New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1259 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    In three months, it'll be an LP.
    (Explanation for Young People: Back in the day, sound recordings were... ah, never mind, get off my lawn.)
    IIRC, we were an LP about a month ago, since the speed was 33 1/3, right?

PS: Nice joke, I giggled.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-06-08 at 02:47 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    In all honestly, when talking about word count per page, I feel like OOTS has the highest counts of any comic I can remember reading that doesn't get into the trap of 'show, don't tell'.
    Book 7 is currently running at 281.48 words per page. This puts it in third place by source, behind the Gygax Magazine comics (288.17) and Don’t Split the Party (305.52).

I don’t have numbers for any other non-OotS comics, but I’m guessing you’re right that it’s among the highest.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    Okay, funny question, what's the webcomic you can remember reading with the lowest word count per page that does fall into 'show, don't tell'?

I meant in terms that I never hear 'show, don't tell' used as a criticism, despite there being a lot of talking. You do a lot of reading in OOTS, even if the most action packed sections, but I've never felt that the reading was dull, or that it would be better off to not have the text. I never feel like I'm getting a boring info dump that would have been better off doing a flashback.

I think the reason for that is because the art is very simple, so you can fit in a lot more than you would be able to otherwise. The panels per page is WAY higher than most comics can fit in, making each page much more dense and sastisfying to read than is normally the case.

Last edited by tomaO2; 2022-06-08 at 03:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

I just gotta say I love the perspective in Panel 7. Awesome job, Rich!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post

No joke, my current job is like this. You're only in a meeting if the meeting is important and your input/awareness is directly required. Meetings are efficient and we're done on time. I don't know how they're doing it - my current guess is witchcraft. It's freaking eerie.
    Sign of a good manager or team leader.

Honestly managers that are actually good can make a job so much better. It just seems like they're rare, as many folks get put in that role without training and/or aptitude for the task (or their "aptitude" is to be popular with higher ranking people not to be good at managing their own people)

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    IIRC, we were an LP about a month ago, since the speed was 33 1/3, right?

PS: Nice joke, I giggled.
    Er, yes. My math skills are really crappy lately.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Honestly managers that are actually good can make a job so much better.
    FWIW: I got plenty of training, but I certainly had to develop the aptitude over time in a learn by doing deal, which of course means I made some errors. Yes, I can learn, but I wish I'd have learned more quickly.

Some people I know adapted much more quickly than I did, so the aptitude is a thing.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Um, shouldn't they be worried about Xykon scrying for them?
    Wann bet the magic stone also stops divination spells?
    Ever read the book "I'm OK, You're OK" {Harris} about transactional analysis?
    There was a part in that about the roles people assume in a conversation and various attempts to frame their positions as adult -> child or parent -> child ... which is what Haley is doing.
    The author (Harris) does not illustrate that as healthy relationship.

Granted, Rich uses exaggeration for attempted comic effect with great frequency, and poking at tropes/patterns like that also.

While I am not sure if that book was the origin of The Parent, Adult, Child (P-A-C) model, it's the first place I remember seeing it).
    Spoiler: RL example
    Show

My daughter tried to pull that crap on my wife last year (P-C interaction) and caused some interpersonal trauma. They eventually sorted it out.

Your 'gut reaction' to that strikes me as rational.
    Hey I did a test a few days ago to see what behaviour I had expressed the most. I had even scores of 5/6 out of ten across the board. Not sure what that says about me.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #69

MindFlayer

Does the button trick really work? I wish I'd known that when my kids were little.

Come to think of it, it might have been good for me when I was little.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Does the button trick really work? I wish I'd known that when my kids were little.

Come to think of it, it might have been good for me when I was little.
    Don't ask me, my grandma didn't need a jar of buttons to keep me occupied. She had books.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #71

Chimera

Bard, you go use your CHA and make friends! Everyone else, we use our INT stats.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    I don't see Haley as disrespectful, nor an unhealthy dynamic necessarily. Elan is childish in intellectual matters, with intelligence being his dump stat. His growth story arc focused on learning how to manage his emotions, gaining wisdom and behaving as an adult in his family and couple relationships. That's a good basis for a healthy relationship, if that means she has to handle matters that require brain power.
    (side note: the "disrespectful" comment at the end was in reference to a separate topic from Korvin. I don't see Haley as being disrespectful to Elan.)

Yeah, I really appreciated Elan's character growth -- both in his Dashing Swordsman arc and then in BRitF as well. He's come a very long way and has really developed a much stronger sense of agency, which is important if you're going to A) set out to save the world and B) do a romantic relationship with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhid C View Post
    Yeah, it's a fine line. I'm okay with "You can go play with Sunny"; if I were given the choice between attending a strategy meeting and having an "unstructured alliance-strengthening excercise" with a child, I'd be fine with someone who knew what my choice would be characterising it that way. "No roughhousing", however, is the point where I think "Okay, mom."
    Ever read the book "I'm OK, You're OK" {Harris} about transactional analysis?
    There was a part in that about the roles people assume in a conversation and various attempts to frame their positions as adult -> child or parent -> child ... which is what Haley is doing.
    The author (Harris) does not illustrate that as healthy relationship.

Granted, Rich uses exaggeration for attempted comic effect with great frequency, and poking at tropes/patterns like that also.
    Your 'gut reaction' to that strikes me as rational.
    Yeah, part of it is definitely that exaggeration is a cornerstone of humor, so pushing Elan's scatterbrained outlook further for laughs is understandable. Usually it's fun (the way he and Sunny feed off of each other is a delight), but I think the dialogue between him and Haley gets dissonant sometimes with the rest of the character growth around them. Much like Belkar, it feels like Elan's had to evolve multiple times over the course of this comic strip to not get left behind by things getting more serious and complex, and mining his immaturity for humor (especially in the context of a romantic relationship) can feel hit or miss for me as a result.

Although the only part that really feels icky for me is the convention of "Mom Girlfriend" -- a girlfriend who has to act maternal because her partner is incapable of taking care of himself. It's not that it's a problem in OotS, because Haley & Elan have a complex relationship based on trust and respect and we've spent a ton of time exploring them and their relationship. They support each other and help each other and in general, I really like them as a couple -- they're high up on my list of functional fictional couples. However, if the joke gets too "parent-child", it can start to remind me of less-skilled stories that treat the girlfriend like this constantly and with no other redeeming qualities to the relationship. Kinda makes you think the authors of those other stories simply don't know how girls actually function outside of the role of "mom."
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2022-06-08 at 04:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant in terms that I never hear 'show, don't tell' used as a criticism, despite there being a lot of talking.
    "Show, don't tell" is often misunderstood advice; it really has more to do with how the author portrays the characters. As a storyteller, you don't want to communicate who your characters are by your narrator's description of them or by how other characters describe them; you want to show who they are through their own words and actions. In which case, having the characters talk a lot can still be fine.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2022-06-08 at 04:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so: Sunny is reminding me very much of an autistic kid. Speaking as someone on the spectrum, there's something about them that was slightly stronger than my sheer TERROR at the sight of a beholder; and now, I think I know what it is.

I RELATE to the big orange spaz.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, boy, just thought of something: Suppose that Elan inducts Sunny into the Church of Banjo?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Oh, boy, just thought of something: Suppose that Elan inducts Sunny into the Church of Banjo?
    First time I’ve laughed at one of these forum comments in a while!
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Don't ask me, my grandma didn't need a jar of buttons to keep me occupied. She had books.
    [looks at location tag]

Donald Duck, I'm guessing?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Oh man, I loved this one.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Although the only part that really feels icky for me is the convention of "Mom Girlfriend" -- a girlfriend who has to act maternal because her partner is incapable of taking care of himself.
    It's a part of why I detested Elan, the character, from about strips 1 through 10 to the present day.
    I know that Rich uses him for comic relief, and sometimes to great effect, but as a character he's not just an example of bad TV sitcom writing ... I'll stop there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-06-08 at 09:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'll have been married (once) for 33 1/2 years one month from today.
    I said I understood the high divorce rate not the 100% divorce rate.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #81

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nannas are gon'a nanna.

Well, you have to get the . . . juvinile crowd out of the way.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

After watching this, I am surprised. Do people actually do the button thing? I have never heard of such thing before. Does that actually work? Why do people do that? Is it something specific to a country?

So many questions about such an irrelevant point but I would really love to get some answers.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    After watching this, I am surprised. Do people actually do the button thing? I have never heard of such thing before. Does that actually work? Why do people do that? Is it something specific to a country?
    I don't know if it's specific to a country (I'm American), but I can testify that a jar of assorted buttons can keep a kid of a certain age occupied for a good long time. With me, it wasn't so much sorting them as just fascination with how many different kinds there were.
    "All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

24. - Top - End - #84

I'm calling it now:

we will follow Elan's sidequest with Sunny, and return with the whole planning plan to plan unrevealed to the audience, making Elan VERY PROUD of them.

Edit: We had TWO jars with in total roughly 2250 pennies, a quarter of these pennies minted in 1950.
    I could provide many more details about them, but might bore you.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2022-06-09 at 12:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post

So many questions about such an irrelevant point but I would really love to get some answers.
    It's possible that Minrah's point was about "adult giving kids random things to do so they stay out of the way" in general.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    It's possible that Minrah's point was about "adult giving kids random things to do so they stay out of the way" in general.

Yeah, I'd say that, in general, it's handy to have small activities around to distract kids on occasion. Something that's somewhat helpful or at least can be billed as helpful (kids like to be helpful), simple to do and maybe time consuming, but not that big a deal if they do a poor job or get distracted halfway through.

So that might be sorting buttons/coins
    Or pairing very similar socks
    Or any number of things
    Last edited by Yirggzmb; 2022-06-09 at 02:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Jigsaw puzzles are just a more refined application of the exact same principle after all.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I know I'm being a pedant, but for the benefit of when this eventually goes to print:
    In the last panel Haley spells exercise as "excercise"
    "Hope is the biggest and best lie there is. You have to keep going as if it all mattered, or else we wouldn\'t keep going at all"

thog fears he will never again know the majesty of the gumdrop mountains

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNooob View Post
    Also look at the arrangement of the cast in the first panel: grouped by size (humans, halflings, dwarves), color (green for the halflings, grey for the dwarves, and the analogy doesn't really work for Haley and Elan), and number (distinct groups of two all around). Roy also groups himself with the paladins later, making a blue group.

Least, that's what I'm seeing.
    : Ha, I called you all holes.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 0z79 View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so: Sunny is reminding me very much of an autistic kid. Speaking as someone on the spectrum, there's something about them that was slightly stronger than my sheer TERROR at the sight of a beholder; and now, I think I know what it is.

I RELATE to the big orange spaz.
    What makes you say that? Sunny seems to pay attention to his surroundings, to go talk to other people and express his feelings by himself, and to understand even implied meanings, like when Elan got him to close his antimagic eye, and seems to be able to adapt easily to new situations. He seems to me like he's a child, but with no evident sign of autism. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert in the field, but I'd like to know more.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.