New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Is Aliens: Fireteam Elite worth getting, or is it dying out in record time?

It's currently 30% off on Steam, but its discussion forum seems to mostly be posts about how the game is dead and nobody can find anyone to play with. Some forums do just attract constant negativity and doomsaying, so I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Do you think Fireteam Elite has any sort of staying power? Or has the player base abandoned it, never to return?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is Aliens: Fireteam Elite worth getting, or is it dying out in record time?

I have no idea what the multiplayer scene is like, but it's a pretty good time in singleplayer. The bots are decent, and the shooting is solid enough, although a touch unremarkable. Worth it if you want to shoot ugly things in third person and are tired of/just don't like Gears, because Gears 5 is very, very good.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is Aliens: Fireteam Elite worth getting, or is it dying out in record time?

I've never even heard of this game, which is never a good sign.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

All the reviews I've read or watched have indicated that the faithfulness to the source material is great (the characteristic sounds of the M41A Pulse rifle, xenomorph shrieks, etc) and that single player with the bots is fine on the medium difficulty levels, but the game really shines when you're playing with two other friends with voice comms.

I think it's the comms and friends that make this game - joining a random PUG without comms may as well be the same as playing with more competent bots.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

To me it looks an awful lot like Deep Rock Galactic gameplay wise, and I already have that, so I haven't given this one a 2nd look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Rock and Stone forever!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh, at 30% off, it's worth it to buy as a single-player game. The bots are as dumb as wallpaper paste, but they won't actively try to kill you, and should be sufficient to get you through the missions on Recruit difficulty, provided you have any FPS skills to speak of. The developer made a dog's breakfast of the matchmaking, there was no 'get me in a game' queue, so you had to hope that someone was waiting for the exact same map at the exact same time as you want to play, at least at the last time I started up the game client. The core gameplay is pretty fun, though I think it relies a bit too heavily on enemies emerging from walls behind you, and the Alien runner animations are pretty janky.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2022-01-04 at 11:06 AM.