New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What do *you* do with your RL levels?

The new year brings with it a new level.
    Yay.
    And for the first time, I've actually put the levels together into a single character sheet, rather than assuming it's a new thread by a new person. As I have done 3 years previously. In a row. Without fail.

Anyway, as to not detract from that thread, I wanted to simply ask how you guys "are using" your "real life" levels? (In the context of the shared world of the "You just gained a level in real life" thread series.)

I am undoubtedly profiteering as much as possible off of functionally god-like healing powers, and the ability to wipe out "diseases" (for a given definition of "diseases"). I do not believe that auto-immune disorders are "diseases" in the context of D&D, which all seem to be agent-borne, aka magical, bacterial, fungal or viral.
    Traveling to disaster sites is a fun pass time activity... and there undoubted will be many, given the availability of D&D powers by this 8th year. Even disregarding physics breakers out there.
    I personally, not only do not hide my powers, but actively advertise them. So that I can make a profit from healing people, which funds healing more people, and so on.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What do *you* do with your RL levels?

Keen Intellect* with the Auto Hypnosis rules, DC of 15 to memorise any page I read with the same action it takes to read 800 words.

*technically the 3.5 update only lists PHB Wis Skills being made Int with the Keen Intellect Feat, I assume it would also work with Autohypnosis which is a Psionic expansion and not part of the original PHB.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Using the Pathfinder downtime rules from Ultimate Campaign, I have been buying and building what basically amounts to a small town. With each additional building adding upwards of three gold pieces per day of profit income to my little empire, over three years it has built up to the point where I am earning over 150gp per day. Needless to say, my career as an Arcane Crafter is becoming increasingly easier to afford/achieve. As a third level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item, and a sizable budget, I am working my way through a list of magic items that would make Elminster jealous...starting, of course, with a Headband of Intellect...

I would be very interested in comparing my Spellbooks with those of other arcane spellcasters...never quite managed to get the whole 1st level spell list before having to move on to 2nd level spells...and it is only going to get worse as time goes on...we might have to look more seriously into that Guild idea...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2023-03-22 at 04:24 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I am an 8th level artificer, that retrained from psionic artificer after getting a permanent tattoo of psychic reformation with capacitators, what that means is that I am able to change my feats once a week (which are switched to heavily discount whatever spellcrafting item feat I want or whatever spell I want to pump metamagic into with arcane thesis, and once a year to psionic feats enough to improve the tattoo itself).

While I am a little disappointed that early access spells doesn't work, not getting nines from divine crusader :(. One interesting thing I have found out though is that actual calling spells from outer planes work, by this point I have a proper aviary of elysian thrush. I have been building obscure/secluded bases around the contryside (using wall spells and transmute spells). The bases have a dedicated wright (and potentially a homunculus), a elysian thrush (hey I have insomnia), a quill of scribbing, a gremma's cauldron, and an aspect mirror. Getting to them with dimension door has just been simplified with teleport being available, which probably means that I am expanding my radius of operation into continental level. Most potions are going to be healing/restorative, what I want here is to keep my friends and family healthy in a pinch (like hey, drink this, you will feel better). Most scrolls are going to be discounted spells that I somehow see use but don't want to craft a repeating trap of, or a medium to be turned into a potion, or as a way to get heavily metamagicked spells into a heavily discounted eternal wand.

My item familiar (because why wouldn't I get one) is a dukar hand coral, enhanced to be a trap of spell-storing item and metamagic infusion. I am carrying several rings (with magical gems from magic of faerun) to turn into temporary wands and it's my biggest source of day to day spells. Anything that needs to be heavily metamagicked / heavily discounted is going into an eternal wand. Scholar's touch is probably my most favorite day to day spell.

Other than that another of my favorite items around is presto's hat, basically a glorified spell component pouch. Useful for party tricks, pulling out random stuff. Like optional spell components to cheese out more my metamagicked scrolls.

With currently access to 5th level spells, I am going to be busy, for the first time I get access to a spell level that my spell storing tricks can't grab. And I want access to some of those spells. Teleport for example. Or fabricate (get that into a repeating trap actually). Or animate. Actually, I have my grand father's old walking staff, always liked that one, and it fits the requirements for ancestral relic. I am grabbing ancestral relic, baby!. Putting in it power surge (free charges), unfettered heroism (more free charges with wand surge) and a 5th level spell that I am using ancestral relic rules to change around to whatever I need.

In fact with animate I am probably going to seet out some ambrosia factories, to get more crafting, need to look into that. Also going to start planning my next level, probably grabbing landlord and getting an actual home base.
    Last edited by thethird; 2023-03-22 at 05:36 AM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

It really depends on whether or not I feel comfortable letting people know I have magical powers.

If I don't:
    One level of Artificer means I can make scrolls of second-level spells, meaning I can make a scroll of Guidance of the Avatar and Divine Insight for +28 to a skill check. One level of Wizard means I can cast Skillful Moment to take 20 on that check. That's enough to do pretty much any mundane thing I want to do, be it merely getting rich or taking over the world with Diplomancy. I'd probably go for getting rich.

If I do:
    One level of Artificer means I can make scrolls of Remove Disease, which is probably an easier way to get rich. I haven't been keeping the closest track of my feats, but I could qualify for Craft Universal Item and Chameleon Crafting, which would let me incorporate Remove Disease into Wondrous Architecture, which would be a lot more efficient in the long run. Wondrous Architecture in general is great and I'd want lots of it.

If I'm researching custom spells:
    There's really no way to know what specific spells I can research and how exactly they'll work, but I'm sure I could do something extremely broken. D&D is a game, and the spells presented are designed with that in mind, but there are a lot of things that would potentially make sense from a logical standpoint if not a game-design standpoint. For instance, something like Distilled Joy or Extract Pain without all the inconvenient parts. Even if it's a 9th-level spell, getting it on a spell trap means you can be spamming Wish. Or a version of any existing spell at a lower spell level in exchange for an expensive material component and/or longer casting time, neither of which you'd necessarily care about, depending on the spell. There are all sorts of relatively simple things like that which quickly become broken, to say nothing of a spell that makes you a god or something.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2023-03-22 at 08:36 AM.