New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Death Addict (Spheres build)

An idea inspired by an incredibly uninspired animation.
    It's a character that was once a great warrior, who had been slain and brought back to life. And had gained a very unhealthy habit of doing so. The process of death, that momentary glimpse of transition between animate and inanimate, the exaltation of the final exhalation. Glorious. (But actually being and staying dead? Kind of boring.)
    Until finally, he was warned by the church of two things: 1) his funds had run out, and 2) if he died again, they wouldn't be able to bring him back to life (thanks to negative levels). Oh, and his old friends left him for being such a liability. Better find a new crew to feed the addiction.

Class choices
    Spoiler: Class Chocies
    Show
    Soul Weaver is an obvious option for someone with an obsession with dying. Though perhaps less than one would assume. It does have some good archetype options though.
    Cycle Watcher, with the Channel Ephemera brings all things closer to death. And it captures the ideology of the ephemeral nature of life. But that's about the best it has going for it.
    Ghost Sovern, on the other hand, speaks to the experiences as a powerful warrior in the past, with the power to lead. Also... having made some "friends" in his trips back and forth from this world. And the level 20 Eternal Rule could be just enough of an excuse for him to not just up and jump off a cliff the next time he levels up. (After all, an addict doesn't stop being addicted just because they can no longer afford their habits. But maybe with some friends on the other side helping towards the end goal, it won't be such a temptation.)
    Lichling also works for dumping Con, excusing it as having gone even lower in negative levels than he even had (due to the rule to instead have -4 Con when at minimum level). And being caught in that "in-between" phase of dying is kinda the undead schtick.

I also considered Wraith, for that same undeath vibe. But I honestly am not vibing with it. I honestly think it would feel more fitting if you left the body behind. Could probably get the DM to apply that nerf without much issue, but still.

Mageknight also gives that very natural warrior feel and fluff. But that's about it, and I almost feel at this point I may as well play Spheres of Might. (And while not a bad option, it does not reflect any transformation from the past. Only a regression.)

Ultimately, I choose to go with a Ghost Sovern Soul Weaver. Aside from sounding like an anime attack, it does just kind of feel right.

Race: Human is the obvious choice, because bonus feat. Also, it lets us take the Transformation feat for Anthropomorphic Transformation effect, letting us have 2 traits (which I would choose Undead Body (DR 5/Bludgeoning) and either Undead Resistances or Initiative).
    I would say it really rather fits for someone who has been so heavily affected by their habits. (Also the DR really helps if you do dump Con anyway.)

Spheres:
    Spoiler: Spheres
    Show
    Honestly, I haven't put too much thought into it. I'm kind of picturing that he sold his sword to pay for more rez diamond, and so had to pick up "magic martial arts," by some means. Maybe his spirit friends he brought along with him are helping.
    I would say that Ghost Strikes from Death sphere generally makes sense. Especially given that justification. (In fact, embodying his friends in bodies also makes sense. I just don't like summoners of any sort.)
    And also given that justification, I particularly like the use of Divination sphere, in combination with the Ensouled Divination to make the souls the holders of the divination.
    I do want to try out the War sphere, and see if Ensouled Totems is worthwhile. 10 minutes per level that's freely mobile does seem like a really nice improvement.
    Destruction and Life spheres also seem like good takes by using drawbacks to make them one talent wonders.
    Adapted Telekinesis... could work. But that's perhaps laying too much on the ghosts' shoulders.

Spoiler: Talents
    Show
    (2 talents for being a caster, 1 from level 1 Soul Weaver. 2 war talents from traditions. 1 destruction talents from traditions. 3 life talents from traditions. 1 life talent from class.)

Life sphere
    (Base sphere): Heal for 1d8 + CL as spell point.
    Taste of Victory: Hit a creature in order to spend a spell point to Swift action cast Life sphere ability
    Deep Healing: Heal for extra 1d8
    Sustaining Vitality: (+2 AC / CMD) for a minute after healing.

War sphere
    (Base sphere): All effects traded off. They sucked anyway.
    Totem of Doom: Spell point. No save. AoE shaken (-2 to d20 rolls). Damn, that's good, for a friendly long term AoE debuff.
    Totem of Foresight: Spell point. Each attack roll is instead made against 2 targets, with two different d20 rolls. Choose whichever one you want. For All allies. Again, Ensouled Totem makes this 10 minutes/level, and freely mobile.
    Totem of Shared Sight: Every ally shares perception. Given its relatively small range, that's not supremely great for scouting, but it does mean that all 3-5 of you need to fail perception for anyone to get ambushed.
    Resilient Momentum: 1 momentum to reduce incoming damage by [casting ability mod].

Destruction sphere:
    (Base sphere): Grants Bludgeoning 1d6 melee touch attacks. 2d6 for a spell point. (Basically super monk. Also known as blunted Greatsword. That hits touch.)
    Adhesive Blast - Save or entangle - I like to imagine it as ghostly hands extending from where your hands stop

Spoiler: Casting Traditions
    Show
    (+1 spell point per level)
    General
    (Not taken, but quick word:) Addictive Casting - Man this one sucks. Especially if you dump con. And even if you don't, got it sucks. Pick anything but this. You are addicted to death, not casting. Exception given to long-form campaigns where there can be several in-game days between encounters.
    Anemic - suffer 1 bleeding on taking slashing damage.
    Draining Casting - Suffer 1 hp drain on spending spell points.
    Magical Signs - spooky whispers, chilly air, the works.
    Somatic Casting - Can't wear heavier than light armor without ASF. (He sold the old armor anyway.)
    Verbal Casting - Preach to the choir.

Life specific
    Glorious (must use Taste of Victory)
    Unnatural Remedy (will save against heals)
    Limited Restoration (can't Restore).

Destruction specific
    Destructive Touch (may only apply destruction within natural reach)

War specific
    Commando: Cannot use rallies, gain a momentum talent.
    Alternate Totem: Can't use Totem of War. Gain a totem talent.

... That reminds me. What ability modifier would be his primary casting ability modifier?
    Intelligence... I don't see anything particularly offensive about it. But not compelling either. Wisdom... makes sense for a general cleric... but probably not this one. Charisma? Well, you know, he did manage to convince a bunch of ghosts to help him how, just because. It probably works best, honestly. If in that pitiable sort of way. Sort of like how pugs are so ugly that people find them cute.

Feats:
    Ensouled Totem - Obviously. 30 ft radius, but they auto-follow you, or move up to 40 feet, and last for 10 minutes per class level, while persisting without expending additional spell points. Like hot damn. Totems died for this feat.
    (Permanent) Transformation - As mentioned under Race. It's just such a great feat for fitting just about whatever character you want to play. (Doesn't hurt that it tends to also be better than an average feat. But in the good way, where it helps the character fluff.)
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2023-04-11 at 12:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Death Addict (Spheres build)

On primary casting stat, Cha just makes the most sense. Flavorwise a super-intelligent or super-wise person feels less likely to get addicted to dying. Mechanics wise, Cha will give you more Channeling, which happens to fuel your Proclamation feature.

Also as a Soul Weaver unless I'm missing something you should still have either Life or Death sphere at level 1, but don't see it listed in your talents. I assume you took Death and just didn't list it because it's not much fun until you can invest more talents, but it's hard to say. And you did mention the benefits of the 1 talent dip into Life, hitting that first then diving into death later can be pretty solid.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Death Addict (Spheres build)

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    On primary casting stat, Cha just makes the most sense. Flavorwise a super-intelligent or super-wise person feels less likely to get addicted to dying. Mechanics wise, Cha will give you more Channeling, which happens to fuel your Proclamation feature.

Also as a Soul Weaver unless I'm missing something you should still have either Life or Death sphere at level 1, but don't see it listed in your talents. I assume you took Death and just didn't list it because it's not much fun until you can invest more talents, but it's hard to say. And you did mention the benefits of the 1 talent dip into Life, hitting that first then diving into death later can be pretty solid.
    Oh, no. You are totally right. I did completely forget about that bonus talent.

I would take Glorious, Unnatural Remedy, and Limited Restoration (can't Restore). With the reward talents being Taste of Victory, Deep Healing and Sustaining Vitality (+2 AC / CMD)

(Also, thanks for pointing out the cost to Proclamation feature. I've looked at it again and again, and it didn't seem to have a cost.)