New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 14th Doctor Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Jupiter Ascending has Looms?
    It might have. I went into that one really honestly trying to like it and I still barely remember anything about it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

From how I remember it, the main character was just accidentally an exact genetic copy of the Queen of the Universe. I don't think there was ever much more of an explanation than that.

As for looms, I can't really see the galactic aristocracy as portrayed giving birth the normal way. On the other hand, they believe an exact genetic copy is in fact a spiritual reincarnation, too, and has all the rights of the previous copy, so I can't help but think that if the aristocracy could clone themselves on death, they would.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #123
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post

Here
    's what Cartmel thinks about the Timeless Child and how it relates to his Caramel Marzipan.
    I agree with a lot of this. Chibnall took the "overexplain the Doctor" mantra from Moffat's era and dialed it up past eleven. Never mind the Doctor being special because they were the brilliant objector from the Time War, now they're special because they were the source of every Time Lords' power from the very start? And now with Chibnall dipping out, we're going to either be left with any attempt to explain that being half-baked, or none at all.

The part I definitely disagree with however is his dislike for the screwdriver. It's not only eminently practical for the Doctor to have such a tool, it's a brilliant bit of identity for each incarnation from a marketing and merchandising perspective, right up there with the Doctor's choice of outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The part I definitely disagree with however is his dislike for the screwdriver. It's not only eminently practical for the Doctor to have such a tool, it's a brilliant bit of identity for each incarnation from a marketing and merchandising perspective, right up there with the Doctor's choice of outfit.
    The screwdriver is a bit overused. The Doctor seems to rely on it for almost everything these days. I'd like them to fiddle more with stuff going forward, rather than always pull-out the magic do-anything tool.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, but it can be overused. The TARDIS is rarely the direct solution to a problem. The Sonic Screwdriver no longer has clearly-defined abilities and tends to be used as a magic wand.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The screwdriver is a bit overused. The Doctor seems to rely on it for almost everything these days. I'd like them to fiddle more with stuff going forward, rather than always pull-out the magic do-anything tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    Yes, but it can be overused. The TARDIS is rarely the direct solution to a problem. The Sonic Screwdriver no longer has clearly-defined abilities and tends to be used as a magic wand.
    I think demoting it from Elder Wand to tricorder is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Remember when it was destroyed because the writers were relying on it too much? Back then it wasn't even appearing in every story, as it seems to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    To be fair, that ship kind of sailed when Pertwee used it to open a door. Although as it was the door to a lab he was using I suppose 'he's just using it's turning powers to activate hidden circuitry' is valid.

But the fact that they felt they had to introduce 'deadlock seals' to defeat the sonic screwdriver drives me nuts. You could defeat the Classic Screwdriver with a maglock or the fact that using it for lockpicking took time.

Plus the Doctor would never just put it down and wander off in the new series.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.