New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

That guy would do well to wear a cup.

You know, just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Yes, yes, Sarah likes wands. We get it, she's the token het.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Take my approval and get out!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

OMG :O

That's hilarious.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Not quite as she considers herself 1 on Kinsey scale, well... at most 2.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Not quite as she considers herself 1 on Kinsey scale, well... at most 2.
    Yeah, I do get the impression that she's a bisexual in denial. She may be straight-leaning, but I don't think she's entirely straight.

Which does mean that this comic doesn't have a cishet main character. The closest is Elliot, and he's probably not het or cis.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Yeah, I do get the impression that she's a bisexual in denial. She may be straight-leaning, but I don't think she's entirely straight.

Which does mean that this comic doesn't have a cishet main character. The closest is Elliot, and he's probably not het or cis.
    Elliot has outright stated he identifies as "gender casual" and Susan postulates that he means agender when he saysthis after he explains it, so... No, Elliot is not Cis.

As for his seuxuality... If he doens't have a gender, I don't think that terms like hetero or homo accuratly apply to him.

I think. Don't quote me on that.

...This might be a question for the LGBTAI thread.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #188

Finding Noah hot is ... kind of an unfair test of heterosexuality? I mean, Noah has the androgynous thing going, probably due at least in part to his Uryuom heritage. My point here is that he may well be NB, even if he presents as male. (Given his prehensile hair, he must have some Uryuom heritage, even if he isn't an alt of dream-verse Archie.) And yeah, Elliot isn't really cis anymore.

Sarah is maybe less in denial and more unwilling to (in her eyes) get between Grace and Tedd. For any value of "between" that you choose.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-02-03 at 06:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Sarah is somewhere between hetereoflexible and bi/pan. Elliot is NB but his attraction leads female (same for Tedd, I think), we've got two clear cisgender gay characters, and whatever Ellen identifies as.

Grace, I think, is cis-het but also demi? I've never understood if uyrom-style attraction is supposed to be different to being demi or if Dan/Tedd just didn't know the term.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, Sarah is somewhere between hetereoflexible and bi/pan. Elliot is NB but his attraction leads female (same for Tedd, I think), we've got two clear cisgender gay characters, and whatever Ellen identifies as.

Grace, I think, is cis-het but also demi? I've never understood if uyrom-style attraction is supposed to be different to being demi or if Dan/Tedd just didn't know the term.
    Tedd is explicitly genderfluid, feeling more male or female on some days than on others or in different situations.. And not accounting for the effects of the TF gun, is exclusively attracted to females.

Grace has stated that she's attracted to Tedd regardless of form due to sensing his emotions but is otherwise attracted to boys when in female form and attracted to girls when in male form. Or well, at least she leans towards that way.

Grace's gender identity hasn't been specified. Dan has gone on record as stating that Will and Gill's "Uryuoms don't have genders" is becuase he didn't know the difference between sex and gender at the time and that Uryuosms do have gender identities and assume gender roles among cultures that have them, so... Since Grace is almost exclusively in female form I'm gonna assume she identifies as female until specified otherwise.

If only by default
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-02-03 at 08:16 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

SO Kevin is disappointed in Ashley, confused by Grace, willing to train Sarah and can tell that Tedd needs no more training.

Do I have that right?
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd tend to think it's more that Kevin accepts that Sarah is here for the lessons, but I'm not sure whether it will actually attempt to train Sarah because she's not a wizard. While Mittens is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #193

He's disappointed in Mittens, and is willing to accept that Sarah is just a wizard groupie. And maybe Grace is a wizards familiar?
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-02-04 at 09:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Tedd meanwhile probably just registers as a fully trained wizard. They might not have a lot of power, and they might not be able to cast them, but they do know a lot of spells.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Tedd meanwhile probably just registers as a fully trained wizard. They might not have a lot of power, and they might not be able to cast them, but they do know a lot of spells.
    Tedd explicitly has an absurd amount of power. Luke wa blinded by Tedd's aura when Grace, "the most magically overpowered thing in Moperville," only had a slightly thicker and more defined aura than other users.

Pandora states that the reason the wand didn't detect Tedd's power is becuase Tedd was powerful enough to reflexively resist the detection spell and that Tedd is a font of power.

Also, Dan has stated more than once that Tedd prefers whatever pronouns match the sex of the form she's currently in, so... She.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Tedd explicitly has an absurd amount of power. Luke wa blinded by Tedd's aura when Grace, "the most magically overpowered thing in Moperville," only had a slightly thicker and more defined aura than other users.

Pandora states that the reason the wand didn't detect Tedd's power is becuase Tedd was powerful enough to reflexively resist the detection spell and that Tedd is a font of power.

Also, Dan has stated more than once that Tedd prefers whatever pronouns match the sex of the form she's currently in, so... She.
    We know there's something up with Tedd, we don't have any confirmation that they're a massive magical generator yet. I'd honestly been working under the assumption that Seer enchantment nullification powers were the reason the spell filed, it honestly felt like the simplest solution.

Plus I don't even know what year the comic's set in, Tedd could be in any form at 15:37GMT 4/2/2022 and I wouldn't have a clue.

Show

17. - Top - End - #197

I think a guy who can see power levels as auras being blinded by Tedd's aura couple with Pandora explicitly stating that Tedd will never need to draw on ambient energy because she is a "Font of Power" is hard confirmation that Tedd is in fact a magical powerhouse.

Also, Dan edited the comic with a note in the commentary
    EDIT - Kevin originally told Tedd "YOU PASS!" with the same intent, but that seemed to confuse readers, and I wasn't going for ambiguity. Kevin is reacting to Tedd's immense magic power as a seer.
    Kevin now says "graduated."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #198

Tedd has immense magical power. The text part of the comic says so.

Pandora also said that Luke's magic detection spell didn't "work properly" on Tedd. She didn't say why. Of course, that was back when "Tedd is a wizard with a quirk" hadn't been revealed.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Elliot's there? And he's not in one of his female forms? I had been thinking all these girls hanging out with a magical instructor could be the origin story for a group of Magical Girls. But Elliot's ruining it. Elliot, stop being so selfish and transform into a girl!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well, we now know that Grace doesn't have Captain America's ability to predict where a bounced object will end up.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Well, we now know that Grace doesn't have Captain America's ability to predict where a bounced object will end up.
    I could be wrong, but I believe she has been stated as having enhanced intelligence and is particularly good at math. If so, she should actually be able to do just that. However, she didn't know how hard she'd hit the ball and, thus, didn't take the ball's trajectory into account. Intelligence only matters if you use it.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

I could be wrong, but I believe she has been stated as having enhanced intelligence and is particularly good at math. If so, she should actually be able to do just that. However, she didn't know how hard she'd hit the ball and, thus, didn't take the ball's trajectory into account. Intelligence only matters if you use it.
    Math has nothing to do with that kind of ability.

Do you know how many Newtons of force you've exerced on a ball you punched? No, then it doesn't matter how good your are with equations, you won't be able to calculat its trajectory, you'll have to guess based on isntinct and experience, like the rest of us.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Math has nothing to do with that kind of ability.

Do you know how many Newtons of force you've exerced on a ball you punched? No, then it doesn't matter how good your are with equations, you won't be able to calculat its trajectory, you'll have to guess based on isntinct and experience, like the rest of us.
    What the actual f***? It's geometry.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah but you don't have a ruler or anything, how could just tell the measurement by sight then match your throw to that? that sounds like fictional genius stuff not actual math.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

No, it's physics.
    Edit: What's the weight of the ball? What's its air resistance? What's the immediate speed you're imparting to it? All the math skill in the world won't help you solve m*a = m*g - r*v if you don't any of those values.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-09 at 03:00 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn. You all make some very compelling arguments. I guess that's why billiards is literally impossible to play. No one can possibly calculate the angles of a shot without knowing air resistance. :eyeroll:

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Damn. You all make some very compelling arguments. I guess that's why billiards is literally impossible to play. No one can possibly calculate the angles of a shot without knowing air resistance. :eyeroll:
    The point is that virtually no one is calculating the angles of a shot. They are roughly estimating them, and Grace's array of computational abilities are not helpful in making those rough estimations.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Billiards is also a bad comparison because you have all the time you need to plan out your shot and apply precisely the amount of force you intend to. You're not having to hit the ball in a split-second window.

Even then, if you put the world's greatest math genius who has never played before in front of a pool table and hand him a cue, he'll have a pretty difficult time succeeding on pure math.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

If all you needed was geometry than pro athletes would all be math majors, heck if math was even a little bit useful geometry would be a hard focus for every sports team but its just not useful not for this. Humans rely a lot on instincts and muscle memory for physical actions and in general athletes perform worse when they spend time thinking about the mechanics of what they are doing rather than just doing it.

I mean pick a ball and try to bounce it off a wall back into your hand, now go through what you actually did, did you consider the geometry at all or did you just eyeball it?

Fictional super genius often do that kind of stuff all the time but well its just fiction.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    The point is that virtually no one is calculating the angles of a shot. They are roughly estimating them, and Grace's array of computational abilities are not helpful in making those rough estimations.
    What in the world do you think your brain is doing when you're "estimating?" It's calculating angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Billiards is also a bad comparison because you have all the time you need to plan out your shot and apply precisely the amount of force you intend to. You're not having to hit the ball in a split-second window.
    "It's a bad comparison because you're doing literally the exact same thing just slower. Therefore, it's completely invalid to your argument that Grace is good at doing this thing quickly."

Even then, if you put the world's greatest math genius who has never played before in front of a pool table and hand him a cue, he'll have a pretty difficult time succeeding on pure math.
    What's your argument here? Either you're trying to say that math is useless in billiards (proving you have no idea what you're talking about) or this statement is just irrelevant. Whatever the case, you're not winning any points here.