New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XII: the LA-bors of Heracles

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    An anime water girl can't possibly be the actual art WotC used, right?
    WotC didn't use any art.
    I suppose we should be glad Debatra didn't come across a Monster Musume image first...

The ectoplasm elemental doesn't have nothing. Its slam deals as much damage an equivalently-sized greatsword (more for Large+ ones), even ignoring the sticky acid damage; Engulf is a neat ability, even if it's only useful on smaller enemies, the elemental type doesn't have any good size-changing effects, and the ectoplasm elemental still seems to be grappled while using it; and DR/- is always nice.
    But the elementals with few enough HD to be considered are small enough that their grappling abilities are only useless on harmless vermin and Ratlar the Rat Witch. That basically leaves them with a slam comparable to a normal weapon, damage reduction, and a heap of situational immunities. Oh, and if you shake hands with a peasant they're gonna go to the ER. -0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean‚ that's just a Fire elemental with worse stats and worse speed. Engulf won't come up before you have too many HD to be viable. 4 natural armor is good on a 2RHD creature‚ but the inability to wield weapon and the absence of any useful ability makes it uninteresting. -0 for all.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    An anime water girl can't possibly be the actual art WotC used, right?
    More’s the pity, really.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    WotC didn't use any art.
    I suppose we should be glad Debatra didn't come across a Monster Musume image first...
    Coward. :p
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Unless they're canonically blob girls, because that's one case I'll use WotC's softbanning method and give them +5 LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

What if you psywar so you can get big enough to engulf with low hd? Still voting -0.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm agree. -0
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    What if you psywar so you can get big enough to engulf with low hd? Still voting -0.
    -0, but...

An ectoplasm elemental 2/psychic warrior 1 can become Medium, letting her engulf goblins. Ectomental 4/psywar 1 or ectomental 2/psywar 7 lets her become Large and engulf normal mooks. She would need ectomental 4/psywar 7 to engulf larger bruisers, and it's not worth considering what it would take to engulf something Huge or Gargantuan.

But unless there's a Persistent Power metapsychic feat or something, you're only getting that for a handful of rounds per manifestation.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like an easy -0 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    +0 - Beni-Kujaku, Troacctid, Caelestion, loky1109, InvisibleBison, GreatWyrmGold, emulord
    -0 - ff7hero, Thurbane, remetagross
    Not sure it would affect the outcome, but my vote was actually +1, not -0.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm wondering, what makes a creature an elemental? If it's just "being made from the stuff of a plane", then most outsiders should be elementals. The blood elemental is an outsider despite being very clearly made of the stuff of the demiplane of blood. Right now, "true" elementals include the four elements, a few paraelementals, Taint, Shadow and Ectoplasm elementals. Taint elementals are created from taint (which may or may not come from the Abyss), but are explicitly said to not be true elementals as they are not created from the four elements. Shadow elementals lack this language, and seem to be real elementals in all regards, and darkness elementals in 2e were in a way quasi-elementals of shadow and negative energy (though they are considered elementals while the nightshades are considered undead). There was never a positive or negative energy elemental, though quasi-elementals of the four elements and negative and positive energy existed in 2e.

Until now, all elementals were creatures mostly composed of the stuff from five specific inner planes and their combinations: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Shadow. But the Ectoplasm Elemental... isn't. The Demiplane of Ectoplasm is in the middle of the Astral Plane, and cannot be reached through the Ethereal like the inner planes. It works like an elemental, but it's like the taint elemental in that it's not made of the same thing. I feel like the wizards and scholars of the D&D world call "elementals" every formless thing that is easy to summon, which incidentally means the creatures from the closest planes to the material planes: the inner planes and the plane of shadow. Afterwards, everything that can easily be summoned that didn't look like anything they knew (ectoplasm elemental, taint elemental, blood elemental), they called elementals without regards to if that made sense. And I'm not sure if "wizards" here does mean "Wizards" or just the in-game wizards.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

The blood elemental is stated to be kind of a misnomer, to be fair.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the lore makes it clear that what some guy dubbed "the Elemental Plane of Blood" is actually some kind of quasi-Lovecraftian alien dimension.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The description of outsider in the Monster Manuals mentions that they are made at least partially out of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of other planes, with the implication that elementals are made of material. Also, elementals are homogenous (Edit: or mostly homogenous; see also omnimental), while outsiders in general have at least some kind of anatomy (don't ask me what kind of vital organs you see when vivisecting a lantern archon, but it must have them. Otherwise it would be immune to critical hits and sneak attacks).

To me, the demiplane of ectoplasm reflects some of those demiplanes that existed in 2e on the Ethereal, like the demiplane of electromagnetism. From what I remember, there were Ethereal demiplanes that "mimicked" elemental planes (like electromagnetism, metal or wood) which were also inhabited by elementals. I think the demiplane of ectoplasm is cut from the same cloth (and if it weren't a psionic demiplane, I would propably transfere it to the Ethereal).

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the lore makes it clear that what some guy dubbed "the Elemental Plane of Blood" is actually some kind of quasi-Lovecraftian alien dimension.
    I might have even asked this on one of Afroakumar's threads, but I wonder if it's related to The Far Realm...

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I might have even asked this on one of Afroakumar's threads, but I wonder if it's related to The Far Realm...
    Yep, you did. It's on the last page of thread number seven, and the answer you got was this:

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma
    Well, let's see. An actual blood elemental would be summoned from the Deep Ethereal conduits around Ravenloft, but that's not what that thing is - that thing is an outsider labeled "blood elemental" by a mad mage who developed a summoning spell that contacts an Outer Plane in an alternate cosmology (or possibly an unknown layer of the Abyss, which is just as plausible and, as noted, dude was crazy).

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

This monster sucks. The large one has the best ratio of ability modifiers to HDs but then the fact its abilities' DC does not factor in any ability score makes them very nonthreatening. LA-0 for all.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground

[...]
    CR: 1/2 if a 1st-level Warrior
    WotC LA: +0
    Our LA: __

It's a Psionic Dwarf [...]
    You appear not to have filled in the LA for these guys.

I would also like to vote -0 for all sizes of goo-girl. Wow, I'm not sure I've ever been up to date and able to vote on one of these threads before.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I'm wondering, what makes a creature an elemental?
    An elemental is made of elemental energy. An outsider is made of planar energy. Simple.

This distinction may seem arbitrary for elemental planes; it may, in fact, be arbitrary. The distinction between, say, a djinn and an air elemental seems to follow the biologist's rule of thumb ("you know it when you see it"). But that's the logic that D&D seems to operate on.

(This is probably part of why 5e dissolved the Outsider classification.)
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

A clear -0 across the board. Next is the Elhoriad.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Size & Type: Medium Undead
    Space/Reach: 5'/5'
    HD: 5
    Speed: 30'
    Ability Scores: Str +6, Dex +6, Con -, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +2 - Net +14, no penalties
    Natural Armor: 5
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Claws (1d4 plus Entropic Touch)
    Skill List: Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot
    Body Shape: Humanoid Skeleton
    Speech (Languages): Not specified, presumably no.
    CR: 3
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: -0

They look like charred black skeletons, which often causes foes to underestimate them. They have a generally better statline, as well as actual intelligence. They retain the DR 5/bludgeoning and cold immunity of their mindless cousins, though they don't get Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. They're proficient with longswords, which is nice I guess.

They only have one special power, though it's actually quite nice. Whenever an Elhoriad hits an aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, outsider, plant, or vermin with one of its claws, the victim must make a Charisma-based Fortitude save or take 1d4 points of drain to both Strength and Constitution.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2022-09-04 at 10:38 AM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Great, a skeleton without bonus feat and 5 RHD. It is intelligent, and the claw rider is strong but it still misses the mark for me (also, oozes and elementals are immune). LA -0

It's more dangerous as a monster than as a PC, and still is only CR 3.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-09-01 at 06:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could probably make a clawlock out of the skeleton. Undead immunities are nice, 5 Undead hit dice are not - does it have any kind of Turn Resistance?

Is there a simple way to get the drain to be a bigger die than a d4? It's been a while since I've done much with 3.5e.

If we're assuming our friend here can't talk I'd give it -0 for sure. If it can talk... probably still -0 but I'd be less certain.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It looks as -0. Useful in some circumstances -0, but still -0.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Debatra, you've put a net ability modifier of +20 for these guys, but it should be +14.

They're cute. Their rider should specify "anything except oozes, undead and elementals", it should be faster. They're an LA-0 for me, but actually not that far off from an LA+0 - 5 RHDs is just that bit too much.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

On one hand, it has one really cool special ability (weird wording aside). It affects everything except constructs, elementals, oozes, or undead; why not just say "living creature except elementals or oozes," or better yet, cut to the chase and say anything immune to critical hits is immune to Entropic Touch?

Anyways, Entropic Touch weakens enemies you hit, and enemies which don't care about Strength will probably be more Constitution-starved, so the only enemies it's useless against are the ones immune to it. And the ones that can make the saving throw—you'd definitely want to find ways to boost that!

The downside is that there aren't a lot of ways to boost Entropic Touch, and of course that elhoriads don't really have anything else at a level where wizards can fireball, warlocks can (almost) fly all day, and monks get a +1 AC bonus. Unless someone digs up some synergistic prestige class or cheese or something, -0.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

25. - Top - End - #355
    Firbolg in the Playground

why not just (…) cut to the chase and say anything immune to critical hits is immune to Entropic Touch?
    [Sighs.] Because Plants. Why does everyone keep forgetting about Plants?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

These abilities are more appropriate for a 3 HD monster. -0

27. - Top - End - #357
    Firbolg in the Playground

(Speaking of types, Deathless are arguably also immune. Not that anyone cares (or should care) about Deathless.)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Speaking of types, Deathless are arguably also immune. Not that anyone cares (or should care) about Deathless.)
    I mean‚ they're positive energy undead‚ they're already immune to ability drain.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    [Sighs.] Because Plants. Why does everyone keep forgetting about Plants?
    I can't decide whether to say it's because there are hardly any interesting plants, because I forgot plants were immune to crits, or because I forgot about plants.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

I can't decide whether to say it's because there are hardly any interesting plants, because I forgot plants were immune to crits, or because I forgot about plants.
    Probably “yes”.

Extended sig here.