New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Spoiler: This time
    Show
    As soon as I saw the immunity to poisons and such and the transitive property they gave jinx for her strength and durability and best attack, I knew how it would end. Also the "takes hits from a guy who shakes mountains" is not a good comparison. Its like saying lex luthor can survive infinite damage because superman hit him once and didnt turn him into paste. We dont know how hard of a hit he delivered in that clip of her not dying when shoulder checked by his shield or whatever.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Show
    As soon as I saw the immunity to poisons and such and the transitive property they gave jinx for her strength and durability and best attack, I knew how it would end. Also the "takes hits from a guy who shakes mountains" is not a good comparison. Its like saying lex luthor can survive infinite damage because superman hit him once and didnt turn him into paste. We dont know how hard of a hit he delivered in that clip of her not dying when shoulder checked by his shield or whatever.
    Show
    Yeah, the poison resistance/immunity was pretty much a dead giveaway. That being said, they didn't play up the durability on Jinx too terribly much, so it didn't bug me as much as it might have otherwise.

Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Yeah, this one's not a bad matchup, barring extreme goofiness that's not generally known on the part of one or the other. The one wildcard I'm seeing is Scarlet Witch's mutant power (or whatever she is now, it'll change once Marvel gets its panties untwisted about Fox formerly having the Mutant Movie rights), which to the best of my understanding isn't technically magic, so might catch Zatanna off guard if the laws of probability are suddenly not behaving the way they should, and she can't sense any magic on it.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #63

Spoiler: Not a spoiler but just in case
    Show
    Wanda isnt a mutant again, but rather a "mutate posing as a mutant." It's got something to do with the High Evolutionary's technology interacting with the magical radiation of Wundergore which gave the twins powers and mutant-like physiology.

...Though, ranted, the High Evolutionary is known to lie about what his tech is capable of or the origins of other people's stuff in order to support his agenda. He once claimed that rather than cloning people, Miles Warren was kidnapping people and using genetic manipulation, brainwashing, and surgery to turn people into duplicates of Gwen and Peter in order to discredit cloning as a science.

They haven't gone back and fixed it, but the current status quo is that while they aren't technically mutants they're close enough in every way that counts.

Magneto is also on the record as stating that he doesn't care whether Wanda and Pietro are his flesh and blood children, he thinks of them as his... And realizes that he's been a ****ty father to them and wants to make amends.

Notably, Billy and Tommy were welcome on Krakoa even when their mom was considered persona non-gratta. Though only Tommy took it up. Billy was busy ruling outer spcace alongside his husband.

Recently, Wanda has finally earned the forgiveness of the X-Men by creating a mutant afterlife. Which basically removes any and all concerns and limitations of Krakoa's ressurection protocols.

...There's even a door on th isand where the living can just waltz iinto the mutant afterlife to visit wih dead mutants awaiting revival. They call it the Waiting Room.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Show
    Yeah, the poison resistance/immunity was pretty much a dead giveaway. That being said, they didn't play up the durability on Jinx too terribly much, so it didn't bug me as much as it might have otherwise.

Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Yeah, this one's not a bad matchup, barring extreme goofiness that's not generally known on the part of one or the other. The one wildcard I'm seeing is Scarlet Witch's mutant power (or whatever she is now, it'll change once Marvel gets its panties untwisted about Fox formerly having the Mutant Movie rights), which to the best of my understanding isn't technically magic, so might catch Zatanna off guard if the laws of probability are suddenly not behaving the way they should, and she can't sense any magic on it.
    Honestly at this point I think we can dispense with spoilers. Either you watched the video and came back here or you werent going to in the first place. Anyways, they kinda did lean into the durability angle by basically saying harley couldnt do anything to jinx. Her poisons and other concoctions were useless, and jinx can take shots from mountain shakers so hammer time didnt help much.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Zatanna vs. Scarlet Witch happened. So that's a thing now.

Spoiler: This Time...
    Show
    With both characters basically have a power of "YES!" it really did come down to Zatanna not having a history of cracking under pressure while Wanda... yeah. Honestly, in a battle between reality warpers, whoever blinks loses, and Wanda blinked. Can't really fault this one.

Spoiler: Next Time...
    Show
    I kind of wish I knew these two better, but hey, Jojo vs. Demon Slayer is going to make some people happy, I think.

Is Jonathan the one who introduced Stands to Jojo or was that someone else?

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post

Show
    With both characters basically have a power of "YES!" it really did come down to Zatanna not having a history of cracking under pressure while Wanda... yeah. Honestly, in a battle between reality warpers, whoever blinks loses, and Wanda blinked. Can't really fault this one.

Show
    I kind of wish I knew these two better, but hey, Jojo vs. Demon Slayer is going to make some people happy, I think.

Spoiler: this time
    Show
    I agree. i wanted to quibble but you have the main point, one side is fairly well known for cracking, the other is not. When both sides have the power of "yes." its those details that come to mind to settle it. As someone in a book i read once said, "Does it matter if our gods are stronger than their gods? Both sides could reduce us to vapor with a thought, does the color of the vapor matter?" You cant really argue strength when both sides have the power to break everything.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea makes sense, although I could also see it going the other way purely on the argument that Wanda being more unstable and erratic could be an advantage in such a fight. This one works for me though

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yea I'm all about this one. Jonathan isn't a stand user. He was the first in the line and used super special breathing powers to punch vampires. A great matchup overall, I actually have a personal fan theory about how Demon Slayer matches up scarily well to just fit into JoJo but in Japan. I don't think it is a great matchup for Johnathan though. Demon Slayer super special breathing powers tend to come with a great deal of physical enhancement and Hamon tends to just blow things up with a funny inconsistency when used on other people. You see it blow up literally cliffsides or blast through steel but never another person. I think Johnathan's grandson Joseph would take a win easy but Johnathan might just get stat checked by Breathing Style's enhancement. I don't remember anything Tanjiro has giving him super speed flash step BS like the lightning style though so there is probably still a chance.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2022-04-11 at 01:19 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Next time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing with Jonathan is, he's bonkers strong even if he doesn't have a Stand, can't directly hurt people with Hamon, and doesn't have Joseph's ludicrous luck and improvisational skills. He can break chains that could hold Tarkus, who was shattering cliffs with raw strength, and is fast enough to dodge Space Ripper Stinging Eyes at close range. I have heard that Araki has claimed he's as physically strong as Star Platinum, although I haven't seen a source for this. His durability isn't as good, since the Stinging Eyes mortally wounded him when they did hit, but not being instantly killed after being hit by an attack that Death Battle has already calculated at 10.6 Megatons isn't bad.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea makes sense, although I could also see it going the other way purely on the argument that Wanda being more unstable and erratic could be an advantage in such a fight. This one works for me though

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yea I'm all about this one. Jonathan isn't a stand user. He was the first in the line and used super special breathing powers to punch vampires. A great matchup overall, I actually have a personal fan theory about how Demon Slayer matches up scarily well to just fit into JoJo but in Japan. I don't think it is a great matchup for Johnathan though. Demon Slayer super special breathing powers tend to come with a great deal of physical enhancement and Hamon tends to just blow things up with a funny inconsistency when used on other people. You see it blow up literally cliffsides or blast through steel but never another person. I think Johnathan's grandson Joseph would take a win easy but Johnathan might just get stat checked by Breathing Style's enhancement. I don't remember anything Tanjiro has giving him super speed flash step BS like the lightning style though so there is probably still a chance.
    Hamon not hurting people is a specific feature, not an inconsistency. It can blast objects, and absolutely rips undead creatures apart, but the Hamon wave passes through organic matter harmlessly. This is demonstrated by Zepelli the instant the mechanic is introduced, with the frog.

You can use Hamon to hurt people indirectly (eg. by making a spaghetti noodle razor sharp and strong as steel), but Jonathan never does this, and likely doesn't even know how. Joseph has an intuitive understanding of Hamon and its properties Joseph lacks.

That said, knowing DB, they'll give Jonathan the Hamon Feats of all known Hamon users because it's something he "could theoretically do", so who knows?

What Jonathan has going for him is that he's literally a ripoff of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, so in terms of raw physical prowess he dwarfs any future JoJo.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-04-11 at 07:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Show

Show
    Agreed. Maybe someone super familiar with DC and Marvel lore could argue differently, but from what I do know, Scarlet Witch is so unstable she's taken herself out of the fight more then once.

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    I'm looking forward to this one, though I'll admit most of what I know about Jonathan is the 'one you are about to say next is' meme.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Show
    Spoiler: Demon Slayer manga spoilers
    Show
    Doesn't Tanjiro sort of have precognition later in the manga? I'm not sciency enough to compare their absurd strength and speed feats but that could tip things in Tanjiro's favor either way.

Speaking of later in the manga, does Tanjiro's peak include his demon form, which is invincible to anything but a specially made vampire cure and the power of friendship?

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    I'm looking forward to this one, though I'll admit most of what I know about Jonathan is the 'one you are about to say next is' meme.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's Joseph. Jonathan is the bland Fist of the North Star knock-off.
    Last edited by hungrycrow; 2022-04-11 at 07:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Show
    Spoiler: Demon Slayer manga spoilers
    Show
    Doesn't Tanjiro sort of have precognition later in the manga? I'm not sciency enough to compare their absurd strength and speed feats but that could tip things in Tanjiro's favor either way.

Speaking of later in the manga, does Tanjiro's peak include his demon form, which is invincible to anything but a specially made vampire cure and the power of friendship?

Spoiler
    Show
    That's Joseph. Jonathan is the bland Fist of the North Star knock-off.
    Spoiler: demon slayer spoilers
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the special swords they use to stab demons are special explicitly special metals that have absorbed sunlight. Hamon is sunlight punching because vampire and demon slayer demons are spookily similar. Demon Tanjiro might actually be a weakness in this fight.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #73

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: demon slayer spoilers
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the special swords they use to stab demons are special explicitly special metals that have absorbed sunlight. Hamon is sunlight punching because vampire and demon slayer demons are spookily similar. Demon Tanjiro might actually be a weakness in this fight.
    Spoiler: manga
    Show
    Demon Tanjiro overcame the sunlight weakness though.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: manga
    Show
    Demon Tanjiro overcame the sunlight weakness though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immune is a strong word, even a demon like Nezuko who was immune to the suns light on its own would still die when beheaded with one of the special swords. By that logic, Hamon would probably also be able to effect them. Although it might be less effective, one thing Jonathan was never short on was overwhelming might.

15. - Top - End - #75

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Immune is a strong word, even a demon like Nezuko who was immune to the suns light on its own would still die when beheaded with one of the special swords. By that logic, Hamon would probably also be able to effect them. Although it might be less effective, one thing Jonathan was never short on was overwhelming might.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess we can't know for sure since no one lands a hit on him, but Giyu specifically claims that neither sunlight nor nichirin blades would work.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess we can't know for sure since no one lands a hit on him, but Giyu specifically claims that neither sunlight nor nichirin blades would work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He said that out of nowhere and no one actually cut him before the cure came out so that statement is suspect to say the least.

17. - Top - End - #77

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    He said that out of nowhere and no one actually cut him before the cure came out so that statement is suspect to say the least.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He said that after seeing Tanjiro adapt to sunlight. As you pointed out the nichirin blades only hurt demons by using sunlight, so the idea that the blades no longer work is a pretty logical leap. Nothing contradicts him and there's nothing to suggest he doesn't know what he's talking about, so I don't see why that statement should be suspect.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: This time:
    Show
    One thing that struck me slightly oddly is that I hadn't known about Zatanna's... kind of meta-textual feats. To my knowledge, she's usually portrayed as kind of Magic's Middleweight Champ. She's got a decent amount of power, sure, but she's not in the seriously big leagues like the Spectre, Eclipso, the Lords of Order/Chaos and so forth. It's her flexibility and cleverness that lets her punch well out of her weight class, not just overwhelming her foes with torrents of raw power.

Dunno. As portrayed, the throwdown made sense. But Zatanna felt... sort of out-of-character, throwing universes at someone.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He said that after seeing Tanjiro adapt to sunlight. As you pointed out the nichirin blades only hurt demons by using sunlight, so the idea that the blades no longer work is a pretty logical leap. Nothing contradicts him and there's nothing to suggest he doesn't know what he's talking about, so I don't see why that statement should be suspect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They were very explicit that Nezuko could still be killed despite her not being hurt by direct sunlight. I'm not sure how the two entirely contradictory statements about how that works could not be considered suspect.

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    They were very explicit that Nezuko could still be killed despite her not being hurt by direct sunlight. I'm not sure how the two entirely contradictory statements about how that works could not be considered suspect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where do they state that? I don't remember anyone considering attacking her after she adapts to the sun.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Where do they state that? I don't remember anyone considering attacking her after she adapts to the sun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because by that point they had resolved to cure her and not kill her, they had done that whole song and dance before. She was still mortal in sense of being killable.

22. - Top - End - #82

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Because by that point they had resolved to cure her and not kill her, they had done that whole song and dance before. She was still mortal in sense of being killable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What I mean is, which scene are they "very explicit" about her still being vulnerable to their swords? There's a lot of manga left at that point, I can't really read through the whole thing to find one conversation.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What I mean is, which scene are they "very explicit" about her still being vulnerable to their swords? There's a lot of manga left at that point, I can't really read through the whole thing to find one conversation.
    I'm drowning in a One Piece reread and literally used up the 100 chapters of backlog I have for today so I'm not sure exactly where it would be. But Nezuku wasn't totally immortal, she just could be in the sun.

24. - Top - End - #84

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm drowning in a One Piece reread and literally used up the 100 chapters of backlog I have for today so I'm not sure exactly where it would be. But Nezuku wasn't totally immortal, she just could be in the sun.
    Fair enough.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

im calling jonathan wins solely based on dio v. alucard. whoever's doing the math is really into jojo because there's no way dio could have won that (speaking as a jojo fan). and there's absolutely no way hes 11x the speed of light or whatever it was. what im willing to bet is using a long list of feats from different charechters they somehow pull the fact that jonathan can destroy mountains or something. the fights still gonna be fun to watch though

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that Jonathan will probably win, but the writing and research for the episode are being done by a different person than Dio vs. Alucard and most of the extreme feats they gave Dio were specifically for The World.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Dio is not 11x the speed of light. The World probably isn't either, but a stronger argument could be made for sure.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an extreme stretch, but it is actually possible to get Light Speed Jonathan. Before drinking Joseph's blood, Dio couldn't use his vampire powers; so any physical feats he displays are things Jonathan could do without using Hamon. In that state he has no trouble blitzing Joseph, who dodged a beam of light from the Red Stone of Aja during his fight with Kars. Any speed Joseph lost from age is more than outweighed by the speed Jonathan's body would be losing from not being to use Hamon; therefore Jonathan has Light Speed reaction times. Of course, this is built on highly questionable logic and a great deal of assumptions; but as researcher's blog said to use Parts 1-3 as resources for determining how strong Jonathan is we may very well see him being scaled to Joseph and Part 3 Dio.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    It's an extreme stretch, but it is actually possible to get Light Speed Jonathan. Before drinking Joseph's blood, Dio couldn't use his vampire powers; so any physical feats he displays are things Jonathan could do without using Hamon. In that state he has no trouble blitzing Joseph, who dodged a beam of light from the Red Stone of Aja during his fight with Kars. Any speed Joseph lost from age is more than outweighed by the speed Jonathan's body would be losing from not being to use Hamon; therefore Jonathan has Light Speed reaction times. Of course, this is built on highly questionable logic and a great deal of assumptions; but as researcher's blog said to use Parts 1-3 as resources for determining how strong Jonathan is we may very well see him being scaled to Joseph and Part 3 Dio.
    That's not even a stretch, it's just wrong. Dio did have his vampire powers before drinking Joseph's blood, and he demonstrates this by regenerating himself several times. His regeneration just wasn't as fast as if he had more Joestar blood. But we couldn't say that his feats are Jonathan's feats, even with tenuous Death Battle logic.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also "Jonathan's body was rejecting Dio, so he clearly wasn't as strong as he was in Part 1. Despite that, he was still able to outspeed Joseph without using The World. Jonathan beat him in Part 1, so he is naturally also faster than Joseph-who has lightspeed reaction times." They both come down to deciding that Young Joseph can react to beams of light, and wasn't just using his subconscious precognition or insane luck to act before the light started to move, and then trying to find a way to scale Jonathan to that.
    Spoiler
    Show