New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
    Default Re: OOTS #1256 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarith View Post
    As she said herself, Serini hasn't had a Druid in the party for some time. Besides, no characters but the villains were even considering what the Gods would do until the dangling Godsmoot plot smacked them in the face, so it's not just her.
    The Scribblers as a group completely succeeded at their initial goal. The aftermath where someone might figure out the Gates themselves might be used as a weapon was given barely any thought. Yes, they figured out this possibility but I think it is fair to say they did not have a plan or consider the larger ramifications at all.

Heck, they apparently knew a Gate could be weaponized, but they may not have realized that this could actually be used to kill a god. The gods live Out There and the Gates wrap Rifts in the fabric of This World Here. Whether they did or did not recognize this specific possibility is speculation.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sunny meeting the MitD will be gold. I wouldn't be surprised if the two ended up as long-term friends in the end.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh, I'd peg Serini as CN at best.
    oh no, here we go again...
    Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    So is that a valid legal defence if you are evil ? - Just say "Yeah, I did it. So ?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerussite View Post
    Nothing says 'I love you' better than 'I prepared explosive runes this morning'.
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I like how the pluralization suggests that this hypothetical ancient theatre keeps separate machines for each god that will pop up at different points in the narrative.
    Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    Very few people know that the origins of the Python Magnum involved espionage, meetings at midnight, and a briefcase full of shower curtains.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Shh, no one tell her that the gods WERE willing to negotiate with the Dark One until he blocked everybody.
    Ninja'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I almost missed Lien's "Jump the shark" reference.
    One of the best lines in the strip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Sunny meeting the MitD will be gold. I wouldn't be surprised if the two ended up as long-term friends in the end.
    It might get overly cute, though.

Strip assessment:
    1. Belkar returns to his Truth Teller role: he's been doing that since way early in OoTS.
    2. Lien: shark jump reference nicely slipped in.
    3. O-Chul's eleven puppy dog eyes line was perfect.
    4. Expression on Lien's face as regards "Yes, we're all friend now" was nicely presented.

The rest of it was like eating popcorn rather than a meal, given the inevitability of the need to get Serini on their side.

I had yet another Talkie man talkie too much flashback.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-04-26 at 12:39 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh Nine Hells yes, Belkar is helping in a way that doesn't involve fighting!

6. - Top - End - #66

I would wager on that outcome happening.

Also impressive role playing and use of charisma-based skills by all of the parties involved. Sunny gets extra points for making a paladin change her mind

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, you need a halfling to convince halfling I guess.
    And yes, one thing you can count on about the gods, they will self-preserve first and foremost.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

What I loved most in this strip was a subtle probe of Roy by Serini - asking about "what if the best way to solve the situation involves helping Xykon". It is a nice way of testing him - is he on a vengeance quest? Can he be trusted to make judgements, or will he warp truth to fit his point of view?
    ... and sorry for my bad English in the post above.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StragaSevera View Post
    What I loved most in this strip was a subtle probe of Roy by Serini - asking about "what if the best way to solve the situation involves helping Xykon". It is a nice way of testing him - is he on a vengeance quest? Can he be trusted to make judgements, or will he warp truth to fit his point of view?
    And don't forget: "will he lie to me about it?"
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

What's the DC for a will save against puppy dog eyes?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Serini really needs to work on her "never trust a lawful good person" issue. It's understandable given her past, but it has almost resulted in the world being destroyed. Good thing Belkar and Haylee are here.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Serini really needs to work on her "never trust a lawful good person" issue. It's understandable given her past,
    Hardly, but I'd offer that it is more understandable given that she was sweet on Girard and his issues with LG was nearly a mania. It seems to have rubbed off on her.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-04-26 at 01:36 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Would Roy concede something to Xykon if it fixed the problem?

Looks like my "Xykon supplants Hel" theory has some juice. Or at least a wink and a nod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What problem would that solve?
    And how would that even work?

----

Anyway, very satisfying strip. I tried to find somewhere I may have mentioned that Belkar would be the one to-- or at least play a major part to-- convince Serini, but I couldn't find anything with a search. (And I very much doubt I was the only one.) And it may have just been a hypothetical "I'd like to see that" imagined conversation rather than a prediction. Anyway, again, very satisfying, and vindicating, and I get the sense we're close to wrapping up this chapter so I'm excited to see what comes next.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Is it just me, or does Belkar crane his head forward the littlest amount in panels 5 and 11? It feels like a really subtle change having a big impact on his expressivity.

And when was the last time he smiled like in page 2, panel 6? It looks good on him.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hallelujah, there's nothing like previously resolutely obstinate characters finally actually coming around to seeing some genuine sense.

Roy and Durkon should frankly never be in charge of any diplomatic efforts again unless there are no other choices available. Leave that to Belkar, Haley and Elan whenever possible.

So now that this one tentative ray of cooperative hope has been cast into the situation, what fresh horrors await in a couple of strips? I wonder.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Too much to love about this comic. Great job, Giant. <3

Not sure (there really is too much) but if I had to pick, my favorite aspect would be Belkar as the realist diplomat and Lien as his foil.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Great chaotic empathy check by Belkar there.

I almost missed Lien's "Jump the shark" reference.

Given the setting, I'd have additional questions about Sunny's "Cool dead bug". Bug sized or creature sized? Dead or "dead"? Does it have ice properties? "Bug" as in an arthropod or as in bugbear/bugaboo/bogeyman?
    Thank you, I did miss it and that would have been a shame. (^_^)b

I'm going with "an ankheg that's now literally stoned".
    (Now I'm imagining Sunny as Frank N. Furter, with Elan as Magenta and Columbia comforting him: "It just took a small accident... an accident!")
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

17. - Top - End - #77

BardGuy

Some time ago, I posted an idea that heroes will have to defeat not only Team Evil, but also gods themselves. In this strip, Roy admits that he wants to protect the world from gods aswell. So, who knows, maybe my idea was right. Mortals can't actually cause damage to gods, but maybe they will somehow, with help/use of Snarl for example, render them uncapable to impact the world, or maybe force them to leave it alone.

After all they can't be sure that gods won't erase everything even if Snarl is defeated, just in case. And if the author will use the not so rare idea, to make the plot turn upside down in the almost end, and the Snarl will be revealed as a good guy or at least his struggle with gods will be revealed as "turf war" with no good guys at all, protagonists will want to achieve true freedom.

18. - Top - End - #78

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Some time ago, I posted an idea that heroes will have to defeat not only Team Evil, but also gods themselves. In this strip, Roy admits that he wants to protect the world from gods aswell. So, who knows, maybe my idea was right. Mortals can't actually cause damage to gods, but maybe they will somehow, with help/use of Snarl for example, render them uncapable to impact the world, or maybe force them to leave it alone.

After all they can't be sure that gods won't erase everything even if Snarl is defeated, just in case. And if the author will use the not so rare idea, to make the plot turn upside down in the almost end, and the Snarl will be revealed as a good guy or at least his struggle with gods will be revealed as "turf war" with no good guys at all, protagonists will want to achieve true freedom.
    What would be the point of that? The Gods already refrain from interfering in the material world outside of empowering mortals. That's even an obstacle to the heroes, since they can't get the Gods to offer anything that could placate TDO. The only threat they pose is potentially destroying the world, which they wouldn't want to do if the Order actually manages to save the day.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    Well, you need a halfling to convince halfling I guess.
    More like you need a crook to convince a crook. Or a cynic to convince a cynic.

(I will say however that this exchange is a great example of how being aware of and properly appealing to a NPC's Ideals, Bonds and Flaws trumps natural charisma.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    And yes, one thing you can count on about the gods, they will self-preserve first and foremost.
    Considering that they literally can't even go talk to the DO if he doesn't want them to without making Snarl 2.0, I'm inclined to be just a bit more charitable toward them than she and Belkar are being. It's not as black and white as saying the gods are inherently selfish; Thor is doing the best he can within their byzantine rules to safely effect change, because the cost of breaking those rules is far too high, especially now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #80

Some time ago, I posted an idea that heroes will have to defeat not only Team Evil, but also gods themselves.
    #388 aside, this is not final fantasy.
    In this strip, Roy admits that he wants to protect the world from gods aswell. So, who knows, maybe my idea was right. Mortals can't actually cause damage to gods, but maybe they will somehow, with help/use of Snarl for example, render them uncapable to impact the world, or maybe force them to leave it alone.
    In 3.5e gods can be fought. I forget the exact rules, and they tend to have stats and abilities well into the epic, but they are technically fightable.

And if the author will use the not so rare idea, to make the plot turn upside down in the almost end, and the Snarl will be revealed as a good guy or at least his struggle with gods will be revealed as "turf war" with no good guys at all, protagonists will want to achieve true freedom.
    My understanding (and I believe there are qoutes from the giant to support this) is that the snarl isn't a character, it's a macguffin.

Also, if you're going to turn a story upside down at the end, it should look better upside down. Like a good murder mystery may surprise you at the very end, but you'll agree that the final understanding of events is logical, more-so even that presumptions before the big reveal.

Given the themes, I really don't see this story looking better upside down.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

render them uncapable to impact the world, or maybe force them to leave it alone.
    Baby out with the bathwater noted. That doesn't solve anything, the world is still close to being eaten by the snarl. Thor isn't lying about that based on the extended encounter Durkon and Minrah had with Thor in the afterlife.
    More like you need a crook to convince a crook. Or a cynic to convince a cynic.
    Or a jerk to speak in a jerk's language.

It's not as black and white as saying the gods are inherently selfish; Thor is doing the best he can within their byzantine rules to safely effect change, because the cost of breaking those rules is far too high, especially now.
    And not just for the gods.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sounds like Babylon 5

The real question for me is if the Greek coded gods exist still on that planet inside the snarl or if thats the "real world"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaecp View Post
    Sounds like Babylon 5

The real question for me is if the Greek coded gods exist still on that planet inside the snarl or if thats the "real world"
    Thr Giant is on the record saying that Earth isn't the planet in the Rift and that it (Earth) will never feature in the comic.

No word on Zeus's clan, though.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I would pay to watch that spinoff series
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Great page

I really hope (but doubt) that Eugene can watch them right now. His reaction to Roys answer would be interesting

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don't know how I feel about this one. It feels more like a "bash the gods" moment more than anything else.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

a cynic to convince a cynic.
    I think that's what it is. Serini is cynical about the Order's chances and their confidence in their ability not to screw this up, and-- funnily enough, in a parallel to Redcloak-- finds it rather convenient that their argument about what the gods will do just happens to line up with their pre-existing goals. It takes Belkar-- not just a fellow halfling but someone nobody would mistake as having the best of intentions-- to lay it out in terms of the gods' own motivations, which is something Serini, being also cynical about authority and power, readily understands.

28. - Top - End - #88

HalflingWizardGirl

That was amazing! I really enjoyed Roy’s “Actually, it’s hideously complicated” line, and of course Elan an Sunny’s tag-team puppy eyes was both adorable and hilarious!

Of course it’d be Belkar who is the one to break through! It’s so obvious in hindsight, but I still didn’t see it coming before now.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Got a little typo on the first speech bubble, 4th panel of page 2 says "when was I working the angles" instead of "when I was working the angles", love the fact that Belkar is the one to convince her.
    I had to read your post about 5 times before I saw what was different between your two quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronfar View Post
    What's the DC for a will save against puppy dog eyes?
    Maybe about 5 per eye? Against 11 eyes, that's a DC 55 will save.

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Looks like my "Xykon supplants Hel" theory has some juice. Or at least a wink and a nod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What problem would that solve?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    And how would that even work?
    Don't get him started. Just go get some tissues for all the epileptic trees.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    I don't know how I feel about this one. It feels more like a "bash the gods" moment more than anything else.
    I mean, given the way they voted, can you say they don't deserve it?
    Forum Wisdom