New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Need 2 more legacy weapons/items

So Weapons of Legacy has 48 items in it, most of them weapons. My irrational preference for round numbers demands 2 more. Book of Nine Swords introduces 8 new ones and retcons Desert Wind to be linked to the martial discipline of the same name, but i think I'll just turn Desert Wind's slot into a "1 of the 9 sword" slot, as there are already enough swords among the list already/ Expedition to Castle Ravenloft introduces 2 new ones, good number, but both are undead, kinda build of the setting lore that won't apply as well outside the module, and one of them is a sword, so I think I'll leave them there.

So what 2 items of legacy would you add to the base 48 to make it a round 50?
    Last edited by Boci; 2022-07-05 at 07:05 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need 2 more legacy weapons/items

I think it would be pretty funny to have a siege weapon of legacy. "This great catapult was my father's and his father's before him. I now pass it down to you, that you may appoint a crew of unnamed soldiers to aim it at the walls of your enemies fortresses, as did your ancestors before you."

Some kind of legacy spellbook could be interesting. Maybe patterned off Tom Riddle's diary, or the Akura advancement books from Cradle.

Maybe a legacy lance? I'm not sure if there's something in the book that's specifically for mounted types, though there are certainly a number of spear-ish weapons.

I don't think there's a legacy spiked chain, and the spiked chain has a special place in my heart as a weapon that is both a) reasonably unique and b) something people have a mechanical reason to use. Maybe something based on chain devils?

Though honestly, weapons of legacy are really something that should be created ad hoc based on the campaign, or at least the setting. Unlocking the legacy powers of your ancestor's might axe is cooler than writing a backstory where your ancestor had a really might quarterstaff because that happens to be the weapon of legacy that gives the bonuses you want for your build.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    So Weapons of Legacy has 48 items in it, most of them weapons. My irrational preference for round numbers demands 2 more. Book of Nine Swords introduces 8 new ones and retcons Desert Wind to be linked to the martial discipline of the same name, but i think I'll just turn Desert Wind's slot into a "1 of the 9 sword" slot, as there are already enough swords among the list already/ Expedition to Castle Ravenloft introduces 2 new ones, good number, but both are undead, kinda build of the setting lore that won't apply as well outside the module, and one of them is a sword, so I think I'll leave them there.

So what 2 items of legacy would you add to the base 48 to make it a round 50?
    Minds Eye had 2 Weapons of Legacy on their website. Same source item but it was different depending on caster vs semi melee gish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151102.../psm/20050830a

https://web.archive.org/web/20161031.../psm/20050930a

One cool thing the caster version of Arik's Vengeance -- Staff gives is it gives something like a Psicrystal with a personality (thus something like an initiative bonus or a fort save boost), yet it is not a full Psicrystal if you are afraid of your Psicrystal dying.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

White Plume Mountain has 3 weapons of legacy, and the supplement Outside White Plume Mountain has another.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

We've done this before, and I have the link!

But here's the summary:

Legacy Items outside Weapons of Legacy:
    Expedition to Castle Ravenloft:
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: held object; good aligned clerics and paladins
    Sunsword: Bastard Sword; good aligned character

Dragon Magic:
    Wyrmbane Helm: crown; arcane caster, martial weapons, speak draconic

White Plume Mountain:
    Blackrazor: greatsword; (no prerequisites)
    Wave: trident; any neutral alignment
    Whelm: Warhammer; Dwarf, warhammer proficiency

White Plume Mountain web enhancement:
    Frostrazor: great-sword; Improved Critical: Greatsword

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits:
    Spidersilk: Mithril shirt; arcane caster
    Thaas: composite longbow; Weapon Focus Longbow, non chaotic, non evil

Expedition to Undermountain:
    Adamant Crown: crown; Dwarf, access to divination spells

The Forge of War:
    Hillcrusher: heavy flail; con13, medium or smaller
    Ramethene Sword: bastard sword; spellcraft 2 ranks, EWP: bastard sword
    Sylmsarra's Shawl: cloak; will save +5; bluff, diplomacy and sleight of hand 4 ranks each

Barrow of the Forgotten King
    Merthuvial: a sword; cannot be CN or any evil; 2 ranks Diplomacy, BAB+3

The Sinister Spire
    Banrhialorg: quarterstaff/lesser metamagic rod of extend spell; able to cast arcane spells, 5 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), have a metamagic feat

Fortress of the Yuan-Ti
    The Aegis Inviolable: heavy shield; shield prof, BAB+3, 2 ranks of Knowledge (nobility and royalty) or Knowledge (religion)
    Nanietharil: scale armor; medium armor prof, 4 ranks in two of Knowledge (nature), Hide, and/or Survival; must have elvish or orc blood to use the 11th and higher abilities.

Mind's Eye (WotC Web Article Series)
    Arik's Vengeance: heavy mace (psychic warrior)/staff (psion OR wilder); manifest 2nd-level powers, BAB +3 (psychic warrior) OR manifest 2nd-level powers, BAB +2 (psion OR wilder)
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/