New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Durations and Turns

Maybe I can't read good...

It's an extremely rare case that a combat will last 10 or more rounds. ...But let's say one did. So far, so good.

Many spells have a duration of a 1 minute (10 rounds). Cool.

You're in combat. It's grueling, it's bad. You've managed to hold Concentration the entire time somehow - your dice are on fire. It comes back around to your turn...

Does the spell end at the start of your turn, or at the end?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Durations and Turns

I don't think there's a clear rule, buuuut...

If you cast the spell on your turn, it has been active on your turn, and then on 9 more turns, so it would expire at the start of your 10th turn after casting the spell, since that would be the 11th turn the spell would've been active.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I concur with Ignimortis. It ends at the start of your 10th turn.

If you somehow manage to cast it off your turn then I'd go with at the end of your turn.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, "You get ten of your turns during which a minute-long duration spell is active," seems like a good guideline.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If you want a visualization, find 10 tokens or like poker chips. When you cast the spell, stack the tokens. At the start of each subsequent turn, remove a token. The spell ends the moment you remove the last token.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post

If you cast the spell on your turn, it has been active on your turn, and then on 9 more turns, so it would expire at the start of your 10th turn after casting the spell, since that would be the 11th turn the spell would've been active.
    I agree.

That being said, as a DM I would most likely allow it to last until the end of your turn in the 10th round, simply for the "fun factor". Especially if the combat is so grueling that it's lasted the full 10 rounds, you probably need that extra round pretty badly.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you cast the spell on your turn, it has been active on your turn [...]
    I'd argue that ignores casting time, which (much less so for bonus action spells at the beginning of your turn) takes up a significant portion of the time your turn comprises, and therefore the correct rounding is to the end of your 10th complete turn.

To put it another way, any effect during your casting turn happens at T minus 0 rounds, so you still have 10 rounds of duration remaining.
    Last edited by Reach Weapon; 2022-11-29 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify argument.
    Whatever else may be in their orders, a picket's ultimate responsibility is to die noisily.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If it had a duration of one round, you'd assume it ended at the end of your next turn. Otherwise it would end before you had an action to take advantage of whatever effect it had.

So I'd say a duration of ten round means the round you cast it in plus nine more, and it lasts through the end of that last turn.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I concur with this as a general operating principle.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    If it had a duration of one round, you'd assume it ended at the end of your next turn. Otherwise it would end before you had an action to take advantage of whatever effect it had.

So I'd say a duration of ten round means the round you cast it in plus nine more, and it lasts through the end of that last turn.
    ^ Yeah that. If it was the beginning of your next turn rather than the end, then True Strike becomes even more useless than it already is. So a 1 minute spell ends at the end of turn 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default From 0 to 10 in 11 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    If it had a duration of one round, you'd assume it ended at the end of your next turn.
    That reads like another argument in favor of starting the "stopwatch" at 0, and then counting out 10 rounds, as I advocated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach Weapon View Post
    [...] therefore the correct rounding is to the end of your 10th complete turn.
    Whatever else may be in their orders, a picket's ultimate responsibility is to die noisily.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reach Weapon View Post
    To put it another way, any effect during your casting turn happens at T minus 0 rounds, so you still have 10 rounds of duration remaining.
    I tend to do it that way. I can count on two hands the number of fights we have had that lasted 10 rounds. But we have had some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ^ Yeah that. If it was the beginning of your next turn rather than the end, then True Strike becomes even more useless than it already is. So a 1 minute spell ends at the end of turn 10.
    Concur.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society