New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC III

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Macharius is stunned to silence by Ahriman's words. When he can finally speak, his tone is reverential. You... you met the God-Emperor in person? My Lord, meeting you is a blessing beyond our hopes. We shall do all we can to assist you. What... what was it like, if i may ask?
    "Perhaps both more and less than you expect. The Emperor did not wish to be seen as a god, though it is not surprising he came to be viewed that way by some. He was..." Ahriman's tone takes on a cast of deferential respect, though not strictly reverence. "When you were in the room with him, you knew it. He has a presence all his own. Did you know Leman Russ tried to fight him? Russ respects strength alone, and his reaction on being found was to start a brawl. The Emperor wiped the floor with him, of course. There is nobody alive who could match him in battle."

Angron the Devourer, Fulgrim the Debased, Mortarion the Vile, Magnus the Witch-King, Perturabo the Tyrant, Lorgar the Blasphemous, and Alpharius the Deceiver. [/COLOR] Macharius intones the names with a deep, pious censure.They followed Horus the Betrayer, the Arch-Heretic, the most beloved son of the God-Emperor who sought to sell Mankind as slaves of the powers of darkness for his own advancement. The vilest of traitors, who killed the Archangel Sanguinus and wounded the Emperor himself. Who plunged Humanity from its golden age into our current predicaments. Macharius spits out Horus' deeds, hatred clear in his voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    She'll listen to Macharius while nodding in agreement. 'Not forgetting Curze the Damned.' Anika does not register Ahriman's evasiveness. 'I was a teacher at one point. You would have to find somewhere with a bigger library to find better answers. Most of the legions are just names in history now and the idea that we even know that much is frowned upon by some.' Anika had learnt an anacronym to know the whole list at one point. 'Supposedly the Heresy war begun at a place called Istavaan. Four legions had risen there in rebellion, and four more chose to join them in the subsequent attempt to bring the Traitors to heel. The Thousand Sons were not present at the outset but are numbered among the Traitors for some crime they were reputed to have committed. I can't speak to the details or the timing there, but it hard not to make assumptions post Nikaea.'
    "Half. I cannot say Angron and Curze are the biggest shocks on that list..." Ahriman looked over at Macharius. "But some.. Horus is the Emperor's favourite. The triumph is being held in his honour! Why did Horus turn? How could he kille Sanguinius? Sanguinius is among the best of the Primarchs, loved by all the others. Or Lorgar? Lorgar loves the Emperor, as Father and... ah, this shall take some time to process."

Again, he was silent for a time. "I fear," he said at last, "That you may not like what I am about to say. I swear to you though, that if you help me, I will do everything in my power to put things right. If you do not believe me when I swear on my father, or even in the name of the Emperor himself, then I will swear it in the name of my beloved brother. Ohrmuzd was a better man than I, he would want you to hear the truth, and in honesty you deserve it if we are to work together. Magnus is my father. I do not know what crime he was accused of, but it rests on Nikaea. It must, from what you and... the sorcerer in blue. He was of the Thousand Sons? I will spare my Legion this fate, if I can."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This was perhaps a bad time for Kennoch to fall stunned, but he tried to collect himself and refocus on weaving the Sting between waves of ethereal energies. When he reported the news to Sargon, his soft voice cracked and wavered.

"Two Thousand Sons two two Sons," he croaked. "Both both. They both are they... The other psyker Astartes psyker, who fought who the stronger one the stronger. He claims he is he claims from the ancient past ancient. From the time time of the Emperor Himself Emperor Emperor Emperor. He says his name his name is Ahzek Ahriman Ahriman. Son of Magnus Magnus the Red Red the Red, before his Fall before."

Echo paused, then added over the command channel, "Is it too late too late to revisit to Lady Vanhal's idea idea of spacing him spacing and firing the macrocannons firing? He is very likely very lying or insane insane."
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "Magnus is my father. I do not know what crime he was accused of, but it rests on Nikaea. It must, from what you and... the sorcerer in blue. He was of the Thousand Sons? I will spare my Legion this fate, if I can."
    "You're going to rewrite the past? That's a bold endeavour, big man. You got a plan for how to do that?" Hannabel asks brightly.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika pales a little at Hannabel's words and will give her a brief nod instead of replying. The transhuman shock aside the Astartes didn't carry himself like a monster from the dawn of the Imperium. On the other hand, as Galimina had recently pointed out, if he was a threat to them what exactly could they do about it?

She'll watch Ahriman's face closely as he speaks before sighing. 'Well Magnus was a scholar wasn't he. I feel like it could have been worse.' After Hannabel speaks, 'I don't know where to begin with such a plan, although you certainly don't lack for ambition.'

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Echo

"He's WHAT."

For once, Sargon didn't seem to have anything to say. He floated in his tank, mouth hanging open.

Finally he managed to get himself together. "Ahriman. Ahzek Ahriman. Thousand Sons Chief Librarian and First Captain Ahzek frakking Ahriman has dropped by. For tea, presumably."

He started laughing.

Guiding the ship with slightly insane, high-pitched tittering in his ear would have been challenging, but fortunately for Echo, the journey was coming to an end. Echo guided the ship out of warp on the edges of the secluded system, navigating around a few treacherous shoals of energy to do so. The warp here was unusually calm, but this was one of the stations of passage. It was to be expected.

All

They felt, rather than saw, the ship drop from warp. The deck shuddered beneath them, and the timbre of the engines changed. Ahriman halted his stride, looking around as though he could see through the hull plates. Perhaps he could. He still wore his helmet, so Anika couldn't get much of a look at his face, but he sounded sincere enough.

"We are all scholars," he said absently. "Battles can be fought and won with knowledge and wisdom as surely as by blade and boltgun. Before I can truly make a plan, I will require more information. First I must find what called me here. I doubt I will be able to follow it back, which means I will need another method. But... do.. do you hear a buzzing?"

He looked about, searching, adjusted something on his helmet. The hallway was quiet beyond the background hum of the ship. Echo's information, and what Anika had heard of the Witch-Cursed World, did suggest that psykers would be able to hear things here that most could not.

"Apologies," Ahriman said after a long moment. "I am beginning to understand how I came to be here. It is a combination of factors. Something uniquely attuned to me, and a location from which I would be able to hear it."

He pushed open a door, revealing one of the ship's storerooms. This one was filled with things they had taken from Winterscale's storage locker, back on Scintilla. Boxes of jewelry and a few items of furniture which had not yet found a home elsewhere. Ahriman turned a slow circle, hand outstretched, before selecting one of the boxes and digging through it. He removed a gold scarab Anika vaguely recalled seeing back at the locker, its carapace crafted from carnelian stone. It was old, and plain, but Ahriman held it reverently.

"Wherever did you find this?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika glanced towards the others wishing Echo was here. For a psyker to be hearing things might normally be a problem, but who could say with an Astartes.

'We're...in the Maw. It's a safe route between two substantial warp storms. I heard that one of them might be noisy if you have the senses to hear it. Unless it's the world we're due to stop off at on the way.'

She'll look with curiosity at the scarab. 'Now what is that? A very rich man sold us some of his cast offs. Did Rogue Traders even exist in your time?'

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius is slightly taken aback. That... did not make it into the Ecclesiarchal canon, hoho! Although you are not the first we have met from those days to have doubts about the Emperor's divinity. An Inquisitor even said it was common at that time. Perhaps He wished for Mankind to reach its full potential, rather than always relying on His divine intervention? Sadly, in these days, we are bereft of His physical presence, though His light is always present.

Horus was not content with what the Emperor gave him, not content to be Warmaster and the favorite son. After the Triumph, he began to plot to supplant the Emperor and rule the galaxy. He was willing to go to any length, consort with any creature or daemon, to get more power. As for Lorgar, it is said that he turned from worshipping the Emperor to worshipping the False Gods of Chaos. He went on pilgrimage to Cadia, and when he returned, he had given himself over in his heart to their lies.

Sanguinius... every child in the Imperium knows the story of the death of Sanguinius, the Archangel, noblest of the Emperor's sons. In brief, the Arch-Traitor Horus and his legions assailed Holy Terra, the birthplace of Man and the seat of the Imperium. In their hatred of the Emperor and mankind, they wreaked atrocities upon the people, leaving scars that will never heal. But the Emperor and noble Sanguinius boarded Horus' flagship, hoping to stop the war. It is said that Sanguinius knew then that he would perish, that his death was inevitable, and yet that he went anyway to sacrifice himself for Mankind that he so loved. In the bowels of the traitor's ship he confronted dread Horus. Then the Traitor tempted him. He offered Sanguinius life, power, anything he asked for, if he would renounce the Emperor and Mankind and serve the Dark Powers. But Sanguinius was the greatest of the Emperor's sons, and his heart was pure. He rejected the Arch-traitor, knowing it meant his death. And though the Angel perished, brought low by Horus' vile sorcery, his sacrifice weakened the Enemy enough that the Emperor could find him and cast him down. He is an example to us all, the finest example of what Man can aspire to.

Macharius stays silent for a long moment after Ahriman's revelation. He speaks slowly, puzzling it out for himself. A Thousand Son? One of the accursed Sons of Magnus, the arch-daemonologists and fell sorcerers who consume whole worlds of men and women in the fires of damnation. But... the traitor sorcerer hated you, wanted to destroy you. Your livery looks nothing like that of the Thousand Sons today. And, by the Emperor, I do not hear deceit in your words. It is said that the traitor legions were loyal once. And Horus destroyed much of the traitor legions' forces early on into the war, which suggests that not all of them turned even then. Perhaps, in our time, you have become a traitor, or perhaps you remained pure and perished not so long after your time. In either case, I... do not believe you, as you stand here before me, have betrayed the Emperor. Perhaps we can assist you in making things right. Perhaps, if we we assist you, things will go very differently. The galaxy would be a better place with fewer foes and more loyal followers of the Emperor. He sounds more resolute. We will render what aid we can, Lord Ahriman. Perhaps by learning what went wrong you can prevent it from happening to begin with.

----------------
    Macharius looks at the scarab. It was in the possession of another Rogue Trader. We obtained a hodgepodge of items at an auction, some quite valuable, some less so. This one we thought less of. What is it?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Macharius is slightly taken aback. That... did not make it into the Ecclesiarchal canon, hoho! Although you are not the first we have met from those days to have doubts about the Emperor's divinity. An Inquisitor even said it was common at that time. Perhaps He wished for Mankind to reach its full potential, rather than always relying on His divine intervention? Sadly, in these days, we are bereft of His physical presence, though His light is always present.

Horus was not content with what the Emperor gave him, not content to be Warmaster and the favorite son. After the Triumph, he began to plot to supplant the Emperor and rule the galaxy. He was willing to go to any length, consort with any creature or daemon, to get more power. As for Lorgar, it is said that he turned from worshipping the Emperor to worshipping the False Gods of Chaos. He went on pilgrimage to Cadia, and when he returned, he had given himself over in his heart to their lies.

Sanguinius... every child in the Imperium knows the story of the death of Sanguinius, the Archangel, noblest of the Emperor's sons. In brief, the Arch-Traitor Horus and his legions assailed Holy Terra, the birthplace of Man and the seat of the Imperium. In their hatred of the Emperor and mankind, they wreaked atrocities upon the people, leaving scars that will never heal. But the Emperor and noble Sanguinius boarded Horus' flagship, hoping to stop the war. It is said that Sanguinius knew then that he would perish, that his death was inevitable, and yet that he went anyway to sacrifice himself for Mankind that he so loved. In the bowels of the traitor's ship he confronted dread Horus. Then the Traitor tempted him. He offered Sanguinius life, power, anything he asked for, if he would renounce the Emperor and Mankind and serve the Dark Powers. But Sanguinius was the greatest of the Emperor's sons, and his heart was pure. He rejected the Arch-traitor, knowing it meant his death. And though the Angel perished, brought low by Horus' vile sorcery, his sacrifice weakened the Enemy enough that the Emperor could find him and cast him down. He is an example to us all, the finest example of what Man can aspire to.

Macharius stays silent for a long moment after Ahriman's revelation. He speaks slowly, puzzling it out for himself. A Thousand Son? One of the accursed Sons of Magnus, the arch-daemonologists and fell sorcerers who consume whole worlds of men and women in the fires of damnation. But... the traitor sorcerer hated you, wanted to destroy you. Your livery looks nothing like that of the Thousand Sons today. And, by the Emperor, I do not hear deceit in your words. It is said that the traitor legions were loyal once. And Horus destroyed much of the traitor legions' forces early on into the war, which suggests that not all of them turned even then. Perhaps, in our time, you have become a traitor, or perhaps you remained pure and perished not so long after your time. In either case, I... do not believe you, as you stand here before me, have betrayed the Emperor. Perhaps we can assist you in making things right. Perhaps, if we we assist you, things will go very differently. The galaxy would be a better place with fewer foes and more loyal followers of the Emperor. He sounds more resolute. We will render what aid we can, Lord Ahriman. Perhaps by learning what went wrong you can prevent it from happening to begin with.
    "The realisation of mankind's potential has always been the Emperor's goal. The Imperial Truth represents an age of rationality, science and progress. It is a cause in which I myself strongly believe," Ahriman said. He sounded pensive, and a little sad.

"It is disheartening to think that it may all be for naught, thanks to Lorgar. He has already been on pilgrimage and returned. If..." he broke off.

"It is still difficult to believe. When I saw that fallen Legionairre, I assumed it was an anomaly. We have fought things corrupted by the powers of the warp before, it is not inconcievable to think it could take one of my brothers, here and there. Entire Legions, though, that is a lot to take in. Horus himself, even after the honour of Warmaster is bestowed upon him... To kill Sanguinius..." Ahriman shook his head.

"There is yet time. If Horus' fall comes after the triumph, he may not be corrupted. It could be that Lorgar was first, and is still the only one. I shall speak to my father. Magnus will be able to reach Horus where I cannot, if I can convince him of the truth of your words. I will require evidence to take with me, if possible. A dataslate, recordings, that sort of thing. At very least, I will be able to write down what you can tell me. The more I am able to accurately desribe events to come, the more stock Magnus will put in what I have to say."

She'll look with curiosity at the scarab. 'Now what is that? A very rich man sold us some of his cast offs. Did Rogue Traders even exist in your time?'
    Macharius looks at the scarab. It was in the possession of another Rogue Trader. We obtained a hodgepodge of items at an auction, some quite valuable, some less so. This one we thought less of. What is it?
    "Rogue Traders Militant, yes. They serve as scouts for the expeditionary fleets, ranging ahead of our crusade in search of worlds to bring into the Imperium. I gather things work a little differently for you?" Ahriman turned the scarab over in his hands.

"It is Prosperine artwork. When my father was found on Prospero, each member of his legion was gifted one of these. This is - was? time travel plays havoc with tense - mine. Though mine is also currently in my quarters aboard the fleet." He depressed a hidden latch on the bottom, and the scarab's carapace snapped open on concealed hinges. Inside was a small carving, several pyramids arranged about a central spire. "Traditionally, it is supposed to guard against psychneuein, but it holds no actual power beyond fond memories."

He pressed the carving into Macharius' hands. "Keep it. I still have my own version. If we succeed, it will be a reminder that hope is never lost."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sadly no anomaly, Lord Ahriman. That is the Thousand Sons as they are now known. Hopefully, that can be changed.

There... is more, unfortunately.
    Macharius speaks delicately and sorrowfully. Though the Emperor slew Horus and cast the Traitors back into the Warp, it did not come without a cost. Horus grievously wounded the Emperor. He took the Golden Throne after the battle and has not physically moved from it since. Though, of course, He guides us all with His light and His truth, the Emperor no longer leads humanity's armies in his physical form.

Still, in your time, it may not be too late. Lorgar is already damned, and his Legion beyond redemption. He is the first known to have fallen to corruption, so it may not be too late for your Legion and the others. I admit, it is nigh-impossible to think of Horus as anything other than a monster and a traitor to Humanity. But you knew him before his Fall; perhaps he can be brought back to the light. But I implore you, do not just warn Horus and Magnus. You must make sure the warning gets to the Emperor, and to Lord Guilliman. Else, if Horus has already turned in his heart, all it will do is give him the advantage of foresight. If the Emperor is warned, He can purge Lorgar and his traitors before this heresy takes root in the other Legions.

How much time do you have? We will get you everything possible. Williams! Go to my collection and bring everything I have on the Horus Heresy. Doctor Vanhal, I presume you have some works as well? The more the Emperor's servants know of what is to come, the better they will be prepared.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I suppose in some ways we have changed much, and in others not at all. The Rogue Trader houses are great noble families, empowered by Warrants of Trade to leave the Imperium to trade with those outside, to colonize new worlds for Humanity, and to identify and scourge the heretic and the xenos. It tends to be quite a profitable endeavor for the Trader, as well as providing invaluable information to the Imperium and spreading its influence.

He takes the pendant reverently. Thank you, my Lord Ahriman. It will remind us all that, though it may seem impossible, there are always more that can be done in service of the Emperor and Mankind. He looks up at the Astartes. Will we know if we succeed? Or will the world always have been this way, with the Thousand Sons loyal to the Emperor? Strange, to think that our greatest service may not even be remembered by ourselves. And yet strangely fulfilling; we can work the Emperor's will even when we know it not.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Earlier

'Honestly thinking about this gives me a headache.'To Ahriman, 'You're welcome to read what I have on hand but so much has been lost from your time. As you said yourself, that some of the Legions chose to turn traitor is not exactly surprising. Even some of the Chapters today have a reputation for going to extremes in waging war. For all that making the Heresy war even a little devastating is a worthy goal, I would be remiss in not pointing out that there may be a limit to what anyone can achieve.'

Scarab

Anika looks impressed at Ahriman's description.'That would almost make that the most valuable item we gained from Winterscale. If he'd known, I wonder if he would have charged us more for it.'

11. - Top - End - #431
    Firbolg in the Playground

++If he had known what it was and worth i doubt it would have been in that locker++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #432

Lizardfolk

Echo

"He's WHAT."

For once, Sargon didn't seem to have anything to say. He floated in his tank, mouth hanging open.

Finally he managed to get himself together. "Ahriman. Ahzek Ahriman. Thousand Sons Chief Librarian and First Captain Ahzek frakking Ahriman has dropped by. For tea, presumably."

He started laughing.

Guiding the ship with slightly insane, high-pitched tittering in his ear would have been challenging, but fortunately for Echo, the journey was coming to an end. Echo guided the ship out of warp on the edges of the secluded system, navigating around a few treacherous shoals of energy to do so. The warp here was unusually calm, but this was one of the stations of passage. It was to be expected.
    "That, ahhh that...does seem concerning does..." Kennoch murmured uncertainly, taken aback by Sargon's manic reaction. He couldn't relax even after translating back to realspace; after a moment to collect himself, he closed his Warp-eye and summoned his human servants to the navigation chamber.

"Assign a squad assign to each of each my access port wards wards," he told his Rings. "Let no one no one tamper with them tamper; they are vital vital to our security security in this dangerous place dangerous. And prepare my entourage prepare to disembark soon soon soon."

To Sargon, he promised, "I will investigate I will this matter of matter the Astartes the and show you show my pict recordings my when I return when. Assuming that the assuming Witch-Cursed World Witch does not devour devour me first first."

Kennoch then turned his attention toward that very matter. While his assistants helped him into his voidsuit, he listened for the sound he'd been told to expect, hoping to draw some clue or insight from it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psyniscience (84): (1d100)[26]

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Still, in your time, it may not be too late. Lorgar is already damned, and his Legion beyond redemption. He is the first known to have fallen to corruption, so it may not be too late for your Legion and the others. I admit, it is nigh-impossible to think of Horus as anything other than a monster and a traitor to Humanity. But you knew him before his Fall; perhaps he can be brought back to the light. But I implore you, do not just warn Horus and Magnus. You must make sure the warning gets to the Emperor, and to Lord Guilliman. Else, if Horus has already turned in his heart, all it will do is give him the advantage of foresight. If the Emperor is warned, He can purge Lorgar and his traitors before this heresy takes root in the other Legions.

How much time do you have? We will get you everything possible. Williams! Go to my collection and bring everything I have on the Horus Heresy. Doctor Vanhal, I presume you have some works as well? The more the Emperor's servants know of what is to come, the better they will be prepared.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I suppose in some ways we have changed much, and in others not at all. The Rogue Trader houses are great noble families, empowered by Warrants of Trade to leave the Imperium to trade with those outside, to colonize new worlds for Humanity, and to identify and scourge the heretic and the xenos. It tends to be quite a profitable endeavor for the Trader, as well as providing invaluable information to the Imperium and spreading its influence.

He takes the pendant reverently. Thank you, my Lord Ahriman. It will remind us all that, though it may seem impossible, there are always more that can be done in service of the Emperor and Mankind. He looks up at the Astartes. Will we know if we succeed? Or will the world always have been this way, with the Thousand Sons loyal to the Emperor? Strange, to think that our greatest service may not even be remembered by ourselves. And yet strangely fulfilling; we can work the Emperor's will even when we know it not.
    'Honestly thinking about this gives me a headache.'To Ahriman, 'You're welcome to read what I have on hand but so much has been lost from your time. As you said yourself, that some of the Legions chose to turn traitor is not exactly surprising. Even some of the Chapters today have a reputation for going to extremes in waging war. For all that making the Heresy war even a little devastating is a worthy goal, I would be remiss in not pointing out that there may be a limit to what anyone can achieve.'
    'I hold no illusions about my chances. I am but one Legionnaire, after all. Still, I have some ideas that may help, and I will make my start with those most likely to believe me. Many of the Legions will be at Ullanor, but I may not have the chance to speak to any of the Primarchs save my own, let alone the Emperor himself. Malcador, perhaps, but even he is something of a long shot. I pledge to do my best, but I think tempered expectations are in order."

"As to your memory, and questions of time..." He lowered his head slightly. "I do not know. To my knowledge, nobody has ever done what we are about to attempt. The powers of the warp can be controlled, but are mercurial in nature even at the best of times. The pessimist in me warns that we may already have tried, and the state of the galaxy that exists now is the result of that failure. That said, I also believe it is our obligation to try anyways. Time, as it were, will tell."

Macharius was fairly certain, even behind the expressionless helmet, that Ahriman was smiling.

Spoiler: Echo Only
    Show
    Sargon had managed to bring himself under control by the time Echo was ready to leave. The buzzing Echo had been expecting to hear had started when they had left warp, a constant drone on the edge of his awareness. There was something very strange about this place. Things felt more in-focus here, more real. The materium asserted itself against the warp, a bubble of reality holding the warp storms at bay on the fringes of the system. Judging by his expression, Sargon could feel it too.

The old Navis was an opportunist at heart though, as Echo had learned, and couldn't resist the chance to give a word of advice before Echo departed.

"Castermire. If Ahriman is what he says he is, that makes him the closest thing to a friendly sorcerer you're ever going to encounter. Keep on your guard, but do not pass up the opportunity to ask questions."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Listening in on the conversation, Hannabel suddenly interrupts. "Say, has anyone considered what else might happen if the Heresy doesn't happen as we know it? Countless lives saved, perhaps. Him on Earth still walking among us. Good stuff, aye? But what if it also means House Absalom never acquired a Warrant? Or the Vanhals all became mining serfs or something? Or...maybe the Sting never gets built?" she trails off.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Listening in on the conversation, Hannabel suddenly interrupts. "Say, has anyone considered what else might happen if the Heresy doesn't happen as we know it? Countless lives saved, perhaps. Him on Earth still walking among us. Good stuff, aye? But what if it also means House Absalom never acquired a Warrant? Or the Vanhals all became mining serfs or something? Or...maybe the Sting never gets built?" she trails off.
    Anika will facepalm for a few seconds before she recovers. 'That this is the first time I am aware of something like this happening doesn't mean it hasn't happened before or might not happen again. If what you say is true Hannabel there's no reason to believe that such things aren't happening all the time. I think I'm going to have to choose to ignore the possibility.'

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

"I am reasonably certain that sort of thing will not happen," Ahriman said. "Though it could, the fact we are having this conversation implies that it will have not. More likely that we spin off additional copies of the universe, create a stable time loop, or alter the context of the circumstances under which these events are going to have taken place."
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2023-04-18 at 08:23 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #437

++wibbly wobbly timey wimey++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am reasonably certain that sort of thing will not happen," Ahriman said. "Though it could, the fact we are having this conversation implies that it will have not. More likely that we spin off additional copies of the universe, create a stable time loop, or alter the context of the circumstances under which these events are going to have taken place."
    Anika still looks unhappy. 'I feel like that raises further questions. Such as could this work in reverse?' She'll only sideeye Ravia's comment.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

"You mean, could someone go back and undo our prospective changes?" Ahriman asked. "Theoretically, yes. I again think it unlikely, though. They would need an equally auspicious turn of events as has occurred for us."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

"You mean, could someone go back and undo our prospective changes?" Ahriman asked. "Theoretically, yes. I again think it unlikely, though. They would need an equally auspicious turn of events as has occurred for us."
    'Perhaps. Or just for any reason at all. Wouldn't you take the opportunity to visit the Age of Strife if you could?' The idea had cheered Anika up a little.

21. - Top - End - #441

Lizardfolk

Show
    Sargon had managed to bring himself under control by the time Echo was ready to leave. The buzzing Echo had been expecting to hear had started when they had left warp, a constant drone on the edge of his awareness. There was something very strange about this place. Things felt more in-focus here, more real. The materium asserted itself against the warp, a bubble of reality holding the warp storms at bay on the fringes of the system. Judging by his expression, Sargon could feel it too.

The old Navis was an opportunist at heart though, as Echo had learned, and couldn't resist the chance to give a word of advice before Echo departed.

"Castermire. If Ahriman is what he says he is, that makes him the closest thing to a friendly sorcerer you're ever going to encounter. Keep on your guard, but do not pass up the opportunity to ask questions."
    Spoiler: Destro
    Show
    Kennoch took a moment to reply; he listened to the sound, head tilted, and wondering at the sensation he felt. Slowly, he nodded.

"It is a it is rare opportunity rare," he agreed. He remained troubled by Ahriman's appearance here, let alone his outlandish claims, but there was certainly information that Echo wanted, regarding the Warp and its denizens. This Space Marine couldn't be worse than the destiny that hounded him.

"Shame that he shame won't know about Alessaunder Alessaunder Alessaunder Alessaunder, if he is he is from the past past. Not that the other other Thousand Son Son who he fought fought would likely tell likely me anything either anything."

He gathered his personal guard, saw off the lesser Rings to their posts, and made to join the others. Time that he saw this Astartes for himself.

Not long after their return to the Materium, Kennoch and his bodyguards descended through the ship. The Navigator slowed when he neared whatever room or corridor held their new guest; he took a long moment to thoroughly capture his image with the Memorance Implant. Every detail of his ancient armor would be studied later. Then, furthermore, Echo barely cracked his third eye for a different sort of observation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna use Gaze into the Abyss on this gentleman. My first attempt of a Navigator Power so far in this game, I think! Obviously Ahriman is a psyker, but I wonder if this ability shows any distinction between that and high Corruption points? I figure it's worth a shot, if you're willing to tell me anything.

Gaze into the Abyss (54): (1d100)[49]

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahriman

Anika will cautiously see if she could find their guest some quarters if he wanted them. Otherwise the cargo bay that he had arrived in would have to do for now.

'Obviously you realise that you will attract attention wherever you go even in the Expanse, but your heraldry might prove a problem. I would like to believe that very few could identify one of your legion on sight but I wouldn't bet on it.'

Psykers

Knowing the Witch Cursed World's reputation Anika will make sure there is an Astropath on the bridge to offer their opinion for whenever they got closer. Ahriman's opinion was something she'd keep in reserve in case something dramatic happened.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Under Echo's sight, Ahriman glowed brightly. This wasn't surprising, given he was obviously an incredibly powerful psyker. Echo was looking for subtler signs of corruption, though, and he didn't see any - while not definitive in and of itself, this at least lent credence to the Astartes' story. A chaos sorcerer would likely have radiated corruption like a beacon. Ahriman did not.

"I will not be with you for long," Ahriman said. "By the time you reach your destination, I will have succeeded or failed already."

He turned down any offer of fine quarters - the Sting didn't have luxurious passenger spaces, but there were at least a number of staterooms. Ahriman said he preferred something more spartan, and accepted a spare storeroom as his workspace while preparations were made to go planetside. Here, he poured himself into reading everything Macharius and Anika could get him on the history of the Horus Heresy. It was odd seeing an Astartes, even outside of his armour, sitting hunched over a book at a desk sized for a regular human. As he went through the books, he tapped notes into a dataslate.

While Ahriman read, Macharius made a handful of rousing speeches to the crew, ensuring they wouldn't feel too uneasy sitting at anchor over the Witch-Cursed world for an extended period of time. The ship's Astropath reported to Anika that they could hear a buzzing sound in the system, and that it was quite difficult to get any sort of message through the interference. They also reported that, sure enough, every seventeen minutes the relay station on the planet sent out a signal. Only for a brief moment, and even while it was transmitting, Galimina said the auspexes showed no change in power status. The planet was cold and dead. They would need to visit the surface if they wanted any answers.

When the time came at last, the party assembled in one of the shuttle bays. None of the ship's pilots were willing to make the trip, so it fell to Hannabel to fly. There were seven passenger berths aboard, including Macharius' VIP cabin. Echo, Anika, and Ravia took up three. That left room for two bodyguards - and Ahriman. The Thousand Son had arrived at the bay once again clad in his armour and carrying his bladed staff, his slate full of notes clipped to his belt next to his helmet.

During the descent, Ahriman explained his presence. "I believe that location is important," he told them. "Somehow, I was able to locate the impression of the Prosperine scarab and reach you here. Why should I not have heard it before? It has existed the whole time. My theory is that it happened because you moved it, brought it into proximity of this place."

He smiled. "Besides, I cannot abide a mystery."

The shuttle touched down on the surface of the Witch-Cursed World in a flurry of ice crystals, within sight of the relay tower. The planet was an airless ball of rock, covered in a light dusting of frost and nothing else. Ahriman clicked his helmet into place before disembarking, the human members of the expedition who were not similarly equipped restricted to void suits. There was no sky here, no atmosphere to diffuse the cold light of the uncaring stars, and above them all was blackness. The surface wasn't much better, pale glints of reflected light all that was visible outside the circle of illumination provided by the Aquila's landing lights. The tower rose, a black outline ahead of them, visible only because it blocked sight of the stars behind it. They crossed a field of frost, footsteps raising puffs of dust in the weak gravity, and arrived at the front door of Installation 2819-Rho. The access panel was dead, the indicator light dark. On the metal surface of the door, someone had scratched two words with an inscribing tool:

Don't Blink.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius smiles at Ahriman's words in the shuttle. We are glad to have you along, Lord Ahriman. Your wisdom will certainly prove a boon. As may your fighting prowess, if it comes to that.

------------------------------------

Not a particularly inviting place, is it? Macharius looks around. The two Praetorians scanned for threats, Barak with his melta and Flannery with a blessed bolter. "Don't blink?" Rather an odd message. Lord Ahriman, do you sense anything... unsual?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

"I will not be with you for long," Ahriman said. "By the time you reach your destination, I will have succeeded or failed already."
    'Ideally I'd like to be prepared.' Under the circumstances Anika will mostly leave Ahriman to his research but will take the opportunity to ask him a few questions about the Great Crusade where she could.

----------

Anika agreed with Macharius. 'I'm sure they had their reasons but I feel like they might just as well have built this thing in orbit.' Anika will take a picture of the carved words. To Echo, 'Remind me what you were told of this place again? If it's not currently manned there must have been a point where the last crew stationed here were evacuated.'

26. - Top - End - #446

++Well there is surgery that one can do to stop eye movement but a voided dustball is not the place++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Blacker than an Ambull's arse out here, but the stars...now there's thing o' beauty," Hannabel sighed as they exited the Aquila. "Can't wait to get inside though - this much open space ain't natural."

28. - Top - End - #448

Lizardfolk

For once, Kennoch agreed with Hannabel; he marveled at the peaceful void above them. He felt rather comfortable with it. Were it not for the psychic sound that continued to pester him, this place would feel relaxing. All he missed was the floating freedom from gravity's tether that he might find on a normal spacewalk.

But they were here to work, so he gradually responded to Anika. "No evacuation no," he explained softly. "Not for the tower tower the tower, or the ships ships that have gone dark gone and empty empty in the skies above above. People vanish here vanish. Something takes them something."

He looked again to the yawning heavens. "No one has no one properly salvaged and studied salvaged studied the derelict vessels vessels, but brief investigations brief tell of strange strange anomalies in the logs in the. Corrupted entries corrupted, or even impossible dates impossible from the ancient past ancient." Here, he glanced toward Ahriman. "There was one story one of a ship ship recording the access the of an external airlock external from the outside from while in orbit in."

Echo rolled these pieces in his mind and thought about what they could mean, with the additional inspiration of standing here personally. "Clearly clearly, someone was able was to build the installation build. Whatever hungers here hungers did not interfere did not at the time time. Perhaps it was patient perhaps. Or perhaps the tower the tower and its astropathic signals signals drew unwelcome guests unwelcome. Something here something makes the sound sound sound the sound that I hear I hear in my mind my. The droning droning of many insects many..."

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

At the mention of the derelicts Anika can't help but be reminded of the Processional, but so far this place seemed to be easier to take in. 'If they've not been catalogued someone should get on that. I suppose most crews aren't interested in hanging around long enough to check to see if there's anything valuable up there.' The anecdote wasn't especially worrying to her without more information. There were numerous more conventional things that might be able to do that with the right equipment.

On the second point. 'If there's something down here eating people I assume it's left some sign of it's presence. The question is whether it was already here when the tower was built or if it arrived later.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Is anything about the droning of insects familiar?
    Forbidden Lore (Xenos) vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[67]

30. - Top - End - #450

Lizardfolk

"I was being poetic I was," Kennoch explained. "About the hunger hunger the hunger. Though it may it still be accurate still. I strongly suspect strongly there is a Daemon Daemon at work here here. Or some similar some Warp phenomenon Warp Warp Warp. They certainly have certainly notorious appetites notorious."

The young Navis turned his attention to the entrance. "Would the honored Magos honored like to try like the door the? Or shall we shall go straight to straight bashing it down down?"

He made no move to try himself, instead focusing past the walls to search for hints of psychic energy within.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psyniscience (84): (1d100)[12]

~ Sophistemon