New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default [DnD5e-IC] Ethereal Expeditions, Episode 1: The Fiend of Hollow Mine

D&D 5E - Ethereal Expeditions
    Episode 1: the Fiend of Hollow Mine

"The Astral Sea lets you stand in mute silent awe at the infinite visceral
    wonder of the universe. But sometimes, you just want a beer."

-Tenzin Miran, Captain of the Infinite Jaunt

The Infinite Jaunt makes its way out of Astral Space and settles into a plane of mountainous desert. The ship leaves the sky and settles just above the endless windswept dunes of the Indigo Desert, travelling south hugging the high, craggy Rusenor Mountains.

Emily Helmsworth, the navigator and resident anthropologist, is very excited. She'd been bugging Tenzin to make this stop for months. "In the town of San Citlan they hold a festival once every 17 years, the Night of the Remembered, when your departed ancestors sometimes actually return from the lands of the dead and visit their descendants. I've read all about it! I can't want to see it. I'm very excited."

Tenzin also looks excited (somewhat uncharastically when humouring Emily).

"And not only that!" he says, "But I heard, in the village of Milpazul, there's a guy who actually breeds and trains giant carnivirous lizards as mounts! So I figure we drop by Milzapul, rent some giant lizards, have a little reptile-cattle drive to San Citlan and see the festival!"

Emily tries to protest. She wants to go right to San Citlan and not risk missing the festival. And then maybe ride giant lizards later. But Tenzin won't hear of it. He's certain the timing will work out perfectly.

"It always does!"

"What about the eclipse on Zinda?

"It almost always works out!"

"What about the planetary alignment on Korail?"

"It usually works out!"

"What about the Wytchlight Carnival on Faerun?"

"It sometimes works out?"

"What about the modron migration in Toril?"

"Uhhh....it'll work out!"

The Jaunt takes a long, slow turn to the east and chases the sunrise as the sand beneath fades from heavy golden dunes to an impossibly airy sea of sand that rises into the sky in great clouds with every gust of wind and whose surface looks more like water than sand.

Emily, goggles on, can't stop looking. "It's called the Blossdunes. Sand so light that you can fall into it and drown like water! Fascinating! Also good for landing in."

Tenzin brings the Jaunt to a slow, smooth stop near the edge of a large rocky area."

"Alright!" Tenzin calls out, "Anyone who wants to ride giant lizards... and yes, see a unique festival involving the return of the dead... Let's head out!"

Laughter's brother, Gem, wants to go ashore, but Lorca forbids it, citing his recent lack of discipline lately and unfinished duties. Briel, however decides he wants to come ashore.

"I wish to see to the safety of young Laugher. And see the festival," he rumbles in his slow, sonorour voice. And then, a small smile. "And perhaps ride of on Captain Miran's giant lizards."

Up ahead, the rocky area tapers off into hard-packed scrubland, where a broken trail begins and leads up and away as the land rises.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Apologies for the delay, but here we are! Since we're playing without any real continuity, you're welcome to decide for yourself how long it's been since you've been offship, what you've been up and how you're doing, how you feel about this crazy errand. You're even welcome to decide if you know anything about this area, or have been here before, or anything like that.

Give me an idea of what you're bringing with you (Tenzin doesn't expect to be gone more than three or four days, and expects to spend most of that time in either Milpazul or San Citlan).

Let me know if you have any questions, and game on!
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD5e-IC] Ethereal Expeditions, Episode 1: The Fiend of Hollow Mine

Nibbles

After the Tenzin and Emily are done with the argue-discussion, a raspy, clicking noise comes from the top of a nearby shelf. As is usual, Nibbles has perched himself somewhere comfortable while he waits to join a conversation. "Astro-ley events effect local fauna. It has worth to study especially with native rituals surrounding. Ensure beasts don't eat me." With that the Kobold scurries over to take a good view of the viewport with his goggles on. Also running through his mind is a secret plan for the desert environment.

Once landed, he's the first one to slip out of the ship and runs ahead away. As much as he's comfortable around closed spaces like the ship it's been far too long for him to do one thing. Nibbles finds a nice, big, flat rock and lays down it face-up. The heat of the day hasn't gotten to the rock yet so it's cool while the sun is warm. It is very comfortable.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD5e-IC] Ethereal Expeditions, Episode 1: The Fiend of Hollow Mine

Naraga
    Tiefling Monk
    AC: 19 | HP: 39/39 | THP: 0/0
    PP: 14 | PIv: 10 | PIs: 16
    Conditions: -
    Ki: 4
    Clinging to the upper rigging for safety, Naraga trails in the wind like a red-and-white flag as the ship slips into the world. He laughs, feeling the arid desert air kiss his skin, and reaches into his pack for a little marble elephant.

"Look, Wara," he whispers to it. "Solid ground again!"

Then he gets a closer look as the Jaunt drops into the Blossdunes.

"Or some kind of ground, anyway," he amends. "Don't worry, we'll find a place to stretch your legs yet. Here's one now."

Untangling himself from the ropes, he drifts gently over the rocky area and drops the hand-sized statuette, murmuring a magic word. Wara hits the ground and cracks, springing out of white stone into full-grown, leathery elephanthood.

"Ready to go, Captain!" Naraga calls to Tenzin with a jaunty salute.

Show
    Naraga will be taking all the items not listed in the 'Not Carried' section of his inventory (I assume he has a cabin or locker somewhere in the ship where he keeps those).

A full list:
    • Wara, Marble Elephant (currently deployed)
    • Shortbow
    • 40 arrows
    • Quarterstaff
    • Backpack
    • 2 days of rations
    • Full waterskin
    • 4 gp
    • 3 sp

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Dressed in her leathers, custom-fitted to allow her wings out, and with a pack on her back, Laughter flits down to the rocky outcropping. She's about ready to head out, when she remembers something. "Bow-do not forget the bow."
    She makes her way back to her quarters, grabs her bow, and returns! She looks down at Nibbles, and chuckles. "Sunning yourself there, Nibs?"

When Birel announces his intentions for the trip, Laughter sticks her tongue out at him. "I am fully capable of looking after myself! Anyone who says otherwise is in Bugsy's pocket! But, uh," she adds on, "I do appreciate you coming with. Thanks big guy."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Nibbles

Instead of a coherent verbal response, Nibbles gives off a contented "Graaaaaaaaaaaaah" to Laughter while staying on the rock. It is a good place.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Irides

Medium Humanoid (Shardmind), N
    Druid 4, Circle of the Land of Stars

AC 17 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 43, Speed 30 ft., PB +2
    STR
    12 (+1)
    DEX
    14 (+2)
    CON
    16 (+3)
    INT
    12 (+1)
    WIS
    18 (+4)
    CHA
    10 (+0)

Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +6
    Skills Animal Handling +6, Athletics +3
    Perception +6, Survival +6

Damage Resistances radiant

Senses passive Perception 16
    Languages Common, Druidic, Ziklight

Conditions none
    Irides takes the time to acclimate himself, not so much to the heat than to the oppressive overabundance of matter all around. This is far from his first visit to a material surface, yet to him such landings still feel like getting crushed between at least two elemental planes, in this case Air and Earth. The crew is considerate enough to give him space, or "give him wildspace" as the joke goes, whenever he looks overwhelmed in this way. Finally he finds his balance and makes his way off the ship.

Once he has found an area that seems stable enough, he calls for the beasts under his care. He does so by playing with the light as it courses through his crystalline body, turning it into colorful sparkles that only he and they understand, although the beasts recognize little beyond their own names and a few simple commands. Soon all six of the Crystal Critters, as the crew know them, emerge from the ship:
    • Paprika the ruby pangolin.
    • Rosemary the quartz spider.
    • Cinnamon the sard lynx.
    • Curry the topaz junglefowl.
    • Peppermint the jade millipede.
    • Borage the lapis porcupine.

Irides observes how they adapt to this new environment and he makes sure they understand the risks presented by the exceptionally light sands. For now this cuts him from the crew's conversation, though he does try to catch the gist of it.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

7. - Top - End - #7

The going is slow at first. Emily insisted on examining everything in site and taking samples of whatever she could contain or carry. She was especially fascinated by the Blossdunes. "Think of all the things that have fallen in there over the years! The secrets they contain!"

Tenzin has to warn her away from the rocky edge more than once.

Eventually she is satisfied (and Nibbles gets a good, long soak in the bright morning sun) and they head off on the broken trail.

As the ground rises away from the Blossdunes the sand turns to hardpack dirt and vegetation appears: scrub grass, thorny shrubs, the occasional stunted, twisted tree. The wind sweeps down from the highland so the massive billowing clouds of sand retreat behind them and are replaced with sharp stinging grit.

After about an hour, the broken trail turns into a small, narrow path and then becomes a fairly well-kept road. Several other roads from further out in the Indigo Desert join it and, at the crossroads, is a sign that says:

↑ Milzapul, Rimcones, Onyx Springs, San Citlan
    → Maguey Valley, Hollow
    ↓ Indigo Desert (beware of blossdunes!)

After another hour they approach the village of Milpazul at the top of the hill. A stout, waist-high clay-brick wall surrounds the village, with the road ending in a tall, wide archway.

The sky is clear, but dark clouds cluster against the horizon, threatening rain to come.

Within the wall, about two dozen simple but well-built structures cluster around a stone well. A sign hangs, swinging from a single nail that says "Welcome to Milzapul."

As the group approaches, there's a man sitting on the wall, wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat and a old, faded serape that was once colourful.

When he sees the group approach, he leaps onto a tall, long-legged lizard and gallops off into the village.

Spoiler: Perception or Survival DC 12
    Show

In the distance, a plume of dust rises into the sky, indicating another group of people is entering the far side of Milzapul.

Spoiler: Everyone but Nibbles
    Show

There's the sound of angry voices and then muffled cries of pain from behind one of the houses across the way.

Spoiler: Perception or Investigation DC 13
    Show

In many of the windows of the houses, frightened faces peer our from behind curtains.

Spoiler: Perception DC 15, anyone with any military or hunting experience can roll with advantage
    Show

There are scufflings and sounds of people moving behind the wall.

8. - Top - End - #8

Laughter takes to the air, angling for the house she heard the pained cries from. "Hey! What's going on?" she calls out.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Irides always feels anxious when leaving the critters behind. Still, he does want to meet the giant lizards.

Proper introductions with the reptiles might have to wait, however, as the town seems agitated.

"Laughter, wait! There are people hiding behind the surrounding wall. Others are giving us frightened looks from the houses. I think the other side of the town is receiving unwanted visitors. They might think us in league with them!"
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2023-09-16 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Let's go with green instead.

10. - Top - End - #10

Stopping mid-air, she looks back to her friend. "Wouldn't that mean people are in danger? We have to help them!"

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Nibbles

After taking in some self-care time the first leg of the trip has been for Nibbles a little too mundane. It sounded like- oh there's danger. When Laughter calls out and Irides responds, Nibbles goes up on top of whatever the nearest vantage point is, whether it's just a small incline or a convenient strong shrub. His goggles make barely-audible clicking noises as they zoom around and help the kobold deal with the bright light. He hops down and makes his way quickly to near the front of the group.

"Irides speaks truth. Laughter concurs. We must not move aggressively; show we are to help."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Naraga
    Tiefling Monk
    Naraga has been floating along, letting himself be pulled through the air by keeping one hand on Wara's head.

"Aggressive motion is sometimes helpful," he remarks. "Still, perhaps the sharp things can be left..."

"Take care of these," he says, passing his bow and arrows into the curling grasp of Wara's trunk. Then he leaps off nothing, describing an arc that ends right behind the house across the way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Captain, since Laughter and Naraga are already leaping into action, I believe that I should follow them. Unless you want me to stay and help make contact with the locals?"

14. - Top - End - #14

The moment Laughter takes to the skies, she can see a number of rough-looking ruffians crouching behind the short wall. They notice the fairy flying above them and, as one, they leap up.

One of them yells out "La Paloma pays for her crimes this day!" And they all attack.

As the battle is joined, Tenzin and Birel retreat behind the nearest rocky outcropping and crouch, ready to defend Emily against any threat.

Instantly, a hail of arrows fills the air. Laughter happened to make herself visible to the lion's share of bandits, and she draws their fire. Two arrows find their mark (one causing a rather grievous wound). The others all miss.

The remaining bandits hurl arrows at the three still on the road. One strikes Nibbles a solid hit. The rest miss.

Battle at Milzapul Archway!

Show

Battle at Milzapul Archway - Round 1
    Notes:
    • Bandits' AC: 13
    • All Bandits currently have half-cover for ranged attacks.
    • The wall is a single square of Difficult Terrain, and requires an Athletics/Acrobatics check, DC 10, to vault

Spoiler: Initiative Rolls
    Show

PC Initiative:
    • Laughter - 22
    • Irides - 19
    • Aeon - 18
    • Nibbles - 16
    • Naraga - 9

Bandit Initiative:
    • Bandit 1 - 9
    • Bandit 2 - 18
    • Bandit 3 - 22 (Natural 20)
    • Bandit 4 - 18
    • Bandit 5 - 8
    • Bandit 6 - 19
    • Bandit 7 - 10

Bandits go first!
    • Bandit 1 attacks Nibbles with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
    • Bandit 2 attacks Nibbles with two Longbow arrows (w/Advantage). Miss! Hit for 7 piercing damage.
    • Bandit 3 attacks Naraga with two Longbow arrows (w/Advantage). Miss! Miss!
    • Bandit 4 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
    • Bandit 5 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
    • Bandit 6 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Critical Hit! 12 piercing damage.
    • Bandit 7 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Hit for 3 piercing damage.

PC's go next.
    • Laughter has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.
    • Irides has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 7.
    • Aeon has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 7.
    • Nibbles has Advantage on Bandits 1, 5, 7.
    • Naraga has Advantage on Bandit 5.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aeon
    Astral Elf Rogue 4
    AC: 17 | HP: 43/43 | THP: 0/0
    PP: 14 | PIv: 16 | PIs: 16
    Astral Step: 2 /2 LR

Aeon was on Tenzin's crew long before any of the others had joined. He doesn't do much on the ship, but has been valuable at negotiating contracts and diffusing potentially dangerous encounters. He prefers to talk his way out of trouble, but if needed, he carries a sword of starlight and isn't afraid of combat.

He dresses in fine clothes and looks like a noble or wealthy merchant, despite being neither of those. He was a Gith slave when Tenzin found him and saved his life.

He had travelled along ahead the others and, like Emily, was more excited about the festival than riding the lizards. He doesn't enjoy getting dirty and prefers more civilized areas than this sand covered rock. But Tenzin had asked him to secure the lizards, so he did. He was coming out of a building nearby when the ruffians arrived and started shooting arrows at Laughter.

"This won't do"

He blinks out of existence, appearing immediately next to one of the ruffians, his sword hilt erupting into a blade of starlight, which he uses to attack the ruffian before retreating, the light jumping to the next closest ruffian and burning them too.

Show
    Moves forward (blink is just fluff since he only had to move less than 30')
    Use Green flame blade on bandit 1
    Attack: (1d20+7)[26]
    Advantage (1d20+7)[24]
    Radiant Damage: (1d8+5)[12]
    Sneak Attack: (2d6)[8] = 20 damage to #1
    Green Flame Blade = 4 fire damage to adjacent enemy (#2)

https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-09-25 at 10:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Irides
    Shardmind Druid(Land/Stars) 4
    AC 17 | HP 43/43 | THP 0
    PP 16 | PIv 11 | PIs 14
    Conditions -
    Beam Weapon 2/2 pLR
    Wild Shape 2/2 pR
    S1 4/4 S2 3/3 pLR
    Something in the manners of the wall defenders tells Irides that they are not, in fact, on the side of the town folks. As he moves to take cover behind a nearby rock, Irides reaches to a pouch and enchants three cracked grey shards, one of which he then throws at a ruffian.

Show
    BA to cast magic stone on three pebbles.

Action to throw a pebble at Bandit 1:
    • ranged spell attack (1d20+6)[11] vs AC 13.
    • on a hit, (1d6+4)[9] bludgeoning damage.

20 ft. movement to go behind the rock to the south.

Edit: Forgot the advantage. Rolling in OOC thread.

The shard strikes true just as Irides takes cover.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2023-09-24 at 07:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

"No," Laughter replies to the first arrow to strike home. The arrow hits its mark, but leaves nary a scratch. Instead, a nearby bandit suffers the full force of the shot.

"But, unfortunately, that made me angry!" she adds, diving down to pummel someone.

Show
    Cloud Rune says "Nah, that crit? That didn't hit me! It hit you!" Targeting the bandit that shot her with the crit, because screw that guy.
    Once per short rest, though.

Then, punch!
    (1d20+7)[8]
    (1d20+7)[21] Advantage
    (1d8+5)[12] Bludgeoning Damage

Targeting the same bandit if they're up, otherwise number 7.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Naraga
    Tiefling Monk
    Naraga hasn't even let go of his bow when a barrage of arrows suddenly arcs out at the party. Already tensed to leap upwards, he instead throws his energy into a dodge that evades both the arrows aimed at him.

"Alright!" he shouts, pointing with one bow-end at the bandits. "We are now moving aggressively! Wara, destroy them!"

He shoots forward, catching one bandit with a horned headbutt, then continues on, flying towards the place he heard the cries of pain coming from. His tail follows up on the first strike as he goes, lashing the bandit in the face.

Dropping Naraga's quiver on the ground, Wara trumpets his customary battle-cry. Then he sets his tusks into a goring position and charges, transformed into a grey juggernaut of slaughter.

19. - Top - End - #19

Nibbles

Nibbles lets out a reflexive scream after being hit between the scales of his armor. He takes a split second to organize a plan of action. Trip them? Too many, too spread out. Nobody has fire ready. To the immediate needs of the group Laughter is hurt the most so he readies his spear and scurries out in front of bandit 7. The weapon itself starts glowing in faint light and starts attracting nearby ley winds before being thrust up towards the gut of the bandit.

"Fall and be silent," reverberates from Nibbles in a particularly harsh draconic curse.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+7)[19] No advantage since bright light cancels it out.
    Damage - (1d6+5)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Chaos erupts in the village archway!

After the initial hail of arrows, the bandits may have been feeling pretty confident. But, like Tenzin sometimes says, that was then and this is now.

Laughter's magic turns a vicious strike into a vicious attack! The arrow turns and strikes its shooter with the same force. The bandit, shocked, seems barely conscious when Laughter follows up with a powerful haymaker, knocking him to the dirt.

Aeon blinks and reappears right in front of the trio to the west of the arch and strikes one down with a single beautiful swing of his green-flame wreathed blade. The nearby bandit screams in pain as he, too, is burned, but his screaming does not last long, as Irides hits him between the eyes with a magic rock, and he falls.

Naraga knocks another out with two strikes and, as he floes over the combat toward the village, his pet WAR ELEPHANT trumpets a challenge and charges the wall, crashing through it, goring another bandit, knocking him to the ground, and trampling him.

The three remaining bandits (rather reasonably), have had enough, and they drop their bows and flee the area. The run around the wall to the east, where there are several giant lizards tied and waiting.

They call out a retreat, mount, and tear off out of the village.

(Naraga sees a couple more bandits flee from within the village as the retreat is sounded, probably one of those was causing the cries of pain they heard)

In the quiet after the melee, a handful of villagers emerge from their houses. Two or three come over to the party, thanking them for dealing with the ruffians. A few others lurk by the well, wary and suspicious.

A few villagers are moving among the houses, finding and tending to those who were hurt.

One of those is a tall, skeletally thin person in a pretty bright yellow and magenta sundress. But as they walk, it becomes clear they aren't skeletAL, they are, in fact, an actual skeleton.

They are leading the efforts to soothe the wounded, and the villagers approach them with some respect.

There are three wounded villagers who were roughed up by the bandits (two superficially, one rather badly - hence the cries of pain).

Once the situation seems under control, the skeleton walks over to the archway. Up close their dress is clearly clean, well-made, and well-cared for. And there are several hand-made necklaces hanging from the exposed vertebrae of their neck.

"Thank you, travelers," their voice is high, clear, and musical, "I don't where you've come from. There is nothing south for hundreds of leagues, but thank you. You must be parched. Will come you come and have a drink? On the house, of course."

They gesture toward the largest building in the village, which has the name 'Forget-me-Not' over the door, and the entire front wall of which is plastered with pictures, hastily scrawled notes, and various small items of remembrance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Naraga
    Tiefling Monk
    "Ah!" says Naraga, landing in front of the badly wounded villager. "You are the hurt one!"

He extends a hand, palm open.

"I am a healer. Take my hand and be made well."

22. - Top - End - #22

Laughter alights on the ground, her wings folding back against her back. She starts to approach the injured, but Naraga beats her to the punch-for the best, honestly. She's not a healer.

She looks up at the skeleton. "Um, sure. Thank you. I'm Laughter-you?" she asks.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aeon
    Astral Elf Rogue 4

Aeon starts to chase after the fleeing bandits, but once he realizes he is on his own, he lets them escape. He then wanders back to the others and watches while Naraga heals the wounded villager. He is a bit taken back by the sight of the skeleton, but relaxes when it is clear the undead creature means us no harm.

Upon hearing the offer for a drink, Aeon first looks to Tenzin, and when the captain seems interested, Aeon accepts as well.

"A drink would be great. I am Aeon. Will those bandits be back as soon as we leave? Perhaps we should hunt them down."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Hearing no further call for a healer, Irides walks under the arch at a leisurely pace which becomes hurried as falling dust reminds him of the structure's recent encounter with Wara.

Other druids might take offense with the presence of the undead, even druids made of crystal, ooze, metal or other deviations from standard organic life. But the Jaunt had flown not only to many worlds of the Material but also to their echoes in the Feywild and the Shadowfell. This had allowed Irides to meet druids with a different understanding of nature.

"I am Irides, a shardmind druid." he introduces himself. "My friends are taking me on a very long journey to witness many wonders. We have been told of the Night of the Remembered, and are looking forward to it, but I at least did not expect to meet a revered ancestor so soon."

25. - Top - End - #25

Anyone who searches the bodies of the bandits finds that they each have a small pouch with a handful of silver and gold (10 pieces of silver and 5 pieces of gold). And one of them has a rolled up parchment. It's a Wanted poster, with the drawing of a middle-aged female Gnome. PALOMA, says the poster, WANTED FOR THEFT ARSON MURDER 500 GOLD DEAD OR ALIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    "Ah!" says Naraga, landing in front of the badly wounded villager. "You are the hurt one!"

He extends a hand, palm open.

"I am a healer. Take my hand and be made well."
    The villager accepts Naraga's help and thanks the Tiefling. A nearby villager's eyes widen. "A healer? Please will you help us? Many of our family are afflicted with a horrible disease called sereno that causes them to waste away and die in the night."

And, indeed, now that he is among the buildings, Naraga can see villagers huddled up on stoops and verandah's, serape's pulled tight, skin pale and ashen, shivering even though the sun is high and bright.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Laughter alights on the ground, her wings folding back against her back. She starts to approach the injured, but Naraga beats her to the punch-for the best, honestly. She's not a healer.

She looks up at the skeleton. "Um, sure. Thank you. I'm Laughter-you?" she asks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    "I am Irides, a shardmind druid." he introduces himself. "My friends are taking me on a very long journey to witness many wonders. We have been told of the Night of the Remembered, and are looking forward to it, but I at least did not expect to meet a revered ancestor so soon."
    The skeleton somehow smiles (despite the lack of facial expression) at the fairy. "What a wonderful name! Were you given than name at birth? Or did you earn it somehow? I am glad to make your acquaintance, Laughter. My name is Rufina."

Rufina laughs and shakes their head at Irides. "I am no honoured ancestor, but an olvidado, a spirit who did not return to the afterlife after the Festival ended. I don't know why. No one does. But I have found a small, quiet, happy life here in Milzapul."

They frown (again, more in their essence than anything to do with their face). "At least, until recently, when all these troubles have begun. Even my beloved pulquieria has become a permanent reminder of sorrow." They gesture toward the wall of the tavern, which they can now see is covered in posters begging for help, asking for information about missing people, or with remembrances of those who have died.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    COLOR="#0000FF"]"A drink would be great. I am Aeon. Will those bandits be back as soon as we leave? Perhaps we should hunt them down."[/COLOR]
    Rufina leads them toward the tavern. "I fear they will be back. I believe they thought you were in league with Paloma, a wanted criminal with a bounty high enough to attract that sort of vermin."

They think a moment.

"I do not think you will have much luck hunting them down. In San Citlan we have a saying: sand for the desert rats, and desert rats for the sand. It, loses something in translation. But it means they know these lands very well, and will not easily be found."

INSIDE THE TAVERN
    (for when everyone is done outside)

The inside of the Forget-me-Not is cool and dark after the heat and light of the desert sun. The inside walls are painted in massive, brightly-coloured murals depicting armed conflicts that end in celebrations by villagers. Behind the bar is a single large picture of an elderly human human. At the base of the picture is a small cluster of candles with offerings of cactus fruit and drinks.

At a table near the rear corner sit two dwarves, sipping drinks and eying the newcomers with suspicion.

Rufina serves the party pulque, an alcoholic beverage made from fermented agave sap. They also put out several plates of beans and rice and tortillas.

"There are rooms above, if you need," Rufina says, "We've had no proper visitors for some time now. Not since the sereno outbreak."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Naraga
    Tiefling Monk
    Ki: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    The villager accepts Naraga's help and thanks the Tiefling. A nearby villager's eyes widen. "A healer? Please will you help us? Many of our family are afflicted with a horrible disease called sereno that causes them to waste away and die in the night."

And, indeed, now that he is among the buildings, Naraga can see villagers huddled up on stoops and verandah's, serape's pulled tight, skin pale and ashen, shivering even though the sun is high and bright.
    "In the night..." Naraga murmurs thoughtfully. "It is not so simple to banish disease as to close a wound, but let me have a look at your sick."

"Wara!" he calls. "Fetch my quiver, would you?"

He flies over to Rufina and bows.

"Apologies, noble host. I have been asked to lend my healer's eye to the afflicted. In my place, could you water my elephant? See, he is coming now."

Returning to the villager who asked for help, Naraga allows himself to be led to one of the ill villagers.

"Can you tell me how this plague began?" he asks as he inspects his patient.

27. - Top - End - #27

Nibbles

Only now only slightly bleeding (it shouldn't be noticed much), Nibbles follows the group into the bar. He takes a look around and tries to think about other similar cultural practices shown that they've seen or talked about before. The shrine seems to match something he remembers hearing from Emily's home plane. Maybe it wasn't actually as dead in magic if this kind of ritual is used elsewhere.

The curious comment about about this sereno does get his attention at least, enough to not immediately give into the lizard-brain urge to go all-in on the sweetened alcohol. With everything going on he may need to think. It doesn't stop him from finding whatever on serve food-wise is the spiciest and jamming it into a tortilla while commenting, "Tell me about this sereno. Is it linked to the other troubles?"
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aeon Astral Elf Rogue 4

Aeon collects the coins and the poster from the dead bandit, leaving any weapons and armor for the locals to salvage. When he hears of the Sereno, he leaves that to the others and follows Rufina into her tavern, pausing to look at the wall of remembrance with at least some respect. He knows he will be no help in curing an outbreak.

"So many are missing. What do you think is the cause?"

Once inside, Aeon orders a glass of pulque and drinks it slowly. It burns more than he likes, but it is tolerable. After chasing it with a large glass of water, he shows the poster to Rufina.

"This Paloma - are they a real bandit, or someone unjustly accused?"

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-10-01 at 03:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    "Apologies, noble host. I have been asked to lend my healer's eye to the afflicted. In my place, could you water my elephant? See, he is coming now."

Returning to the villager who asked for help, Naraga allows himself to be led to one of the ill villagers.
    "I will stay with Wara, the elephant, while he uses the lizards' abreuvoir." Irides tells Rufina. "I will join you all inside afterward."

"BRRRAOOH!" trumpets Wara and Irides needs no magic to know what this is about.

"No, Wara! Remember that time we found you in a tree, being bothered by crows. Water will suffice."

Once Wara seems properly hydrated and cleaned, Irides joins the others at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Rufina serves the party pulque, an alcoholic beverage made from fermented agave sap. They also put out several plates of beans and rice and tortillas.
    Watching the shardmind eat can be slightly disturbing. The space under his eyes usually shows only the vague idea of a nose and then a flat surface where a mouth should be. As he holds a taco, however, his head fragments and takes on a more insectile appearance, numerous crystalline mandibles acting in concert to attack the food. He otherwise eats silently while his friends ask their questions.

30. - Top - End - #30

"It's my given name, from my youngest days. Thank you, Rufina, for the kind words."

Tavern
    Laughter swigs a long drought of the booze, and sets her glass down. "That's some good stuff... But, what Aeon said. Tenzin's had some bounties on his head, and he's a fine fellow."

Show
    Show

Show