New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Critical Hit Question

I didn't want to derail another thread, so I thought I'd ask here. First, two quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium
    When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 ... you have scored a threat. The hit might be a critical hit (or 'crit'). To find out if it is a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll - another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    True Strike
    [...]
    You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

Alright, so true strike says that it gives you a bonus on your next single attack roll. The rules for a crit confirmation (as defined in the Rules Compendium) say that you use all the same modifiers as the attack roll.

So, which do you do? Does the +20 from true strike count as a modifier that you'd also count on your crit confirmation roll? Or does the text of true strike talking about your "next single attack roll" over rule this?
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Critical Hit Question

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    I didn't want to derail another thread, so I thought I'd ask here. First, two quotes:

Alright, so true strike says that it gives you a bonus on your next single attack roll. The rules for a crit confirmation (as defined in the Rules Compendium) say that you use all the same modifiers as the attack roll.

So, which do you do? Does the +20 from true strike count as a modifier that you'd also count on your crit confirmation roll? Or does the text of true strike talking about your "next single attack roll" over rule this?
    Critical Hit rules provide all same modifiers. Modifiers are bonuses and penalties which affect the roll. True Strike would apply.

However, something like the expending of a surge of fortune, which gives you an auto-nat 20 on a single roll, is not a modifier, but a special effect. Such things would not apply to the confirmation roll.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think that the specific text of true strike that says 'single attack roll' overrules the general case that crit confirmations use the same modifiers as the scoring hit. The confirmation roll is a second, new attack roll, so true strike has already been expended and cannot apply. Now, speaking from a common-sense perspective, I find that silly; it's a new attack roll, but it's the same swing of the weapon, which is the reason it uses the same set of modifiers. There's no reason your magically-guided potential critical shouldn't be magically-guided into a confirmed critical aside from possible ramifications on game balance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922;3605351
    Alright, so [I
    true strike[/I] says that it gives you a bonus on your next single attack roll. The rules for a crit confirmation (as defined in the Rules Compendium) say that you use all the same modifiers as the attack roll.
    There's your answer, right there. The True Strike spell provides IIRC, an "Insight Bonus" [i.e., a modifier] to the attack roll. Ergot, it applies as well to the crit confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Really, what about cleave?

If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I think Cleave's intent was another attack at the same Base Attack Bonus with all relevant modifiers recalculated. You wouldn't get to use a flanking bonus on a Cleave target that you didn't flank, or apply a Favored Enemy bonus if you were a Ranger cleaving from a favored to a non-favored enemy; those modifiers apply to a crit confirmation because you're 'attacking' the same enemy, but a Cleave is an entirely new attack and not just an attack roll.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Favored enemy is damage, not to hit. I don't use True Strike for Cleave. I do use True Strike for crit confirms. I was simply pointing out the natural extension of Swordguy's argument.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Really, what about cleave?
    Cleave isn't specific about keeping all modifiers. Just the attack bonus. Thus, no.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Seems pretty specific to me. At The Same Bonus. No room for doubt there. RAW is pretty clear, if you interpret it as Swordguy does.

I don't. (although I agree with his conclusion, I disagree with his argument)
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Seems pretty specific to me. At The Same Bonus. No room for doubt there. RAW is pretty clear, if you interpret it as Swordguy does.

Just to be sure I have not misunderstood you:

Do you allow True Strike to apply to the confirmation rule on the basis of RAW or a house rule?

If RAW, could you please explain which text supports such a use?

Thank you.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

At the same bonus != with all the same modifiers.

For example:

you have cleave, and you've got 1 standing opponent and one prone opponent. You power attack the standing opponent with a total attack bonus of +9, and hit, dealing enough damage to fell him. You declare the prone opponent to be the target of the cleave attack.

You then apply an additional +4 MODIFIER to your bonus for attacking a prone target.

or if you have cleave, and you fell an opponent with your spiked chain, and for your cleave, you declare a disarm attack on another adjacent foe.

You then apply an additional +2 MODIFIER to your bonus for using a spiked chain to disarm.

Modifier is not equal to bonus. You're getting confused between bonuses, and bonus. When an attack is referring to a single bonus, and one only, as cleave does, it is referring to the base attack bonus. Not the +2 insight bonus, the +4 circumstance bonus, the +3 strength bonus, and the +1 inherent bonus. JUST the Base Attack Bonus. You then apply any applicable MODIFIERS to that roll, just as you would for any other attack.

This isn't rocket surgery. The text is there for people using the full attack action. It doesn't enable you to reuse spells or ignore standard situational modifiers to an attack, such as prone, bonuses to certain kinds of attacks (like trip and disarm), or concealment bonuses.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

At the same bonus appears to be referring to Iterative Attack Bonus.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Do you allow True Strike to apply to the confirmation rule on the basis of RAW or a house rule?

Thank you.
    As a house rule, base on my perception of RAI.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

As a house rule, base on my perception of RAI.
    That is how I understood it, just wanted to be sure my conflict shyness was not trying to get me out of an argument.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post

Thank you.
    By RAW, yes, you apply. All modifiers, it's right there. You simply redo the same attack to see if you confirm the threat. Same bonuses and penalties. If you use power attack (Without shock trooper, let's say), you still get the penalty to confirm the critical. Special conditions (like Power Critical) specify when something changes.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    This isn't rocket surgery.
    I believe this raises an obvious question: what is rocket surgery? And why doesn't my college have it as a major?

In response to this issue though, I believe that the wording of critical confirmations does allow for the True Strike bonus to apply, but the wording of Cleave does not allow for that bonus to apply on the extra attack.

And for the benefit of the Popcorn Tyrant: I do not consider this a houserule, I consider this the interpretation of the RAW. Honestly, I would houserule that True Strike should not affect the roll to confirm.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I say the true strike bonus applies to critical confirmation both in the RAW and RAI.

True Strike:
    Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus.
    Critical Hit:
    To find out if it’s a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made.
    Therefore, since true strike provides an insight bonus to the attack roll, the same bonus applies to the critical threat conformation roll. So, the RAW say yes, it applies.

As far as does it make sense? (I.e., the RAI) Yes -- true strike makes your attack roll more precise, allowing for more potential damage.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota