New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers part 2: road to couronne

the party in the rat-tunnels: "we dont need to stop you, only delay you" the lead rat hisses "as of now, your dearest halfling is being tested upon, so it's your move" the rat grins, showing rotted teeth

jasmine: you get an arm free. the skaven haven't noticed yet, but any time you delay, it's likely they will. What's the plan? you dont have your kit, as the skaven have been thorough to take your weapons and other kit

wighard: you get a vision and an offer of prophecy from the raven god in exchange for one of your eyes. do you accept it?

bruno: the peasants are glad to be alive. the two mercs, whose names are diaz and markofsen, greet bruno warmly and ask you to join them for a drink

wdyd?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With one arm free, Jasmine quickly pulls the needle out of her other arm and then tries to jab it in the back of the Skaven 'doctor' while he's distracted and looking away at the commotion outside the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[17] v. 36 WS + 10 (aim) + 30 (unaware) remove any of these bonuses as appropriate. FP this one if needed (1d100)[40]

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Gimgroth Init 13 19/19 1/2

Gimgroth gives a low growl, the sort you might expect to hear from a cat the size of a dragon.

Rage and Fury work on greenskins; but Skaven are too cunning and he has seen too many would be would-be Shieldbreakers charge rashly into a trap.

He marks out the distance between him and the Skaven, thinking how many steps he will need to take to be on them and slowly and deliberately shuffles forward keeping a good footing and wary of any traps between him and them

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d10)[4]+3 Init

(1d100)[19] Perception 48
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-11-22 at 06:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, I understand," Bruno said to Wighard. He would search for the product and put one drop in each eye as per the doctor's instructions and put the bandage on. Then he washed his hands and went back to the common room. There he first told the pilgrims about the day of rest and then he went to sit with the mercenaries. He asked them about the prevalence of skaven in the pass and then about the scream, asking their opinion about what it could have been.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Looking past the skaven's smug face, Glod saw a faint trickle of dust from the tunnel ceiling above. Unlikely to be noticed by one who had not grown up underground, but he knew instinctively that something large was heading their way. And knowing skaven, that could only mean one thing.

"Krut," he cursed, raising his shield. "Rat ogre!"
    Last edited by Morovir; 2022-11-21 at 05:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

jasmine: the skaven doctor yelps, then begins to mutate into something large and uncontrolled. the skavenslaves as one rabbit out the tunnel like the hordes of hell are at their heels. might i suggest you unstrap yourself and follow their lead?

the party in the rat-tunnels: you hear a loud roar, followed by some sounds in queekish. you cannot tell where it is coming from, but the lead rat grins, like he's enjoying himself

bruno: the mercs are of the opinion that it was a skaven trick, but what is your opinion?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

“Hell! Get them now; before they are bolstered!”

Bertelis lurches forward and makes one wild stab with his dagger. The blow extinguished is candle in the motion - but it’s the chance he has to do some damage, before he is plunged into the dark again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge! (1d100)[31] vs 76 on the charge, for (1d10)[3] + 2 damage on hit.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine is not surprised by the speed of the transformation, having no basis with which to compare it to, but she does feel that she has dodged a bullet, despite that being considered impossible. Even as this races through her mind, she quickly wriggles out of the remaining straps and follows the skavenslaves out the lab...

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible she's going to charge and elbow-check one of the skavenslaves so it falls down, after all, you don't need to be the fastest, just as long as you're not the slowest... WS test (1d100)[55] v. 46

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard collapses into the bed, his body fatigued and his mind racing.

++++++++++

He returns to the body pit at Westvein. Stinking bloated faces look up at him.

They are all safe

A dark figure stands beside him

Inside the garden? Wighard continues to look at the pit

Yes, no one can harm them now

There is a long silence

You agreed with Bertelis and Gimgroth to keep Siobhan in ignorance of The Lady's revelation of her importance "because that sort of knowledge is not a gift".

You also told her:

"Knowing the truth, or even a truth, about yourself is a heavy burden"

Wighard says nothing

Still of that opinion?

There is some knowledge you may not want; some truths you might be better off without.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands like her across the Empire whose circumstances are such that they never discover their magical talent.

They live in ignorance, and if that is not bliss they at least have the potential to lead a normal mundane live

One of the corpses morphs into the bloody and beaten face of Isven

And if you had not fought Isven? Would you have lived a sedentary life and be happy?

If you had not met Master Maher and remained a healer? Without any of the stress and responsibility of being a Wizard?

If I had not fought Isven I would have to live with the knowledge that I could have tried to stop him and done nothing - I do not regret it

He kicks dirt into the pit, covering the face

As for Master Maher - I can do more good as I am. I do not regret it.

Another figure comes into view on the other side of the pit, it is a slightly older Wighard with an eyepatch and Kwolf perched on his shoulder

You have the responsibility to dispense truth; that gift is yours if you wish it.

Wighard shakes his head

Again, I can do more good as I am. Maybe in a decade or three

As you wish

The figure and elder Wighard disperse and he feels a new presence, the Skaven leader he killed

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Why have you imprisoned me here Manthing?

Not my intention, I merely wished to scare you all off or at most kill you

Funny Funny you are. Weak too. The strong should not apologise to the defeated

If I am weak then what are you?

I annihilated you and your followers will forget your name as soon as they have blamed you for their rout to their superiors

My name is Xueek Grimfinger

I may bother to remember that, I may not. Understand? For the moment be grateful that you still have some existence and may yet be able to pass through Morr's gates to find eternal rest

Now, tell me of yourself and tell me of your people

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm not sure," Bruno said as he called for another round of drinks, "it sounded quite real, but I don't know the skaven as you do. We don't have them running around in the Empire as open as they seem to do here. I'm sure there are some, you find rats everywhere, but they keep a lower profile as far as I know. Maybe we can take the horses and have a look tomorrow, when it's light. It's not that far from the inn, so with horses we should be able to get there and back again quickly. If only to give a good account of what happened at the next castle."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

bertelis: the skaven takes a minor scratch, but brings his shortspear towards bertelis' gut

(1d100)[100]

(1d10+3)[4]

glod and gimgroth: the three remaining skaven square off with the dwarves, taking the time to form a half-circle, spears and shields forming a murderous defensive wall

jasmine: the skaven blocks the trip attack and runs like the hordes of hell are after him, which they are. the ratstrosity turns laboriously, spots you and gives pursuit on all fours.

wighard: you gain common knowledge (skaven) from the xueek's unhappy tutelage. also, kwolf reports that sergeant nepveau and his men are reaching the place where bertelis and company entered

bruno: "your prolly right" the mercs say

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Throwing himself into combat, Glod hurled himself at the nearest clanrat.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Initiative: (1d10+3)[5]
    Charge (Full Action): (1d100)[41] TN 76
    Damage: (1d10+6)[15]
    Impact: (1d10+6)[14]

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth laughs at the thought of three Skaven challenging two dwarven veterans of the axe and hammer. His confidence is soon rewarded when Glod's axe carves a Skaven in half. Time to get to work eh? Time to die! Gimgroth becomes an instrument of death as he sets about with his rune carved hammer. Sweeping the skaven's left leg he brings the creature to the ground before crushing it's shield arm to pulp.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Full Action - Swift Attacks
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[59] for Damage - (1d10+6)[9]
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[79] for Damage - (1d10+6)[13]
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[73] for Damage - (1d10+6)[12]

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine tries to bring the fleeing rat down, but it evades and keeps running. Jasmine keeps following after the fleeing rats, trying to stay ahead of the chasing monster.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno asks the innkeeper about guards during the night, as he'd rather not be surprised by any rats in his room if he can help it. He's quite sure the innkeeper already knows about the attack further in the pass from the pilgrims and/or the mercenaries. And before going to bed, he will check up on Wighard and Siobhan to make sure they were doing okay.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth: as you cut down the clanrat, you hear stomping emanating from behind the clanrats

glod: the skaven parries your attack narrowly, and reciprocates with a stab

(1d100)[13]

(1d10+4)[5]

jasmine. you see the skavenslaves disappear around a bend in the tunnel. the ratstrosity is hard on your heels and you can feel its hot breath on your neck.

bruno: the innkeep has several burly lads for 5 gc a night that he's willing to station outside your door

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

For Glod and Gimgroth, the brawl is a glorious reiteration of dwarven power in the deep places; a song of hammer and axe and bone that reduces two of the clanrats to pulp and leaves them crowding on one.

For Bertelis, it's a nervewracking blindfight; man against shadow as he squints against his barely visible opponent and hides behind his shield. It takes much of his will not to shout in frustration or self-encouragement, trying to track the rat's shuffles and snivelling with his ears; but he manages to catch the speartip hard on his shield to the point where the weapon sticks. Exhilarated by the possibility of having his enemy where he needs him, he lashes wildly with his dagger trying to make the moment count.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    The skaven's handweapon lodging in the shield is just my spin on what his 100 to hit meant. Do with it what you will, Bramble!

Swift attack!

Vs61 - (1d100)[73], for (1d10+2)[8] damage. (-20 to hit because of darkness. Big miss.)

And again Vs61 - (1d100)[36], for (1d10+2)[3] damage. (-20 to hit because of darkness. Hit, very little damage, but might still cost him a defence.)

Rat defences apply as normal, unless his 100 to hit early stuff him.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-23 at 03:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    And before going to bed, he will check up on Wighard and Siobhan to make sure they were doing okay.
    Wighard is out cold but giving the occasional twitch that indicates he is dreaming.

Siobhan is pale but otherwise ok and sleeping soundly

Deanna is sitting up for the moment and keeping an eye on them, I was told you were born a peasant and became a noble. How does that work?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

berty: the clanrat goes for your wrist, it's free paw scrabbling for the dagger in your grip.

(1d100)[18] success

if successful, the clanrat will attempt to disarm you
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-11-24 at 10:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With the thing bearing down on her, Jasmine tries her best to speed up and keeps running for safety; or at least somewhere that isn't here. The skavenslaves probably have some bolt-hole they're heading for, so she follows them.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Glod help the blind metal-man. I've got this one. Gimgroth grunts as he unleashes decades of grudges against the Skaven on a single clanrat. Gimgroth's blows caught the clanrat in chest caving in his left lung. The next blow cracked the things left femur and the final blow flattened the ribcage of the poor beast. Took out these weakling just in time. Something bigger is coming! Gimgroth steadied himself to meet the challenge of whatever was responsible for those echoing stomps he heard.
    Show

Full Action = Swift Attacks
    WSvs87 - (1d100)[87] for Damage - (1d10+6)[13]
    WSvs87 - (1d100)[39] for Damage - (1d10+6)[14]
    WSvs87 - (1d100)[65] for Damage - (1d10+6)[15]
    ParryVs82 - (1d100)[73] against first successful attack.
    Dodgevs52 - (1d100)[7] against second successful attack.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Deanna is sitting up for the moment and keeping an eye on them, I was told you were born a peasant and became a noble. How does that work?
    "I was adopted in the family because of services rendered," Bruno said softly, not wanting to wake the others, "and that made me the heir when my adopted father died. But the title isn't all that impressive I must confess. It's one of the lowest in the empire actually. Don't you have something like that in Bretonnia? If for instance a soldier does something very heroic on the battlefield, can't the king give him a title? Or your ... Lady of the Lake, wasn't it?"

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Only a few peasants have ever been so blessed.

Though the Lady or the King can elevate whoever they want - but they do not.

But to be a noble you must be descended from the nobility for 5 generations on both sides.

So the children of such former-peasants will be born peasants and the line will die out.

She talks softly

If nobles wish to adopt, they adopt from another noble family.

That might be almost as rare.

It disrupts the plans of their other relatives who would otherwise inherit.

The epic of Ymbert de Bar tells the story of a younger son adopted into another family, and the attempts of his relatives to do away with him, and after shifts in alliances he must defend his new family against his birth brothers.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth: you drop the clanrat with a crunch of ribs. he goes down, howling in queekish

bertelis: the skaven will take a disengage action and flee for his life

all of you see a rat-ogre stomping down the corridor. you hear the crack of the whip from behind the rat-ogre, and a barked order in queekish. the rat-ogre growls, and charges bertelis

(1d100)[92] miss

(1d10+6)[10]
    (1d10+6)[16]

fyi: parries against the rat-ogre take a -30
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-11-26 at 03:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis wrestles with his enemy, only to have the dagger wrenched from his hands - and for a terrible moment he fears he will be killed by his own blade in the dark. But then a dwarven shape is there, it's axe glimmering with runes as they carve through the last clanrat, sending the dagger clattering to the ground.

"Many thanks, Master Smith. Do you see where my steel went?"

Then came the bestial roar, and the earth shaking thump of steps. Glod's response, naturally, was not about the dropped dagger.

"Down!"

Bertelis ducks low, instinctively; but it's not a new blade that whistles over his head, but the battering ram force of a rat ogre's fist. He staggers back, battered by its matted furry chest as the titanic, slavering beast comes at him in the gloom.

Oh Lady, to fight such a thing on the surface; with the sun on my back, and a lance in my hand, and a horse beneath me; oh, I would give you such valor there. Oh, I would be the knight you desire me to be, at such a time - and not such a blinded, frightened wretch as this!

He is at the mercy of his friends, now. He cannot see the slave driver beyond; he can barely make out the monster before him. All the currency he has is blood and bone; and he wrestles desperately with his straining heart to prepare to offer them up. He fumbles for the mace at his hip, plucks it free from its hook, and swings at the dark.

Spoiler: Bertelis Swings in the dark, Round 3:
    Show
    Vs41 - (1d100)[3] for (1d10+5)[10]. Including -20 for darkness.

Glod, commited now to this dive into the dark and well into the forge rhythm of his blows, bellows back at the rat-ogre, and strikes!

Spoiler: Kneel before Glod! Round 3:
    Show
    Vs71 - (1d100)[2] for (1d10+5)[14] or (1d10+5)[15]. (Including +5 from masterwork, +10 from outnumbering 2:1).

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

the rat-ogre roars in annoyance and will attempt to swat both glod and bertelis into the walls like flies

(2d100)[83][24](107)

(1d10+6)[10]
    (1d10+6)[10]

(1d10+6)[16]
    (1d10+6)[11]

jasmine: you come to a crossroads in the tunnels: one leads up, the other three have no changes that you can reckon

what'll it be?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Without even thinking about it, Jasmine instinctively heads towards the tunnel leading up towards fresh air, freedom, and the open skies.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post

The epic of Ymbert de Bar tells the story of a younger son adopted into another family, and the attempts of his relatives to do away with him, and after shifts in alliances he must defend his new family against his birth brothers.
    "Well, it had to be approved by the local elector count," Bruno said, not saying that these things were mostly routine and not done by the elector him- or herself but by underlings who could be brib... persuaded, "and this is only done on the lower levels of the nobility. I've not heard of it being done above the rank of baron actually."

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

With his lesser foes slain before his wrath Gimgroth smiles as a true foe emerges and crashes into the three adventurers. Finally a worthy opponent a Rat Ogre. A death worth singing about for sure. His ancestors were looking up at him from the roots of the mountains. Gimgroth a surface dwarf fighting the enemy below the earth as all honorable dwarfs must find themselves doing again and again. Gimgroth launches a series of hammer blows at the giant monstrosity. There was a hope for the three of them if they could bring the creature down quickly. Knowing that time was of the essence Gimgroth called upon the power of his temporary rune of might. His hammer glowed with the power of the grudges of the Dawi.
    Show

These attacks occur on Initiative 13 so before the Rat Ogre's smashing of Sir Bertelis.
    Full Action= Swift Attacks Temp Rune of Might activated for double SB to damage for 1 minute.
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[49] Damage - (1d10+12)[19]
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[44] Damage - (1d10+12)[17]
    WSvs77 - (1d100)[43] Damage - (1d10+12)[14]