New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    Everfull Sails explicitly create a gust of wind from nothing. It creates enough wind to push you at your vehicle's max speed (whatever that is), and it's always active while the sail is unfurled and in use. Then it's just a matter of designing a spaceship that can be pulled by a sail without breaking or becoming uncontrollable, and that has a sufficiently massive max speed. The spell will just generate some crazily strong gusts of wind to push the ship that fast, and must definitely be custom-designed for the job.
    That's a problem for advanced material science + magic. IDK how to solve that, but that's the whole point of working for NASA instead of trying to reinvent this in my basement! Regarding magical improvements to material science: Augment Object is third level, affects very big objects for day/level, and is a massive toughness improvement that scales with the native toughness of the item. Hardening is permanent, Shaper of Form improvements are permanent, etc.
    Everfull Sails create a gust of wind, but there's already air all around. It's just moving that air into the sails. Achieve a NG this when there's no air would be questionable. Like, if you had a submersible with Everfull Saul's in the Elemental plane of water would it still work? If yes, would it be creating air in the plane (which, like on vacuum, would have its own set of issues) or would it be "wind" made of water? If the designers had ever thought of it (which would be wired, I'll grant you), I bet they would have written something like "this spell has no effect when there is no air to create wind from" or something.

And that's not even getting to "max speed" in space - once you have a stable orbit, you're already moving at a (relatively) stable velocity at all times, slowing down at the far end of the ellipse and speeding up at the near end. If you have any acceleration, then you're now moving at a faster velocity. If that acceleration doesn't change, you're going faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and with chemical rockets you'd run out of fuel at this point but "everlasting sails" kind of says it all and faster and faster and faster and faster and the whole concept of "maximum speed" slowly loses meaning as you realize that the surface of the world, be it earth or water or even the atmospheric air itself created a drag effect that meant that infinitely increasing velocity was not possible but you are no longer constrained by the bounds of hitting against matter and while your shop was designed around countering the effects of radiation pressure you're still wondering if combining magic and science has gone too far. Perhaps even as far as you have gone since the beginning and end of that thought, which may be nigh incalculable.

You fully understand the painting The Scream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    It's kinda surprising to me how many altruistic casters and immortality seekers there are in this thread, or at least those that lean towards those two archetypes.
    ...... Yyyyyyeeeeessssss, altruistic. Definitely. Certainly I will not be healing the whole goddamn world while laughing maniacally and screaming "WHAT NOW, BITCHES? WHAT?!? NOW?!? at the insurance companies as they shutter their doors forever. Nope. Altruism. That is the motivation.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, that time of the year again. Last year I was debating about going into Erudite, and this year I will. Some major changes to my life plans this year, might as well make another one.

I'm choosing Erudite because it's a full caster, with a large number of spells known, not divine, and with no gp costs and minor xp costs. Unique powers per day isn't a problem at all because I'm not adventuring, so there's no problem having to wait a day before I can alter reality in a new way.

I might update with a powers known list later.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Everfull Sails create a gust of wind, but there's already air all around. It's just moving that air into the sails. Achieve a NG this when there's no air would be questionable. Like, if you had a submersible with Everfull Saul's in the Elemental plane of water would it still work? If yes, would it be creating air in the plane (which, like on vacuum, would have its own set of issues) or would it be "wind" made of water? If the designers had ever thought of it (which would be wired, I'll grant you), I bet they would have written something like "this spell has no effect when there is no air to create wind from" or something.

And that's not even getting to "max speed" in space - once you have a stable orbit, you're already moving at a (relatively) stable velocity at all times, slowing down at the far end of the ellipse and speeding up at the near end. If you have any acceleration, then you're now moving at a faster velocity. If that acceleration doesn't change, you're going faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and faster and with chemical rockets you'd run out of fuel at this point but "everlasting sails" kind of says it all and faster and faster and faster and faster and the whole concept of "maximum speed" slowly loses meaning as you realize that the surface of the world, be it earth or water or even the atmospheric air itself created a drag effect that meant that infinitely increasing velocity was not possible but you are no longer constrained by the bounds of hitting against matter and while your shop was designed around countering the effects of radiation pressure you're still wondering if combining magic and science has gone too far. Perhaps even as far as you have gone since the beginning and end of that thought, which may be nigh incalculable.

You fully understand the painting The Scream.
    You keep trying to apply physics to D&D magic. It creates a gust of wind, and the gust of wind spell says it "creates a severe blast of air" with no restriction on casting it in a void. It seems to me that the spell creates air from nothing, like Wall of Stone creates stone from nothing.
    The spell explicitly creates a gust strong enough to move you at your maximum normal speed. It doesn't let you get any faster, so clearly the acceleration just stops once you reach a certain speed. The main difficulties I can think of right now are as follows:
    1. You need a massive max speed, but you don't want the initial acceleration to be too abrupt. You'll probably want a ship with different configurations, each with its own max speed (I'm imagining brakes of some kind that reduce its on-paper max speed, which would also reduce the strength of the gust of wind as per magic item description). This is again a design + material science challenge, exactly the kind of thing a space agency can do.
    2. You'll want to actually get into space somehow without creating an insanely powerful gust of wind within atmosphere. This isn't my field of study, but some armchair physics suggests collateral damage if you do that. You'll probably want to either Teleport into space, or only deploy the sail once you're already out of atmosphere. Even a Fly stronghold space effect could work (it's take hours to get into space due to speed concerns, but that's not a deal-breaker considering the timescale space travel works at). Seeing as the whole point of this is "I can start now without needing a big CL or XP total", it'd probably be easier to use conventional means to breach atmosphere and then use a special sail-designed ship to get to Mars or something. This is just a way to dramatically reduce fuel concerns, not a whole spaceship replacer.
    3. You'll want ways to slow down and steer. I suggest having several sails you can furl/unfurl to produce different levels of thrust in different directions, but we'll see what the engineers prefer. Again, I presume that space agencies have scientists and designers who're better at this than I am right now (and I can give them skill bonuses if needed).

...... Yyyyyyeeeeessssss, altruistic. Definitely. Certainly I will not be healing the whole goddamn world while laughing maniacally and screaming "WHAT NOW, BITCHES? WHAT?!? NOW?!? at the insurance companies as they shutter their doors forever. Nope. Altruism. That is the motivation.
    Hey, you aren't killing them despite having amazing cosmic power! That's clearly a sign of significant moral fiber right there!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding space travel:
    A Decanter of Endless water, on Gyser, produces "considerable back pressure". That'll do for thrust once you're out of Earth's gravity well. And you can turn it on and off, or move it around to steer. If you need more force, just heat the water to steam in a boiler or something prior to letting it out of the ship.

Stronghold spaces can Teleport and/or Plane Shift. You can also create Stronghold Spaces that let you instantly teleport pretty much anywhere, and/or that let you instantly appear in another linked but arbitrarily distant stronghold space. This costs a lot of money and would take ages to build, but it's not impossible or anything once you have enough levels under your belt.
    Yes?

I said, right in the post you quoted, "You'll need either stasis or a teleporting stronghold space" (emphasis added).

Yeah, Greater Platform of Jaunting, Craft Portal, and so on can also do it.

Removing disease from existence wouldn't get rid of health insurance companies. It'd reduce them by a rather lot, but they have long-term contracts with a rather lot of businesses, there's a hefty number of laws requiring medical exams under various circumstances, and so on. Then of course, there's injuries.

Also... removing disease from the Earth might be harder than you think. A TO exercise involving infinite wishes or something might do it, but....

Well, suppose you're creating angels with Remove Disease as an at will. There's an estimated 7 billion people on Earth. How many of them do you need in order to tap everyone, once, with Remove Disease over the course of a year to make sure to get all the carriers before they reinfect anyone?

Then there's administrative details (travel time, finding everyone, et cetera), and that nasty little factoid that animals also carry diseases, and can spread them to humans sometimes.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-26 at 08:09 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, you aren't killing them despite having amazing cosmic power! That's clearly a sign of significant moral fiber right there!
    If I more or less understand the conceit of the thread, none of us have unmatched cosmic power because other people on GitP all have class levels too. So to go shields down or get too blatant, you have to trust your fellow playgrounders.

For what it's worth, I trust you guys to stop me if I start killing people. at least if you catch me doing it

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Wilderness Focus
    Those who follow the path of the wilderness feel in their bones the call of the wild. They feel at home when alone in the wilderness – be it the backwoods, the mountain, the desert, or the frozen tundra. As they progress down this path, they draw power from the wilds, becoming as unyielding and as dangerous as those wilds themselves.

Survivor Creature [Wilderness]
    Survivor Creatures feel the draw of the untamed land, and have began letting it seep into their beings. They can survive and thrive even with an extreme lack of resources. They also grow less attuned with civilized life, becoming uncomfortable when spending a long time within buildings or cities. Their hair becomes more vibrant, and their body hair thicker.
    Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat.
    Benefits: The creature only needs half as much sleep as they previously did, and can function on as little as 2 hours of sleep per night for a week before starting to face any consequences. Additionally, all time-related effects of thirst and starvation take effect five times slower. So, for example, a Survivor creature would only start starving after 15 days, and would need to make a check once every 5 days, instead of every day.
    Special: This prestige race alteration is unavailable to creatures with gear prestige race alterations.
    Cost: 1,000 XP.

Tundra Creature [Wilderness]
    Tundra creatures go deeper into the heart of the wild, leaving behind human society. Even those who were particularly verbose before their transformation become prone to long bouts of silence, and those who found speaking to be hard before find it nearly impossible. Their fingernails harden and become opaque. Their hair and facial hair grow quicker, becoming more wild and unruly.
    Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Survivor Creature.
    Benefits: The creature can travel through snow at normal speed, leaving no tracks behind. It can also travel across even the most slippery (horizontal) ice at normal speed, with no risk of tripping. Additionally, the creature can comfortably exist in temperatures as cold as -50 Fahrenheit without needing to make fortitude saves.
    Cost: 1,000 XP.

Desert Creature [Wilderness]
    Desert creatures accept and cherish the exquisite pain one is submitted to in the deep wilderness, as they step dipper into its power. As their attunement to the wilderness becomes more comprehensive, so does their distance from civilized living. They start looking gaunt, their skin tightly holding to their muscle. Their movements become jittery and alarming when alerted, like those of a wolf or a hawk. The elation such creatures feel when running through the wilds becomes even more pronounced – as does their distaste for enclosed spaces, as they find it uncomfortable to spend even a short amount of time under a roof.
    Prerequisites: Sculpt Self feat, Survivor Creature, Tundra Creature.
    Benefits: The creature can travel across sand and sand crust at normal speed, without breaking through sand crust and leaving no tracks behind. Additionally, the creature can comfortably exist in temperatures as hot as 140 Fahrenheit without needing to make fortitude saves.
    Cost: 1,500 XP.

Predator Creature [Wilderness]
    At the peak of their journey, predator creatures are one with the wild. Even though their bodies are still human bodies, they acquire the ferocity and alertness of the wolf and the tiger. Their teeth sharpen (though not enough to gain a bite attack) and their eyes either become golden, or develop cat-like pupils. They become much more alert and in tune with their surroundings, and feel an irresistible need to almost constantly be on the move.
    Prerequisites: Desert Creature, Sculpt Self feat, Survivor Creature, Tundra Creature.
    Benefits: The creature gains the AC bonus and Unarmed Strike abilities of a 5th level monk. If the creature is a monk, they are instead treated as being 5 levels higher for those purposes.
    Cost: 5,200 XP.

Spoiler: Base Items and rules discussion
    Show
    The items on which the focus is based are as follows: Ring of Sustenance (Survivor, ring slot alteration), Boots of the Winterlands (Tundra, feet slot alteration), Sandals of the Shifting Sands (Desert, feet slot alteration) and Monk's Belt (Predator, waist slot alteration).
    Sandals are from sandstorm, the rest are from the DMG. Sandals also cost one and a half times as much as they should, because they rely on the feet slot, "in which" an alteration from this focus already exists.
    Survivor creature, as described, gives a version of ring of sustenance which is strictly nerfed. If this still counts as a custom magic item, despite solely being a nerf to the benefits of an existing item, please consider the Survivor Creature text to simply say one does not require food or water, and only requires 2 hours of sleep a night.
    Same goes for Monk's Belt, and the removal of the stunning fist benefit.

And... That's that! I'd like to research this focus, as well as invest xp into it during the coming months, should the research prove successful.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-01-26 at 03:10 PM.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    And... That's that! I'd like to research this focus, as well as invest xp into it during the coming months, should the research prove successful.
    You should be able to get the full ring of sustenance benefits, if you want them.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You should be able to get the full ring of sustenance benefits, if you want them.
    Oh, sure - but as explained in the dissection spoiler, I'd like to take the nerfed ones, if I could. Feels more thematic for what I'm going for.

Is that a yes on the focus, or just a note on the rules?

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. Hmm.

Construct armor doesn't do what I want in my case (other creatures can't take damage for me due to curse). Oh well. Guess I'll use real armor. Can craft in a fast time plane, so...

Spoiler: Mass Production of Minions
    Show

Hags have an interesting ability: Three of them can form a coven, which provides certain spell-like abilities usable with a specific action (full round, from all three hags), which works at the highest caster level available to any of the hags in the coven.

A Mute Hag provides CL 14.
    A Storm Hag also provides some more options.
    A Winter Hag adds Simulacrum and Sculpt Simulacrum.

Simulacrum as a full-round action, as an at-will spell-like, at CL 14.

Yeah. That's useful.

Spoiler: Building Bait
    Show

With mass production of simulacrum solars, I can take over one of those many little islands in the world where nobody lives due to no ready supply of fresh water. And have them build a fortress (via Wall of Stone and Stone shape, both on the Cleric list, in range of a Cleric-10). Just to see who goes after them. Leave one full Trompe L'oeil Solar there to supervise, do any needed 'heavy lifting' with spells, and to report back if anything happens.

Idea should be clear from the name: It's bait. If there's any meaningful organization that hunts supernaturals, this island will make fine bait to get them to reveal themselves.

I'll also dump a bunch of simulacrum's around places where healing is needed. Hospitals, poor countries, and so on. Also keep loose tabs on these ones, for the same reason.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-02-02 at 08:10 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

For my level-up, I'm taking another level of shaper of form, which allows me to cast polymorph—4th level spells, right on time at ECL 7, right?

In Pathfinder, I get Craft Wondrous Item as a feat and a new social talent in Always Prepared, and my familiar gains access to a new lyrakien form.

For 3PP, I'm improving my Creation sphere with two new talents, and buffing my familiar with Boon Companion.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Getting other crafting feats
    Show
    With Create Greater Demiplane (second minion I make - a Solar - can cast this) comes a nifty option: Timeless planes. When a plane is timeless with respect to magic, spells don't expire. So I use Paragon Surge on such a plane, and can have any feat I can qualify for for days - like, say, Forge Ring or Heighten Spell - at which point, I qualify to retrain one of my minions to have it.

Forge Ring lets my minions make Greater Rings of Spell Storing. I get two.
    Heighten Spell lets my minions load Rings of Spell Storing with 9th level versions of the spell loaded - which is good, due to the minimum caster level clause in a Ring of Spell Storing. A 9th takes CL 17, which is the highest requirement on Permanency.

Between the two techniques, I can now be "casting" 9th level spells "on my own". Fun times!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like the rules are that you get exactly enough XP to advance levels per year.

Therefore, if somebody at third level (3k XP) were to craft something worth 100 XP (in 3.5 at least), they would, the following year, advance to third level (5.9k XP). The following year, they would then gain 3k XP - enough to advance to the next level - and be 4th level, with 8.9k XP.

Whereas if they waited until level 4 to craft, they would gain 4k XP for two levels in a row.

So every level you delay your crafting, you gain an additional +1k XP, for use in further crafting. If you wait until level 19 to craft your first item, you'll spend two years at level 19, but be able to craft 19k XP of items.

This is a long way of saying I'm not looking into picking up any crafting feats any time soon. I'll take 12 levels of warlock at some point before level 20, and we'll worry about it then.

Am I misunderstanding any rules here?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    It looks like the rules are that you get exactly enough XP to advance levels per year.

Therefore, if somebody at third level (3k XP) were to craft something worth 100 XP (in 3.5 at least), they would, the following year, advance to third level (5.9k XP). The following year, they would then gain 3k XP - enough to advance to the next level - and be 4th level, with 8.9k XP.

Whereas if they waited until level 4 to craft, they would gain 4k XP for two levels in a row.

So every level you delay your crafting, you gain an additional +1k XP, for use in further crafting. If you wait until level 19 to craft your first item, you'll spend two years at level 19, but be able to craft 19k XP of items.

This is a long way of saying I'm not looking into picking up any crafting feats any time soon. I'll take 12 levels of warlock at some point before level 20, and we'll worry about it then.

Am I misunderstanding any rules here?
    If I understand correctly, the xp for expenses is completely detatched from leveling, which happens every time you post on a new year's thread.

My judgments and medals!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    If I understand correctly, the xp for expenses is completely detatched from leveling, which happens every time you post on a new year's thread.
    Aye. You don't level from XP gain or loss, you level from posting in the thread every year. Separately, you gain XP equal to what the amount in the RAW table for your new level is.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #255

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Damn. Then I guess my first 14 levels are locked to Warlock 12/Chameleon 2.
    This message board game is only on the seventh iteration. Max level at this point is 7.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    This message board game is only on the seventh iteration. Max level at this point is 7.
    And only that high if you actually posted every year. No post, no level.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

18. - Top - End - #258

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

To clarify, you get 1,000 xp per year, which is the maximum you can have. That's basically the same as if your level was based on xp, but not exactly, and you can't delay leveling up in order to have more xp to spend and things like that.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

What are you getting at?
    For purposes of this message board game, you are not level 16.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    For purposes of this message board game, you are not level 16.
    That was a plan for the future, I think. Earlier, bekeleven's post is this

Chaotic Neutral Human Warlock 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Aye. You don't level from XP gain or loss, you level from posting in the thread every year. Separately, you gain XP equal to what the amount in the RAW table for your new level is.
    More accurately, you gain xp gradually over time, with the rate being based on the RAW table for xp.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Another level of wizard. Instead of the 5th level wizard feat, I'll grab spontaneous divination.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Alrighty lets go, level 1.

Spoiler
    Show

Now, my main goal for what Im doing is to start as binder, take a level in some arcane class (Sha ir? Wizard?) around level 4, and then ride anima mage till the end.

But for now, we're just level 1.

So, stat layout we'll go for

Str 8
    dex 9
    con 11
    wis 10
    int 12
    cha 13

Additionally, we take the following flaws:
    - Methodical Magical Methods
    - Noncombatant

And in turn, we take the following feats:

- Ignore Special Requirements
    - Improved Binding
    - Expel Vestige
    - [Meta] Extend spell

So, its a bunch of stuff, and some of it isnt really useful for years from now (Extend spell is by definition useless at the moment), but with all that, I still get some pretty nice stuff. But the ability to gain any of the vestiges of 2nd or 1st level is pretty good, and the boost to my int/cha means that, even if I do make a bad pact, I can still get away with operating at "regular human me" capacity if I wish to ignore any influences.

The only downside at the moment is, until next year, I dont get the ability to hide vestige signs, which means that some vestiges might be a bit annoying to use. But hey, thats still 10 different vestiges I can summon and switch between.

Ah, skills. Cant forget those. with +1 int, thats 12 skill points to work with, with an additional 4 from human.

So, 4 Diplomacy, 2 Sense motive , 2 bluff, 2 for Knowledge(planes) and 4 intimidate, and then a final 2 for craft (Painting)

Diplomacy because its generally useful, sense motive because im regularly just kinda bad at that, bluff because im going binder, having a little bonus to lying would be useful (since like, drawing summoning circles and bringing forth otherworldly beings is out of the types of magics the least likely to have peoples support), and then the other two is so im nearly there for the Anima Mage requirements, and just need to drop a single point into each at some point. And then craft (Painting) is because its something I already like but definitely wish I was better at.

Language wise, we'll go with... Dutch and I guess Portuguese? Dutch feels decent since I've got family that speaks it, and Portuguese since I've got family that speaks that too, and going from barely competent at it to fully capable would be a good jump up

To finish this all off, I guess Ill look through the list of vestiges available to me and just make notes about things that I like about them.

Spoiler
    Show

1st level

Amon. So Amon's sign is a little bit annoying since we can't hide it, because having ram horns on your head isn't subtle. The upsides however, is primarily dark vision, which is nice. Fire breath and a ram attack aren't super useful, since I don't plan on killing anyone? But the fire breath could be a fun party trick.

Aym. Aym's sign is pretty subtle, since a brand on my left hand could be covered up with a glove. The influences aren't too bad either, with the 1st one just making me a bit of a jerk, and the 2nd being non-existent since dwarves dont exist. The fire resistance is cool, but its not very widely applicable, and the damage against objects is equally as cool, and equally as useful.

Leraje. Leraje's sign is a bit rough, because looking sick and disgusting is not really easy to hide. The influence is easy, since there are no elves. The bonus's are nice, giving us low-light vision, but not much else is helpful often.

Narberius. The sign's can be decently easy to explain away by just saying "Sorry, I'm a bit sick" (though at the moment that still isn't that great with everything happening). The influence is could theoretically be an upside since it on the side gives the confidence to speak, but the shouting is a pain. Now for upsides, Disguise Self is actually what made me want this build, because an at will appearance change, from small details to whole person, is super fun. The only shame is that with a con of 11, we cant get anything from Naberius skills, though at some point we might take a +1 to con to be able to have that as a thing we can have floating around to use as needed.

Ronove. The sign is uncomfortable, and the influence could be annoying mentally. The far hand ability is a fun thing to have that'll scale a bit better in a few years. Feather fall isnt actively useful, but the ability is still fun. Move speed is cool

2nd level

Dahlver Nar. Nothing here is useful to me

The Green Lady. The sign isnt easy to hide, but honestly its really cool so I don't care too much, so long as I'm not trying to be subtle. The influence isn't too bad, it just makes me more annoying and a bit germaphobic. The upsides are quite cool, with a +2 bonus to charisma and access to a 1st level wizard spell of my choice, which means I could gain further access to utility stuff like Comprehend Languages, Mount, Unseen Servant, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Silent Image, and other non-srd spells too. Honestly, its probably the most useful out of the bunch available to me because of how versatile it is, especially since the spell I choose can be used infinitely, so long as I wait the 5 round cooldown.

Haagenti. The sign isn't nice, and the influence is just cringe inducing. And for all this trouble, I don't get anything worthwhile.

Malphas. The sign can be managed with a face mask, and the influence feels like it would end up causing a lot of trouble for myself while it is in play. The abilities however are pretty cool, giving me a bird pet, temporary invisibility (though 6 seconds isnt super useful at this level). Overall, decently cool because bird pet.

Savnok. The sign is no trouble, and the influence isnt actually that bad depending on the circumstance, and may even be an upside. Summoning armour is cool, and move ally might be good at later levels, but at the moment doesnt do much.

Edit 10/05/2022: Came back to this post because I felt like giving a bit more detail into my choice of flaws, as well as the use of character traits

Flaws are a valuable way for us to get additional feats, but of course, the downside of min-maxing in this specific thread is that well, you suffer from those weaknesses. My choice of flaws goes to non-combatant and Methodical Magical Methods. Non Combatant weakens my abilities to engage in melee combat by imposing a -2 on all my melee attack rolls. while this may be rough for an adventurer, in real life, where I don't plan to go around attacking people? That isn't much of a loss. Methodical Magical Methods on the other hand, makes it so I'm flat footed while casting spells. Again, risky in a fight, but thats not much of an issue.

More interestingly in my eyes are character traits, which I havent seen much of in these threads. Because well, sure, the bonus and unbonus that they give are better for specializing your character, for this scenario they have an added effect: Altering your personality. For instance, becoming Abrasive doesnt just mean you get a +1 on intimidate, and a -1 to diplomacy and bluff, but it also alters your personality to make you well, abrasive. This means that theres an added layer to it. Would you accept the +1 to bluff, if it made you act more dishonest all the time? Or, the other way around, would you accept becoming more easy going, if you'd accept the -1 to sense motiv. + intimidate? Its pretty fascinating

So, as for myself, ive chosen one for the stats, and one for the personality change.
    For the stat boost, Im taking absent minded, with the example of "characters with this trait might be extremely articulate but still allow their thoughts to move faster than the pace of a conversation." describing the change in personality. Since yeah, becoming better thinking and knowledge to me is a great trade off to being less perceptive, and personality wise, I'm not the greatest at focusing anyways, so this mostly would just exxagerate my own personality

For polite, we get a +1 to diplomacy, -2 to intimidate. Stat wise, boosting Dip is good for sha ir, and for general interacting with people, and intimidate isnt as often a needed skill in real life. Personality wise, being more generally adept at interacting with people nicely, or at least having the ability to do so when needed, feels like it would be pretty nice.

Summary:

Levels: Binder 1

Str 8
    Dex 9
    Con 11
    Wis 10
    Int 12
    Cha 13

Feats:
    - Ignore Special Requirements
    - Improved Binding
    - Expel Vestige
    - [Meta] Extend Spell

Character Traits:
    Polite (+1 to diplomacy, -2 to intimidate)
    Absent Minded (+1 to knowledge checks, -1 to spot and listen)

Flaws:
    Methodical Magical Methods
    Non-combatant

Skills: Diplomacy +4, Sense Motive +2, Bluff +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +2, Intimidate +4, Craft (Art) +2, Speak Language (Dutch), Speak Language (Portuguese).
    Last edited by NCat; 2022-05-15 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Shuffled a skill rank allocation to be able to qualify for a feat, fixing a previous mistake.

25. - Top - End - #265

Ah and question, I know we're able to take flaws (they are discussed in the starting post) but are we able to take Character Traits traits as well? Since if so I'll probably pick up one or two

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    New year, new level and gaining +1 BAB, +1 Fort and Will, a new pact empowerment, a new clause, and a new shape. Decided to bold the changes.

Alignment: NE(CN)
    Race: Human(Heart of the Snows)
    Class: Avowed(Weaver Pact) 4
    Attributes: Str 12, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 13
    BAB: +3
    HP: 32
    Feats: Additional Traits, Intuitive Recitation, Silent Recitation, Point-Blank Shot, Power Attack
    Traits: Blood of the Dragon(Low-Light Vision), Pragmatic Polytheist
    Flaws: Light Sensitivity
    Qualities: Heart of the Snows (-1 temp band in cold climates, +2 on fort vs cold climate effects, slipping and falling, and against trip attempts), Pact (Weaver), Clauses, Aether Pulse, Pact Attunement (Climb speed and silk creation with with varied strand types), Pact Sense (nearby spiders and Detect Magic), Spider Bites (Bite attack with weak dexterity poison, plus dermal plating and minor resistance towards spider venom)
    Clauses: I Go Where I Please, Resonant Pulse (M), Vermin Love Me (Spiders), Spider Lord I
    Shapes: Aether Bolt I, Aether Breath (cone) I, Aether Burst II

With my new level I grew some nice fangs and a good set of dermal plating. Looks like all of my training with Discount Fireball payed off since I can now hurl it far further before it detonates. I've also learned how to call on some of my patron's more dangerous children to help me from time to time. Additionally, I've figured out my form of immortality, though actually acquiring it will require some changes to my future plans. Not a bad thing, mind you, but it's a little more than just a restructuring. I will need to get my hands on a special kind of far realms symbiote though...
    Support for my theory continues to accrue at an alarming rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    So 2015 was an encounter that gave enough XP to level a character up to 1st.

2016, to 2nd. (This is where things started getting deadly for celebs and weird for the rest of us).

The years have been getting crazier until 2020 (the craziest one yet) gives enough XP to level us to 6th.

What forces have we been meddling with?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axios
    An invasive species of spider the size of a child's hand is expected to “colonize” the entire East Coast this spring by parachuting down from the sky, researchers at the University of Georgia announced last week.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=45

Short answer: I'll take another level of Vigilante. I'll edit in the details later when I don't have a headache.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

More Arcane Spellcaster for me.

I should probably look and see what that makes me at some point.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Add another Druid level for Druid3 most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

30. - Top - End - #270

Question, Precocious Apprentice would be a very valuable thing for my build, and would probably swap the order of a good few things im doing, making what im doing much more efficient

The problem is that it has a requirement of a casting skill of 15 at level 1, which with the given stat allocations isnt really possible for us?

Should there be an exemption, or did I miss anything? Or is the only way to do so to go sans a feat and go with complacent human for the +2?

Because yeah, if I can get precoc-apprentice, that changes the whole way I start this build essentially

Edit: On actual revisit to this thread, I remember why I built my thing the way I did. While on further rules reading, I do have to slow down future plans to a year later, thats an acceptable loss to be honest, since binder 1 isnt something I really want to give up to be honest.

With that said, Im going to go look at and add some Character Traits, since I didnt add them originally
    Last edited by NCat; 2022-05-09 at 07:13 PM.