New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: OOTS #1277 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    And come on Kraagor, really? A gauntlet where you don't actually have to fight anything? He should be forcing you to pile up the corpses on a scale or something!
    Kraagor didn't build it, he was dead. Serini did it in his honor, so it's a pretty cute mixture, actually.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 2023-03-09 at 09:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    That's exactly my question, why has it been removed as an option?
    Because "fed into a formula" or not, Serini wouldn't be worried about Roy knowing where the final dungeon was if she said something that vague to a human brain. This may assume more rationality than Serini has yet shown; she is disappointingly demonstrating herself to be more obsessed with secrecy than Girard ever was.

Alternatively: because if that was it, Serini would have had to say "I need to know what order they're going in to know that." Instead, as soon as she heard that they were searching all the dungeons, she locked on "no one else gets my information" rather than "I need more information."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Why are you all missing the real highlight of this strip? The soup isn't done cooking, much less consumed, so Roy can in fact get rid of his mild hunger problem.

Also, that is a lot of soup.
    I predict that Belkar will not die evil.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Just hit them all.
    Also known as "the Okuyasu Nijimura solution".
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Blackwing just told Roy "they're numbering them and being extra methodical". That doesn't tell him where they are, where they started, or what search pattern they're using. Roy doesn't know that, so the Order and Serini don't know that... but she still knew giving an ETA would give away the answer. Any 'it's behind a specific door' ETA would be "it depends". Hence V's conclusion.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton250 View Post
    Would the possibility that the gate is hidden by a mechanism similar to the combination lock on a locker or safe be covered by V's explanation of a "minimum quantity" but also the explanation for a scenario where a vague approximation of the estimated time would not reveal the solution? Let's say they had to finish gates 44, 27, 81 and 11 in that order without finishing any other gates in between. If they messed up the order, they've have to wait for them to repopulate again. That would have a minimum time (four dungeons, 28 or so minutes) but the average time it would take would be so impossibly long that it would be indiscernible from other random based solutions.
    When pressed for a rough estimate, Serini implied she COULD provide it, she just wouldn't, because it would reveal the location of the entrance to the final dungeon.

If it was some kind of combination lock like that, Serini wouldn't be able to provide a rough estimate because she'd have no way to know when team evil would get around to looking through dungeons in that particular order. (centuries from now)

So it's removed by the implication that the current search pattern CAN lead to a rough estimate of time at all.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    That's exactly my question, why has it been removed as an option?
    Because for providing an estimate to reveal the result if the door was a random one of the ones in the canyon, Serini would have to know exactly where Team Evil currently are and what end they started from. The fact that she could give an estimate that would reveal the result without knowing both two things, means that "all" is the only answer left.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Guys, it is simple. Switchover happens, you have to search all the doors to access the "real" dungeon....The Order's in the real dungeon now, since searching all the doors will disable the switchover system. the "back roooms" are a part of the main dungeon. There's no way Serini would admit that to people not in the know, and there's no way she wouldn't retain easy access to the gate if necessary.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Can I just say I love the protagonists being highly competent? Because I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, this means that while he couldn't have known it, MitD's tactic of painting extra doors would have prevented Reddie and Bones from ever finding the last Gate.
    As O-Chul said, the gesture itself does matter more than than the actual effectiveness, but otherwise yes.

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Why are you all missing the real highlight of this strip? The soup isn't done cooking, much less consumed, so Roy can in fact get rid of his mild hunger problem.

Also, that is a lot of soup.
    Well, they have to feed ten humanoids and a growing beholder, plus there are spells to preserve food so leftovers aren't an issue.

And I did expect that they'd save a bowl for him, but this is better.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    When pressed for a rough estimate, Serini implied she COULD provide it, she just wouldn't, because it would reveal the location of the entrance to the final dungeon.

If it was some kind of combination lock like that, Serini wouldn't be able to provide a rough estimate because she'd have no way to know when team evil would get around to looking through dungeons in that particular order. (centuries from now)

So it's removed by the implication that the current search pattern CAN lead to a rough estimate of time at all.
    You are correct, I read the strip again and realize I misinterpreted V's definition for minimum.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaymiechan View Post
    Guys, it is simple. Switchover happens, you have to search all the doors to access the "real" dungeon....The Order's in the real dungeon now, since searching all the doors will disable the switchover system. the "back roooms" are a part of the main dungeon. There's no way Serini would admit that to people not in the know, and there's no way she wouldn't retain easy access to the gate if necessary.
    I agree with your last sentence. But why would she make it possible for others to make progress? Hey, you beat all the fake dungeons, so I'm going to reward you with access to the real one because...?

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

12. - Top - End - #42

MindFlayer

The problem is, the room they are in now, is connected to the internal tunnels - where Serini confronted the party after they bypassed the swapovers.

And Serini specifically said this is not the final dungeon (1258).

Her dialogue here seems to indicate there's another dungeon, just that the entrance won't be revealed until you go through all the doors -

But obviously Serini has another way in there. I doubt she would force herself to do that.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    I agree with your last sentence. But why would she make it possible for others to make progress? Hey, you beat all the fake dungeons, so I'm going to reward you with access to the real one because...?
    Because the swapovers are barely even the first line of defense; "any competent rogue" (at least, one high-level enough to feasibly be a member of the party attempting to do so) could detect them. Also, this is as much of a tribute to his memory as much as it is actual protection.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Doubtful. That's just another way to make it possible for someone to get lucky. Like the Order did almost immediately.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

Ah yes, that makes sense. It's outright hilarious how much time Team Evil is wasting by not having a rogue.

By the way, I judge that V was as awesome in this strip as Haley was in #1243.

16. - Top - End - #46

Imp

Yeah, and Serini wouldn't be the last line of defense herself. I am now wondering, though... assuming the final dungeon has the most difficult monsters - what if it has another, grown up, MitD?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand, going through all doors will reveal the location of the actual dungeon, or allow it to be accessed? How? And most importantly, why? Serini must have had to actually put in the effort of putting in place such a mechanism... To make it easier to reach the Gate? But the whole point is that the Scribblers didn't want anyone to get to the Gates.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is my question. I can't think of how this works at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't understand, going through all doors will reveal the location of the actual dungeon, or allow it to be accessed? How?
    Am i really the only one reading the penultimate panel as the author telling us it doesn't matter? The whatsadoodle switch whixh automatically triggers whenever someone getd to the back toom a a dungeon, why not. The mechanism wont really change anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But the whole point is that the Scribblers didn't want anyone to get to the Gates.
    Citation?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

This one seems like a "you must be this tall" thing. Also, the reason why the Scribblers didn't just bury the Gates under several hundred feet of solid bedrock is the possibility of requiring to access them for whatever reason, such as maintenance; I think that was brought up in Shojo's explanation.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And thus, MiTD actually contributed!

Because his sabotage means that Team Evil has no idea what dungeons were cleared already, and thus, have to start over to ensure that nothing was missed.

Basically, whatever the clock is, he reset it.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

21. - Top - End - #51

BarbarianGuy

I mean, yea, I guess that is a way to hide the final gate. But without MITD's interference, the evil team would've found it eventually, then. And now they are doing it faster and it gets the clock ticking a lot faster. After all, for a Lich, even for one as restless as Xykon, it would only be a matter of time and the 'Gauntlet' aspect wouldn't matter to him much since he loves killing stuff.

Honestly, a better way to hide to would've been to have the Final door be hidden behind the dungeon that is was just cleared, ever time. They mentioned the shell game. And a player can never win that game if the user knows sleight-of-hand. After all, if you can somehow hide the final gate in a system where it will just show up after all dungeons are cleared, you can make one where I gave as an example.

But, Barbarians, Gauntlets, yea that fits I guess.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Am i really the only one reading the penultimate panel as the author telling us it doesn't matter? The whatsadoodle switch whixh automatically triggers whenever someone getd to the back toom a a dungeon, why not. The mechanism wont really change anything.
    Yes, the fact that they dismiss V so quickly after they brilliantly cracks the puzzle is indication that we shouldn't focus on it. It's either because it doesn't matter to the story, because there isn't an actual explanation, or both. It's both. It's definitely both. Now let's move on as we've been directed
    Last edited by Quinton250; 2023-03-09 at 10:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I really don't follow any of this logic, considering Serini was just outright refusing to give any info at all.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I recall people suggesting it might be a gauntlet, but i dont have any links to such.
    FWIW, it's always been my assumption that this was the case - "you have to reach the end of every door" seems like the kind of think Kraagor would approve of. But like V said, there were only ever 3 possibilities, "it's behind a random door", "it's behind none of the doors" and "it's set so you have to complete all the doors". A 1 in 3 chance guess is barely something to brag about.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-03-09 at 10:33 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

Serini is not as smart as she thought she was. Good thinking V.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I really don't follow any of this logic, considering Serini was just outright refusing to give any info at all.
    Because, despite her protestations, she'd already revealed SO MUCH information.

Is the gate behind one of the doors. Asked and Answered. No.
    Is the gate here, in the back stage. Asked and Answered. No.
    Will they find the gate eventually by following this search strategy. Asked and Answered. Yes.
    Can you provide an estimate of how long it will take. Asked and Answered. Yes.

Those four, seemingly innocuous answers are then used to deduce the answer she outright refuses to divulge.

She was hoisted by her own petard because she refused to just shut up and stop being badgered into giving little slips of information.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yeah, and Serini wouldn't be the last line of defense herself. I am now wondering, though... assuming the final dungeon has the most difficult monsters - what if it has another, grown up, MitD?
    In support of this, I'll point out that MitD's "much bigger" dad is still unaccounted for. I've long thought that MitD was alone in the jungle because his dad got poached by Serini's monster accumulation for her dungeon.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Because, despite her protestations, she'd already revealed SO MUCH information.

Is the gate behind one of the doors. Asked and Answered. No.
    Is the gate here, in the back stage. Asked and Answered. No.
    Will they find the gate eventually by following this search strategy. Asked and Answered. Yes.
    Can you provide an estimate of how long it will take. Asked and Answered. Yes.

Those four, seemingly innocuous answers are then used to deduce the answer she outright refuses to divulge.

She was hoisted by her own petard because she refused to just shut up and stop being badgered into giving little slips of information.
    Perfect example of "if you don't want to talk to the authorities, dont talk to the authorities. Not 'talk because you don't think youre giving them anything'. DON'T. TALK."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Serini considering them to be incompetent fools who wouldn't know the right end of a wand if it shot Fireballs into their crotch is kind of a recurring theme ever since she appeared.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #60

I recall people suggesting it might be a gauntlet, but i dont have any links to such.
    I'm quite sure that in short order we'll have any number of people claim to have seen this coming without being able to provide any such posting to previous claims. With lots of "it was obvious" and "a child could have seen it" qualifiers.