New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default The Colors Mason, What Do They Mean?!

Seriously. what do all these colored words mean? I'm seeing something about a grading system but i can't find a guide anywhere

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Colors Mason, What Do They Mean?!

for optimization guides?

They mean some options are better than others, generally. Problem is from what I've seen, the colors often aren't entirely consistent, while a rough general scale of "bad" to "vital" is acknowledged, the actual colors used and how many grades often differ between person to person. in a sense an optimization guide has a layer of subjectivity to it depending on what the writer themselves considers good and how to evaluate it based on their own experiences.

the upshot is that each optimization guide details how its own grading system for options works at the beginning, having nothing to do with the grading system other guides use. it would be impossible to get the community to agree a consistent grading system for options anyways, because first you'd have to figure out how to make the community agree on anything when it comes to this.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aside from colors used for grading systems in optimization guides (see Lord Raziere's reply), you might see blue text used to denote sarcasm on this forum. Well, I say "sarcasm" but I mean that term loosely. It is also used as friendly joking rather than true sarcasm. For example:

Of course everyone should automatically know what the colors mean. When I am joking around and agreeing that it is a good question.

There are a few other colors that did not catch on as much.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-09-01 at 08:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Text in bright red generally indicates that a mod is speaking with modly authority rather than as a member of the forum. It'll be pretty obvious aside from that, though - they tend to label posts with [MOD].

I have seen people use dark purple "for the evulz". Sometimes bolded to distinguish it from the black default text more easily.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!