New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Goblins XIX: New Year, New Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgath is still around, as... that thing.

Death would be a mercy, really.
    Why? Being a klik amalgam is to his advantage. He probably has DR now well ahead of the appropriate level, and can definitely heal from contact with a variety of substances: metal, tree bark, you name it. It's a huge tactical advantage and allows him to save his healing spells for those who are more susceptible to harm. As long as he still has his senses of touch, smell and tastes, there's no real downside to Klikgath.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Why? Being a klik amalgam is to his advantage. He probably has DR now well ahead of the appropriate level, and can definitely heal from contact with a variety of substances: metal, tree bark, you name it. It's a huge tactical advantage and allows him to save his healing spells for those who are more susceptible to harm. As long as he still has his senses of touch, smell and tastes, there's no real downside to Klikgath.
    The problem is he has a list a dozen items long where specific parts of his body are vulnerable to something specific. And its entirely possible healing works the same way. He may not be ABLE to use healing spells on himself. Instead he needs to carry around a supply of a dozen items to repair specific sections of his body if they get damaged. like, he may need iron to heal his right arm, coal for his left pec, mercury for his right eye, etc. Imagine if his right arm is vulnerable to steel and he goes to block an attack with it and it gets chopped right off with screaming agony? His left arm is allergic to wood so that club breaks it like a twig. Its a lot to keep straight.

But I may be wrong. I cant remember when we covered what it means for a klik to merge with a living being. I know it changes something but im not sure I remember what. I just remember there was the potential for problems and thats what happened to dies horribly and his green arm monster. (Which we never went back to)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, Salt was too young, and Forklickft was botched. He probably will have problems similar to Dies's.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #214

So... in the room that makes thing real, MinMax said:
    "Forgath died" -> No conseguences, as Forgath actually died, so there is no reality change.
    "Brother, you are alive" -> Here, it matters if the spell understand pathos retorical forms. Anyway, just calling someone "brother" should not count as saying "we are brothers". At the same time, "You are alive" is probably innocuous as Forgath is, at this time, alive.
    "We're back together!" -> Again, inconseguential on virtue of being correct anyway.

I know this post is useless, but I'm keeping track of things MinMax says for the inevitable moment he will sweat.
    Last edited by Laurentio III; 2023-10-22 at 02:32 AM.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

5. - Top - End - #215

I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #216

Well ok then! Still time for something to go tragically wrong in this room, but for the moment that was easy.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #217

It is also, I admit, increasingly looking like I gave Elli too much credit in thinking both the black-and-white pages would be colored in.

8. - Top - End - #218

Why? Being a klik amalgam is to his advantage.
    Perhaps as long as he doesn't come across a mirror and instantly dies of shame upon seeing what he has become.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

This gives big "my character sleeps wearing heavy armor" energy.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #220

Oh yeah, Forgath is still around, as... that thing.

Death would be a mercy, really.
    Perhaps as long as he doesn't come across a mirror and instantly dies of shame upon seeing what he has become.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This gives big "my character sleeps wearing heavy armor" energy.
    I do not think "better dead than ugly" is an attitude Forgath should be assumed to have at the present or in the future.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I do not think "better dead than ugly" is an attitude Forgath should be assumed to have at the present or in the future.
    This goes beyond ugliness and into body horror to me. Forgath is now a living clump of mismatched materials.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Ugly" is severely understating his condition.

But to be clear I was responding to:

Being a klik amalgam is to his advantage. [bunch of tactical considerations] As long as he still has his senses of touch, smell and tastes, there's no real downside to Klikgath
    Which reads like fight optimization is the only thing that matters to a character's life.
    I don't agree that death would be preferable to life in this state, I just don't think that the fighting bonuses make up for it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But at least Forgath's mind and soul hasn't changed which is enough for MinMax.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgath doesn't seem to have much problem with it, or at least, he prefers it to death.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

This goes beyond ugliness and into body horror to me. Forgath is now a living clump of mismatched materials.
    Par for the wangsty course then!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Par for the wangsty course then!
    I thought he already passed that? It seems to be a prerequisite for this comic.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

I love how enthusiastic Idle is in confessing to murder.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I love how enthusiastic Idle is in confessing to murder.
    Lol, for once she's the one who wasn't killed.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I feel surprised that my prediction wasn't correct. I also don't feel it's very satisfying to have my expectations subverted by the idiot character luck out by saying things that are all consistent with current reality with no real planning.

I guess this is one of those things where there is still plenty of time for it to go horribly wrong before they actually exit the room though so maybe I shouldn't be counting any chickens in either direction

20. - Top - End - #230

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I feel surprised that my prediction wasn't correct. I also don't feel it's very satisfying to have my expectations subverted by the idiot character luck out by saying things that are all consistent with current reality with no real planning.

I guess this is one of those things where there is still plenty of time for it to go horribly wrong before they actually exit the room though so maybe I shouldn't be counting any chickens in either direction
    That's true, Minmax is still wearing Truth Teal. On the other hand, I'm much more concerned about Idle. Her entire body is the color of White Lies. If she enters the room things could get very ugly indeed.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

21. - Top - End - #231

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    My guess is that if MinMax had said anything different that also required for different events to have happened, then those events would have been depicted earlier in the comic instead of what we got.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    My guess is that if MinMax had said anything different that also required for different events to have happened, then those events would have been depicted earlier in the comic instead of what we got.
    The magic only works in the corridor, so any sentence said about the outside is moot.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

The magic only works in the corridor, so any sentence said about the outside is moot.
    It might be that the universe itself is bent to ensuring things that occur in the corridor, even if they can be influenced by outside events, will turn out to be true when they are spoken about in the corridor, and that this causality can work backwards in time from when the words are said.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2023-10-24 at 11:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    It might be that the universe itself is bent to ensuring things that occur in the corridor, even if they can be influenced by outside events, will turn out to be true when they are spoken about in the corridor, and that this causality can work backwards in time from when the words are said.
    That doesn't really fit with what we've seen so far. It seems to instead rewrite reality within the vicinity of the corridor, with reverting happening once you leave.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #235

Yep, it doesn't work retroactively, otherwise Kin would have really been Princess Blanket, even back when she first appeared.

And even the oblivion holes in the Maze of Many didn't work retroactively, at least from our point of view.

26. - Top - End - #236

Kin is stupidily smart, and already asserted that the magic in the room is like Alladin's Genie: "Phenomenal cosmic powers! Itty bitty living space!".
    Working outside the room is already too much. Working back in time would be asking the Moon.
    Remember, Kin being a queen worked in an hallucination, not even changing the room aspect.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

27. - Top - End - #237

New page. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2023

I really like that pages are coming out this fast.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    New page. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2023

I really like that pages are coming out this fast.

Yeah Goblins update rate has been pretty solid recently, glad to see it.

The page is fine, funny but no major progress.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Same here. Got an honest chuckle out of me. Having one of these once in a while is refreshing.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Same here. Got an honest chuckle out of me. Having one of these once in a while is refreshing.
    These types of updates are kinda painful when it's 1 page every month or two months, but with a decent update rate they're welcome.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero