New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default IC Keep on the Borderlands (5e) Dragonlance

OOC thread

Keep on the Borderlands

It is first thaw, and seeking new opportunities, you recently set out on the road to Dargoth Keep - The Keep on the Borderlands. On the way you find yourself joined by folk of every stripe; vagrants, homesteaders, merchants, and wanderers. With you travel several heavy wagons laden with stonework, while alone and on foot are people. Families in wagons or partners driving animals, they all have stories to tell, and you have days or even weeks together to get to know them, and they are certainly interested in you - no mere farmers or settlers, you tend to stand out. Many of them speak Solamnic, but most can settle for at least choppy common.

"Hello, stranger. Have some stew. See, I've been at odds with my landlord for many years, and though it cost us, I got our debts settled and brought our remaining goats along hoping to settle a small patch of fresh earth where we can start anew. What's your story? "

The closest major city is Gaarlus, capital the Solamnic province of Gaardlund, which you saw days ago and sits safely on the southern bank of the Watching River. You passed a number of small villages and farming communities north of the Watching, but they dwindled away until only a lonely, understaffed watchtower slumped in disinterest as your train rattled northward. On you went, trundling for days around gentle hills bearing wild undergrowth, unkempt copses of trees and the vestiges of ancient construction; the ruins of whole towns seemingly forgotten for ages. For all intents and purposes, civilization ended fifty miles behind you, and you are entering what travelers are now calling Dargoth Vale.

The drovers of the heavy wagons seem pretty comfortable and appear to have made this journey before. They'll share a drink an a game of dice to help while away the monotony. If you join them, you may make a Charisma check to learn what they know.

At last among hills and dense forest you spy a few new-looking farmhouses here are there across wide miles of tall grass, and when the train turns east, with under a backdrop of mountain in the distance, you see the vale proper for the first time. It is not impressive. Just a large valley between impenetrable woodlands, bound further by a small river, though you note a barge tied at what might be a quay or a just a large tree stump. You are too far off to tell for certain. Before you, nearly under the shadow of a great massive slab of rock, lies a sprawling, filthy village. Hundreds of tents, lean-tos, and shacks sagging with heavy blankets or animal skins sit in a layer of muck as the ground softens. These people had obviously just passed through the winter huddled here together with little but what they could carry, and they are desperate for news, goods, and coin. Everywhere are animals tied up, boxed, or roaming free - dogs, chickens, rodents, sheep, a few cows, and a great many pigs.

"Them are nice breeches; I'll trade you all my skins here for them." "Pot of hot rabbit stew is on - join me for a silver." "Look at that steel - another bastard mercenary then, like we need more." "Have you news of work? They promised there would be more work."

At the center of all this, which you hear called alternately Dargoth Town, Darton, and Camp Dargoth, are more proper buildings, though not what you'd call much of a village. These structures, while basic, are sturdy and set apart with modest neighborliness in mind. These appear to be both homes and shops of various sorts - including a hastily-painted sign outside one large structure promising warm companionship. Here you also see several armed men in thick hides.

Spoiler: Central camp 3
    Show

Many travelers have broken away from the train by this point, but you continue on, knowing there's plenty of time. A half mile beyond the camp is the great stone mesa, atop which stands the famed keep. A broad, smooth road winds around the side of the mount to a massive gate, and you cannot help but be impressed. This is no hastily-built motte and bailey keep, but a true fortress with massive walls and considered defenses. And not only did it look incredibly new, but there were still huge wooden cranes hauling cubed stones into place for waiting bricklayers.

Spoiler: Keep 3
    Show

Approaching the gate was slow going - a pair of spear-bearing guards in simple red gambesons and helms checks through each person's bags for who-knows-what as a dark-haired young man scribbles notes in a ledger. Nearby, a massively rotund gent sits under the portcullis on a three-legged stool that cries out for sympathy as he shifts his weight. Seeing armed persons, he hefts himself upward, leaning on his spear, and with an accent as thick as his jowls and red cheeks, says, "Oy, there. Welcome to Dawgoff Keep. 'Efore you go any further, know that I'm Corporal Jansen and I remember every face uh see. So's that's out the way, state your names and business."

Jensen continues, looking at each of you intently, "Widdin, you will find accommodations, drink, and a jobs board. But Bailiff Montgomery is in charge, so you mind, and access to the inner bailey is off-limits."
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2021-12-06 at 11:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC Keep on the Borderlands (5e) Dragonlance

Aria took in the travelers in the wagon with apt, if not disguised, interest. She had never really had friends and had a hard time imagining any of them would become that but a number of them might end up as her new coworkers. When she had failed to complete her mission she had started this 'new life' as she deemed it but she wasn't entirely sure what that entailed. She had never had the freedom to make her own choices. Now she did. Yay me, she thought with just a hint of sarcasm.

She sat across from the other eating stew taking in their stories. Some poor saps, with unfortunate tales. Then it came her turn to reply. "I had a falling out with my parents. You know how it goes... I had to move out, get a job, that sort of thing." Nothing that was a lie, but she wasn't exactly ready to share that her parents ruled an assassin stronghold. Ya, she'd leave that part out for a bit.

As they continued into the makeshift village, she was assaulted with the many sounds and sights of what she had only seen up till now in a town square. She nearly indulged herself in bartering before remembering that before she started spending her limited supply of money, she needed a job. Ya that thing. Keeping her sights focused instead on the fortress she waited through the long line before appearing before the constable.

Aria stepped forward eager to be out of the wind and into the keep. Aria Olivier she lied about her last name. Deception: [roll0]. "Skilled at fighting, looking for work. So... anything else or can I come in now?" she smiled in mock sweetness.
    Last edited by clash; 2021-11-16 at 12:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Deception (1d20+2)[3]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The images don't load for me.

Heart, arriving from the forests, waits patiently as the Corporal addresses the person in front of her. She nervously hits the keys on her flute-not playing anything, just a fidget of impatience and worry.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Zara

Zara feels a little uneasy travelling in Solamnia, for all her ancestors hail from here. As a Knight of Takhisis of old she would be in for a rough time in the admittedly unlikely event of anyone recognising her. Still she carries herself with the pride of a true aristocratic lady, her thick dark hair cut short but not too short, her fine cloak on her shoulders, her scale mail armour polished and spotless, an elegant sabre at her belt.

She speaks to the drovers, hoping to learn more of these lands, even rolling the dice gamely though dragonchess was more her style.

Spoiler: Charisma
    Show
    (1d20+1)[9]

At the gates she nods in greeting to the good corporal.

"I am Zara Uth Drangor, a mage-knight," stated regally, "originally of Palanthas," she lied, "and journeying in search in search of mystical secrets." That last statement was true enough.

Spoiler: Deception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[17]

6. - Top - End - #6

Seeing the other person approach, Heart carefully places her flute back in its case, and bounds over. "Hello there! I am Heart, of the Nordmaar Forest. I'm... Well, I'm not exactly 100% sure what I'm doing here, honestly, but I did hear rumblings of people who could use some support. I'd be happy to lend a hand or two!"

She smiles a touch nervously at the Corporal, standing there at her not-so-impressive 5' of height. She's dressed in simple leather armor, its brown contrasting her red fur, with a pack over her back and a necklace with a small but very shiny rock set in its wooden center.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Royse Mide, Paladin of Vengence

Royse hadn't registered when the goatherd began speaking. His attention had been set firmly in the distance, back the way they'd came, with a telemetry not measured in miles but minutes. An occurrence that was becoming more frequent as of late. How many years had it been since he'd last seen the Watching River? Certainly long enough that he'd exchanged his dark crown for white one. Long enough to forget some of the details and, apparently, his manners. The story telling had rounded his way and Royse wasn't prepared for it.

"Apologies," a request and a contrition as the reverie broke, "I was thinking of something else. I am an errant, a former knight. My glories... lose much in the telling. Our goals are the same though. A new start. Perhaps there I'll find a story worth repeating."
    Though the answer was vague, the armor he wore was far more direct with an answer. Midnight mingling with ebony and crimson. Takhisis' armor. The garb of a dark knight bound up with all the feelings that could evoke. Though the reputation was dire, Royse owned the fouled expectations of others with a reserved wit, steady judgement, and a willing hand when help was needed. Perhaps that was why, days later, the drovers invited him to a game of dice.

Show
    Charisma(1d20+3)[16]

The trip was pleasant. The roughness of the road was nothing he wasn't already used to. It was said that for all her wrath, Chislev could extend her peace to those that appreciated her gifts. Royse, with the gentle breeze around them, had that peace for a time. It wasn't to last when they met the throng on their approach to the infamous keep. People clinging to the promise who had failed to grasp it. One voice in particular caught Royse's attention.

"Have you news of work? They promised there would be more work."

Though he did want to offer an answer, he had none. That remained ahead ensconced in new stone. Despite the impressive exterior he had an inkling, just from the state of Dargoth Town, of what sort of men resided within. He also finally had a chance to appraise the sort of people he'd be working with. A teenager that was oddly armed and prepared, cat from a place he'd never heard of with the attention span one could expect from a feline, and a knight that seemed jarringly familiar. There were questions he'd ask of the last one, but first he had questions of his own to answer.

"My name is Royse Mide, former Knight of the Skull," he answered directly, the evasion being beneath the low appraisal he had of Jensen, "I've come here looking for purpose. Until I find it, work will have to do."
    Last edited by herastor; 2021-11-16 at 07:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Brookgreen (March) 14, 430 AC

Discussion with your fellow travelers reveals little but a litany of expectedly bleak tales – not altogether dissimilar to your own –of folk down on their luck and hoping for a better morrow in a new land. Some of you make enough effort to co-exist with your fellow travelers to allay many suspicions, though many of them get the feeling Aria in particular is being dismissive or vague. They mostly figure she isn't interested in sharing and wishes to be left to herself.

Though weapons and dark armor still remain a threat in the eyes of your average farmer, the war was long ago, and the glory days of the dark knights is in the past; there’s some chatting in Solamnic and one man notes your very presence makes that case. “If the luster ain’t gone off the gem, you’d still be holding it tight, would be my guess. Name’s Jeremiah of Cuttingham. Damnedest thing, naming a logging camp that - only for it to grow into a village with no trees around for miles. A man needs work, and I need trees. Legends say the whole of the Nightlund Forest hasn’t been touched in centuries. Can you imagine?” With a big grin he pantomimes swinging an axe.

Heart finds the going particularly trying, for as much as she remains hidden or apart from these simple folk, their guileless wonder and interest in her remains non-stop, as do the questions and intrusions by the children, some of whom have taken to daring each other to flick Heart’s whiskers or yank her tail.

Spoiler: Zara
    Show
    a striking figure in her own right, is accustomed to the attention various single and not-so-single men show her – at least until she places a hand on her sword hilt. – While playing dice, Zara can’t tell if her opponents are more attracted by her appearance or dissuaded by her arms, and though they outwardly enjoy the game they remain a bit on edge and tight-lipped until they realize you don’t speak Solamnic. From that point half the conversation is in the native tongue, but you do pick up that they have had regular work hauling stone blocks and other supplies to Dargoth Vale for the better part of a year and will miss it when it inevitably ends, as it has for a dozen other drovers from Gaardlund.

Spoiler: Royse
    Show
    finds the travelers warm to his calm and polite nature, forgiving the raiment of a conflict they barely understood to begin with. The drovers, with a few drinks and winning hands of dice in them, reveal they have had regular work hauling stone blocks and other supplies to Dargoth Vale for the better part of a year and will miss it when it inevitably ends, as it has for a dozen other drovers from Gaardlund. In fact, considering the entire Nightlund region went untouched for centuries, they are astonished at the speed with which the keep was constructed and the resources that went into it. They heard a young noble couple from Gaarlus wanted to be the first to take advantage of the new opportunities presented by the lifting of the Curse of Soth. It did take a decade, of course, but superstition runs deep and it’s a sizable investment even for nobles. They’ve heard any number of rumors around the Vale; the keep was erected so quickly there are still offices available in the bailey; a number of adventuring bands have arrived recently and taken to clearing the area of perceived threats with verve; that a unicorn was seen north of the Vale; that a mysterious thief called The Night Chime has plagued the camp all winter; that the keep’s main defenders appear to be brutish, undisciplined mercenaries. You suspect you can learn much more in the camp and keep.

Lies, truths, excuses, and sarcasm bounce off the impenetrable wall of apathy that is Corporal Jansen. The young clerk nearby scribbles away unabated while the rotund guard’s small eyes seem to take in every physical detail. “Well, look at you, little pussycat.” He thoughtlessly reaches out to scratch Heart between the ears and then waves you all past. “All right then, in you go.”

OOC: You are all here for essentially the same reason and have traveled together for days, during which I assumed you introduced yourselves. If nothing else, you are acutely aware that you are all seeking work and have skills beyond those of the commoners you traveled with. So what now?

Can y'all see the images now?
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2021-11-17 at 12:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Show
    I cannot see the images.

Heart, having had a few experiences with travelers who worried she was some form of tricksy beast, does not give in to her instincts to hiss at the man who treats her like some housecat. She does, however, move quickly away from him. "Right! Onwards, then," she says as she walks into the encampment.

As the group walks in, Heart does her best to not ogle her companions' armor. "You guys seem like you're armed for a bear," she says to Aria, Zara, and Royse. "It's so clanky, but... The craftsmanship is really quite something! In Nordmaar, or at least my part of it, we don't have the infrastructure really needed to make large crafts like that. Not from metal, at least."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Aria glanced around deciding where she should go before being interrupted by Heart. Aria smiled at her remark resisting the urge to ask about Heart's unique appearance. "it's always best to be ready for trouble but I agree. The armors nice but so... loud and restrictive. How do you guys move in it?
    Personally I find it better to just not get hit."
    she shrugged nonchalantly.

"So are you guys mercenaries as well? You look like you can fight at least." If she was going to work with them she might as well learn something about them. Back home in the guild she had a good grasp of what all of her peers were capable of. Unfortunately, not much, but there was a reason they were still in training she supposed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    I can't see the images either.

With Jensen's hand wave, Royse hefted his pack and followed the others into the keep. The rumors the drovers had provided him were true in regard to the sentries here. Then the same might be true for the other rumors. In any case they'd need to set themselves up within the keep and, perhaps, turn their casual acquaintance into something more formal.

"You learn to carry the weight of it until it becomes like a second skin," he answered Aria, though making sure to include Heart in his disclosure, "Anything less and you'd have more luck hiding behind a rock or, as you put it, learning not to get hit in the first place. I the midst of a massed combat I'd prefer the armor. It's too easy to be pinned down when you have nowhere to dodge and glancing blows are common. But you've piqued my curiosity Heart, what else could you make the armor from other than metal?"

Royse cleared his throat. He was getting off topic.

"Beyond the intricacies of what I'm wearing there was something I wanted to discuss with you all before chance splits us to the winds. Technically I might be considered a mercenary, although I far prefer being called an errant, there is not much to be gained by being a lone one. If we pool our talents, much as other groups in the area have, then we stand a better chance of being successful in our pursuits. Beyond the job boards I've heard there are other tasks that need doing and offices in the bailey left vacant. If you agree with my proposal, then might I suggest we figure out where we will lay our heads once night comes."

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Aria visibly sized Royse up then looked over the others, considering his offer. He looked competent if not trustworthy. "I wouldn't mind having someone to watch my back. " she consented. It was why the full member assassins, strong as they were, always worked in pairs. "Just don't get any funny ideas at night" she started stepping protectively in front of heart. "I've heard of what some of the older men do with young girls"

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Zara Uth Drangor

Zara had noticed Royse of course as a fellow Knight of Takhisis, and even exchanged careful words with him. Sufficient at least to understand he was no longer with the Order, though he had retained the armour. It was similar to that she had worn herself, if heavier (Zara had muscles but she was far more wiry and nimble than heavy set and favoured medium armours.) She admired his confidence to still wear his symbols and felt a tiny pang of loss at seeing them again.

The cat woman Heart was astonishing; Zara had vaguely heard of such exotic folk but never actually met one. At the mention of her armour Zara smiled wryly. "Believe me it has it's uses, though I concede it is rather lacking in stealth."

The other human woman, Aria, was a bit of a mystery to Zara though she was clearly capable and intelligent and Zara took notice of her stepping in front of Heart. As someone who often attracted attention (sometimes intentionally) she appreciated that!

"I at least am indeed a mercenary, though like you Royse I would sooner think myself a knight errant. I have knowledge of the blade and a little magic and I think it is a wise idea to join forces in these dangerous lands."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show
    Still can't see the images.

Now Royse's face was often schooled into a very neutral expression. The white beard made it even more difficult to tell what the man was feeling at any given time. Despite those facts it was easy to see the deepening frown that crossed his features. The thought had never crossed his mind, especially with two girls that were probably a quarter of his age, and he said as much.

"That is province of base men with too much libido and too little integrity. I don't have anything other than my word, but I give it. You'll be safe at night with me. In any case we seem to be agreed unless... Heart, what say you?"

Show
    Are there any inns that are clearly visible or will we have to travel further in or to Dargoth Town to find one?
    Last edited by herastor; 2021-11-18 at 12:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Heart's face breaks into a broad smile. "I'd love to make some new friends! We can work together-I know we can do whatever we set our minds to." She reaches out for whichever two of her new friends are nearest, and pulls them into a hug.

After a moment or two, giving everyone a chance to join the hug if they want, she lets go, still with visible happiness. "If we're gonna work together, we should probably lay our skills out. I'm a decent hand with the agile weapons-daggers and other light ones like that-and I can sneak around very well. My charm," she shows her necklace to them, "has some magic to it. It can, pretty much at-will, let me empower little tasks, just making them a bit easier. It can make clouds of fog, make people run faster, and charm animals, though all that's kinda limited in how much it can do. And, no more than once per day, it can make me and anyone else nearby really, really sneaky. Even you clanking armored folks!"

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Aria nodded accepting Royse's answer as truth then involuntary stiffened when Heart hugged her. She wasn't used to feeling vulnerable and had to resist the urge to push her away but it ended quickly enough Heart had done nothing wrong, no need to overreact. That would be a great way to make friends.

"I can go next" she forced herself to focus on Heart's words rather than how much the simple act had unsettled her "I generally don't struggle with much. I'm fast and stronger than I look. I'm great at hand to hand combat. I can easily take on a skilled opponent or take care of a few thugs on my own. I like my warfan the best but I'm trained with a few different weapons and pretty handy without weapons too."

"What about you, Zara was it?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Within the gate is a street that leads past several long, tall buildings, including a public stable, and there is a large tower at the end on your left. As you talk, recall at least three points of interest were mentioned.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Zara

At Aria's question Zara smiled and drew her long, slender curved sabre, elegantly slicing at the air before returning said weapon to her scabbard. "I can handle myself in a fight and as I said I can cast a spell or two. I can also ride dragons, though sadly there are few available here for me to show off that skill."

She gestures ahead with a gloved hand. "The man mentioned a jobs board. I suggest we check it out, then find lodgings, food and drink."

19. - Top - End - #19

Heart nods. "That sounds like an excellent plan," she says, and takes point of the group, walking for the board of quests.

As the group walks, she asks "Do any of you have musical talent? I can play the flute, and I've been told my voice is good for singing, but I'm not really good at carrying a tune with only my mouth. I feel like music is something that you can share, even if you don't have anything else in common."

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

It’s roughly midday, and as you pass the tower to your left, you note a rudimentary blade sign reading only “Bailiff.” Further on to your left, along the western wall, are a number of small apartments, while numerous other buildings, including a smithy, stretch out and along a road leading east – and toward the inner bailey. As you’d heard, some of them do appear unoccupied. You find a busy open square, though it seems busy mostly with construction and arguments.

While commoners wander past in conversation or carrying buckets or skins of water, a pair of bricklayers argues with a slick-haired gnome in a longcoat and a dozen other workers in warm, protective cotton coveralls and various caps linger in a corner around a big pile of stone, lumber, and tools. A far-from-finished public well seems to be the subject of argument, or at least one of them. A portable crane lies dismantled on a cart nearby, happily ignored by a donkey which brays and relieves itself voluminously.

Large two-story buildings create the corner here; one bearing an unadorned plaque hanging from chains etched with the words, “Rockslide’s Cegger.” The other’s front door is invitingly open, but resting against the wall at a funny angle is a random wooden plank covered in multiple layers of paint, the latest of which is a garish yellow and upon which, in sloppy black lettering, reads, “INN.”

On the tavern’s exterior wall is a haphazard wooden shelter protecting the local jobs board. In various states of dilapidation and handwriting are notices, some of which are written in Solamnic, and so you may have to ask passersby for assistance:

“Ancient records and current rumors suggest that within this region lies an ancient mine, forgotten since before the Cataclysm, and filled with warring bands of monsters. Find this mine system, these Caves of Chaos, make it safe, and you shall be handsomely rewarded.” – Lord Christofson

“Royal surveyor seeks protective escorts during forays into countryside. Inquire at apartment 7B.”

“New resident families seek aid with homebuilding, planting. Will provide meals, shelter. Find Arcos due east.”

“Strong backs and smart heads needed to place milestones along the road. Terms negotiable. Inquire at guildhall.”

“Wolves howl and hobs prowl. Scour the Dargoth Road for dangers to make safe our lifeline to the south. Inquire at guildhall.”

“Business opportunities within bailey. Trade store, bank needed. Only serious applicants with recommendations and capital will be considered. Inquire with Bailiff Montgomery.”
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2021-11-22 at 04:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

She looks over the job listings. "Well, looking at the list... Guildhall seems a good bet. That, or maybe apartment 7B? The surveyor's probably at risk when they do their job."

Once she's had her look-see at the board, she glances her way towards the donkey. She's looking for any signs of neglect or cruelty, but hoping that the animal is being treated well.

Show
    (1d20)[5] Check to see how the donkey's doing.

Add +5 if Nature applies, +2 for Animal Handling.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Aria watched with intrigue the different business both already occupied and those in need of someone to run it mentally logging those that would provide useful resources for her own endeavors. I dabbled with the ukulele". She responded absent mindedly. "We all had to learn at least one"

After satisfying hey curiosity at the job board she turned to respond to heart's suggestion.

"None of these seem urgent, at least the ones I can read. If it's all the same to you I could use a hot meal and a drink, and fingers crossed for a hot bath. I like where your head is at but I would just as soon get started in the morning. Gotta have a little fun right?"

She motioned towards the front doors of the inn.
    Last edited by clash; 2021-11-22 at 01:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The suggestion of the job board received no argument from Royse. He followed along at their pace, idly listening to the boasts and banter. He missed the dragons too, standing in the presence of power that could easily shape the world. When the subject of music and performing it came up... There was a pained sigh as the memory crystalized in his mind.

"I did dabble with a recorder once. It's for the best that I never tried to play again."

At the job board he did need Heart's help to read the notices, Solamnic never being his strong suit to begin with. What he heard brought another other memories. Ones of lands the knights used to occupy. There were places that were held just to be held. No value other than being a tract of land that someone far away deemed too important to ignore. This was that sort of place.

He should've seen it before. That place had, so far, probably failed to produce anything to justify its existence. That was clear from the destitution in Dargoth Town. Even the adventurers who bled coffers without much more than quick solutions. Meanwhile the Lord was chasing a fable that may or may not exist. Gods, this was going to be a far harder task than he'd originally envisioned. He did saw he'd come seeking purpose. It looked like it found him.

"They might be more urgent than you realize Aria. This place feels familiar in a way that doesn't leave me feeling at ease. I do think we should secure lodging first, but we should look into some of these notices while we still have daylight."

24. - Top - End - #24

Heart nods. "Lodging, grooming, and then work," she says. "When you say familiar, Royse, what do you mean?" Her eyes light up a little bit, and she continues, excited. "Ooh! Is this a family home? Are you reclaiming lost heritage? Are you some kind of long-lost noble, or... Well, um, I dunno! But we'll be here for you, all the way!" she adds, already including her newfound friends in her fanciful excitement. "But, we should find lodging first! And maybe a meal too. Can't be heroic on an empty stomach!"

She approaches one of the workers. "Excuse me!" she says, getting attention. "Is the Cegger better than Inn? Or are they comparable, or... You know, newcomers, looking for a nice place to settle in. Any advice, friend?"

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Fountain Square

While Royse ruminates on old times and considers just what he's walked in to - and whether he should commit to it - Heart finds a strange kind of welcome. The moment the closest worker truly focuses on her appearance he gulps and stammers and launches into excited Solamnic. Emperor's iron balls, what's happened to you? I think the girl's been cursed. You aught to forget dinner and find a priest. Leastways the Cegger's just a tavern and the inn's got food and beds.

Others join in the curiosity and it quickly becomes a great distraction for the bored men. Eventually the gnome approaches and, with a bit of pointed shouting to get the unruly back in order, turns his race's well-established peculiarity on Heart with a gale force of incomprehensible jabber. Gnomes are feared across Ansalon for their ability to speak nonstop at a rate nobody can follow, and he directs orders, questions, and theories at everybody nearby, though they all go unanswered. "Ihavehadmorethanenoughofyourlollygaggingandidtrac tionsforonedaysogetbackinlineandrecountyourgearwhi leIsortthismesswithwiththefinegentlemanworkingsodi lligentlyonthefountaininhisproffessionaloeuvredesp itehismostunpleasantanddisagreeablenatureandhardhe adedunwillingnesstoseethingsfromapurelyfiscalpersp ectiveandwhoareyouspeakingwithoverhereohmygoodness whatonKrynnisthissomegirlcoveredinfurandlookingsom uchlikeacatinthemostunlikelywaycanshespeakshe'sdre ssedasanintelligentpersonbutitisastrangeoldworldaf terallareyouwellgirlanddoyourrequirehelpofsomesort IseeyouaretravelingwithcompanionssoImustassumeyoua recaredforandhowdidyoucometobeinsuchastateandisitc atchingorarewesafefromsometerriblekittypox..." etc. etc.

The rest of you understand none of the words spoken during all this, but the meaning is perfectly clear.

When things settle down, the first worker says he'd be happy to tell you all he knows for some information of your own - and a few beers. However the the gnome, staring, gets them back to work and asks you to direct your questions either to off-shift folks in the tavern or Bailiff Montgomery.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2021-11-24 at 08:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Aria sighed in resignation dousing her hope of a hot bath. She too could tell enough about the state of affairs to know that Royce was right. When people started swarming heart she once again felt compelled to step in protectively. The girl just seemed so innocent, so naive.

"Alright" she consented "let's get to it then. At the very least I'm sure we can take care of those wolves today" she suggested. It was easy enough that she couldn't really complain and something that required her talent to achieve. "The inn then the guild hall" she agreed with the general consensus.

It wasn't so bad she decided. It would take what, a week? To clear the job board and make some money and then they could relax for a bit. The sooner they started, the sooner she could enjoy herself.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Heart, true to her name, honed in on the exact angle he was hoping to avoid explaining. While he struggled to process the barrage of questions and how to answer them, she was already off again. True to her nature she seemed to find trouble. As the people gathered around her, Royse took the opposite side of heart as a tangible, physical barrier. The girl had nothing on the gnome though. Royse weathered that just about as well as anybody. As the crowd dispersed he found his opportunity to dispute the wild theories.
    "Thank you for the assurances, but it's nothing so grand or exciting. No, more shame and regret. In my youth I commanded garrisons like these. Nothing on this scale, but I did allow the warning signs of ruin and corruption to fester unopposed. I don't absolve myself of these acts..."

He looked at Zara, a kindred soul, "But I was a different person back then."

28. - Top - End - #28

When the questioning starts, Heart tries to explain that that's just who she is, but finds herself unable to overcome the barrage of people. She assures them that she's fine, and thanks them all for their attention. As the gnome foreman directs his workers to stop being lazy, she looks sheepish. "Sorry, sir. Thank you for your time, all of you!"

As the group approaches the inn, Heart cocks her head at Royse. "I won't pry," she says, "but I am curious. Explain as much or as little as you'd like-but you seem like a good person to me. Whatever you did before... What matters is what you do now. The past is the past, and nothing will change that-but you're not the past you. You're the current you, and will be the future you-and I know that those yous are good yous!" she adds, stepping towards Royse and putting an arm around the much taller man. "If you ever want someone to pep you up, I'm here! If you're feeling down or guilty or anything bad like that... I'm here. Now, let's see what kind of eats they have here!"

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Haverna’s Inn

You continue your conversation, leaving the workers and argument and find yourselves in an open, plain space with some of the blandest, basic woodwork you’ve ever seen. The place was obviously thrown together with leftover woodcuts by amateurs – likely saving quite a bit of money – and not a lick it has yet been polished yet. With the door and windows open and candles and lamps lit, it’s quite bright within. You upon a large dining room with a half-dozen tables, a gracious hearth nearby, and an expansive common room and another hearth beyond. There's a work desk to your left upon which rests an open ledger. Next to the book is a beautifully written note stating, “Lost items? Ask management!” Every surface seems cluttered with oddities and knickknacks. A common coin, a toy soldier, a stuffed bird, an ornate hair comb, a dragonfly in a jar, a handful of wilted flowers, a stringless violin, a receipt for two sacks of flour, a silk scarf, and on and on. With a clarion singsong, “Customeeeeeeers!” you spot your hostess, who zips toward you like a loose wrecking-ball.

“Hullo,” says the middle-aged Kender woman in a dress of yellow and blue. Her topknot is streaked with gray and her eyes shine with kindness. “I’m Haverna Hayseed and welcome to my inn. I offer the best food, best beds, and best company in the Vale, and before you say it, I know you don’t really have any other good options. Not that I mind. Having no competition is great for business. I mean there's a place down in the camp but it's not really better than my common room there. So how can I-holy moly you’re like a walking kitty-lady! Your fur is gorgeous. You have to tell me all about yourself.”

She does, of course, take your orders and happily addresses your questions.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Hello!" Heart responds to the excited woman. "You seem happy to see us. I'm Heart-that is, Big Heart of the Nordmaar Forest. I've recently traveled from my home, looking to see new places, meet new people, and see what the world has to offer. And so far... It's pretty different from home! And my fur is from my mom-her name is Sapphire, and you should see how the color deepens with age. Mine is this light red, but mom's is so vibrant and majestic. I hope I can be as pretty and wise and all that as she is, one day. But, not to just bask in compliments, I love your dress! We don't have any yellow flowers or anything in our section of Nordmaar, so something the color of the sun being used as just clothes feels a little weird. But it looks gorgeous! You wear it so well!"

"Oh, and these are my friends, Royse and Aria. I know they might not look as out of place as I do, what with the fur and the tail and all that, but they're just as interesting as I am! You'd do well to make friends of them too." As they talk, Heart's stomach growls, and she grins sheepishly. "But maybe we should get food before we talk more, yeah? Do you have anything nice, meaty, and rich?"

Show
    Show

Show