New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: ANY 4e Campaign IC

Move: Shift to 017-005
    Standard: (1d20+8)[26] vs AC of Striking Soul.
    (1d10+4)[7] damage on a hit

Free action: Mark adjacent enemies (blinking light 4 and Striking Soul)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm just going to say Maria finishes off the last light with another Magic Missile

Highstriker's blade finishes off the Striking Soul. Like the other undead that was able to hold together a visible form, the outline left behind crumples on the floor before finally returning to death. In the fading light, Highstriker is able to make out a chain necklace bearing a small locket fall from the outline of the spirit's form.

A final Magic Missile from Maria finishes off the last blinking light. The outline of a young girl, her face wet with tears appears in the moments as the creature fades away.

The hostile undead dealt with, the party has time to attempt to reach the top of the tower in the last fading of the light. If they can find them in time, they'll be able to check for signs of nearby activity before the night allows the grass to spring back up and the dew to cover the bandit's tracks.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maria is relieved the fight is over. But she is just going through the motions. Keeping as close to the middle of the party as possible she just follows along silently, her wand ready for anymore trouble.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Alright, eryone alright? Yeah, we're...hrk...we're alright." Aahz grunts, looking a bit battered, and surveying the fact that Dwilla and Highstriker look even worse but Maria at least looks fine.

"I could use me a drink, and a meal, and a long nap...and ya'll probably can too. But we got a few more minutes of dusk-light here - let's see if we can grab any intel an' loot before we get a fire up and share a meal. Ideally, not in this haunted and blasted tower. I wonder...those spooks were right on top of us, but the main trail looked cold to me. Wonder if someone like tha bandits have bargained with them to go after anyone on the trail? Or tricked 'em? Distracted 'em somehow?

Skill Challenge Check: Bluff (a bit of a stretch, but you did say "any skill the bandits could have used..."): (1d20+10)[18].

Whether that's appropriate or not, Aahz will also start looking for ways to climb the tower faster so that him and Highstriker can get up there and drop a line to the others to get a better lay of the land.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Dwilla hauls herself up the tower, moving quickly and clearing the path for the others. "Daylight's fading-let's get a move on."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

On the way to the tower, Highstriker will look around the grass and dirt for any tracks or clues left behind in the natural surroundings. Upon finding something suspicious, she will call out to the group, ”Oi! Here’s something!”

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    See Dice Roll thread for an 18 on my nature check.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Aahz is able to tell from the growth around the hill, the dust under the door to the tower, and the fact the undead didn't stop to really see who was here to attack that no one has been using the tower at all. The fact the tower was dangerous to approach is likely also why the bandits were reported to be surprised when they saw the coach carrying the magic items in the first place.

Dwilla manages to find some old broken timber on the side of the tower and breaks them into steps, allowing the party to get up the tower without needing to get the door all the way open or check the stability of anything inside. Once up on the tower, Highstriker there's enough light for Highstiriker to see the hills are mostly open, but there's a line of trees between two of the hills in sight. There's likely a stream there, which would make a good place to connect to the river and get around unseen.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-09-10 at 03:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker will focus on the river path to determine if there might be any groups setting up to camp nearby. She’ll try to survey the surrounding area as well.
    (1d20+7)[24] Perception check

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The other side of the hill is steeper than the one the party went up, and from the tower Highstriker can make out the remains of a stone footpath winding down to the base of the hill. There also appears to be the bases of three buildings at where the footpath ends; they're likely good places to spend the night. Most of the area was used as sheep pasture, and from the tower she can make out the remains of some deer walls once used to control the sheep without messing up the view. Most can be seen because the ditch is on the same side as the tower, but there's one that's in silhouette; the shadow cast by the setting sun extends well into view when it would otherwise be visible. This one extends from the tower in a southwesterly direction, toward the forested area Highstriker saw before.

In the woodland there appears to be neither any visible signs of habitation nor any sigh of tributary streams. The party can likely walk along the stream bed without missing anything, but there isn't anything she can make out warning of any inhabitants to the area. That's not necessarily surprising: if the bandits want to avoid being seen they'd know to which wood produces the least smoke and make sure to keep any construction hidden in foliage.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-09-11 at 02:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

"I feel like the tower is a good spot to camp out the night," Dwilla says.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #131

Maria is too tired to argue and really has no reason to. She is just happy to be alive.

"Well I am fine with the Tower and if anything we can see trouble coming from here."

Maria will take first watch.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

The tower is stuffy and dank, but there's just enough room on the two floors for everyone to sleep. The night passes uneventfully and everyone completes an extended rest.

The next morning is overcast, but with a refreshing breeze. The party has the opportunity to eat and take stock of their items. The deer wall Highstiker noticed by its shadow the previous night is now impossible to distinguish from the tower. The forest is still visible from the tower's top and still appears to be a straight run along one stream.

The party has time to check out the houses at the bottom of the hill, or head out to some other location they'd like to check out. Heading back to Highmoon is also an option. Its about a four minute walk from the tower to the houses, so some party members can check it out while others are getting ready.

13. - Top - End - #133

"They might've stashed some loot in the homes," Dwilla says. "I'd say that's the first place we should look."

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #134

DwarfClericGuy

"Loot is my language, Talented Dwilla - so yeah, les' check it out. 'Sides, if Highstriker's right - an' I think she is, since she seems to know her stuff or at least see further than all of us - I reckon we can follow the river to find the bandits well enough. I'm good to go back to town with real results if ya'll are. Let's get armored up and go together. Standard plan - me an' Highstriker up front, Dwilla and Maria behind.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

The houses were burned out long enough ago that the only obvious thing left is the stone foundations. It might be worth searching the stones for a moment, if anyone is so inclined.

Once the party is all ready and gets underway, they manage to locate the deer wall Highstriker saw the previous night. Highstriker notices it one step before toppling into the attached ditch and has to warn Aahz before he falls off of it himself. The wall is much shorter than its shadow was in the sunset, only about four feet high. Its also in an odd spot. Is leads off toward the forest though, and the party is able to follow it to the forested area.

Once there is the question of whether to try heading north towards the main river (and closer to the mire) or south away from it (and closer to the hills) The party can see the streambed from the edge of the trees; it has cut a channel about 10 feet wide and the water at the bottom weaves between sandy banks along the sides. The deer wall was built into a natural cliff face in the forest, with a waterfall cascading down a natural cliff face about 15 feet into a circular pond about 20 feet wide. The forest extends about 30 feet to each side of the channel and is mostly rough terrain. The deer wall is short enough to let you boost up to the top of the cliff and look down from the waterfall.

There's no visible crossing point where you've arrived and no sign of any tributaries. You can choose to follow at the edge of the channel, at the edge of the trees, or to try to keep to a medium point between the two.

Show
    A dungeoneering check to search the houses' foundations.

North and South take you in two different directions. The further you walk from the forest's edge the harder you are to see from that side of he forest; the closer you walk to the stream the easier you are to see both from the stream's edge and the from the opposite side of the river. The same goes in reverse; its easier to see things in the stream and on its other side from the edge of the channel.

16. - Top - End - #136

Maria decides to search the stones for anything. Who knows she might hit the jackpot.

Dungeoneering Check: (1d20+1)[9]

She just follows the party staying in the middle. Good thing to otherwise she might have fell off the cliff. Relieved that Aazh was stopped in time she looks around. The girl is assessing which would be the best path to take to search for the bandits based on what she has known and heard already.

Nature Check: (1d20+1)[19]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Maria doesn't find anything near the stones, but she does locate a deer path running in the forest. It appears next to the wall, runs up about 10 feet from the channel and then heads on downstream. There doesn't appear to be a similar path upstream on this side of the water.

Perhaps the party can follow it to make faster time if they choose the head that way.

18. - Top - End - #138

"Guys look over there. Is that not a deer path? Maybe we can follow it and make good time travelling?", Maria states pointing at her new discovery. But she stays with the party knowing that she needs their protection.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

After some quiet deliberation, that party heads upstream, toward the hills and away from the river. The streambed above the waterfall twists and turns as they make their way through the trees. After about 10 minutes, the party can hear something else lumbering through the forest above the soft trickle of water.

Show
    I've added a new map. Please place PCs on the map within the purple box as you like.

Squares marked with a single tree are rough terrain, as are the water and brown mud. Squares marked with two trees are impassible. The thick brown line of the map is a 5 foot drop. The drop itself requires 5 extra feet of movement to make, and if you land in water you must make a DC 10 Athletics check to keep your footing. Climbing out Requires an additional DC 10 Athletics check; on a failure you slip, destabilize the ground, or fall for some other reason and must end your move in the square you tried to climb up from. Climb/landing in water checks can be made in the rolling thread and attacks made here, if it makes it easer to track who you can target.

Surprise will be decided based on Nature, Perception, Stealth, or whichever check you have any ideas for. Whether or not anyone rolls is my test to see if anyone else is still here.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-09-24 at 02:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Dwilla calls out, a simple "Hello, stranger! Are you safe?"

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

"What?" There's a shout of surprise and a crash, followed by the sound of something moving much faster through the trees. On the other side of the channel, a bull crashes into view, stopping at the channel's edge. It eyes the party warily, snorting a warning.

A human man follows the bull out of the trees, and waves to the party. "Hello there! We're just trying to wrangle Lyne here to another pasture and we're having some trouble." A few more people show up behind him, looking a bit grim. The man who spoke looks back and continues, "Are you lost? No one's been on the pastures beyond in years."

22. - Top - End - #142

Maria decides to let the others speak. She is constantly more on alert and a little frazzled after the rather sudden encounter with the bull. If the man had not arrived she might have magic missled it. She does watch the man more closely though looking for anything suspicious about him.

Insight Check: (1d20+8)[12]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Maria can tell that the man appears to be dressed more for warmth than working the fields; he's got on a large, dark cloak. The other people with him are dressed similarly, even though it hasn't been particularly cold recently. None of them look particularly comfortable trying to work with the bull.

The animal itself is large but not especially bad tempered. It takes a few steps back and forth along the chasm at the party responds, clearly trying a spot a way across.

24. - Top - End - #144

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz sizes up the situation, shaking off the cobwebs brought on from roughing it - he's not used to camping out and has quietly been grumbling. But strange, cloaked men that may be their Quarry or some new marks get him grinning again.

"Aye friends, we're a survey team on retainer by a local family. Looking for possible new trade or huntin' trails. We could ask the same thing of ya'll, yeah? You need a hand with that beasty?

Aahz tries to wrack his brain for the likelihood these are legitimate folks by thinking about the history of the area...

History: (1d20+8)[13]:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's an old trade route that used to go through here, but I don't think anyone's used it in years." The leader of the group then looks back at the bull. "I think we've got a handle on him as long as there's no one else surprises us. We'll get out of your way then." On some unseen signal, some of the men start surrounding the bull with ropes, and start guiding it away from the party and the channel.

The party has the option of trying to talk with them more, or heading further along the stream. If you want to try walking with the group you'll need to cross the river though.

26. - Top - End - #146

Maria is immediately suspicious of the bull herders. She whispers to Aahz, "I don't trust them, they seem to warmly dressed for field workers and are uncomfortable around the bull."

27. - Top - End - #147

DwarfClericGuy

"Yeah kid, these folks gotta know more than they're lettin' on...lets follow 'em"

Aahz will try to make his way over the water, shouting to them "Eh friends! We've actually been walkin' for days and my legs are killin' me. Lessay we stay with ya and get a warm meal? 5 gold pieces for it."

Athletics, if needed: (1d20+7)[9]

28. - Top - End - #148

Dwilla follows behind, ready to help if Aahz stumbles and needs it.

Show
    (1d20+10)[25]

Athletics to help, if need be. Don't curse ME, dice! :P

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

With Dwilla helping him up, Aahz is able to make it back up the other side of the channel. "Five gold you say? Sure, come along."

As the party walks along, the men they're with really don't seem comfortable getting the bull to move. There's a lot of starts and stops, and the bull regularly manages to go crashing into the woodland or to graze on some grass instead of moving.

"So, who you surveying for? It'd be nice if someone started raising sheep on those hills again; I'd certainly be able to make a better living."

30. - Top - End - #150

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz brushes himself off, initially bristling that he's fine, that was deliberate before leaning in to thank Dwilla. "Ooh, ya' know, couple different folks - we're gonna sell our survey to a few different families, start a bit of a biddin' fight. But it's the Wizard's Chest Trading Company fundin' us, if that's the question, and they wanted that...whaddya call it? Oh yeah, "right of first refusal". And I'm reckonin they aren't much into sheep farmin - you familiar at all with their business?" Aahz flashes his wide toothy grin and watches their reaction closely.

Show
    : I don't really know what roll is appropriate here, if any? Rolling Bluff since what I said is only 50% true (that it's Aahz's best skill is only a bonus). Diplomacy or Intimidate would be -2 lower; Insight is a crippling -11 worse.

(1d20+10)[28]