New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Moon Knight - New Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler: final episode
    Show
    Once again, Marvel flubs the ending of a show, imo. There was some cool stuff, visually, for sure, but the story writing is just horrendous. Obviously, they intend for season 2, so I guess I can forgive failing to introduce the third personality until the mid credits - but it is still upsetting that they cut away and hand-waived the final fight with Harrow. At least let us see him wordlessly go ape**** on the bad guys for a minute before Marc gets control back.

The gods had to be written as absolutely, implausibly clueless in order for the plot of this show to work, especially this episode. I mean, even if they refused to believe Khonshu at first, and were dumb enough not to even keep an eye on Harrow after that (which apparently they were), it doesn't make any sense that they would be so surprised when Ammit was released. They almost literally said: "Whaaaaat? Someone is trying to release Ammit?! Who in the world would want to do that?!" It would have made sense if they said "Oh no! Khonshu was telling the truth! Harrow really did it, and we didn't listen! We made a mistake and we need to fix it now! Quick, trap her in stone again!"

How did Harrow and Ammit have the power to overcome all the other gods, with a wave of his staff? Was it established that she was more powerful than all the other gods put together? Why did none of the other gods help giant Khonshu in the fight, even if they didn't have their avatars? It would have made more sense if they were only delayed, and once they had new avatars and managed to get them to the pyramid, they would conduct the stone-trapping ritual and capture Ammit again, since Harrow and Ammit were occupied fighting Moonknight and Khonshu, respectively.

It really needed to be established earlier in the show, that a god is vulnerable if/when they are trapped in a human body. Even if they had established it, that makes absolutely no sense. We know human souls exist and can go to an afterlife when they die. we know gods control and live in afterlife realms. If a god was riding inside a human body, and it died, surely they would just be free to go on being a god, and look for another avatar...but regardless, you can't establish the solution to a problem literally in the same scene that the solution needs to be used. Up until they decided to trap her in Harrow's body, trapping gods in stone was the way to stop them. "What are the rules? What are the ruuuuu-huuuules?"

Good on the Taweret avatar costume, though. Cool stuff.
    I think the point was that Harrow
    Spoiler
    Show
    didn't kill or beat the gods, he beat their avatars, because those avatars are not fighters. Now you can ask why the gods didn't step in to fight Ahmet but that's a separate thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler: final episode
    Show
    Once again, Marvel flubs the ending of a show, imo. There was some cool stuff, visually, for sure, but the story writing is just horrendous. Obviously, they intend for season 2, so I guess I can forgive failing to introduce the third personality until the mid credits - but it is still upsetting that they cut away and hand-waived the final fight with Harrow. At least let us see him wordlessly go ape**** on the bad guys for a minute before Marc gets control back.
    Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was interested in the show overall. As with Wandavision, the unusual premise helps to build interest.

I would like to have actually seen the final battle, though. That's...annoying. You're setup the inevitable conflict here for the entire show, along with the third personality, at least give us a decent payoff.

Spoiler
    Show
    It really needed to be established earlier in the show, that a god is vulnerable if/when they are trapped in a human body. Even if they had established it, that makes absolutely no sense. We know human souls exist and can go to an afterlife when they die. we know gods control and live in afterlife realms. If a god was riding inside a human body, and it died, surely they would just be free to go on being a god, and look for another avatar...but regardless, you can't establish the solution to a problem literally in the same scene that the solution needs to be used. Up until they decided to trap her in Harrow's body, trapping gods in stone was the way to stop them. "What are the rules? What are the ruuuuu-huuuules?"

Good on the Taweret avatar costume, though. Cool stuff.
    Yeah, that was definitely a "I guess this is happening now" moment. Which this show has leaned on pretty hard the whole time. I generally give shows a pass for the very start, because you assume it'll all click into place at some point, but it seems that here they didn't quite get all the pieces fitting together great.

Overall, good, not great.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2022-05-05 at 09:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Too busy setting up next season's conflict to give proper catharsis for the conflict of this season.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Count me on the loved-the-finale (and the series) train, hands down. The characterization, production, acting, and dramatic tension were fantastic. The writing is also clever, making things clear but without pandering to the audience, from the big setups and payoffs down to

Spoiler
    Show
    how to Khonshu promises Steven that he will "release both of you".

These last two episodes in particular were some of the best MCU television. I for one look forward to more "dark MCU" material, and I hope to get some more Moon Knight style self-contained TV series that both introduce a character and deal with it in a clever way.
    I think we'll have our chance with Blade for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I think the point was that Harrow
    Spoiler
    Show
    didn't kill or beat the gods, he beat their avatars, because those avatars are not fighters. Now you can ask why the gods didn't step in to fight Ahmet but that's a separate thing.
    Beating their avatars in the specific way he did appears to have sealed off the rest of them (save Taweret, whose unique nature as a psychopomp, on top of
    Spoiler
    Show
    picking a new avatar right before the massacre
    allowed her to stay active.) It's plausible enough that I dont feel they needed to stop the action to navel-gaze about it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I completely forgot about this on Wednesday morning, and then had to force myself to watch it in bits over the next couple days.

So, that…happened.

Spoiler: Drinking Souls, Again?
    Show
    Really? The evil otherdimensional being is drinking in human souls and growing more powerful by the second? Didn’t we see that in frickin’ Shang-Chi already?

Also, crocodile with dreads just doesn’t work.

Spoiler: Let It Go, Let It Go....
    Show
    Was anyone else waiting for a little snowman to pop up and say something about true love and a frozen heart?

Because Mark saving Stephen outside the gates was almost beat-for-beat Elsa saving Anna.

Spoiler: They Fly Now? They Fly Now!
    Show
    And suddenly, right here at the end, they both can fly.

That’s…awesome; would’ve been helpful at pretty much any other moment in the series.

Spoiler: That Fabulous Costume
    Show
    I do have to admit, Layla’s costume is great. So practical, and stylish too!

This is now the umpteenth Marvel series that showed promise, but utterly failed to stick the landing.

I’ll watch She-Hulk because Tatiana Maslany is phenomenal, but at this point I have zero expectations of any other Disney+ series. If there is a Season Two of this one, I won't be rushing to see it.

Last edited by Palanan; 2022-05-06 at 11:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    It's on Disney+, at least here in the US, but there do seem to be differences in content availability by country.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Stupid americans.. keeping the good stuff for themselves
    On that note, Disney+ just made season 7 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. available in France.

Freaking finally!

As for the finale of Moon Knight, yeah, it could have been much better. Still, I wouldn't mind a season 2.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I think AOS has been on Disney+ for a month or two here in the US. I'm not stampeding to watch it, but if anyone ever does a watch-through of all seven seasons (the way russdm has been doing for various Trek series) that might be worth following along.

So, next up is the Obi-Wan series. After the Book of Bobalorian, I'm finding it hard to dredge up any enthusiasm. We know what the centerpiece fight will be, we know not much will be resolved in the broader picture, so eh.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

So, next up is the Obi-Wan series. After the Book of Bobalorian, I'm finding it hard to dredge up any enthusiasm. We know what the centerpiece fight will be, we know not much will be resolved in the broader picture, so eh.
    Same. This is not the series I am looking for.

(Ewan McGregor waves his hand)

This is the series I am looking for.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

just finished the final episode, some thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show

I found it frustrating that they didn't reveal the 3rd personality in the episode itself too. I'm so bad with faces that i didn't really notice Jake was the same body as Mark and Stephen, had to look that up.

Also wondering why Taweret (hippo God (In the context of the MCU)) didn't join in the giant God (In the context of the MCU) kaiju battle at the end there. Once she had her own Avatar in the field, i figured she'd pop in too in some form, even if it was mostly just for support.

Why does the hippo God (In the context of the MCU) grant bird-powers? I'm assuming just Egypt stuff. still odd though.

Howcome Ahmet didn't hive Harrow a fancy suit? the other Gods (In the context of the MCU) did it!

Think that's about it tbh.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Why does the hippo God (In the context of the MCU) grant bird-powers? I'm assuming just Egypt stuff. still odd though.

I don't think that these egyptian avatars work like that. Moon Knight doesn't get "bird powers" from Khonshu, I wouldn't expect Taweret to grant "hippo powers" to her avatar.

In any case, I assumed that the theme of Taweret's avatar costume was more the scarab (related to death, and thus to Taweret's domain) than a bird.

Spoiler: image
    Show
    Last edited by Clertar; 2022-05-07 at 02:47 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of costumes, it was amusing to see Khonshu adopt Steven's "psycho colonel Sanders" attire.

Plus, while in Steven's case the suit accentuates his gentle manners, it instead makes Khonshu look like even more of a douche.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Ammit
    Show
    I thought Ammit looked pretty awesome, especially with those massive dreads. She looked like something right out of D&D.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Ammit looked pretty awesome, especially with those massive dreads. She looked like something right out of D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, tastes varying on this one. Not a fan of the dreads myself. Not sure what effect they were going for, but I would’ve found the design more menacing without them.

As for being right out of D&D, in this context that’s not really a positive for me. Way too jarring against the backdrop of the MCU as we know it.

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...She looked like something right out of D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the final god-on-god fight, was anyone reminded of this classic D&D cover art?

Visually there's very little similarity, but there's an echo of the underlying concept, with mortal champions fighting below while their respective patrons fight above.

Spoiler: Did Anyone Catch the Homage?
    Show
    Did anyone notice the brief homage to a certain well-known comic artist? It’s in the post-credits scene, at 38:38.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-05-08 at 10:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

I’ll watch She-Hulk because Tatiana Maslany is phenomenal, but at this point I have zero expectations of any other Disney+ series. If there is a Season Two of this one, I won't be rushing to see it.
    As long as you stay subscribed (or return periodically) I'm good personally, I want more of these

Spoiler
    Show

Also wondering why Taweret (hippo God (In the context of the MCU)) didn't join in the giant God (In the context of the MCU) kaiju battle at the end there. Once she had her own Avatar in the field, i figured she'd pop in too in some form, even if it was mostly just for support.

Howcome Ahmet didn't hive Harrow a fancy suit? the other Gods (In the context of the MCU) did it!

Think that's about it tbh.
    She probably had her hands full with
    Spoiler
    Show
    all the souls raining down into her domain.

As for Harrow, he got a fancy stick
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Not as far as I can tell. Tawaret in Egyptian mythology is a fertility goddess/divine guardian and protector but isn't associated with any sort of bird motifs (female hippos are very aggressive and very dangerous, hippos kill more people than any other animal in Africa, hence the identification of the hippo goddess with being fighty).

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not as far as I can tell. Tawaret in Egyptian mythology is a fertility goddess/divine guardian and protector but isn't associated with any sort of bird motifs (female hippos are very aggressive and very dangerous, hippos kill more people than any other animal in Africa, hence the identification of the hippo goddess with being fighty).
    As noted above, it's not strictly a "bird motif" - it's a scarab, which in Egyptian iconography are often given feathery wings despite being insects, because feathery wings are associated with the afterlife.

As for the connection between Taweret and scarabs - again, she's a psychopomp. It's more to do with her role than her hippo-like appearance.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Finally watched it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I still can't believe they killed that guy!

6/10