New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Chaotic, High Wisdom

My new character is a Chaotic Neutral Cleric with a very high Wisdom.
    I've been trying to think of a suitable personality for him, but all the Chaotic characters I can think of have low Wisdom (reckless, impulsive, foolish).

Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Chaotic, High Wisdom

Chaotic doesn't have to mean "chaotic". It can instead mean preferring freedom and individual choice over a regimented and structured way of handling things.

So this character could easily be in favor of a more hands-off, ad-hoc approach to solving problems, choosing to give people more freedom so that they can adapt more easily to rapidly changing situations, rather than imposing a rigid plan that cannot flex when necessary.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe some kind of extreme freedom fighter—someone who lives a liberated life and wants to share that liberation with others (even if they don't want it).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I mean Chaotic doesn't necessary mean any specific personality.

high wis just means your perceptive and insightful and so on when it comes to other people. you just use that perceptiveness and insightfulness towards chaotic ends and think through what chaotic beings actually want and desire, as well as be able to understand what other people want and desire, understands other details to accomplish Chaotic ends. what "Chaotic" means is entirely up to interpretation, technically.

though an example of a possible personality is someone who believes there is no greater plan for the universe or anything like that....and is completely at peace with that. they just take whatever strange thing happens as it comes and doesn't mind how messy things are as long as they can help people with what they want, they don't tell people how to live their lives they just help them if they want the help, whatever direction helping them leads, sure they might at times tell people that if they experienced something similar before and know that it is a bad idea because they care about someone and don't want them to like get hurt, but they won't prevent them from making their own decisions, trusting in their friends own ability to be free and make decisions to not make stupid ones.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-04-11 at 10:26 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chaotic in D&D refers more to not following a code of laws set by an organization, whether they are political laws or institutional laws,

For example, arguably Dirty Harry is Chaotic because he’s willing to break any and all rules of policing in order to achieve justice. What does and does not cross Harry’s personal code - torturing suspects is OK, but killing evil doers who have escaped normal justice isn’t - doesn’t seem to map to any consistent external philosophy or set of rules.

To use a movie trope, the rogue cop set achieving their goal despite the restrictions of the department’s rules is a classic chaotic archetype.

So maybe your cleric wants to do [X] and feels the rules of the church are stopping them from achieving their personal goal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

They're so wise that they notice every bit of organizational foolishness baked into existing hierarchies and traditions, and know correctly the better way things should be done. While they can follow societal rules when it serves their goals (they are wise after all), they fundamentally are incapable of actually feeling respect for those rules when they make no sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

What deity does your character follow? Assuming this is a chaotic leaning deity, what aspect of the deity expresses that chaos? Maybe lean into that being what attracted your character to that deity in the first place. A little emulation could go a long way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    I've been trying to think of a suitable personality for him, but all the Chaotic characters I can think of have low Wisdom (reckless, impulsive, foolish).

Any suggestions?
    Go through your mental list of chaotic characters again, but look for "Cunning" instead of "Wise." Wisdom also covers perceptiveness (in PF terms, Perception and Sense Motive are both WIS skills). A character who can notice minute details and quickly turn them to their advantage has high wisdom, in the form of cunning. Charisma might get you through the Bluff check, but Wisdom spots your mark. Intelligence might help you put the clues together and solve the mystery, but it was Wisdom that noticed the mud on the culprit's shoes.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Maybe a walking domino effect? For example, this character always seems to know where to situate themselves to cause the most chaos and disarray.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    They're so wise that they notice every bit of organizational foolishness baked into existing hierarchies and traditions, and know correctly the better way things should be done. While they can follow societal rules when it serves their goals (they are wise after all), they fundamentally are incapable of actually feeling respect for those rules when they make no sense.
    I think we have a winner.,

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You need to blow up your idea of Chaotic and go back to 1st Edtion AD&D basics.

To wit: the conflict between law and chaos is that of large organized groups versus the individual, AKA collectivism versus individualism.

Chaotic Neutral, is in particular, combines individualist bent with disbelief in good or evil; the world is fundamentally unpredictable, and all attempts to give meaning to it beyond the personal are fake. The greatest "good" is for everyone person to be authentically and maximally free.

This has real parallel in words of various existentialist philosophers, for example, Jean-Paul Sartre.

So if you want to play a Chaotic Neutral Cleric, in context a religious warrior-philosopher, take a look at existentialist philosophers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Just be independent and not bogged down by rules, laws and peer pressure. But not bone headed, be flexible and open minded, but not so open minded that your brain falls out
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'd like to point out that RPing a Chaotic High Wisdom pays differently depending on how the GM handle the universe.

If the GM builds a universe where most authority figures are wise and flexible, where the general population is wise enough to never enact stupid rules, while on the other hand as soon as there are no rules and regulations the general population becomes unwise enough to abuse it in every possible way, then any wise person would have an hard time being Chaotic.

On the other hand:
    + Whenever an authority figure is unwise, a chaotic person migh search for an alternative.
    + Whemever an authority figure is inflexible, a chaotic person might show tolerance and/or rebellion.
    + Whenerver the general population enact stupid rules, a chaotic person might oppose them
    + Whenever the general population is wise enough, a chaotic person might argue in favour of deregulation, letting peoples "think for themself", etc.

14. - Top - End - #14

He's not Chaotic Neutral, but Zaheer from the Legend of Korra is my go-to when I think about a Chaotic Evil character with high wisdom. He's all about tearing systems of oppression down, regardless of the consequences of his actions, but he is generally calm, in tune with his emotions, and overall quite spiritual.

Similarly, your Chaotic Neutral character could blatantly disregard and disrespect laws and authority, but not in an "oh I'm so random" manner.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingPirate

For a cleric, how a high-WIS manifests will be heavily dependent on your deity. A chaotic character might be all about tearing down institutions because he thinks institutions are inherently bad, he might be a radical egalitarian who actively seeks to tear down any examples of personal excellence. He could also be someone who finds beauty in disorganization and asymmetry, and thinks that a beautiful statue would be even MORE interesting if it's been tipped over and partially smashed. He could also just be a hedonist who correctly understands that his habits are extremely self-destructive in the long-term, but has decided to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts (which could actually be a pretty wise course for an adventurer, since a high % of them die young).

A high WIS will allow you to see how things are connected and understand people's motivations, but it doesn't dictate how you act on that information.
    Last edited by Slipjig; 2023-04-12 at 08:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Generally, higher Wisdom and Intelligence mean that you've thought more about your alignment than other people... someone with an 11 or lower might well just follow their alignment, but someone with a 12 or higher has probably introspected about this a bit, even if it's just to the extent of "This is why my approach is superior".

Someone with a Chaotic alignment and high Wisdom is usually disciplined enough that they don't have to do things "for the lulz", but an ideological commitment to freedom and opposition to hierarchy is a good chance. "People should choose for themselves; some will make poor choices, but those are THEIR choices, not a poor choice forced on them by someone else. Some will choose evil, but some will choose good, and some will choose not to choose either. The crucial part is their agency as individuals, instead of slaves to a system that does not suit any except those in power."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    This is exactly how the Cleric of Olidammara is played in our Age of Worms game. She constantly violates social norms out of basically a sense that people need to be taken down a peg and not get so inflated by their own egos and bound up by tradition that they feel comfortable unpersoning people (including themselves).

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This is exactly how the Cleric of Olidammara is played in our Age of Worms game. She constantly violates social norms out of basically a sense that people need to be taken down a peg and not get so inflated by their own egos and bound up by tradition that they feel comfortable unpersoning people (including themselves).
    The ideological equivalent is getting to a college class early and sitting in someone else's customary seat. They don't have a real claim to it, save social norm that you get to sit where you usually sit.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

High wisdom and Chaotic are displayed by Professor Bernardo de la Paz in Robert Heinlein's novel The Moon is a Harsh Mistress:

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    Last edited by Jay R; 2023-04-12 at 09:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Chaotic doesn't need to mean reckless. The most recent CN character I played was pretty deliberate and careful in his decisions, liked to make plans, and was generally quite organized.

The foundation of his chaotic outlook was simply:
    "You should always make the best choice in the present, based on the full information available at the moment. Deferring the choice to a less-informed past version of yourself, or to some distant lawmakers, is hiding your head in the sand to avoid responsibility."

So he wouldn't make (true) promises or oaths about important matters, because they'd either be redundant or get broken. He'd make false promises sometimes, because he considered lying to anyone who wasn't his ally a trivial matter. Laws were evaluated in the same way - is there a good reason to follow them right now in the present? Then fine, he'll follow. If not, then they have no weight in his decision.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2023-04-12 at 02:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chaotic Neutral: "Look out for number 1, with no inherent respect for the rules."

The best way to think of this is enlightened self-interest. "I know the rules of society. If I do this action, I will receive a fine if I'm caught. Enforcement is low, and the fine multiplied by the odds of getting caught is an acceptable cost I'm willing to pay for breaking it."

Rules are not sacred; they create transactions. Recognizing that they are transactions, you can look out for you and your own, rather than dogmatically following policy because it's the "right thing to do" or taking stupid risks. The powerful created the rules to keep themselves in power at the cost of suppressing "acceptable target" groups. Whether they meant well or ill doesn't matter; systemic oppression by laws is an inherent evil. Tearing those rules apart systemically to redistribute power is morally right, for the purposes of making the universe more fair. Falling into the traps set by those rules doesn't let you tear them down, it turns you into yet another unsung martyr of them.

Understand them. Break them strategically. Tear down the system where you can. Teach others the truth of rules and how they are made to systemically disempower them, not just the people lower than them on the totem pole, and what they can do about it. And make the universe a more fair place in the process.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Chaotic Neutral: "Look out for number 1, with no inherent respect for the rules."
    See, the problem with that definition is that's a perfect encapsulation of Chaotic Evil.

Chaotic Neutral is a tricky alignment, the description in 2e PH said something along the lines of, "this alignment is primarily composed of madmen". If you are trying to maximize freedom for everyone because you think freedom is inherently beneficial, you are Chaotix Good. If you are looking out only for yourself and don't care about the rules, that's generally Chaotic Evil.

It might be helpful to reverse this process: start by defining what your character is like, and then figure out what alignment fits. Assuming your deity is CN, what characteristics attracted you to this deity that made you want to dedicate your life to worshipping them? It might be that TN, CG, or CE better capture your character.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Slipjig View Post
    Chaotic Neutral is a tricky alignment, the description in 2e PH said something along the lines of, "this alignment is primarily composed of madmen". If you are trying to maximize freedom for everyone because you think freedom is inherently beneficial, you are Chaotix Good. If you are looking out only for yourself and don't care about the rules, that's generally Chaotic Evil.
    My usual line is "How much sacrifice of others is necessary or desirable"? A CN person is likely to have a line where harming another becomes unacceptable, but will not necessarily help someone, either. A Chaotic Evil person will kick you in the face to steal your wallet... a CN person probably won't do that, but they also don't necessarily see a big problem with keeping the wallet you left in the bathroom (or taking the cash and leaving the wallet).
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It's more useful to flip that around: Chaotic Neutral has no inherent desire to hurt others and needs to be pushed over some bar to do so; for Chaotic Evil, that bar is close or at the floor, making it seem they hurt others just because.

25. - Top - End - #25

It's not canon, but if I have to use alignment I go with:

Good vs Evil - are your goals primarily about the wants and needs of others, or are they primarily about your own wants and needs? (With exclusively prioritize even others-wants over my own needs = Good endpoint, prioritizing a mix of others-needs + my needs with occasional wants = lesser Good through lesser Evil spectrum including Neutral, exclusively prioritizing even my wants over the needs of others = Evil endpoint)

Lawful vs Chaotic - are the targets of my goals framed in terms of the structure of society, or the conditions of individuals? E.g. if Good, how much do I see my desired outcomes in terms of 'there are the right social norms/sets of laws/hierarchy of responsibility such that life should be good for everyone' versus e.g. 'is there still someone suffering? Someone unfulfilled? Then there is still work to do, one person at a time'. If I'm a LN thief my ambition might be to create and head the most powerful thieves' guild, to 'make people (as a whole) respect the power of the underworld', etc; if I'm a CN thief I might want to be the best thief, the most powerful thief, the richest thief, but its in terms of what that means individually ('I can order my henchmen to steal something from me!') versus collectively ('our organization has lots of henchmen that can steal all sorts of things!').

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The classic representation of a chaotic neutral person with high wisdom is an isolated hermit, wandering monk, or starving artist. This is often someone who is fully aware that society is beneficial and even necessary for the majority but who, for whatever reason, just can't handle it. The idea of performing the same tasks over and over every day, or committing to the study of some specific set of texts, or even a regular schedule of religious ritual is too much, their very body and soul rebel against the idea of such regimentation. Also, because they are neutral, not good, they tend not to be very nice, often finding other people too much to handle and the general rules of social interaction like politeness burdensome and pointless. These are the kinds of characters that spout sage wisdom that, while often very difficult to counter, is liable to get them smacked around by the local authorities or even executed (there is a strong tendency in literature of such characters being used as mirrors primarily to reveal the opinions of a ruler, only to get executed when they cross the line).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

The seemingly foolish or mad man who always manages to have his "random" behaviors work out is high Wis (or Int) and Chaotic, too. If you want the impulsive-seeming person, lean into acting with unspoken plans and setting things up without explanation until the dominos start falling.

28. - Top - End - #28

I'd say sort of a trickster as the personality

EDIT:
    Or an absurdist, or hedonist, or cynic philospher
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-04-15 at 10:55 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

29. - Top - End - #29

...See: Tom Hiddleston (Loki).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    ...See: Tom Hiddleston (Loki).
    Loki is often very LOW wisdom. He makes very foolish choices. He is high Charisma, though, because even when people don't like him, he can still manipulate them into doing what he wants.