New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Rituals can't be upcast

I am almost positive that I have complained about this before, but why make a point of saying that rituals cannot be upcast if absolutely none of them have a way to upcast? The only reason to spend a spell slot on them is speed.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Rituals can't be upcast

Future proofing? Remnants of a design era when they could be upcast? Bad editing? Could be either of those three with roughly equal probabilities, I'd say. But honestly I don't mind that it's there, it removes doubt from potential homebrewed spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am almost positive that I have complained about this before, but why make a point of saying that rituals cannot be upcast if absolutely none of them have a way to upcast? The only reason to spend a spell slot on them is speed.
    It does interact with dispel magic and counter spell, so if you use a higher level spell slots to cast these they can become harder to dispel or counterspell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

*shifty eyes*

*scoots Animal Messenger under desk with toe*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

(Just to be clear, this is referring to ritual casting being unable to count as higher level spell slots, right? Because as far as I can tell there's nothing preventing the spells themselves from being upcast, you just have to use a spell slot)

IMO, the most likely answer is either untargeted future proofing, a holdover from an earlier version, or specifically meant to prevent all rituals from effectively being cast with a person's highest available spell level (but that would still largely be for future proofing purposes). But as people earlier have said, it has real effects on gameplay. Animal Messenger increases in duration when upcast, and spells cast at a higher level are harder to Counterspell or Dispel.

It also affects creatures like the Rakshasa, which cannot be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower unless it chooses to be (I think Tiamat has this too? Something like it anyhow). Unless you use a high level spell slot, they can walk right through an Alarm, Leomund's Tiny Hut, or Forbiddance without being noticed or stopped by those spells.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2022-06-22 at 12:28 AM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Of course rituals can be upcast. If you want to cast a 5th level Comprehend Languages, you're allowed to. Why would you do that? I dunno, maybe you've used up all of your low-level spell slots but really, really need to read some ancient inscription RIGHT NOW.

No ritual spell happens to have any way in which the spell becomes more powerful when upcast, but so what? Most spells don't have that.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

It is a homebrew "fix" to it, but I wrote a version of phantom steed that has upcast effects.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    No ritual spell happens to have any way in which the spell becomes more powerful when upcast, but so what? Most spells don't have that.
    They do, actually, as Psyren mentioned. Animal Messenger travels further with higher spell slots.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Of course rituals can be upcast. If you want to cast a 5th level Comprehend Languages, you're allowed to. Why would you do that? I dunno, maybe you've used up all of your low-level spell slots but really, really need to read some ancient inscription RIGHT NOW.

If you're casting a spell from a slot, you aren't casting it as a ritual.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

You are correct. Though might be a future design for some spells that may have upcasting effects but may also be allowed to be casted as a ritual. However I am not presently aware if any spells as of now are like this. Perhaps also it is a design aspect in the case a DM allows a spell as a ritual that normally isn't. But currently it seems redundant.
    Last edited by GentlemanVoodoo; 2022-06-22 at 11:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

It makes sense in and of itself, for the reason the rules explicitly state:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB, p. 201-2
    [Ritual casting] also doesn't expend a spell slot, which means the ritual version of a spell can't be cast at a higher level.
    What would "upcasting" even signify when a spell slot isn't involved? The spell slot of a ritual is null. You can't "increase" it, because it's not a number in the first place. If there were somehow an ability that let you "downcast" a spell into a lower spell slot (which would be a hell of an ability...), you presumably wouldn't be able to downcast a ritual either.

The hole you could poke in this logic is that it would also suggest treating rituals as "0th level spells" in the situations when a number does have to be assigned... which would mean any ritual would be automatically dispellable by anyone capable of casting dispel magic at all. But I get why they would prefer the less consistent logic to the less desirable conclusion.
    Last edited by meandean; 2022-06-22 at 07:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Another point to remember is that having this simple statement, this restriction in place, goes a long way to prevent ridiculous arguments on the matter. Far too many people tend to play by, “Well, it doesn’t say I can’t!”
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

*Cringes in Warlock*
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Honestly, I always thought it was just so there would be an answer if anyone asked what level it was cast at (since you know someone would ask).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I can think of one practical consequence.

Dispel magic- If you dispel magic on a permanent/ongoing effect against a spell of spell slot 4th or higher you must roll the dice.

If I can just upcast my ritual to 9th or whatever then I am getting free protection from dispel magic.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal