New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Slumbering Tsar IC

Roger pauses and looks over the fence, there is a strong smell of dank decay that seems to be coming form the ziggurat itself and he suspects that it may not be as sealed as he expected it to be. That seems to be what is unsettling the dogs and the bird. As for the graveyard around it it smells of cold dead stone and ash and nothing else...
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger wonders what might still be decomposing here after all these years and the possibilities are all but reassuring. He rides back to narrate his findings, then proposes we position our fighting force (but not the wagon) right outside of the fence and then Roger tries to provoke whatever is there inside the ziggurat.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Darsalla, Tiefling Magus//Swashbuckler

Darsalla nodded at Roger's 'report' as she gazed at the compound. "So ... something undead likely living in the temple? Are you going to have any pull with the walking dead if they are your ancestors? Or an issue with us putting them down?" She glanced at Izzy, since this was her decision.

OOC - not sure what to do just yet ... waiting to see what others think.

Effects: arcana (+2 to spiked chain enhancement, 10 rounds); mage armor (+4 AC, 6 hours); canny defense (+3 AC [dodge]); Darkvision 60’; ER 5 vs fire

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC 15 (22) HP 45/46 Move 30’ Init +4
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5
    Arcane pool 5/7 (swift, +2 enh)
    Darkness SLA 1/1
    Charmed Life 1/1
    Skills: Spellcraft +12, Intimidate +10, KS Planes +10, Sleight of Hand +9, Perception +9, Acrobatics +8, Craft (tattoo) +8, KS Arcana / Local +8, Use Magic Device +8, Fly +8, Perform (Dance) +6, KS Geography / History +5, Linguistics +5, Climb/Swim +4,
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    0 (4) - prestidigitation, acid splash, detect magic, arcane mark
    1 (2/4) - mage armor, chill touch, shocking grasp, silent image
    2 (3) - frigid touch, mirror image, pyrotechnics

Magic Items +1 spiked chain, +1 rapier, ring of protection +1, belt of dex +2, vest of resistance +1
    Languages Common Abyssal, Infernal, Draconic, Elven,
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Timoshko prowls around a short distance behind Roger, pausing when the tracker pauses, and glaring vaguely in the direction of the ziggurat. "I've lived in less inviting places," he growls with a smirk. Scythe held semi-relaxed in a one-handed carrying grip, the blade gleams sporadically in the muted sunlight.

Given the chance, he searches for any tracks the bone wastes might have failed to swallow up. Anything to get more clues about what lives inside the crypt.

He nods with an expression like approval at the apparently untouched state of the fort. "Probably nothing worth eating inside, but at least we don't need to worry overmuch about being attacked from the rear," he grumbles, turning his full attention to the comparatively nearby graveyard.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He's actually a fairly solid tracker: (1d20+10)[21] He'll take 20 for 30, if it's applicable, as I suspect any lingering tracking DCs will be... substantial.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Roger approaches the fence and steps across the threshold onto the cold stone slabs that seem only to have the lightest layer of ash dust upon them despite the expectation that they should be buried with inches deep white dust like everything esle. As he steps into the graves yard surrounding the mound there is a swirl of earth, a titanic shifting of the ground that leaves him staggering for a second as a vaguely humanoid form composed of stone and dust drags itsefl free of the rosk some 40ft to the left of him

As it forms an incredibly low tones voice rumbles forth "WHO DARES ENTER MY SACRED SPACE"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

"I, Roger Makarrow, explorer of places and righter of wrongs, servant of Diana, Goddess of Nature, dare to enter your space." The phrase is rather pretentious, but Roger does not feel the need to be too formal on the occasion. "If you do not mind, that is. Or we can chat outside."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Holding her chains at the ready, Darsalla glanced at Izzy. "So ... friend of yours, or a squatter?"

OOC - holding actions for now, waiting to see how this plays out.

Effects: arcana (+2 to spiked chain enhancement, 10 rounds); mage armor (+4 AC, 6 hours); canny defense (+3 AC [dodge]); Darkvision 60’; ER 5 vs fire

Show
    Darkness SLA 1/1
    Charmed Life 1/1
    Skills: Spellcraft +12, Intimidate +10, KS Planes +10, Sleight of Hand +9, Perception +9, Acrobatics +8, Craft (tattoo) +8, KS Arcana / Local +8, Use Magic Device +8, Fly +8, Perform (Dance) +6, KS Geography / History +5, Linguistics +5, Climb/Swim +4,
    Show

Magic Items +1 spiked chain, +1 rapier, ring of protection +1, belt of dex +2, vest of resistance +1

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Izzy

"I was bequeathed this estate for services rendered," Izzy replies to Darsalla. "It's not exactly ancestral family grounds."

Izzy steps forward to talk to the creature.

"I am Chevalier Isabella Moreno! I am the new custodian of this estate. What is your name? Perhaps we don't need to be enemies. It is my intention to restore these lands. I presume your sacred space is this stone garden? If you can tolerate our presence in the other buildings perhaps we can help with the upkeep here? Or leave you alone, if you'd prefer."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

The massice creature of stone and earth pauses, settling slightly as if squatting down causing pebbles and dust to flow from it. A voice rumbles. "IF YOU ARE HERE BY RIGHT AND NOT OF THE FALLEN OF ORCUS THEN BE WELCOME. IT WOULD PLEASE ME TO SEE THE GRAES RESTORED. BUT... THERE ARE INTRUDER IN THE MOUND WHO DO DESPOIL MY SACRED SPACE" It gestures with a rocky arm to the mound and the cracked stone seal on the front of it.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Darsalla blinked, somewhat nonplussed. She leaned over to Tsythus, murmuring "I gotta say, I did not see that coming." She waited to see what Izzy's response was, but presuming the woman would agree to try and oust the evil, the tiefling was prepared to enter combat once more.

OOC - Ready to press

Show
    Darkness SLA 1/1
    Charmed Life 1/1
    Show

Last edited by Starbin; 2023-06-21 at 04:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, that intruder stinks of death and decay, I can smell it from here. Can you describe the intruder in any detail? How long has he been here? Does he come out with any regularity? And generally, if you can in any way help us deal with that abomination, that would be very welcome." Roger was thinking how and when to approach cleaning this place if whatever is there. Tomorrow could be ideal, but he wasn't sure it would be safe to wait.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

The elemental turns to the ranger with the rumble of grinding slate. “THE BEAST WITHIN HAS MANY LEGS YET A FACE LIKE YOURS. IT HAS DISTRUBED THE SPIRITS AND THEY DO NOT LIE QUIET.” it adds. As you agree (I assume) the elemental beast slowly sinks into the ground with a dull rumble that makes the horses whinny as a wave rolls through the hard packed earth

Allowing the approach it’s easy to approach the cracked door in the side of ziggurat. Inset into a narrow tunnel opening some 8ft deep the stones are weathered by the dust but you can make out etched murals of the soldiers of the Light in serried ranks and a noble looking elven commander standing atop a raised dais with a spear held above their head.

The heavy double doors are cracked, the left hand partially shattered as to allow a small creature to crawl through the crack. But otherwise the doors will have to pushed open.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger sniffs at the door, then bends to the crack to peek through. If Roger sees no obvious creature and no source of the smell, he will just nod for someone to push this open.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Izzy moves up behind Roger, featuring for Timoshko to come up and shove.

"Many legs with a face... Could be a drider?" Izzy hazards a guess.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

The edifice rising before Roger as he approaches the doorway is constructed of some dense gray stone. A buttress emerges from the center of each of its four walls reinforcing its squat structure and making it look impregnable to any assault. On either side of each buttress is a large statue in bas-relief of an armored knight, hands crossed at his waist and resting on the pommel of a down-turned sword. His bare head is bowed with eyes closed as if asleep or grieving — or perhaps dead. Each statue is subtly different in its details, but each appears to depict the same individual. The gray walls and statues are stained darker by centuries of weathering.

As Roger approaches the cracked doorway he pauses to examine through the broken door he peers into the room or chamber beyond. It reveals a small featureless chamber is little more than a widening in the stone passageway. The ceiling is 10 feet high and there is no light source. A stuffiness lingers in this area that has not felt a current of fresh air in centuries. But without more light Roger cannot see much further than the 15-20ft of bare stone.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

When people nod that they are ready, Roger casts Light on a copper coin and throws it inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Roger has low-light vision, if that's relevant.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Timoshko prowls alongside Roger, muttering "How'd it get past that thing?"

Before his companion can toss the coin, he hisses a short warning and places his hand gently on the other's throwing arm. "Let me look first," he whispers, peering into the space. Shoulders back and eyes easy, the hulking brute is markedly more comfortable in the darkness below than the blinding light of the wastes above.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Timoshko has darkvision 60', and a... poor stealth modifier:
    (1d20+4)[9] stealth
    [roll]1d20+11[roll] perception- fixed OOC: 19

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the group made their way to the entrance, Darsalla murmured, "So an elf face with lots of legs? Sounds like a joy ..." Standing with the others, she too peered int the darkness, curious what lay ahead. When Timoshko moved forward loudly, she winced but let him go ahead. Better the big man draw whatever was lurking out than her. He looked like he could take a hit ...

OOC - Perception - (1d20+9)[28], 60' darkvision, too ... and let's add some detect magic ...

Show
    Darkness SLA 1/1
    Charmed Life 1/1
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Izzy waits patiently for the results of the light and or the door to be forced by someone stronger than her.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Peering through Timishko can see that the narrow tunnel advances through the cave with neat solid stone work coated with dust for ~25ft before reaching a sharp turn where he can see the outline of a door. As the party make the first moves into the 10ft wide tunnel, feet kicking up small clouds of dust there is a red lit pulse of power as a scorching circle appears at the fr end of the corrridor and four beings of metal and fire stride out.

Heat ripples the air near this squat, brass-skinned humanoid. Its head and shoulders blaze with a mane of fire. With metallic bronze skin, short squat frames and black ion hammers that glow a dull red these beings looks like dwarves made of fire. The closest looks at Timoshko coming through the doorway and bellows in a large voice. "YOU HAVE CONTRAVENED THE ANCIENT PACT. SURRENDER OR DIE, DIE OR A YEAR OF SERVITUDE"

OOC
    Player do have the intiaitve as they guys arrive in a trapped contingent summoning circle

Spoiler: Know (Planes DC 19)
    Show

They are azer. A proud and hardworking race from the Plane of Fire, azers toil in their bronze and brass fortresses, always ready for their long, simmering war against the efreet. Azers live in a society where every member knows his place. Born into a particular duty, usually the trade of his father or mother, an azer continues this task his entire life. A caste system further keeps azer society in line.

Able to channel heat through metal weapons and tools, azers almost never use nonmetallic weapons, and usually engage in close melee rather than using ranged attacks. Azers frequently take prisoners, bringing them back to their fortresses and forcing them to labor for a year and a day.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

"You're on my land now, Azers!" Izzy counters. "Return to your own plane or die here fruitlessly!" She makes her eyes at the one who'd spoken, studying him for weaknesses and reading her spear against an approach.

Spoiler
    Show
    move: studied combat
    Standard: ready attack

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Timoshko conjures an invisible shield and steps up alongside Izzy. "I don't see you being in a position to make claims. Anyone you made an agreement with here died long ago."

Spoiler: Timoshko, round 1
    Show
    Timoshko Savarin, First Fang
    M Neutral (Evil?) Human - Duskprowler Clan Bloodrager 6 // Inquisitor 2, Level 6//2, Init 4, HP 46/51 ((37/63)) , Speed 40
    AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 20, Fort 9, Ref 4, Will 10, CMB +10/+5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1
    +1 Scythe +11/+6 (2d4+6, x4)
    +1 Vicious pick +11/+6 (1d6+4, x4)
    Claws (during BR) +10/+10 (1d6+4, x2)
    +1 luck bonus to saves Calamitous Mail, Shield spell(+5 Armor, +4 shield)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
    Condition Dimdweller: +2 intimidate, perception, stealth when in darkness; 60' darkvision
    Blood of Life: fast healing 1 during bloodrage
    Blood Sanctuary: +2 to saves vs allies' spells
    Corpse Cannibal: +2 fortitude saves vs disease
    Spell Eating
    Shinigami Technique, Step Up, Blind Fighting
    Power attack: -2 to-hit, +4 damage (+6, two-handed)
    Anatomist (+1 to confirm critical hits)

Inquisitor spells: 2/3
    Bloodrager spells: 4/5
    Bloodrage (claws, demonic bulk): 11/16
    Judgement: 0/1
    Touch of Darkness: 5/5
    The Hunger: 0/2

Cast shield from the bloodrager side, for +4 AC.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tsythus takes a look at the man wreathed in flame, mutters, “seems quite a normal number of legs… mix the baryta in the sal ammoniac, and…” he hurls a bomb set for a powerful endothermic reaction, sucking the heat out of the room when the thin vial shatters.

Spoiler: Actions, round 0
    Show
    Standard: throw frost bomb (attempt the hit as many as possible with the splash)
    Ranged touch (1d20+7)[10] cold damage (3d6+7)[19] and DC 17 fort or staggered vs primary + splash 10 damage reflex DC 17 for half on splash

Spoiler: Tsythus, round 0
    Show
    Tsythus Oren
    Male TN Half-Orc Alchemist (semi-Concocter)//Barbarian, Level 6//2, Init 2, HP 33/39, Speed 40
    AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 7, Ref 9, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Falchion +1 +14 (2d4+13, 18-20/x2)
    Splash (10 Dam, DC 17 for half) Bombs (ranged touch) (10/day) +7 (3d6+7, -)
    Dagger +11 (1d4+6, 19-20/x2)
    Chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition
    Bombs: 7/10

Extracts:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level1:
    - Shield
    - Shield
    X - CLW
    X - CLW
    - Open

Level 2:
    X - Bull's Strength + Str Mutagen
    X - Alchemical Allocation
    - Bull's Strength + Str Mutagen
    - Open

Mutagenic Mixology - 0/2 remaining
    Boro Bead (1st) - 1/1 remaining
    Mutagen: Dex 1/1 remaining

Race/Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Traits:
    Accelerated Drinker: Move action to drink potions
    Carefully Hidden: +1 will, +2 vs divinations

Half-orc:
    Tenacious: 1/day reroll failed fort or will save, or con check
    Darkvision: 120 feet

Alchemist:
    Poison Resistance +4
    Swift Poison
    Swift Alchemy

Barbarian:
    Fast movement: +10 ft
    Uncanny dodge: no flat-footed, never lose dex bonus
    Rage: 3/6 rounds/day
    Knockdown: 1/rage, trip with no AoO, and deal str damage on success
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2023-07-07 at 02:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger does not hold still after the bomb is thrown. He shoots at whomever seems hurt more than the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+20)[30]
    Durable cold iron arrow: (1d20+8)[26] for (1d8+2)[8] (-2/+0 rapid shot)
    Durable cold iron arrow: (1d20+8)[10] for (1d8+2)[5] (-2/+0 rapid shot)

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

When the fire dwarves made their offer, Darsalla giggled. "My, these azer certainly know how to make a girl blush. But I think it's a little soon for offers of bondage and servitude. Hard pass for now." Seeing some of the others react more aggressively, Darsalla focused her attention on her chain, feeling the arcane energy flow through the weapon as she prepared for the azers to retaliate.

OOC - expend arcana point to increase spiked chain enhancement (swift), hold an attack

Effects: arcana (+2 to spiked chain enhancement, 10 rounds); mage armor (+4 AC, 4 hours); canny defense (+3 AC [dodge]); Darkvision 60’; ER 5 vs fire

Show
    Arcane pool 4/7 (swift, +2 enh)
    Darkness SLA 1/1
    Charmed Life 1/1
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

The party crowd the entryway, Izzy and the savage Timoshko forming the lead wall followed by Darsalla who's chain crackles with energy. Behind them Roger fires a pair of arrows, one which thuds through the thick bronze scale the other bouncing off. Seconds later the bomb lands in a crackling blast of white freezing fog that leads to screams of pain and a cloud of pale fog as their skin turns the frost to steam. The rear pair throw a pair of sort stub tipped spears at Izy and Timoshko as the lead ones advance inexorably with heavy looking hammers with glowing a dull red heat.

OOC

A3: vs Izzy short spears (1d20+7)[21] dam (1d6+2)[8]+1 fire
    A4: vs Timoshko short spears (1d20+7)[25] dam (1d6+2)[7]+1 fire
    A1: Advance and hit Izzy (1d20+8)[20] dam (1d6+6)[8]+1 fire
    A2: Advance and hit Timosh (1d20+8)[22] dam (1d6+6)[10]+1 fire

Spoiler: Hps
    Show

A1 27
    A2 10
    A3 5
    A4 10

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger is not in much hurry to act, nocking an arrow and waiting for maybe another bomb or some melee attacks before he shoots to finish survivors...

Spoiler
    Show
    Delay to act last then shoot at the most wounded guy(s).
    Durable cold iron arrow: (1d20+8)[14] for (1d8+2)[4] (-2/+0 rapid shot)
    Durable cold iron arrow: (1d20+8)[16] for (1d8+2)[8] (-2/+0 rapid shot)

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Timoshko suddenly conjures a small wall of pure stone, laughing in open mockery as the spear shatters against it. He then makes minimal effort to avoid the fiery Dwarf's blows, instead grinning broadly as the familiar pain rushes through him. "That's how you want, it eh?" he growls, swelling in size as the power of his blood overwhelms the physical limitations of flesh. "MY TURN!"

Spoiler: Timoshko, round 2
    Show
    Timoshko Savarin, First Fang
    M Neutral (Evil?) Human - Duskprowler Clan Bloodrager 6 // Inquisitor 2, Level 6//2, Init 4, HP 36/51 ((47/63)) , Speed 40
    AC 19, Touch 10, Flat-footed 19, CMD 20, Fort 9, Ref 4, Will 10, CMB +10/+5, Base Attack Bonus 6/1
    +1 Scythe +12/+7 (2d4+6, x4)
    +1 Vicious pick +11/+6 (1d6+4, x4)
    Claws (during BR) +10/+10 (1d6+4, x2)
    +1 luck bonus to saves Calamitous Mail, Shield spell(+5 Armor, +4 shield)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
    Condition Dimdweller: +2 intimidate, perception, stealth when in darkness; 60' darkvision
    Blood of Life: fast healing 1 during bloodrage
    Blood Sanctuary: +2 to saves vs allies' spells
    Corpse Cannibal: +2 fortitude saves vs disease
    Spell Eating
    Shinigami Technique, Step Up, Blind Fighting
    Power attack: -2 to-hit, +4 damage (+6, two-handed)
    Anatomist (+1 to confirm critical hits)

Inquisitor spells: 2/3
    Bloodrager spells: 3/5
    Bloodrage (claws, demonic bulk): 10/16
    Judgement: 0/1
    Touch of Darkness: 5/5
    The Hunger: 0/2

Bloodrage: full attack
    (1d20+12)[23] scythe power attack
    (1d20+13)[32] CC (32, x4)
    (2d6+16)[25] damage
    (6d6+48)[65] crit bonus

(1d20+7)[8] scythe power attack
    (1d20+8)[13] CC (27, x4)
    (2d6+16)[22] damage
    (6d6+48)[69] crit bonus

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Izzy is hit by the thrown shortspear, but manages to get off a couple of stabs against the advancing Azers before getting thumped the a hammer as well.

She steps back behind Timoshko and continues her assault against her studied target.

Spoiler
    Show

5ft step retreat
    AoO vs studied target: (1d20+12)[21] damage (2d6+7)[12]
    AoO vs other target: (1d20+9)[14] damage (2d6+4)[13]

Attack vs studied target: (1d20+12)[28] damage (2d6+7)[12]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2023-09-01 at 04:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tsythus lobs another bomb into the mix along with his deranged cackling at another layer of frost blasting into existence when the vial shatters.

Spoiler: Actions, round 1
    Show
    Standard: throw frost bomb probably at one in back (attempt the hit as many as possible with the splash, will trade one ally hit for two enemy hits)
    Ranged touch (1d20+7)[23] cold damage (3d6+7)[11] and DC 17 fort or staggered vs primary + splash 10 damage reflex DC 17 for half on splash

Spoiler: Tsythus, round 1
    Show
    Tsythus Oren
    Male TN Half-Orc Alchemist (semi-Concocter)//Barbarian, Level 6//2, Init 2, HP 33/39, Speed 40
    AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 21, Fort 7, Ref 9, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Falchion +1 +14 (2d4+13, 18-20/x2)
    Splash (10 Dam, DC 17 for half) Bombs (ranged touch) (10/day) +7 (3d6+7, -)
    Dagger +11 (1d4+6, 19-20/x2)
    Chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition

Consumables
    Rage: 3/6 rounds
    Bombs: 6/10 remaining
    Tenacious: 1/1 remaining
    Mutagenic Mixology - 0/2 remaining
    Boro Bead (1st) - 1/1 remaining
    Mutagen: Dex 1/1 remaining

Extracts:
    Spoiler
    Show