50% chance of never actually regretting this, even so.)

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want kids to be the protagonists of a movie, you need some explanation for why adults don't handle everything. "Adults don't listen" is a serviceable plot device. I guess you could try "there are no adults around" or "kids keep secrets from adults," but those don't impart great life lessons either.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a bit confused by today's NP. Is the joke that Susan doesn't realize she's not the target audience for kids' movies, or that this guy doesn't realize that Susan already understands the points he's making? I thought it was the former after reading the comic, but the commentary implies the latter.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'm a bit confused by today's NP. Is the joke that Susan doesn't realize she's not the target audience for kids' movies, or that this guy doesn't realize that Susan already understands the points he's making? I thought it was the former after reading the comic, but the commentary implies the latter.
    Here's a clue: Susan is probably the smartest person in the comic. And Rich is, if not dumb, at least resistant to learning.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The joke is that Susan complains about when the plot revolves around some characters (adults) not listening to what other characters (kids) say, and here the plot of the joke revolves around one character (Rich) not listening to what another character (Susan) says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #326

Here's a clue: Susan is probably the smartest person in the comic. And Rich is, if not dumb, at least resistant to learning.
    I'm with Windscion here. What the precise intended implications of Rich continuing to tell Susan she's wrong are is debatable, but the one thing you can be certain of, is that no part of the intended takeaway is "Rich is right and Susan is wrong."

27. - Top - End - #327

"Granted, yelling would have happened anyway because of things that are happening."

I think this means that Elliot's lack-of-restraint `villain` form is more of a "burning up because of overload" form.

28. - Top - End - #328

BardGuy

So, uh

is it more of an AAAAAAA?

or an AAAAHHHH?

'Cause I'm leaning towards "AAAAAAA", but I like to be certain
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-03-30 at 06:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Those links both go to the same video. And neither has a timestamp.

30. - Top - End - #330

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Those links both go to the same video. And neither has a timestamp.
    That definitely isn't how it's supposed to be. Should be fixed now.