New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default 3rd-level spells from past editions updated to 5e (PEACH)

Continuing this series of spells from past editions updated to 5e, here are the 3rd-level spells. Looking forward to the comments on these 17 spells, any feedback is most welcome.

gmbinder link : https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-N6ACpUt5P7H2-QRqFkW

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3rd-level spells from past editions updated to 5e (PEACH)

The language for Touch of Idiocy should probably be "On a success, the target takes half as much damage and suffers no other effects."

Skull trap seems interesting, although I would round the range you can hear it to 600 feet (5e doesn't really mess with 1/4 miles) and list a cp or sp cost for the skull (so you can't use a focus instead). Also there's a typo listing it as a 2nd level spell.

Magic Vestment grants either a +2 or +3 or +3 bonus to AC, depending on slot level used. It also overlaps enough with the Enhanced Defense infusion that I'm not sure its a good idea to have as a spell effect.

Phantom Battle and Ice Lance in particular are pretty neat, although personally I'd bump Phantom Battle and Sepia Snake Sigil up to 4th level.

Some of the other spells don't really fit 5e design philosophy, but their effect are awkward enough I'm not sure there's a way to make them fit and I'm sure you heard this enough for the lover lever spell lists already posted and discussed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: 3rd-level spells from past editions updated to 5e (PEACH)

Thank you for your feedback!

Touch of idiocy should actually read : With a touch, you reduce the target's mental faculties. Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 psychic damage and has disadvantage on all ability checks, attack rolls and saving throws using its Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma scores for the duration. The target makes a Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the spell ends.

Skull trap Thanks for pointing out the typo. The quarter mile thing is essentially due to a copy-paste error. For the skull, I think that saying something along the line of "You touch the complete skull of an humanoid that is used as a material components for this spells" makes it clear that you need to have an actual skull that can't be replaced by a spell focus.

Magic Vestment : I'm pretty sure that any infusion makes an item magical so an armor / shield with enhanced defence wouldn't be a valid target for magic vestment.