New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1277 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    ["Reddie and Bones"?]
    Probably around 70% of the time, if i say something funny, or nit funny but clearly intended to be, I'm just amusing myself.

Nicknames like that are defo in that big chunk of the pie.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tala Goodweed View Post
    For someone who English is not his first language. Can you please explain what is the revelation in this comic?
    To what kind of Gauntlet is Roy talking about.

I only know a Gauntlet is like a glove.

So I would appreciate for someone to help explain this comic.

Thanks!
    As others have noted, it can mean an ordeal in general, but in this context I'd say it's specifically the gaming term which refers to a challenge where you must beat a series of discrete levels in a single run.
    Last edited by hrožila; 2023-03-09 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Look I can't be expected to remember which one is spelled 'discreet' and which one is 'discrete'
    ungelic is us

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did Serini ever explain who crafted the espacial displacements of the dungeon? I don't think even an epic rogue like her could have accomplished that on her own.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Did Serini ever explain who crafted the espacial displacements of the dungeon? I don't think even an epic rogue like her could have accomplished that on her own.
    Like Dorukan, she hired contractors.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    As others have noted, it can mean an ordeal in general, but in this context I'd say it's specifically the gaming term which refers to a challenge where you must beat a series of discrete levels in a single run.
    See this.

According to Wikipedia.
    Guantlet the glove is from French.
    Guantlet the ordeal is from Swedish, but the English pronounciation and spelling came to match the glove since that was a familiar term in English.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhan View Post
    Ok, how does this "explore every dungeon to get to the final one" works, in terms of implementation?

Is there some pressure plate in all of the dungeons (that resets after a day or two, otherwise the bugbears would have discovered the gate long ago), and when they are all pressed down the door appears?
    One possibility is that each dungeon "tags" any person who enters it, by some magical mechanism. The final dungeon becomes available to someone who collects all of the "tags". It doesn't work if a bunch of different people collect some of the "tags" each.

The spell description for Magic Mouth is fairly specific about what it can't distinguish. The original AD&D version gave an example of how it could be used, and specified that it could distinguish age: "Speak only when an octogenarian female carrying a sack of groat clusters sits crosslegged within five feet." That example was removed at some point. But it has never been clear how the spell did its sensing, so it might be possible for a Magic Mouth to be triggered in the presence of "someone who has been through each of the dungeons". And it's possible to hide a dungeon behind a Magic Mouth -- for the opened lips to be a gateway. Or at least that's how I've used it, way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    But obviously Serini has another way in there. I doubt she would force herself to do that.
    There's a possibility of a "back door", easy to access, ridiculously implausible to find. "Visit the following sequence of eight doors, in order, without interruption" would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala Goodweed View Post
    For someone who English is not his first language. Can you please explain what is the revelation in this comic?
    To what kind of Gauntlet is Roy talking about.

I only know a Gauntlet is like a glove.
    See what others have posted; but also, the "ordeal" version used to be spelled differently: "gantlet" rather than "gauntlet".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    I know someone made a similar argument against "What if Belkar and Serini are related". Was that you too? I like your sense for good story over random plot twists.
    Probably, and thanks. I have an aversion to-- or more accurately, just find bad writing-- twists whose only justification is "wouldn't it be cool if" / "wouldn't it BLOW YOUR MIND if" and I don't think they're going to be part of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It would continue to be character development. For example, if his dad is more of the kind of monster RC and Xykon where expecting (pre-lowered expectations). Assertive, for example. Or independent-minded, chaffing under Serini's imprisonment (and shortly thereafter under the Quinton's imprisonment). I wouldn't expect his dad to be the catalyst for the heel-face switch, just another stepping stone in his journey towards internalizing that his "friends" are not his friends.

Teal deer, more character development is more good.

GW
    Well, that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    That is almost always the case no matter what, because one generally stops looking when one finds what one is looking for…even when the last place you look happens to be the first place you look.
    I think that's the joke.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Perfect example of "if you don't want to talk to the authorities, dont talk to the authorities. Not 'talk because you don't think you're giving them anything'. DON'T. TALK."
    And Serini, a rogue, ought to know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Why would they?
    I was questioning the apparent presumption that they did {full clears}, not taking that position.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-03-09 at 12:21 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And Serini, a rogue, ought to know that.
    Sure, but class doesn't dictate personality. Her not opting for Shut The **** Up Friday seems like its based purely on her personality.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The only comic that shows the interior of a final room of the dungeons, 1261, only has one remarkable feature, the lamp-looking thing on the ceiling. It may be related to the mechanism that detects if someone has been in every dungeon beforehand.

Or it may not, it all depends on if the Giant thinks the mechanism is important or not. If it is, that thing would be my personal guess.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting.

So having a rogue in charge was itself the shell game.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    The only comic that shows the interior of a final room of the dungeons, 1261, only has one remarkable feature, the lamp-looking thing on the ceiling. It may be related to the mechanism that detects if someone has been in every dungeon beforehand.

Or it may not, it all depends on if the Giant thinks the mechanism is important or not. If it is, that thing would be my personal guess.
    Oooh, good idea Resileaf!

13. - Top - End - #103

The only comic that shows the interior of a final room of the dungeons, 1261, only has one remarkable feature, the lamp-looking thing on the ceiling.
    And a nifty design on the floor.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Shut The **** Up Friday
    Is that related to April Fool's Day?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

And a nifty design on the floor.
    Good eye, I did not notice that. It's also very unique.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Spamalot in the Playground

Doubtful. That's just another way to make it possible for someone to get lucky. Like the Order did almost immediately.
    Agreed. I think the "Final Dungeon" will appear when all the others are cleared, and it's not the Backstage area where the Order are currently.

She also wouldn't risk bringing the paladins (and luring the Order) closer to the real Gate if she can avoid it, even just to amnesia them, because the entire premise of her distrust was that they have gotten every* other Gate they came across until now destroyed.

*except Lirian's

Am i really the only one reading the penultimate panel as the author telling us it doesn't matter? The whatsadoodle switch whixh automatically triggers whenever someone getd to the back toom a a dungeon, why not. The mechanism wont really change anything.
    You're not, but I can still speculate

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    And thus, MiTD actually contributed!

Because his sabotage means that Team Evil has no idea what dungeons were cleared already, and thus, have to start over to ensure that nothing was missed.

Basically, whatever the clock is, he reset it.
    It's possible it was being reset anyway - since the dungeons repopulate over time, it suggests that you have to clear them all within a certain window. (And there I go again, being curious about the clearing/Gate-revealing mechanism.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It is not. Its a video that explains why you dont talk (not nearly the best video, which is SFW and i plug every chance I get, but it has thr benefit of being significantly shorter than sitting in on an L1 class recording, and is a bit pithier).

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

A question that strip raises is the monster respawn method. Does Serini every now and again go forth and get some (which seems odd to me, with her general empathy for monsters) or is it some kind of gating mechanism that opens doors to where those kinds of monsters tend to live?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Interesting.

So having a rogue in charge was itself the shell game.
    No, the caves is a shell game. A shell game is not a game in which you have a 1-in-x chance of guessing right. It is a game that makes you think you have a 1-in-x chance of guessing right, but where you in fact have 0 chance of guessing right, because it is not a guessing game at all. Which is what "pick a door, any door" is. And Xykon fell for it hook, line and sinker, since he thought it was all about "getting lucky" when in fact it was a "do all of them before the monster regenerate" or whatever. Had he kept with his original "1-2 doors a night" he'd never have beaten the dungeon, because it is a shell game and he was never going to "get lucky".

It is not. Its a video that explains why you dont talk.
    Its a video that explains why you don't talk to the US police without a lawyer (the qualifier is kinda important, I feel. It is not a video recommending monastic vows of silence)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-03-09 at 12:44 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Shut The **** Up Friday
    It is not. Its a video....
    I am disappointed this was not your autocorrect's doing. Or was it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's possible it was being reset anyway - since the dungeons repopulate over time, it suggests that you have to clear them all within a certain window. (And there I go again, being curious about the clearing/Gate-revealing mechanism.)
    I'd guess a dynamic timer; one for the whole complex that gets set to its maximum each time a back chamber is first reached, the entrance to the final room isn't revealed until all the (other?) back chambers have been reached, and when the timer expires everything goes back to the "unreached" state.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2023-03-09 at 12:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

No, the caves is a shell game. A shell game is not a game in which you have a 1-in-x chance of guessing right. It is a game that makes you think you have a 1-in-x chance of guessing right, but where you in fact have 0 chance of guessing right, because it is not a guessing game at all. Which is what "pick a door, any door" is. And Xykon fell for it hook, line and sinker, since he thought it was all about "getting lucky" when in fact it was a "do all of them before the monster regenerate" or whatever. Had he kept with his original "1-2 doors a night" he'd never have beaten the dungeon, because it is a shell game and he was never going to "get lucky".
    I think you missed the point I was getting at. The main reason that the Order decided there might be a shell game involved here is that the dungeon is being overseen by a rogue. But it was in honor of a barbarian, so instead of a rogue's shell game, they got a barbarian's gauntlet.

First layer (dungeon at face value): Pick a door, any door.
    Second layer (it's a rogue trying to trick you): Bypass the doors, because none of them are right.
    "Real" layer (in honor of a barbarian): Actually you have to visit *every* door.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2023-03-09 at 12:54 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #112
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ohhhh, is THAT why V detected both conjuration and an element of divination magic when they examined the trap on the door? Is the divination magic there to monitor your progress through each dungeon and track when you've done each one?

And then when it registers you've done all the rest, the last one instead takes you to the final dungeon?
    Last edited by Psepha; 2023-03-09 at 01:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

SolithKnightGuy

Also, this means that while he couldn't have known it, MitD's tactic of painting extra doors would have prevented Reddie and Bones from ever finding the last Gate.
    Even more ironically the MitD would only have had to do it once - which wouldn’t have been caught out by Wrongeye.
    'Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómė!" The night is passing!"

24. - Top - End - #114

Despite the quick dismissal of V's attempt to explain possible mechanisms, I feel like it will actually matter quite a bit. Not in any "how would you make this in the game rules" sense, but "What is the mechanism actually checking for" sense. Though I suppose the implication of impending doom means that whatever the check is, Team Evil will be satisfying it, and maybe it will never need to be delved into.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

It took me a while to understand why Vaarsuvius' comment was supposed to be extremely smart. Then I realised I had read Serini's comment as '"They'll find the entrance in the final dungeon"...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't understand, going through all doors will reveal the location of the actual dungeon, or allow it to be accessed? How? And most importantly, why? Serini must have had to actually put in the effort of putting in place such a mechanism... To make it easier to reach the Gate? But the whole point is that the Scribblers didn't want anyone to get to the Gates.
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show

Lirian attached hers to creatures that could break it in case of an attack.

Dorukan had a self destruct on his, Soon had his in an (conceptually) easy to access place (and seemed isolated from the rest of his group), Girard had his with a whole family who likely knew where it was.

It is possible that all (or nearly all) wanted a method of accessing and destroying their gate in case of emergency and that Serini is no real different designed hers.

At the time they designed the gates they knew a few things a) how to find rifts b) bad guys wanted access to rifts.
    It is possible they were worried about bad guys finding the rifts in the same manner (whatever manner that was 'detect rift?') they did (sealed and gated or not) and exploiting the gates.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    *except Lirian's
    They didn't come across Lirian's gate at all, Psyren.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-09 at 01:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Psepha View Post
    Ohhhh, is THAT why V detected both conjuration and an element of divination magic when they examined the trap on the door? Is the divination magic there to monitor your progress through each dungeon and track when you've done each one?

And then when it registers you've done all the rest, the last one instead takes you to the final dungeon?
    Not necessarily. The conjuration thing is there to transport people (teleportation is a conjuration effect), the divination is propably there to show the "other side" of the portal. On the other hand, there could be another divinatory effect in there that does what you suggest.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Not if "progression" is measured, for example, by reaching the last room of each tunnel. That would just mean Serini didn't think of someone summoning a creature with infinite force wall spells when she set up the progress check, or even if she did, she didn't know how to check "is every creature I put in the tunnel dead" and ahd to go with the approach she could build.
    I would add that, presumably, the only reason the Gate area has an access point is because Serini wants to be able to access it; and she probably doesn't want to be killing all her monsters in that situation.