New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    (also, they are teens.)
    This is the biggest thing. I think most kids that age are overwhelmed navigating the stormy sea of hormones, so they overreact and jump to conclusions because everything in their life is coming at them at maximum speed and everything's SUPER IMPORTANT all the time, and they don't know how to deal. Feels like some people who're criticizing these characters maybe don't remember what being a teenager was like, or had atypical life experiences.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This is the biggest thing. I think most kids that age are overwhelmed navigating the stormy sea of hormones, so they overreact and jump to conclusions because everything in their life is coming at them at maximum speed and everything's SUPER IMPORTANT all the time, and they don't know how to deal. Feels like some people who're criticizing these characters maybe don't remember what being a teenager was like, or had atypical life experiences.
    That is a consideration, but I think the bigger issue is even simpler than that. This is a story in progress. We do not have all the context for every scene. We don't even have the whole scene most of the time. Despite this, some people want to make judgement calls about it as if this were a completed work, which is completely unfair to both the story and the author. It's the audience jumping to conclusions.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #873
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well carp. Also Lake carp. River carp? (Edit: Phew! Carp are freshwater fish.)
    Noah's eye. And his mother's parent's naive, joyful faith in the master of fire implies a lot of painful regrets ahead for them.
    Or to put it another way: hit right in the feels.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-11-21 at 06:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Well carp. Also Lake carp. River carp? (Edit: Phew! Carp are freshwater fish.)
    Noah's eye. And his mother's naive, joyful faith in the master of fire implies a lot of painful regrets ahead for her.
    Or to put it another way: critical hit right in the feels.
    "I never knew my mother, and my father was a bitter, quick-tempered fanatic who helped create Damien, the monster that killed him and many others."

Combine that with Painted Black noting that Damien as made by religious fanatics who got tired of waiting...

Yeah, that's almost certainly Noah's father and something must have happened to sour his father.

...Could also be that Noah's father was gender non-conforming, given the emphasis on a lack of a gender binary the second panel.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm guessing that Noah's parent is NB, while Noah is probably cis (seeing his dislike of being gendered as female).

Also I wonder what's up with Noah's eye in panel three. I suppose he's likely just shifted it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #876

He said he didn't want to leave us with this for thanksgiving weekend so clearly he has something even worse planned for that.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, I'm guessing that Noah's parent is NB, while Noah is probably cis (seeing his dislike of being gendered as female).

Also I wonder what's up with Noah's eye in panel three. I suppose he's likely just shifted it.
    Did we ever see his left eye before? Since he apparently cannot hide the antennae, maybe he is stuck like that with one Uryuom eye?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Did we ever see his left eye before? Since he apparently cannot hide the antennae, maybe he is stuck like that with one Uryuom eye?
    Yeah, I went back ~4 comics to check clearly two human eyes while being straddled by Diane.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #879

Or, just a stab in the dark here, he doesn't like being jeered at by his classmates?
    I forgot/misread Noah saying he didn't remember his mother.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've been wondering for a while if Noah is the equivalent to Archie in Ellen's dream world.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I've been wondering for a while if Noah is the equivalent to Archie in Ellen's dream world.
    Dan denied that years ago.

We saw Noah's eye for the first time all the way back in the final page of Temple of Swedish Furniture. It looked like a normal eye, but had two reflections of light instead of one.

If I had to hazard a guess, Noah probably has either a wand or a bit of Uryuom Tech that lets him disguise his eye, but by the time he got it he was so used to hiding his eye with his hair that he kept doing that.

And the TF Gun is explicitly much more advanced than commonly available, so whatever Noah has access to, if it's based on Uryuom tech, isn't able to hide his antenna.

...it's also possible that Raven enchanted Noah, now that I think about it. A transformation Enchantment would do that and, since Noah is a Greater Chimera he'd absorb it an be able to assume that form at will.

(It's the Lespuko DNA that lets Grace combine forms)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

Today's NP reminds me of the Cigarette Smoking Man from X-files: originally intended as an unnamed background extra that got remade into the main antagonist because of the widespread fandom reaction and all the theories floating about his possible significance.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Larry, have a brain. If Geoff the Cleric was important to the plot they'd have a name.

Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Larry, have a brain. If Geoff the Cleric was important to the plot they'd have a name.
    Nah, this is a crime thriller, suspecting the unnamed spearholder who show up briefly in the first act to be important to the resolution of the crime is kind of valid.

Also players just kind of do these things.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #885

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Nah, this is a crime thriller, suspecting the unnamed spearholder who show up briefly in the first act to be important to the resolution of the crime is kind of valid.

Also players just kind of do these things.
    Reminds me of the time my tabletop group decided there had to be something special about the bare-bones, Cr 1/8 skeleton who avoided 4 killing blows in a row and downed the fighter with two crits after the third and fourth. That damn pile of bones was far too capable to be merely a pile of bones. Became a whole thing, and our DM happily played into it.

Never forget the undead horror that was formerly known as John Henry James IV.

16. - Top - End - #886

Maybe Noah's Uryom eye is normally kept hidden because of heightened sensorial perception, in a similar way to how Grace tends to keep her antennae off.

By the way, I like how the antennae, as the strongest sensorial organs, are used to touch and show tenderness in a way similar to how we use our very sensitive hands, or many animals use their noses and tongues.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #887

Pointy Ears on Sis-Mode Diane.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #888

So now that Rhoda has grow up and left the nest, along comes Noah. Diane will appreciate having someone to boss around take care of.

19. - Top - End - #889

"You know what? We should cosplay Zelda!"

20. - Top - End - #890

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Pointy Ears on Sis-Mode Diane.
    Huh, didn't catch that first read. Nice detail

21. - Top - End - #891

Wandering a bit far afield, but I wonder if Raven has any idea that Tedd is a wizard/seer.
    The reason I mention this is if Diane's ears are going to manifest, she'll want to talk to someone -- could be Raven, could be Tedd -- about supressing/hiding them. Or, y'know, making them permanent since she likes the idea.
    (https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-223)

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone want to speculate on how long quarter-immortals like Diane live? More specifically, could Adrian Raven's firstborn still be kicking around somewhere?

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

I am wondering if the current outburst about checking if Noah is fine comes partially from the fact that Diane is adopted and possible related abandonment issues.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Anyone want to speculate on how long quarter-immortals like Diane live? More specifically, could Adrian Raven's firstborn still be kicking around somewhere?
    Hmmmm... I'd say it depends on how common elves are. But according to Raven they'd have been born in his 20s, so we're looking at what, 200 years at an absolute minimum, more likely half a millennium? I forget if it was ever established as to when Blaike lived.

By the time it hits Susan levels it's clearly not that much of a boost, but we're also talking like a hundred generations removed at that point.

Also going by the fact that most immortals are specifically hiding the fact that elves are fertile I'd say that past the first generation it's probably not a significant boost to lifespan. Immortals already have issues with having kids, elves don't seem to have the same sanity issues with age so they likely have to deal with outliving their kids several times over.

Although I suspect that if Adrian had known he'd likely have tracked down his first kid and acted as grandad to all of their descendants.

What if Van is Raven's kid, and he's gone off to look into that possibility? If so he'll definitely come back to Moperville with Noriko and Van in tow, on the day of the wedding.

Show

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm... I'd say it depends on how common elves are. But according to Raven they'd have been born in his 20s, so we're looking at what, 200 years at an absolute minimum, more likely half a millennium? I forget if it was ever established as to when Blaike lived.

By the time it hits Susan levels it's clearly not that much of a boost, but we're also talking like a hundred generations removed at that point.
    "Half a millenium [...] hundred generations"
    That... that's some pretty early pregnancies you got there, chief.

But also, yeah, if the descendant of elves had a noticeable increase in lifespans, I think it would have been noticed.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #896

Also going by the fact that most immortals are specifically hiding the fact that elves are fertile I'd say that past the first generation it's probably not a significant boost to lifespan. Immortals already have issues with having kids, elves don't seem to have the same sanity issues with age so they likely have to deal with outliving their kids several times over.

Although I suspect that if Adrian had known he'd likely have tracked down his first kid and acted as grandad to all of their descendants.

What if Van is Raven's kid, and he's gone off to look into that possibility? If so he'll definitely come back to Moperville with Noriko and Van in tow, on the day of the wedding.
    Raven doesn't strike me as the type to sleep with his students, even if said students are much older now than otherwise.

...Though he did say that it's hi fault that Norko and Edward were no longer together. I assumed that that was because he overly encouraged her pursuit of magical power, but...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, also even if Noriko isn't the nicest person, I think that she'd have told Raven he isn't actually infertile.

Also, also, the fact that he can make good guesses at who Diane's mother and Susan's ancestor are based on nothing but Diane's age and Susan being "a distant descendant" despite them being one-night stands (and his own words on the matter) strongly suggests that he hasn't had many sexual encounters in his centuries of life.

Which makes me ponder whether the notion that half-immortals are less likely to successfully procreate is even true to begin with. Maybe they just all have a low sex drive?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-12-02 at 07:00 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #898

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yeah, also even if Noriko isn't the nicest person, I think that she'd have told Raven he isn't actually infertile.

Also, also, the fact that he can make good guesses at who Diane's mother and Susan's ancestor are based on nothing but Diane's age and Susan being "a distant descendant" despite them being one-night stands (and his own words on the matter) strongly suggests that he hasn't had many sexual encounters in his centuries of life.

Which makes me ponder whether the notion that half-immortals are less likely to successfully procreate is even true to begin with. Maybe they just all have a low sex drive?
    I mean, from a strictly biological perspective the fact that they have eternal youth would correlate to a low sex drive and rate of fertility.

The longer an organism lives and remains in it's prime, the less need there is to reproduce.

And we honestly have no idea how fertile Immortals are. It's entirely possible that all elves are the product of either particularly promiscuous immortals or else an immortal directly trying to conceive a child.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

I assumed it was less about having a low sex drive, and more about not wanting to form close emotional bonds with he's going to outlive many times over. Really, one night stands make the most sense if you don't want to wind up carrying a torch for several hundred years.

As for number of partners, I don't think we know where Adrian ranks on the Kinsey scale. He's clearly had at least two encounters with women, but those two encounters could be anywhere from 100% to... some very small number % of his experiences.

Actually, since half-immortals have a very low fertility rate, if Adrian has had exactly two encounters with women, and also exactly two children, he's quite the statistical anomaly. Maybe Diane just looks a lot like her mother, and Susan somehow looks a lot like her unspecified distant ancestor.

30. - Top - End - #900

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I assumed it was less about having a low sex drive, and more about not wanting to form close emotional bonds with he's going to outlive many times over. Really, one night stands make the most sense if you don't want to wind up carrying a torch for several hundred years.

As for number of partners, I don't think we know where Adrian ranks on the Kinsey scale. He's clearly had at least two encounters with women, but those two encounters could be anywhere from 100% to... some very small number % of his experiences.

Actually, since half-immortals have a very low fertility rate, if Adrian has had exactly two encounters with women, and also exactly two children, he's quite the statistical anomaly. Maybe Diane just looks a lot like her mother, and Susan somehow looks a lot like her unspecified distant ancestor.
    ...Raven does look a lot like Susan's dad.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks