New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 44
    PP:10 PIv: 09 PIs: 10
    Lay on Hands: 25/25 Spell Slots: 4/2

Turns out Felicity, who was not exactly a paragon of scholarship, knew a fair bit about this Nethys and how they liked their adherents interred. Pretty exciting.

"We should bury him with something magical. Or at least something.... adventurey."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Nil
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 33 / 33 THP: 8

PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 1/3, 3rd: 1/2; channel 2/3

"A good point, Felicity. I've only read a little about Nethyr, but what you say rings a bell."

Bil offers a few words of praise for the fallen wizard. Drawing on what he has seen of Desquierem's mastery of magic, and Hylusi's reaction to his skill.
    "I wish I knew one of Nethyr's hymns. With Damh's blessing, in celebration of this moments, the master wizard's freedom from his imprisonment, and the dedication of his life to the pursuit of magic, I offer this." The haregon breaks into an impressive rendition of "Magic to Do," backing himself with chimes through Thaumaturgy.

Bil outlines the area of the grave in faerie fire then begins a ritual, asking Damh for silence in the area allowing the grave to be dug in quiet.
    Lowering the body into the grave, Bil tucks the book he had thrown earlier into the hands of the body, and releases his silence spell.

"Your life was given to the pursuit of knowledge. Let this be book be yours into eternity."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32 THP: 5
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 4/10
    Alchemical treats: 7/7 granting 3THP
    Goreling count: 7

Hylusi did not attend the funeral. In truth, she held them in mild contempt - after all, she had already conquered her destinied death once, so the notion of being buried and politely shuffling along to whatever insipid afterlife awaited really just sounded like quitter's talk.

A true mage used whatever it took to stay in the game, so to speak.

Instead, she ensconced herself within the wizard's study, picking through the tomes left behind and examing the magical plunder a bit more. The corpse had managed to bring cantrips to an unusual level of power. It might not be necromancy, but power was power, and power of life and death itself sometimes came second to more mundane arcana. Seated in the wizard's former chair, new, snazzily-lizardskinned glove gorelings turning the page for her, and a glass of wine in one of her own hands, she would seem quite the picture of a mage at home.

Show

[/QUOTE]
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mage's Garden

There is a stirring of spiritual energy as Felicity and Bil put the Mage to rest. When the words are said, the book is entombed, and Nethys' name is intoned, the spirit dissipates, bound for whatever afterlife this god of magic had for it's worshippers (or whatever afterlife the Mage has earned themselves). The garden is still, and all that remains is to finish filling the grave. It doesn't take long between the two religiously minded party members, but once it is done there is a sense of... finality. And cleansing. This home truly feels vacant now... which leaves room for you all to move in.

The Mage's Study

Hylusi finds the cellar well stocked with wine, and more so filled with a selection of canned vegetables and fruits, hanging cured meats, and even an entire small room with aging cheeses. Desquiren apparently believed in keeping food that keeps, which is convenient since it appears he's been dead for months, not years. The food in the primary kitchen will all have to be replaced, however. That is, if you all stay. It is tempting. Just the former owners own books promise years of academic interest, let alone the other works in his library. As the lizard skinned, slightly misshaped hand of her latest goreling turns her page, Hylusi's attendants set about basic housekeeping duties to bring this place up to snuff for their sleepless lady to reside here.

Doredan's Rooms

As Doredan is pondering the dangers of flopping down on the comfortable but firm bed, he hears a small "mrowl!" and a candlestick seemingly randomly bumps off of a nearby dresser and falls to the floor. Fortunately it is not lit. Then Doredan more senses than sees or hears a small body leap up onto the bed. However, to his eyes there is nothing. Wait... no... the bed is slightly depressed, as though a small house cat were sitting on it. Then, unexpectantly, he feels a feline, furry body arch it's back up towards his hand and rub against it. It seems Desquiren's spirit is not the only one that had trouble moving on from this place, though there is no way of communicating with this ghost... for now. The cat purrs loudly as it gives attention to Doredan's hand, then there is an audible leap, landing, and feline run towards the nearest wall.

Fickle, as always.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #335

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity finds Bil's service, as simple as it was, rather moving and meaningful. Couple with the sense of peace and transcendence at it close, and she wiped a single tear from her cheek.

"Wow, Bil," she said, "That was really great. If I ever find myself trapped in a wall and unable to pass into my next place of existence, I hope you're around to help me."
    Show

Nil

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Time Passes

Hours pass, either in sleeping, reading, meditation, or prayer, but all of you notice when the Planebreaker leaves your world. The same thunderous din rings out, though much softened, and the sky opens up in peals of ethereal light. The rogue moon crashes through the hole in reality, and suddenly you all find yourselves soaring through an alien sky. There are two suns in the air and you are looking over an endless series of mudflats, damp and dirty pools punctuated by stone towers ranging from six inches to six meters in height. When the raucous has settled down, you find yourselves wondering if there are others on the world below looking up at you the same way you looked up at the Planebreaker just some time ago.

Morning finds a light meal of cheese and cured meats. There is something resembling coffee in a jar next to the stove, but no sign of the traditional devices for making it. There is also a substantial supply of rather bland tea. For fresher ingredients someone would have to go out to the market and see what is on offer. Today is the day you meet the alien ruler of this place known as the Mantis.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #337

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity finds Bil's service, as simple as it was, rather moving and meaningful. Couple with the sense of peace and transcendence at it close, and she wiped a single tear from her cheek.

"Wow, Bil," she said, "That was really great. If I ever find myself trapped in a wall and unable to pass into my next place of existence, I hope you're around to help me."
    Show

Nil

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 1/3, 3rd: 1/2; channel 2/3

Bil chuckles at the centaur's kind - if awkwardly phrased - praise.
    "I hope it never comes to that, my friend. I suggest we're overdue for a less permanent rest."

Bil settles into whichever bedroom is unclaimed. Doffing his armor, he settles by the window for a few moments of reflection and meditation. He allows his mind to wander across the events of the day, the new friends, the dangers, and the many moments he's been granted to celebrate the glory of Damh.

Wine, he thinks. I need to stock this home properly for worship.

He pushes the thought aside. The goal of his prayer to disappear into the moment. No plans. No past. He breathes deeply, and opens himself up to Damh's guidance. Bil prays for to his god to share the power that will help him be of service to his new companions and complete their quest.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 24/33, 3 thp
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

The Evening

Sitting upon the bed, Doredan pets the ear of the ephemeral, invisible feline for the brief moments before its nature takes it scampering to some other part of the manor. Strange, but endearing in its own way. Perhaps this mage's manse would not be such an unfitting place to lay their heads after all, now that the interior turned out to be much larger than the exterior. Certainly he would not be staying in any communal bunkroom!

Once the others return from the funeral, Doredan joins them for a small meal before they rest, and then turns in - in the same room he'd used to wash up. Seated at the window, drinking a glass of prestidigitatiously-cooled water, he watches as the Planebreaker lives up to its name and carries them between worlds. As he lays down for sleep, he recalls the person whose eyes he looked out of through the mask, and how similar their view must have been.

The Morning

With some cheese, cured meat and a few dried bread crackers, Doredan crafts for himself little sandwiches. Nothing so skillfully made as the gourmet sandwiches the castle chefs would prepare for his light lunches, but nostalgic in a rural way.

"So," he rolls a hand towards the others after using a cloth to wipe his fingers and face free of crumbs. "Today we are to meet the Mantis that rules this place. A reputation precedes them, and it is not a reputation to be trifled with. We should all take care not to overstep."

9. - Top - End - #339

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 2/2; channel 3/3

Enjoying his breakfast in a companionable silence, Bil looks up when the prince speaks.

"Quite right, your grace. If I might suggest, you could permit me to serve as your seneschal for the day. I can make the introductions for our group to the Mantis and their court, whatever form that may take. It is your sister at issue, and so there will of course me a moment when your voice is needed. But allowing me to handle the more trifling matters may allow you to retain more of the gravitas which your station is due."

He extends a companionable paw towards Felicity and Hylusi.

"Lady Fourhooves and Mistress Quatemaros, I mean no offense of course, and as with the prince, I would not endeavor to speak on your behalf except when it is expedient or ceremonious. A simple understanding of hierarchy in advance allows us to present ourselves as a team whose cohesion belies our short time together."
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-09-22 at 11:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    Felicity spends the evening walking around the house, armed and armoured, peeking into rooms, poking into corners. No matter where they were (if 'where' even meant anything), she served Crown, and Prince Doredan. And if the Prince was going to be sleeping in this place, it was up to her to make sure it was safe. And that she knew the layout in case they had to get somewhere fast.

Assuming she doesn't find anything overly concerning (or something fascinating that keeps her up all night), she explores and then retires to whatever room is empty.

She sets into breakfast with her usual enthusiasm. She does cast a thought for what they're going to do about food, long term.

"What kinds of food do you guys think they even have here? You think they have, like, potatoes or whatever? Or you think it's all weird alien monster space vegetables?"

To Bil:

"I would rather you do the talking than me. I'm not at all good at that sort of thing."

Show

Nil

11. - Top - End - #341

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 33/33, 8 thp
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

"Brother," the prince corrects Bil in a brief aside, then looks off into space for a moment and adds, "And sister-in-law." Then, he nods slowly. "Having a unified introduction should set a good, professional image. When it comes to politicking, I am trained in courtly matters. But this is an alien court. It would not do to make brash assumptions."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32 THP: 8
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 7/10
    Alchemical treats: 4/7 granting 8THP

The Magus, her robed and masked servants waiting patiently behind her, sipped at a glass of alarmingly purple solution - something more designed for her own unique biology than bacon or bread. It smelt faintly of citrus and ammonia. Her robes and hat, cleaned and treated by her servants, were once again entirely immaculate.

<Quite so. A fight would be... unfortunate. However, this is an alien place. We should be prepared for things to go wrong or in unexpected directions, and thus:>

She clicked her fingers, and one of the servitors presented a small pill to each of the people present.

<I have prepared these. Consume one now. This will help keep you alive - an alchemical bolstering to your health. >
    She paused a moment, then added: <Out of deference to squeamishness, they are optimally flavoured as raspberry.>

Show

All my arcana checks for the various gubbins are in the discord.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

The Reclaimed Manse

As the Magus sorts through the odds and ends you've accumulated so far, some of the items appear to have various levels of enchantment.

Show
    One at a time-
    Bandit Knife- 24- Blackguard's Blade- Common magic item. While this dagger is equipped, you have advantage against any foe who has another enemy withing 5 ft. The blade's vibrating is punctuated by aggressive lunges that seem to bite flesh more than armor. Also a gilded weapon worth 50% more than a regular magic item if you sell it.

Quill- 19- Everflowing Quill- Common magic item. This quill never runs out of it's supply of shimmering, slightly oily ink. It contains 1 charge, which is restored at moonrise, allowing you a budget of 50 gp for the purpose of scribing new spells or scrolls.

Letter Opener- 14- Shrinking Shortsword- Uncommon magic item. When the command word is uttered, the blade changes to a +1 short sword, or down to it's miniature form, a +1 1d3 piercing weapon. While in it's small form the wielder has advantage on any attempts to conceal or hide the blade.

Robe- 27- Robe of Useful Items- Uncommon. Full compliment of patches plus an additional 12 of the random patches as follows. I think you'll like how I rolled, you greedy animals-
    12- Silver Coffer worth 500 gp
    28 Wooden L:adder
    53- 10 foot cube pit
    11-Silver Coffer- 500 gp
    55- pit
    4- Bag of 100 gp
    21- Iron Door that can be attached
    77- Scroll of Fireball
    14- Silver Coffer- 500 gp
    41- Wooden Ladder
    23- 10 gems, 100 gp apiece
    50- Riding Horse with saddle bags

Smoking Wand- 21- Wand of Flame Control- Common item. 3 charges, all restore at dawn. If used as a spell implement for a fire damage spell you can spend a charge to add 1d4 damage. You can also spend a charge to change the color of a flame, reduce it to double it's burn length and half it's light, or to double it's light and half it's burn length.

Smoking Bottle- 13- Unknown grenade. It seems this smoky bottle would erupt in force damage and broken glass if thrown. There may also be a demon of some sort imprisoned inside, but you're not sure.

Potions- 19- Three lesser healing potions, one potion of lesser restoration, and one oil of fire resistance that reduces damage from fire by half for one hour.

Copper Mosquito- 22- Copper Mosquito Statuette- Uncommon Magic Item- This small statue is inanimate most of the time, only periodically fluttering it's delicate wings to betray it's purpose. Once per day you can activate the statue, which animates it for four hours. During that time, the statue can fly at 40 ft move speed and follows commands. The base of the statue is strangely shaped and fits perfectly into the ear. While the mosquito is active any who are unaware of it have trouble spotting it (+10 stealth skill with advantage against being seen, disadvantage against being heard, negating to an even roll on most perception checks). While the mosquito is active and the ear piece is in you can hear through the statuette, but only hear, with advantage on perception checks.

Flask- 11- Flask of... Soup?- Common Magic Item- Good for anything that ails you. Each day the flask is filled with a different kind of soup, but it is universally delicious, though ingredients, as always, are a matter of taste. By using a reaction you can draw the flask in response to being forced to roll a saving throw, take a slug of soup, and gain the effects of a resistance spell (+1d4 to your save). The flask contains five charges and refills at dawn with a new flavor. The soup is always at the optimal temperature when sampled from the flask, but cools normally when poured from the flask. If someone tries the soup when they are expecting alcohol they must make a DC 12 Fortitude Save or Spit Take and be sickened for one round.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #344

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD

"Well, my friends, if that is settled. I intend to head into town in search of a marketplace. Both for finer provisions than we currently enjoy, and, frankly, in search of a better weapon for myself."

Bil lingers a minute to see if any of the others want to go with him, but is quite content to head off on his own.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Looking to spend a few golds stocking the pantry and the liquor cabinet, and to buy a rapier.

15. - Top - End - #345

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Testing the weight of the Blackguard's Blade, the prince regards its gaudy and ill-suited appearance with distaste. "Perhaps I will have it refurbished to look more presentable." He adds the sheathed weapon to his belt, and straightens his shirt. He's changed into some less grand clothes than his festival attire, and the only other set of clothes he'd brought - a reddish brown tunic with gold lace trim, and a set of pants that look more like a wealthy man's lounge clothes than adventuring attired. At the very least, bloodstains would not be so obvious on this shirt.

"I prefer to be early, rather than late. I will venture to the Mantis' court and see what those in the area have to say before we present ourselves. Better to arm myself with information." He tucks the magical mosquito figurine into his vest pocket and produces the letter opener with a flick of his wrist, transforming it into a formidable steel blade.

"This one is a concealed weapon. I could hide it well, but perhaps it would better serve Dame Felicity for now. Her own weapon lacks the touch of magic."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2023-09-27 at 04:34 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Having briefly explained her findings on the various artefacts, the Magus took the quill for herself, handing off the robe to a servitor.

<We currently have a certain amount of coin, considering the treasures within the robe. There are various spells I wish to obtain. For now, then, I shall accompany you, cleric.>

She pushed the demon jar towards Felicity.

<Lady Fourhooves. Confirm for me something - I hear you paladins have good vision towards things such as outsiders. I believe a demon is sealed in here. Perhaps you can confirm it. >
    With a expression on vague distaste, she regarded the grenade. <Demons - an awkward and clumsy tool, more fit for petty cultists than true magework, but a weapon is a weapon, one supposes.>

Show

17. - Top - End - #347

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    Very pleased to be able to be useful, Felicity took the jar from Hylusi. "That's true. We are very good at that. Some of the older Paladins, from earlier days, could do it as often as they wanted to. But I can only manage a few times a day before I get tired."

She held the jar and opened her senses, trying to see if it contained, in the words of her teacher "An enemy of light and life."

After that was done, she found she was torn. What she wanted to do was go to the market. Both because she wanted to look around and take in all the strange sights and sounds (and she wanted to hang out with Bil a little more).

But she served the Crown. And here, the Crown was Prince Doredan. And if he was going into even potentially hostile territory, her place was at his side.

A brief internal struggle between her desire for excitement and adventure, and her commitment to duty, she realized there was only valid choice.

"My Prince," she said, "I would like to accompany you to the stronghold of the Mantis. We know so little of this place and its laws. An extra set of eyes and strong arms can only help."

She didn't want to insinuate that he needed here there. He was a Prince! He could do as he liked. But she wanted him to know that she could be of service.

Show

Nil

18. - Top - End - #348

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

"It would be wise not to spread ourselves too thin," with a nod, the price agrees with Felicity. "I would appreciate the second set of eyes watching my back. And I cannot think of anything I would wish you to seek me at market, in any case," he turns to Hylusi and Bil. "I trust the two of you to apply our funds responsibly."

Looking at the demon bottle cautiously, he internally would rather just cast it into the moon's deep, red seas. The magus surely knows how to safely use these things, however, so he leaves it to their expert's discretion.

As they walk towards the Mantis' stronghold, Prince Doredan makes some conversation. "Dame Felicity, is it ever inconvenient navigating structures built for bipeds?" he asks. He had not interacted with the centaur much, not socially at least, at the castle. Seeing some of the knight's struggles with stairs has illuminated him to some accessibility concerns in his kingdom's architecture. Perhaps something to bring up with the city planners. "Do you have any ideas that would make moving around Wissimvale simpler?"

19. - Top - End - #349

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    Felicity was delighted to be accompanying the Prince, but also terrified by the responsibility he implied. She was happy to be a "second set of eyes" but anxious that she would fail if she were needed.

She blushed a little at his question. She was touched to have a Prince consider her situation in this way.

"Umm, yes, My Prince. A little. Sometimes. But not the way you might think. It's less about my... not bipedal, but... four feet? Anyway. Less about that, than that I'm just taller than most humans."

She stood up to her full height and galloped in place a little. "So stairs are tricky, but the hardest part is that I have to do them all hunched over. Most doorways too."

She paused and considered.

"Hard to build a whole castle, or town, two feet higher just in case of centaur!" She laughed at the idea. "But I always want more open spaces. More gatherings and events and things outside."

Pause.

"But I guess humans are more apt to like it inside. Where it's safe and warm."

She looked at the Prince carefully. "What do you think this Mantis is going to be like? You think it'll be an actual praying mantis?"

Show

Nil

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Worldswept Market

A forest of multicolored tents, carts, stalls, wagons, blankets spread upon the cobbles, and well lit arches leading to larger interior stores fill the streets. A press of creatures with a dizzying array of features, dress, and languages peruse the market under ever-glowing lamps strung between buildings and free-floating stone spheres. Food stalls, junk sellers with wares pulled from the Sea of Uncertainty, and pens of various animals can all be spotted as Bil and Hylusi make their way into the market area. A member of the interpreter guild waves both adventurers down and offers a level of guidance through the chaotic hubbub of the most crowded part of the city.

Spoiler: Locations
    Show

Marigold's Magicks- A magic item and curio shop located in a proper building with a large, illuminated sign. The drow proprietor doesn't have a lot of space and therefore doesn't have a lot of stock, but what she does have is very interesting.
    Spoiler: Stock
    Show

Almanac of Common Wisdom- 100 gp The dog-eared pages of this thick, weathered tome contain useful information on a wide range of topics. The topics change to match the information relevant to the area where it is located. If you spend a short rest consulting the almanac, you treat your proficiency bonus as 1 higher when making any Int, Wis, or Cha skill checks to discover, recall, or cite information about local events, locations, or creatures for the next 4 hours. For example, this almanac's magic can help you recall and find the location of the city's oldest tavern, but its magic won't help you notice a thug hiding in an alley near the tavern.

Sturdy Scroll Tube 100 gp-A scroll inside this tube is immune to all weather effects, water damage, and it and the tube itself are immune to all damage except thunder and force.

Slimeblade Rapier On sale for 1500 gp- You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. The blade of the sword is coated in an endless supply of violet-colored slime. Despite the sword’s tendency to drip, the slime does not flow over the pommel, regardless of the angle at which it is held. You are immune to the effect of the slime while attuned to this sword. While holding this sword, you can communicate telepathically with ooze creatures, and you have advantage on Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against ooze creatures.

In addition, you can use an action to fling some of the sword’s slime at a creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 2d4 poison damage and is poisoned until the end of its next turn. On a success, the target takes half the damage and isn’t poisoned. The sword can’t be used like this again until 1 hour has passed.

7 Sleep Pellets 700 gp- This small brass pellet measures 1/2 of an inch in diameter. Typically, 1d6 + 4 sleep pellets are found together. You can use the pellet as a sling bullet and shoot it at a creature using a sling. On a hit, the pellet is destroyed, and the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 1 minute.

Alternatively, you can use an action to swallow the pellet harmlessly. Once before 1 minute has passed, you can use an action to exhale a cloud of sleeping gas in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 1 minute. An unconscious creature awakens if it takes damage or if another creature uses an action to wake it.

Potion of Healing 200 gp- One thing that the proprietor always keeps in stock, any number may be bought (within reason). Potion use is a bonus action to administer to yourself, full action to administer to someone else.

Anchor of Striking 3000 gp- This small rusty iron anchor feels sturdy in spite of its appearance. You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic war pick. When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon, the target is wrapped in ethereal golden chains that extend from the bottom of the anchor. As an action, the chained target can make a DC 15 Strength or Dexterity check, freeing itself from the chains on a success. Alternatively, you can use a bonus action to command the chains to disappear, freeing the target. The chains are constructed of magical force and can’t be damaged, though they can be destroyed with a disintegrate spell. While the target is wrapped in these chains, you and the target can’t move further than 50 feet from each other.

Mantle of the Void 3000 gp- While wearing this midnight blue mantle covered in writhing runes, you gain a 1 bonus to saving throws, and if you succeed on a saving throw against a spell that allows you to make a saving throw to take only half the damage or suffer partial effects, you instead take no damage and suffer none of the spell’s effects.
    It also gives you this ability- Void-Powered Strike- You can use a bonus action to infuse your next spell or attack with power from the Void. Choose one creature that failed its saving throw against your spell or that was hit by your attack. That creature is stunned until the end of its next turn. Once used, you can’t use this property again until the next dawn.

Gnawing Spear On sale for 1,500 gp- You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magic weapon. When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this spear, its head animates, grows serrated teeth, and lodges itself in the target. While the spear is lodged in the target and you are wielding the spear, the target is grappled by you. At the start of each of your turns, the spear twists and grinds, dealing 2d6 piercing damage to the grappled target. If you release the spear, it remains lodged in the target, dealing damage each round as normal, but the target is no longer grappled by you. While the spear is lodged in a target, you can’t make attacks with it. A creature, including the restrained target, can take its action to remove the spear by succeeding on a DC 15 Strength check. The target takes 1d6 piercing damage when the spear is removed. You can use an action to speak the spear’s command word, causing it to dislodge itself and fall into an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the target.

Spoiler: Selling
    Show
    Up to 2000 gp per group per week-
    Common- 50 gp, 25 gp single use
    Uncommon- 200 gp, 100 single use
    Rare- 2000 gp, 1000 gp single use
    Very Rare- 4000 gp, 2000 gp single use
    Legendary- Negotiable.

Spoiler: Wag Pet Store
    Show
    Proprietor Layle Kaban offers all manner of pets, companions, and pack beasts, all well trained. Inquire for specific animals and prices.

Spoiler: Jari's Marvelous Finds
    Show
    The cloud giant dressed in exotic, multicolor silks runs a business that mostly purchases and sells things that the beachcombers from the Sea of Uncertainty are looking to offload. Occasionally the odd magic item ends up in her grasp, but for the moment her stock is in doo dads, oddments, wreckage, and bits and bobs of interesting looking jewelries.

Spoiler: Greentent Games
    Show
    A loud tent, filled with the sound of shuffling chips, turning wheels, cries of excitement, and moans of desperate loss. A sign on the door says "Games for Adults Only". As you both are passing by a group is being tossed out of the tent. "I wasn't fightin'!" Says a musclebound man in a ratty vest. "Don't matter none to the Cap'n." says the bouncer, who hurls the big man out of the tent with a grunt.

Spoiler: Food
    Show
    All manner of food carts, stalls, and stations have been set up. One of the more permanent ones reads "Planar Seafood Emporium", which is manned by a halfling woman who is currently fileting a fish larger than her. Another stall is titled "SUPER NOODLES!", and appears to be manned by a mechanical figure of some sort, speaking a language none of you have heard. All manner of food can be found here, including fresh ingredients to stock up the pantry as follows-
    All supplies will last a month, with reinforcements being delivered once fresh stocks run out-
    Meager- bread, eggs, milk, cheap ale, and little else- 25 gp
    Adequate- Add in some fresh vegetables and a bit of preserved meat- 50 gp
    Above Average- Fresher meat and seafood added, along with a fresh selection of spices and better quality drinks, like juice and acceptable alcohols. This tier comes with a chef, but with only basic skills.- 100 gp
    Like Nobles- Only the best cuts, crops, and drinks, exotic delicacies, and a skilled personal chef formerly of a tavern offworld to manage it- 600 gp
    Royalty- No one in Timebourne will be eating as well as you, and your staff are some of the best in many worlds- 2000 gp

The Enclave of the Mantis

Rounded, fused metallic walls rise to form a complex of a few square acres in size, completely windowless. A single central cavity, perfectly circular and about 40 feet in diameter, pierces the reflective façade. Broad stairs rise about 30 feet, granting access to the cavity. The same stones form three rough balconies: one directly below and one to either side of the cavity. Broadsheets are posted directly on the metallic surface of the underlying structure.

Various solicitors line the stairs, shouting political slogans, pleas for advocacy, and offers for advocacy at prices the beggars nearby cannot afford. Bounties and missives line the lower walls, each bearing an exotic ink stamp of swirling lines and sigils that mark it officially sanctioned by the Mantis. Some bounties read as follows-
    Spoiler: Bounties
    Show

• Clean a 300-foot length of street of litter,
    garbage, waste, and other unsightly bits.
    • Turn in five Path tokens.
    • Bring in the head of a thief plaguing the
    Worldswept Market.
    • Bring in the head of anyone caught stealing
    books from the Library of Worlds.
    • Bring in the head of anyone caught stealing
    books from the Sisterhood of Sages.
    • Repair a building that’s in need of
    refurbishment.
    • Bring in the head of anyone caught sneaking
    into the tunnels beneath the unnamed gates.
    • Eliminate a ghost or an infestation of psionic
    mold or mind mold wraiths, or clear up some
    other dangerous situation in one of the city’s
    structures.
    • Break up a conflict where one of the
    participants has already drawn first blood.

There are also a selection of fresher bounties that appear to be changed out more regularly-

• Settle a dispute, one way or another, between
    two Timeborne inhabitants who have both laid
    claim to the same building.
    • Bring the Mantis the head of Kasanimar Tal,
    someone who once passed through Timeborne
    and was heard calling her a “miserable ****
    drizzle” and worse.
    • Bring the Mantis the head of Goodman Saw,
    apparently a shoemaker living in a distant
    dimension (and who, people whisper, has no
    connection to the Mantis that they know of).
    • Deliver a small chest of soul silver to Tereculon
    the Fate Eater for “services rendered.”
    • Bring the Mantis the heads of the last group of
    bounty hunters who were given a chest of soul
    silver to deliver to the Fate Eater and instead
    simply made off with the chest.
    • Defend Timeborne from an unexpected
    invading force.

All bounties offer payoffs in a substance known as "soul silver", but there is no indication what that is.

Two stairways curve up to a massive 40 ft circular entrance that is monitored by a pair of figures wearing exotic armor and carrying wicked looking tridents. As the two of you approach, though there are others waiting in line, they motion for you to come forward. "Newcomers. The Mantis wished to see you immediately. Step through, enter the main chamber, and wait for her to address you. Be respectful and you'll be fine. Act the idiot and she'll eat you, or one of her counselors will eat you." These figures, you realize, are not the humanoids they appear, but statues that combine a deep brown wood with gold, silver, and copper wire and filigree to simulate a face.

Upon entering the inner chamber, you find it nearly empty, with just a few more of these wooden guard standing ceremonially around the chamber. After you both have been there for several moments, however, curtains are pulled aside from upper balconies, revealing the Mantis and the two counselors you were warned of. A central brazier burning with red flames lights the wide chamber, though erratically. Opposite the entrance, a wide dais holds a flower-like extrusion upon which rests a many-limbed entity that merges humanoid physiology with that of a huge praying mantis. She’s easily 15 feet tall even reclining on her petal-like seat. The mantis-like being is flanked on her left by a 10-foot-tall horned demonic creature with an extra set of arms, one set of which ends in pincers. On the Mantis’s right is a humanoid with feathery wings, eyes that shine with light, and silvery skin.

In a distinctly feminine but wholly alien voice that sounds pleasing, disturbing, and whispering all at the same time, the Mantis "speaks" with her mind, not opening her mouth. "You've made quite the impression in your brief time in my home. Who are you? You have the smell of locals to the last plane we visited. Were you drawn up by the Great Wake, or do you have some business here on Timeborne?"

All images owned and copywritten by Monte Cook Games, used under the fan use policy
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-10-04 at 11:03 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #351

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD

Drawing on his background as a court functionary - Bil sets to the most important task first: securing proper help and supplies for the company's "manor."

"Quite right, good fellow. A small grounds, several bedrooms, a stables. There is a greenhouse that would certainly benefit from the addition of an apiary."
    "And most importantly, there is the kitchen. His highness and retinue should expect a nourishing breakfast when they awaken, as well as a dinner at whatever hour they might return in the evening. You can expect their hours to be somewhat, erm, irregular."
    Bedchambers and the sitting room should be refreshed in our absences, and the manor should never be unattended, should the Prince return or should his peers call upon him."

Bil casts a dismissive eye over the less skilled cooks.

"What quantities of vegetables and meats would you prepare for a centaur, and which spices would you avoid? What is your understanding of trikeen olfactory-gustation? Suggests 3 dinners that could be made appealing to them both, and whose leftovers could be repurposed into an acceptable gouter the following day."
    "I will need to hear of your references, of course, and why you left their service."
    Bil was less interested in the references themselves, and more interested in beginning to patch together the web of influences that make up the Planebreaker. Surely, for all of its exotic inhabitants, the city represented a warren like any other - with top bucks, overeager kits, and canny does. The best way to learn who is really who - which invitations are most fretted over, and which cannot be ignored - is to listen to the staff gossip.

Show
    Investing 600 gp to insure we live "Like Nobles"

Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-10-04 at 12:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    Felicity tried not to look too much like a wide-eyed newcomer. But she was a newcomer by circumstance, and wide-eyed by nature. Her fey nature blazed in her and she was delighted and amazed by all the strangeness and oddness and alienness all around her.

And the fact that all of this was organized enough for the two of them to be recognized and expected! Boggled the mind.

As she was ushered into the presence of the Mantis herself, Felicity was thunderstruck by her power and majesty.

She bowed low and held the bow for a long time. Only when the Mantis spoke did she look up. And although she should have let Prince Doredan speak first, but she was so taken with the Mantis that she took every question as a command.

"Drawn by the wake, so far as my meager understanding allows, Your Most August Majesty."

But she also couldn't help being who she was...

"Can you.. smell... a plane? For real? Have you been here before and recognize the smell? Or do you somehow just know it when you smell it?"

Show

Nil

23. - Top - End - #353

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Travel Banter

"Height, in doorways," holding a knuckle to his chin, nodding with the knight's explanation. "While I am no architect, I am certain there are ways around that issue. A small step down and then back up on the inside, with a taller door? That way the building would not need to be made taller..." he mumbles a little, trailing off to himself.

"And it is not 'just in case' of centaur. In recent years, and particularly should our alliance with the elves hold true, fey-descended inhabitants have become more common in Wissimvale. Those such as yourself, or Cleric Bil," folding his hands behind his back, Doredan surveys the impressive enclave as they approach. The iridescent face of the towering building has an otherworldly quality to it that captures his attention. "... A place like this, we may see sources of inspiration in designing a city for varied species."

Some of the bounties catch his eye as those they have already completed, intentionally or accidentally. When one of the guards calls for him, he flinches a little in surprise. It seems this scouting trip would become more than they had bargained for...

Meeting the Mantis

Upon meeting with the enigmatic ruler, Doredan is surprised to find her speech so... comprehensible. Massive, so loud that it leaves a 'ringing' in his head and dwarfs his own thoughts. But in words he understands. Though... if a man can learn to make bird calls, a towering alien demigoddess could learn to make herself understood by a man. He bows, knowing at in spite of his royalty he is in the presence of something greater.

"Is the Great Wake meaning the trails that lead to the Planebreaker?" the prince inquires, considering briefly whether he should be speaking or 'thinking' his answer. Felicity's outburst has him in fear for the centaur's safety, not certain yet what constitutes disrespect for this entity. "Initially, we used those trails to follow a band of sky pirates who abducted royalty from our world. Yet, we have learned that those pirates are not welcome here. So, our business on Timeborne is discovering where the pirates have gone."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Hylusi perused the markets, her servitors flanking her like an honour guard. Scrolls, scrolls... such a market was sure to have at least some of what she wanted, and, indeed, it did. Purchasing the scrolls she needed, she considered the scrolls of resurrecting the dead.

It was not magic she could do. Her own methods of bringing back the dead were useful, but her own personal resurrection had taken years of study and a great deal of strange and rare reagents; not necessarily something to do in a weekend.

Coming to a decision, she ordered both a scroll of revivfy and the indestructible scroll case. Slotting one in the other, she resolved to grant it to their four-legged companion in case of the worst situation coming to pass - though, of all of them, she expected herself the least likely to die (Dying twice being far more statistically unlikely, after all, compared to merely once) - but only a fool did not set up safeguards.

When it came to the weapons, she considered them carefully. Once again, it would be something for the centaur - all of their other companions had more magical methods of combat, for when they inevitably encountered foes mundane steel did little against.

She sent a mental beckon to the rabbit - he was more of a warrior than she. Once he was there, she featured with a grey hand towards the gnawing spear.
    <Sir Bil. Consider this - you are more versed in the matter of arms than I. Our equine companion could do with an enchanted weapon, but I am versed in more vital matters than the precise details of melee combat. >

Show

Purchase scrolls of:
    Comprehend languages
    Arcane lock
    Dispell magic
    Revivify

Indestructible scroll case
    All told, 680 gold, oof, but we have enough in the reserves

25. - Top - End - #355

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post

She sent a mental beckon to the rabbit - he was more of a warrior than she. Once he was there, she featured with a grey hand towards the gnawing spear.
    <Sir Bil. Consider this - you are more versed in the matter of arms than I. Our equine companion could do with an enchanted weapon, but I am versed in more vital matters than the precise details of melee combat. >

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD

Bil disengages himself from the household help in response to Hylusi's missive, still weighing his options.

He examines the spear with approval.

"You've a keen eye, milady. Have you examined the enchantments on this weapon? The serrations here suggest that it can be put to particularly lethal use against a larger opponent.

Yes, I'm sure Lady Felicity would make better use of this spear than the short sword she is currently depending on as a weapon. It will demand the majority of our current funds, but I feel that it is a sound investment, if you concur."

Show

1500 for the spear.

Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-10-09 at 08:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Worldswept Market

Bil finds that there are acceptable chefs advertising their services with the sale of fresh food, but it is at a stall for kitchen knives and tools that he finally gets the answers he is looking for. There he meets a four armed vedalken who is using three hands to show off the sharpness and skill of his knives, while the third hand idly holds a burning paper twist filled with sweet smelling tobacco. "Is the centaur vegetarian? I learned on a plains world that their people prefer fruits and vegetables overall, but some important rituals there demanded meat, so some have the taste for it. And does the thri-keen have the stomach for greens? Some of their people swear marauder oaths that keep them on a diet of their slain enemies only. If both are amenable to both, minimalistic meals of perfectly proportioned meat cuts, lean like chicken or fish, accompanied by fresh flower petal salads, chopped fruit and roots, baby greens, and a poppy seed dressing for the salad should fit most taste buds for their people, otherwise certain courses will have to shift. And everyone likes a dash of garlic and lemon pepper." He hasn't inhaled on the smoke, but he butts it out and throws it in the proper receptacle. "I've worked for several sea khans, one or two nobility, and once the royalty of a far flung kingdom, but they collapsed soon after I came on, so don't think about calling them for a reference. I have a few local references that are more easily verified, but I like to let my meals speak for themselves." He lights another smoke, again holding it at arm's length and not smoking it.

"And I only smoke outside, switching smocks whenever I do." The vedalken brought two hands up to cover a yawn, then smiled at Bil with soft, wrinkled features. He was past middle age, whatever that meant for his people. "My staff comes with me, though. Package deal. I won't work with anyone I haven't personally trained. I don't trust anyone else to follow my recipes."

The Mantis' Enclave

The creature that leads this place doesn't shift an inch as it continues to communicate with Doredan and Felicity. First responding to her, she says
    I do not waste time on honorifics. This is something the planebound use to elevate themselves above their peers. I am elevated by time, experience, and biology, not birthright. Such things are to be noted for politeness but not lingered on. And yes, I have senses more esoteric than most, and I can sense the movements of my home like an experienced sailor can feel the course of their ship. Or a prisoner their cell. I can tell you are of Viridor like you can see that I am violet."

She then turns her attention, if not her eyes, to Doredan.
    "Ah. You are Pathwalkers. No, the Great Wake is an inexorable pull that occurs when the Planebreaker leaves a place. All manner of loose detritus, items, even humanoids are drawn up by the gravity well that is formed and deposited safely in the Sea of Uncertainty.

When Doredan mentions the interplanar pirates, the first indication of emotion shows on the Mantis' face. A terrible frown, showing needle teeth and shadows of more disturbing features in the creature's maw.
    Jin the Fist has used my realm to trade and hide from authorities for years. And I cared not, for Planebreaker is above the order of others. I keep order here, they may run their own affairs, and I prefer our interests not mix. Then the cambion craven stole from ME, something I take very personally. He and his ilk are no longer welcome here, and when I find them they will suffer for their sins. If you seek them, and seek to see them brought to justice, I will afford you what help I may." There is a flicker of movement, and the Mantis' forelimb twitches.

"My home is not the only hiding place for that vermin. And when he fled my home I got a scent from his ship. Not just your realm, but the mists of Savtua, a small plane that holds a village of lizardfolk and little else. If you go there you may find more. Mayhaps even his base. And if you find a chest of silver than shines like mercury I would see you either paid for returning it or, if you bring Jin to me alive, you may keep the whole chest. Services rendered, services paid. Your Pathstones will bring you to Savtua quite quickly and surely if you seek it by name and description, though it may take a jump or two to get there exactly. But you should be careful. Locals say that mist demons stalk the edges of their community. Perhaps you can use that as an opportunity to leverage them."

But it is not for me to tell you how to do business, only to see if you are strong enough to earn my soul silver. Is there anything else this Enclave can provide you? We know little else, and unfortunately must trust mortals like yourselves to aid us."
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #357

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Meeting the Mantis

Considering the Mantis' words carefully, Doredan quietly makes connections to the bounty board outside. "So Jin is the bounty hunter that chose to keep the chest of silver for himself," he observes aloud, under his breath - though he has no doubt the mantis is keen enough to notice. Raising his voice in address again, he nods, "Very well. Your Enclave's direction is appreciated, Mantis." And no honorific save for name. "I will ensure that Jin's mistake is not repeated. I have but one more question: are bounties from the board outside reported directly to yourself, or is there an intermediary who manages bounties?"

28. - Top - End - #358

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    Felicity, despite the fact that she's a fey (perhaps even because she was a fey), really enjoyed having a good understanding of what she was supposed to be doing, and a good understanding of how she was supposed to act (and not act).

She was pleased that the Mantis didn't stand too hard on ceremony, and she was happy that the Mantis seemed to have fairly standard and understandable motives.

I mean, she's weird, of course. And clearly has her own whole thing going on, but at least she doesn't seem to, like, drink tears or bathe in wizard blood twice a day or anything.

Revenge, order, reclamation of lost property, these were all things Felicity could understand.

"Oh!" She said, after the Prince was done, "And also, is there anything really important that we should know that we might not know about? Anything you hate that we should avoid or anything you love that we should look into? Anything that'll get us killed that isn't on the standard list?"

Show

Nil

29. - Top - End - #359

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Worldswept Market

"I've worked for several sea khans, one or two nobility, and once the royalty of a far flung kingdom, but they collapsed soon after I came on, so don't think about calling them for a reference. I have a few local references that are more easily verified, but I like to let my meals speak for themselves." He lights another smoke, again holding it at arm's length and not smoking it.

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD

Bil considers the vedalken.
    Cooly, he replies, "I'll need those references all the same. Certainly a chef of your conversances with a court comprehends how character composes the core of our occupation."

Bil's nose twitches with excitement as he considers the chef.

"You may come to the manor this evening. I will want to meet the rest of your assistants, and you may assess the state of the kitchen, which has no doubt suffered from disuse until the prince and our companions laid to rest the ghost of the mage who had been haunting it. If there are material repairs to be made, you may direct those inquiries to me if the costs rise above your normal retainer."

Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

The Enclave of the Mantis

The creature before you goes back to holding still, but she responds mentally in prompt fashion.
    "Bounties can be returned here. Either myself or my viziers are nearly always on hand for official business. However, if you find Jin and capture him I would see to his punishment... personally.

Turning to Felicity, she says
    "You'll find I'm fairly hands off when it comes to keeping order here. My soul silver and my connections keep Timeborne relatively safe and secure. Simply live your lives and take part in our community. Oh, and DO NOT enter the Gates to the lower levels without my permission."

The Mantis twitches, rubbing at her antennae and face with her forelimb.

"I have given you the aid you needed. I would ask that you go utilize it in a timely fashion, once the affairs of your new home are in order. You are dismissed. Politely, of course."

The Worldswept Market

The vedalken flicks the smoking butt away into a bucket, which sizzles as though the flame were doused in water. He has still not inhaled from the smoke. "Me, my staff, my references, and your food delivery will come to whatever address you name tonight. You won't regret your decision, friend." He motions to his staff behind the counter of the stall, who begin packing up the display and readying to leave. "I'll start shopping immediately. Please write down any allergies, the last thing I'd want to do is kill one of my new employers."
    The Bear is Back.