New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default WFRP 2e Gimgroth Interlude

gimgroth, you jerk awake after another unsettling nightmare about a half-remembered city. it had impossible architecture, and massive drums that beat endlessly in a nonsensical fashion. this is no city of man, or any of the civilized races. as you stretch in the predawn gloom, a piece of torn paper falls out of your clenched fist. it has a single glyph on it, one that looks strange, but not evil

these dreams have been happening more and more the closer you get to bretonnia.

gimme a montage of your journey so far, and what you have encountered

the city

the glyph

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: WFRP 2e Gimgroth Interlude

Gimgroth sat up on his bedroll and stretched shaking the last remnants of sleep from his head. He turned to look over Beatrix his adoptive daughter as she lay sleeping calmly a few feet away. Gimgroth instinctively lifted a hand to stroke his beard having to adjust it to reach the sole month's stubble on his chin currently. As he sat there quietly to not disturb Beatrix his turned his thoughts to the pairs frantic departure from Miragliano. It was about two weeks ago when the dwarf arrived in the town and found the young woman safe and performing in a tavern. A matter of two days and they were off again travelling under false names, Snorri Grisslechin and Lena Ursalach, finding employment in a Bretonian trading caravan headed home to Castle Carcassone.

The first leg of the journey had been uneventful. The merchant leading the caravan had paid the proper bribes to the Tilean warlords so there was not immediate raiding. The Skaven of Foul Peak in the Irana Mountains did launch a few attacks before they realized that there was enough strength protecting the goods to leave well enough alone. Stories of Snorri's defense in those attacks became something of legend among the traders and other mercs. Gimgroth didn't know this but that was part in due to Beatrix writing some catchy new tunes and putting music to the tales of his prowess. After that things were a bit more quiet for the next few days before three nights ago Gimgroth had to break a caravan guards nose for attempting to get a little too close and personal with "Lena". The Irana Mountains were now to the South and they were a day out of Summersfall Fort.

Gimgroth wondered how far away his friends and companions of the Order of the Burning Slug were at this moment. Up to now there seemed to be no signs that his nemesis the yellow-eyed man was aware of his location. The only thing that troubled him was this strange recurring dream. He couldn't make any sense of it. He just knew that Wighard would know exactly what it all meant. He found himself missing the doctor sorcerer and the other young woman travelling with the Order. When his thoughts turned to Siobhan he shifted his gaze back to Beatrix. It would be good for the young girls to have each other he thought as he stood up and rolled up his sleeping pad.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

the caravan travels on at daybreak, and makes good time, until you come to a copse of trees where strange piping flutes emanate from. the caravan leader will sigh and say "i dont like this. the route is usually safe, but these flutes are suspicious. they could be doing any sort of dark thing in there" everyone else is of the mindset to go around, and avoid the copse, which would take about a week off your schedule

gimgroth, you have an opportunity to voice your concerns and such. can i get a fellowship test at +10 to offer your idea and see if it sticks?

can i also get a perception roll at flat

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The crowd murmurs about adding days to the trip adding years to their lives and mysterious flutes meaning the involvement of everything from a band of elves, fae or a chaos cult. After a bit the other guards and the caravan leader turn their eyes on old "Snorri". He had proven very capable in the few skirmishes already occurring. The dwarf cleared his throat and addressed the on-lookers.
    It's just a bit of music. Best guess it be some tree-hugging pointy-eared folk. We could leave well enough alone and go out of our way around adding much time to our journey or stay the course and pass right by the trees and this odd music. I believe that these musicians will leave us well enough alone if we don't enter the copse. If I had a say I would advise we maintain course following the road.
    Neither enter the copse nor divert far around it.
    Gimgroth tried to see and hear what he could as he waited to see if his words won over the crowd. Then he whispered to Beatrix. If they go for this maybe sing us a song as we pass by.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

FelVS35 - (1d100)[40]
    PerceptionVs58 - (1d100)[22]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

the caravan leader nods, saying "alright snorri, lead on" the caravan skirts the copse, and beatrix begins to start up a jaunty marching tune, and the flutes in the trees seem to copy the tune, blending effortlessly with her singing voice.

gimgroth, as you look around, keeping an eye out, youd spot a tall man with blue skin and a claw mark down the left side of his face peek out, and then pop his head back into the brush. you have no idea what this is, but he doesnt seem harmful. he did recognize you and beatrix tho

wdyd?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth halts his footsteps as he takes in the sight of this weird blue-skinned man. He whispers to Beatrix Stay with the caravan I'll be right back. Let the leader know I am investigating the source of the pipes.
    Someone spotted our caravan and I need to find out if he means harm or not.
    After telling the woman this the dwarf kissed her hand and squeezed it before running towards the tree line. As he got nearer he hailed the blue-skinned man. Well met stranger, perhaps we can share news of the road? the dwarf had his shield out but had not drawn any weapon as he approached.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

the blue man will approach, hands spread wide in a gesture of peace, he stops short of dwarven charge distance and will say "the shadows deepen as the skies grow dark, the end of days is near, and the object they seek draws closer. only sacrifice and bloodshed can bring about a new dawn" he will toss a small parcel to gimgroth, snap a salute, and lope off into the deeper woodlands. the trees seem to shiver and the forest seems to let out a low grumble as the package falls to the loamy earth with a thump sound

"be well gimgroth grimdurson" the trees whisper in harmony, and then fall silent

wdyd?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    the blueskinned man is uncatchable by gm fiat
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-08-11 at 11:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Puzzled by the man's appearance and disappearance as well as his words of warning. Gimgroth repeats the phrase several times out loud to make sure he gets it all right. Definitely something to share with Wighard if he ever met up with the Company again. Gimgroth stooped down to retrieve the parcel that was left behind. The dwarf searched his memories for any stories of blue humanoids.

Show

Int - (1d100)[62] for any in-character guesses at who this blue man might be. PS it's Grimdurson not Gunderson so not sure if that was a typo or a mystery.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth: no memories of blue-skinned humanoids come to your mind. as you make your way back out of the copse of trees, youd spot the caravan waiting for you in the distance. the caravan leader shades her eyes, and then rides over on her horse "and here i thought you were dead" she says, dismounting and clasping your hand. "youve been in there a couple hours, and we really should get going" you hear the sound of deep drums beginning from the copse of trees. its a deep, atonal beat that makes your head throb with each repetition

can i get a wp test or take a level of fatigue? this is wp cause its not a physical but mental effect

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth shakes his head hearing that he's been gone for hours. But it was only a few minutes I was in there.
    Then the drums started up. Gimgroth looked over his shoulder suspiciously. Aye we should move in haste again. I don't like the sound of those drums. The drums cause something inside Gimgroth's brain to ache. Let's go now! the dwarf starts hurrying away from the trees. I may need a ride in one of the wagons. he yells while running.
    Show

WPvs49 - (1d100)[75] does Resistance to Magic apply here if so Gimgroth has a +10.
    Doesn't matter with that roll. So he's Fatigued now.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

a burly man scoops you up and hefts you into the back of a wagon, and scrambles into the wagon. looking back, youd spot a sulphur yellow horror lumber out of the woods, drop to all fours, and scramble after the caravan with blurring speed. the burly man scrambles to the drivers seat and lashes the horses hard, forcing them into a gallop as the wagon bounces across the dirt road. "ave maria" the driver mumbles under his breath, eyes wide and scanning for danger

the horror will pounce on top of the wagon, and hang on for dear life as the wagon bounces and jostles at breakneck speeds

wdyd?

the horror

caravan driver

horror speed test
    (1d100)[2]

caravan driver drive test

(1d100)[14]
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-08-14 at 01:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Unsure if the caravan driver called out to his mother or his wife Maria in a fluid motion of a practiced warrior Gimgroth has his hammer out and attempts to bring it down on whatever passed for hands for this yellow horror.
    Show

Suppose you'll need all of these rolls sometime soon. Been a while so had to look up somethings.
    Initiative - (1d10+3)[9]
    Free Action (Quick Draw) - Ready Hammer
    Full Action- Swift Attacks
    WSvs67 - (1d100)[4] believe Fatigue was -10 correct. Damage - (1d10+6)[9] hit small damage but good enough to take away a dodge or parry.
    WSvs67 - (1d100)[49] Damage - (1d10+6)[13] good hit
    WSvs67 - (1d100)[45] Damage - (1d10+6)[12] good hit
    WSvs67 - (1d100)[75] Damage - (1d10+6)[12] miss

To confirm any Dwarven Furies WSvs67 - (1d100)[96] FuryDamage - (3d10)[5][1][2](8) No Furies.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

the horror will tank the first blow, and the good hits are nary more than scratches on its hard hide. the horror lets out a ululation, and its long tongue moves to grab the package, neatly snagging it and leaping off the cart to land on the ground and scuttles off back toward the forest

the caravan driver will pull the horses to a stop and wipe his brow "what in great sigmars teats was that!" he hisses, looking at you

gimme your response, and then we can cut ahead

meanwhile, in the distance:

two teenage girls stand as the horror rushes up to them, dropping the package at their feet and backing away reverently. the taller one, clad in travelling leathers and with a sword at her hip will open the package, and pass it to the shorter. "interesting" she says, and whistles. a raven pops into existence, and she attaches a message to the ravens leg "take this to bordelaux, and be swift" she says. the raven wings off towards the sea, and leaves

the sisters confer, and then set off in pursuit of the caravan on horseback

gimgroth ooc
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-08-18 at 06:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth stares at the caravan driver. Gods if I know. I'm just a caravan guard not a wizard or witch hunter who'd know such things. Never seen the like of this before. Let's get some distance from this place and whomever those young lasses be. If they can tame the chaos horror I doubt we want to have tea with them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

the next few days pass smoothly, with no events worth mentioning. on the dawn of the fourth day, a meteorite burns hard over the sky, disappearing over the horizon and impacting into the ground with a massive whump noise. the caravan gathers around the morning fire, and chatter excitedly. "what do you think is in the meteor?" a tall scarred woman says almost excitedly. "we could be rich if were lucky"

gimgroth, you of course know better, but do you interject? it might not be wise to spoil the caravan's joy so soon after the horror incident. what if anything do you say, and what is your personal opinion on said meteorite?

scarred woman

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth sits by the fire and listens to the excited clamor of the camp regarding the space rock that impacted not too far away. He remains silent until Beatrix sits down a smile stretching across her warm face.
    Clara and I are going to go inspect the site. She thinks there could be valuable materials while I hope to mine some new material for my stories and songs. How many storytellers actually get to see such a think up close.

Gimgroth shakes his head no Beatrix meteorites carry wyrdstone it is known. Sure they are valuable to the wrong sort of people but just as likely to make you a mutant as a famous bard. I forbid it!

Show
    Gimgroth will stand up and act like he is going to sleep but will keep a close eye on Beatrix to make sure the girl either stays at camp or follow her from a distance if she leaves. If she leaves Gimgroth will follow with some livestock from the caravan a goat, sheep or a dog if neither are available.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

you follow beatrix and clara with rudolfo, a small herding dog who just decided to follow you out to the crash site. youd spot the two girls chattering around the crash site, and clara breaks out a piece of charcoal and paper to sketch the site. suddenly, youd spot a haggard dwarf come into view, and as he gets into shouting distance he barks "run! a grudgebound golem has gotten loose, and is heading this way!"

no sooner do the words come out of his mouth then there is the thump of a cannon, and the dwarf disintegrates into bloody chunks. there is the sound of tremors as a massive golem plated in rusted steel stalks over the horizon, a fresh stone ball being loaded into the shoulder mounted cannon. there is a sense of menace in its eyes, and it swivels to look at the girls, who are closer. it moves inexorably forward, steel runed axes coming from shoulder slings

it is clear that this thing has slipped the chain, and is not keen on going back to wherever it is intended to. it is also clear that you are out of your depth against a massive grudgebound golem

wdyd?

gimme a common knowledge (dwarves) test at +30 to see if you know anything about grudgebound golems

haggard dwarf

the grudgebound golem

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth's face dropped in horror as the Grudgebound Golem reloaded its weaponry. He knew that there was precious moments to act before the contraption would release its deadly barrage again. There was scant time to reason out what this mechanical monstrosity was doing so far from the Mountainhome it was designed to protect or how it was able to ignore its protocol constraints about harming Dawi. Even without that malfunction the Golem presented an existential threat to Beatrix and Clara.
    Gimgroth raced forward from his point of protective stalking of the girls. Run! Flee back to the caravan. Dodge and weave I'll attempt to distract or disarm it. Gimgroth shouted as he raced toward the golem eyes furtively searching for anything that might explain the glitching nature of the golem. If only there was a way to restore it to its normal function it would peacefully leave and seek to return home to its place of origin.
    Show

Perception - (1d100)[66] Vs 58 so the first one is a failure and I FP'd into a critical failure.
    PerFPifNeeded - (1d100)[100] So couple ways to play this one I like is that Gimgroth misinterprets what he sees. Maybe he sees a quick fix to the situation but it only makes it worse. Or he misses that there is something there. I'll leave it up to you. Not really sure what you had in mind when introducing this golem.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

you close with the golem, and it seems slow at first, but then you realize youve been duped. the golem is like a dancer of death, highly mobile and a veritable butcher ballerina of weaponry. the heavy runed axes will come down like a titans blow. surprisingly, the first one misses, but the second one hits, albeit with a fraction of the force the first one had

parries are -20 cause of its sheer steel bulk

(2d100)[78][67](145)

(1d10+6)[14]
    (1d10+6)[8]

parry and dodge

parry
    (1d100)[92]

dodge
    (1d100)[8]
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-01 at 01:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Knowing that the chances of parrying this creation's blows would be nigh impossible due to the immeasurable force behind them Gimgroth quickly decides evasion is his best chance of survival. He only need hold this being off long enough for the girls to escape. Beatrix knew their destination and knew of the Company of the Burning Slug. If Gimgroth perished here there was a chance that his companions would take the girl under their wing.
    Gimgroth nimbly dodged the golem's first barrage of attacks. Gimgroth's first blow was targeted toward the Golem head but the blow missed by bare fingerbreadths. The golem dodge his next strike which was a reverse blow aimed at the golem's shoulder. The third attack connected with the golem's left arm ringing loudly as hammer met runic carved steel. Gimgroth arm shuddered as his fourth attack went wide.

Show

Well here goes nothing
    DodgeVs57 - (1d100)[3] Success Dodge
    Full action = Swift Attacks times 4 with the BQ runed Hammer.
    Attack1Vs77 - (1d100)[81] Damage - (1d10+6)[16] Miss
    Attack2Vs77 - (1d100)[53] Damage - (1d10+6)[9] Dodged
    Attack3Vs77 - (1d100)[34] Damage - (1d10+6)[12] Hit for 12 damage
    Attack4Vs77 - (1d100)[84] Damage - (1d10+6)[14] Miss

Wondering if there's a chance that you could do something fun with Gimgroth's Smith skill here or his Drive skill maybe these golems have a manual control panel somewhere?
    SmithVs48 - (1d100)[73] Fail
    DriveVs51 - (1d100)[45] Success FWIW.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth, as you take in the grudgebound golem, you notice a pair of handles at the base of its neck, pointing upwards. if you can somehow climb the beast, and pull the levers down, its highly likely the grudgebound golem will go into shutdown mode. the golem will let out a basso roar, and its gemstone eyes sparkle with a quizzical kind of understanding. then it switches back to combat mode, and will make two attacks

[rollv]2dd100[/rollv]

(1d10+6)[11]
    (1d10+6)[8]

parry and dodge

(1d100)[63]
    (1d100)[86]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

There the were the control levers of the golem. From Gimgroth's point of view they looked in tact if he could somehow manage to climb the thing and pull the levers the creation would go in a shutdown mode and wait for rebooting. Now how to manage the feat of climbing the heaving steel while avoiding its deadly strikes.
    Show

First off responses to its attacks
    Dodge - (1d100)[27] Successful dodge to the first attack.
    Parry - (1d100)[90] I believe the 8 damaged is soaked. Gimgroth has 9 or 11 points of AP+TB depending on where it hit.

Not sure if you have a means of resolving this lever pulling attempt. I propose comparing WS checks but really rolling for damage. This is Gimgroth pressing the Golem into a strategic position to climb it and pull the levers. I think a goal of a number of successful attack rolls not being parried or dodged before Gimgroth gets pummeled to death by the thing would be a fun mechanism to resolve it. I'll have you pick the number.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

two heavy blows rattle off the grudgebound golem, and it lets out a screech of pure rage, its heavy metal body kicking into overdrive.

the axes come down hard, hoping to turn you into dwarven souffle. the first one misses, but the second comes slamming down like the ancestors themselves, hoping to turn you into a nice little red puddle

(2d100)[98][68](166)

(1d10+7)[8]
    (1d10+7)[16]
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-05 at 03:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth gained a slight strategic advantage as the creature was battered with his hammer but then the golem struck out with its own attacks catching Gimgroth in the right leg slicing through his mail leggings and leaving a deep gash through his thigh. With his thigh bleeding Gimgroth's movement was impeding and his own posturing to get behind the Golem met with limited success.

Show

DodgeVs59 - (1d100)[61] fail Wounds Remaining 12/19.
    Four more attack rolls for strategic positioning.
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[1] success
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[98] fail and possible fumble. Going to use FP to reroll in OOC
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[48] success
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[91] Fail
    Let me know how many Gimgroth needs to score in order to progress.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

alright, so you hammer the goliaths head and cause it to drop to its knees, a dent in its plated skull. climbing atop the scarred war machine, you pull the levers, and the Goliath goes into shutdown mode, dropping to all fours and remaining there. a jet of foul-smelling oil sprays from the goliaths neck, drenching you in some oily black slime.

were done with le combat, and you have some time to check over mr grudgebound Goliath

take 300 xp, and do as you will with it

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

With the contraption disabled Gimgroth sets to investigating what could have caused the thing to malfunction in the first place. After a careful inspection Gimgroth finds a shard of warpstone that must have splintered from the meteorite that crashed nearby. If the warpstone was removed perhaps the metallic golem could be returned to service. The grudgebound golems were a lost art to the dwarves and it would be a shame if this one was lost for all time. Gimgroth decided it was worth the risk of exposure to try to pry the warpstone out of the steel frame of the golem.
    Show

Perception - (1d100)[26] 3 Degrees of Success so going to roll with this a bit.
    What checks are needed if any to remove the warpstone? To restart the golem under proper programming? To resist the chaos of the warpstone or gain any mutation points? Perhaps it's this exposure to chaos that prevents the wound from healing. Whatever the cause it will sure cause consternation to Wighard that he can't heal it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    you could just tear the warpstone out, but that could cause further complications. alternatively, you could take some time and try to jimmy the sliver of warpstone out. thatd cause less damage, but take longer

as for proper programming, you have no fugging clue how to reprogram it

toughness at +10 because you know what warpstone is

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: occ
    Show
    Ah I see I wouldn't really want to reprogram it. Although having a Grudgebound Golem as a sidekick would be pretty cool. My thought was just powering the unit back up with the warpstone removed and it should follow its original programming of protecting some mountain home of the dwarves probably miles away.
    ToughnessVs71 - (1d100)[66] success assuming this is for resistance to the warpstone but could be to pry out the stone wasn't sure.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

alright, so after pulling the warpstone out of the grudgebound golem, and setting the control rods back to active, the golem stands, bows, and will trundle off back the way it came.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth heaves a heavy sigh of relief as the golem treks off to it's original home. Some dwarven colony somewhere will be quite surprised when this wayward thing of legend returns home. The dwarf smiles before looking down at the heavy slash on his thigh and the flesh reveal beneath. Gimgroth quickly applies a bandage to the wound and sets off after the young girls. A few minutes later he catches up to a sulking Beatrix and Clara.
    You followed me Uncle.
    Aye and good thing I did as well. Rocks from the skies are not to be trifled with. This meteorite brought with it warpstone that damaged and corrupted that Golem you saw dust that poor dwarf.
    That could have easily be you or you Clara.

Gimgroth shook his head at the folly of youth as the three continued their way back to the caravan camp.
    Within their tent Beatrix winced as she noticed for the first time the bloody bandage tied around Gimgroth's thigh.