New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!

Well, they certainly seem to work well together.

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20170927
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, I always thought the coffee machine was destroyed after making that perfect cup of coffee. Would have fit narratively, and all that.

Nope, can't find it. Agatha takes the perfect brew, Vanamonde sips from it and is transported, Captain Vole kicks in the door, Agatha gives him a few decent whacks, Agatha decides everyone's better off the sooner she gets to the Castle, and the townspeople prepare to face off against Vole. Scene change.

By the time Gil tastes it, it's been toned down. What happened?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    You know, I always thought the coffee machine was destroyed after making that perfect cup of coffee. Would have fit narratively, and all that.

Nope, can't find it. Agatha takes the perfect brew, Vanamonde sips from it and is transported, Captain Vole kicks in the door, Agatha gives him a few decent whacks, Agatha decides everyone's better off the sooner she gets to the Castle, and the townspeople prepare to face off against Vole. Scene change.

It got cold. It is no longer served in Van's personal cups. Without Agatha running the machine it makes good, but not perfect, coffee. Take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

I think it was purposefully detuned from the perfect setting or something along those lines. It was never said directly, but it would make sense.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #545

It's implied it's been fixed, cf. last panel here: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20070625

Now Agatha herself doesn't seem to have taken the time to do it ("take me to the Castle now") but I figure anyone else could have messed a bit with the settings, starting with the cafe keeper. There's certainly no shortage of valves and knobs that could be tweaked ever-so-slightly differently on this machine: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20070618
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Some sculptor had a death wish. The clock on the nose is a nice touch.

She IS in a hurry...

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

What is up with Franz's face in panel 1?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What is up with Franz's face in panel 1?
    Looks like his eyes are closed for some reason? I'd assume an art error tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

9. - Top - End - #549

I thought it was supposed to be Franz turning around looking backwards at the walls of the tunnel gate.

It's not the sculptor's fault. It's a very good likeness of Franz. It's on whoever named the gate... Or whoever failed to keep the records of what the gate was named, allowing it to be nicknamed while Franz slept.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #550

I thought it was supposed to be Franz turning around looking backwards at the walls of the tunnel gate.

It's not the sculptor's fault. It's a very good likeness of Franz. It's on whoever named the gate... Or whoever failed to keep the records of what the gate was named, allowing it to be nicknamed while Franz slept.
    The lack of teeth doesn't help. Of course it'd make the gate hard to cross if they were there...-
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #551

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The lack of teeth doesn't help. Of course it'd make the gate hard to cross if they were there...-
    Hmm. Yeah, the missing teeth does make it less dragon and more toad*. But they wouldn't be big enough to block the gate if they were correctly sized in proportion to, say, the nostrils. There's a decent gap above Franz's head, there. And if they did block the gate, well, this is Mechanicsburg!

*Had to double check, toads do not have teeth; one species of frog has true teeth, some others have tooth- or fang-like structures.

12. - Top - End - #552

SamuraiGuy

A gate usable only by pedestrians is still a gate.

Anyway, the party at Franz' place will be one for the ages.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #553

Yay, amusing minor character is back! Glad to see the monks are letting him travel.

14. - Top - End - #554

SamuraiGuy

Since nothing that size sneaks up on Mechanicsburg, Humongulous must be part of the defensive equipment for the trains. I wonder if the Castle is going to interfere? Probably, though, this is going to be a conversation.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Yay, amusing minor character is back! Glad to see the monks are letting him travel.
    Yaaaay! Humongulous !

Franz's face shows the surprise that:
    a) someone wants to try
    b) the voice is happy about trying
    c) the voice comes from above him!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

Heh, Humongulous was fun.

I'd like to nominate: "Finding new ways to stay un-squished!" as a thread name. A long shot but I think it's worth nominating
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post

I'd like to nominate: "Finding new ways to stay un-squished!" as a thread name. A long shot but I think it's worth nominating
    From the depths of my heart I cast my vote at thee.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Duly noted.

And of course Humongulous is working with the Railway... I wonder if he's joing the party? We have a thief and a dragonborn fighter - a tank wouldn't go amiss...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Duly noted.

And of course Humongulous is working with the Railway... I wonder if he's joing the party? We have a thief and a dragonborn fighter - a tank wouldn't go amiss...
    I suppose a dragon technically qualifies as "dragonborn" but that feels like a very misleading label. Like if I were calling myself a half-human, when both of my halves are human.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"Finding CLEVER new ways to stay un-squished." (It's better when quoted verbatim)

But of course I have to vote for it, this is a brilliant title, kudos.
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

21. - Top - End - #561

Beholder

HOMUNGULUS! Still the primary clank at this location!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dost thou even lyft?
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I suppose a dragon technically qualifies as "dragonborn" but that feels like a very misleading label. Like if I were calling myself a half-human, when both of my halves are human.
    I cite precident: If it works for half-orcs...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

24. - Top - End - #564

Might even depend if you define "Dragonborn" as "descendant of dragon". If, as speculated, Franz was the first dragon, then he might not be!

25. - Top - End - #565
    Colossus in the Playground

I think franz might be in a bit of trouble. He seems to me to be the type of guy who talks a good game but cant really follow up on it against real threats. Remember his time during the castle siege? That other dragon was running franz's pockets until he got that super charge. Hes kinda like the local tough. Yeah he can handle himself against the other locals or regular guys, but put him up against someone trained and he is getting the roadhouse treatment.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I think franz might be in a bit of trouble. He seems to me to be the type of guy who talks a good game but cant really follow up on it against real threats. Remember his time during the castle siege? That other dragon was running franz's pockets until he got that super charge. Hes kinda like the local tough. Yeah he can handle himself against the other locals or regular guys, but put him up against someone trained and he is getting the roadhouse treatment.
    While I suspect there'll be a little bit of humbling related to this (being The Dragon of Mechanicsburg doesn't carry as much weight when you aren't in reach of Der Kestle and roving bands of Jaegers showing up to back you up within minutes of a fight starting) I think you're also short selling our big green buddy quite a bit. During the siege he was running on reserve power, nearly empty. Just like the Castle. He destroyed his opponent quite handily after being charged.. and this story is with Agatha in residence as The Heterodyne and the Guild of Monsters around again to look after their members. Franz can get charged up any time he likes and his default state is likely much closer to 'overcharged' than 'empty.' (..and looking at the art, the gauges on him are pretty much all over on the Full side than the Empty side compared to the Siege of Mechanicsburg sequence.)

(..also hey found a neat bit of foreshadowing while trying to verify those pages. One of the ingredients in the wasp proofing formula Monahan's Venefirous Mus Elixir.)

27. - Top - End - #567
    Orc in the Playground

You have my sword! But perhaps more importantly, also my vote.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post
    "Finding CLEVER new ways to stay un-squished." (It's better when quoted verbatim)

But of course I have to vote for it, this is a brilliant title, kudos.
    Ah! Yes, the original "Finding clever new ways to stay un-squished." was intended. My ancient brain can't keep a quote straight for the length of a post
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    From where is this quote?
    Current comic (Wednesday 5 October). Will link once it has a number attached.

30. - Top - End - #570

SamuraiGuy

I rise to the defense of Franz Scorchmaw and point out that even during the years when there was no Heterodyne in residence, the Castle was crippled, the Jagers were absent, and the Baron was responsible for town security - the very considerable and quite legendary hoard of the Heterodynes remained untouched. And given the Baron's opinions of Clan Heterodyne, I'm a little surprised he didn't loot it himself, as a means of weakening the power of any future heir.

No, Franz is actually All That.