New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Eclectic / Fun Builds II: Lightning Boogaloo

(No promises as to effectiveness this time )

The original build collection thread was locked due to page length - and mayhap a reduction in interest from the original creator(s)? - but consider this a spot where all and sundry can throw out and/or discuss any build ideas they want to share with the forum community. Feel free to discuss or revisit any of the older builds from the locked thread here as well if you prefer.

No hard requirements/format; If your goal is for people to try out your build in actual play, consider sticking to 27 point buy/standard array as well as first-party sources - but I'm not the build police! I have nothing against reading an interesting third-party subclass after all. If your build does something cool at a particular level/breakpoint, feel free to highlight that. And of course, have fun.

To get things started, here's a build I threw together a while back based on Evergreen from the wizard manga Fairy Tail. My goal was to get as many of her iconic abilities into the build as possible, which it turns out was fairly straightforward to do.

Spoiler: Evergreen - Fairy Tail
    Show

Fairy Warlock 13 (Fey Pact)
    27 PB: Str 8 Dex 14 Con 13+1 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 15+2
    Pact Boon: Any (I picked Talisman for her glasses, and her fan is her casting focus, but feel free to change things up)

In the original story she's a human who merely wants to be a fairy - but it's D&D, we can do better than that Besides, her first two abilities fit Fairy to a tee.

1) Constant Flight + Size Change - Fairy Racials
    Straightforward, Fairies get both racial concentration-free flight and Enlarge/Reduce. She can use this to grow or shrink as needed as she zips around.

2) Stone Eyes - Flesh to Stone
    Again, straightforward, as this is on the base Warlock list, so she grabs this as her 6th-level Mystic Arcanum.

3) Fairy Machine Gun: Leprechaun - Crown of Stars + Eldritch Blast
    This is a barrage of energy projectiles. Since only a few of them tend to hit anyway, I figure CoS+EB gets us close enough. If you want even more, consider Metamagic Adept to twin or quicken your EB instead. CoS will be her 7th-level Arcanum.

4) Fairy Bomb: Gremlin - Hellish Rebuke
    This is a single-target explosion she tends to use when hit/attacked, so I felt this was the most reasonable approximation on the Warlock list.

Other spells and feats are PYF.

...and that's the build! Let's see some of yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eclectic / Fun Builds II: Lightning Boogaloo

First, thanks for starting the thread and especially linking the old one. Also, I said this and I meant it:
    Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Looking forward to it!
    Anyway, I've always enjoyed some Disney and years ago started working on creating various characters within the boundaries of 5e. Here's one...

Ursula (The Little Mermaid)

TL;DR: Triton, Courtier, Chain Pact, Fathomless Warlock 14/Glamour Bard 6 (ALL Charisma skills)

Spoiler
    Show

Start with Triton as the race. Amphibious, for breathing air and water (quite important), fog cloud for some inking episodes, and the racial name is just hilarious.

You can take a different background (for similar effect), but I'm going with Courtier for Insight and Persuasion. Class skills are definitely Deception and Intimidation.

Ability Scores can spread sort of however you'd like as long as there's plenty of Charisma.

Level 1: Starting out with Warlock, and you guessed it, Fathomless!

Invocations: Mask of Many Faces and Voice of the Chain Master are the important ones here. (You could also go with Investment of the Chain Master for additional fancy tricks including theswim speed, though that doesn't solve the water-breathing concern.)

Oh, you figured out already that we're taking Pact of the Chain? Yes, indeed. Flotsam and Jetsam are very useful indeed. (But, you know, we only have one. Cast flock of familiars if'n your heart desires.)

So, that pretty much gets us all we really need for the build!

I don't recall exactly how I worked in the idea of contracts, but here's the rest of what I decided upon (for now):

Take an early level or three of Bard, grab the Performance skill and take some expertise (I choose Deception and Persuasion).

Take 14 levels for Fathomless capstone, and 6 levels for Glamour Bard. All set!

Coming back to this, I remembered a couple things. Warlock 10/Bard 10 makes the Geas spell available from the Bard spell list and this opens up Magical Secrets. While the Fathomless capstone is neat, it may not be particularly accurate, so there's a bit of preference variation.
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-04-22 at 10:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

So I stumbled across this one on a Youtube channel - the Autoshield Hunter? That name seems a bit technological, but anyway.

Goliath Hunter 7

Hunters have a subclass feature called Multiattack Defense - if they're hit, they automatically get +4 AC against all remaining hits from the same creature. It's sort of a poor man's Shield spell, but doesn't use your reaction.

Goliath meanwhile, has the ability (Stone's Endurance) to reduce the damage they take on one hit by 1d12+Con, PB/LR.

So the idea is that a nasty boss monster tries to shred you - you soak the first hit with your racial, Hunter's MD triggers, and all the rest of their attacks have much less chance to hit, leaving you quite tanky. And for the ones that get through, you have decent armor and d10 HD.

Ideally you'd be in melee to encourage things to hit you; you can further enhance this by going sword and board, or you can TWF instead.

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    First, thanks for starting the thread and especially linking the old one. Also, I said this and I meant it:

Anyway, I've always enjoyed some Disney and years ago started working on creating various characters within the boundaries of 5e. Here's one...

Ursula (The Little Mermaid)

TL;DR: Triton, Courtier, Chain Pact, Fathomless Warlock 14/Glamour Bard 6 (ALL Charisma skills)

Spoiler
    Show

Start with Triton as the race. Amphibious, for breathing air and water (quite important), fog cloud for some inking episodes, and the racial name is just hilarious.

You can take a different background (for similar effect), but I'm going with Courtier for Insight and Persuasion. Class skills are definitely Deception and Intimidation.

Ability Scores can spread sort of however you'd like as long as there's plenty of Charisma.

Level 1: Starting out with Warlock, and you guessed it, Fathomless!

Invocations: Mask of Many Faces and Voice of the Chain Master are the important ones here. (You could also go with Investment of the Chain Master for additional fancy tricks including theswim speed, though that doesn't solve the water-breathing concern.)

Oh, you figured out already that we're taking Pact of the Chain? Yes, indeed. Flotsam and Jetsam are very useful indeed. (But, you know, we only have one. Cast flock of familiars if'n your heart desires.)

So, that pretty much gets us all we really need for the build!

I don't recall exactly how I worked in the idea of contracts, but here's the rest of what I decided upon (for now):

Take an early level or three of Bard, grab the Performance skill and take some expertise (I choose Deception and Persuasion).

Take 14 levels for Fathomless capstone, and 6 levels for Glamour Bard. All set!

Coming back to this, I remembered a couple things. Warlock 10/Bard 10 makes the Geas spell available from the Bard spell list and this opens up Magical Secrets. While the Fathomless capstone is neat, it may not be particularly accurate, so there's a bit of preference variation.
    Question I meant to ask you about this one - is Bard just there for the Geas to represent Ariel's contract? I think you could finagle something similar (albeit shorter in duration, but still long enough to cover the film kinda) with Bestow Curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Question I meant to ask you about this one - is Bard just there for the Geas to represent Ariel's contract? I think you could finagle something similar (albeit shorter in duration, but still long enough to cover the film kinda) with Bestow Curse.
    Alright, so I definitely considered that but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it, and can really be accomplished by exactly what you stated. Instead, have a look at the Glamour Bard features. Enthralling Performance (3) and Mantle of Majesty (6). Now, I know so many Disney characters have their own song and all that, so it's like they all took levels in Bard or at least proficiency in Performance. Anyway to my point...

Her performance inclines Ariel to accept the rather outrageous terms (considering countless shriveled merfolk present). It also allows her (on top of the unlimited disguise) to easily enchant Eric. I hope that helps!

I was going to drop in another character concept here that I wanted to share, but I need to look over the details again. If there hasn't been another post in that time, I'll just edit this one.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

This isn't so much a coherent high concept build as it is reporting on how a build I've seen speculated about has been going for me.

Spoiler: The Debuff Chainlock
    Show

Subclass: Undead Warlock
    Pact: Chain (Sprite)
    Notable Invocations: Investment of the Chain Master
    Notable Spells: Bane

One of the big problems with Bane as a spell is that even if they fail the save, concentrating on Bane means you're limited on how you can take advantage of their lowered saves. You also usually have to wait until next turn before you're forcing another save. Investment of the Chain Master gets around both of those problems, and between that and Form of Dread this build has ways of forcing saves against debilitating effects multiple times a round for very reasonable resource expenditure. Bane and Sprite Poison have extra synergy since you get an extra effect if their save is low enough.

Is Bane actually important to this build (or even that good, even here)? Maybe not! You can do the Sprite thing on any subclass and it will be good against things that aren't immune, I just wanted to try and KO people with the poison. It's been effective so far

Pros:
    - Synergy with allied spellcasters
    - You will absolutely ruin the day of anybody trying to make attack rolls
    - Investment is pretty low to the ground, you've got room in the build to have other things going on. I'm playing a social monster with Mask of Many Faces and Actor.
    - Strong early. Unlike builds that take time to mature, once you hit 3 you're pretty much fully online.
    - The Undead warlock's durability has impressed me.

Cons:
    - Your debuffs don't hinder non-attackers much. They've started giving spellcasting NPCs dangerous attack options, but if they're casting actual spells then they don't really care.
    - Immunity to Poisoned and Frightened are not uncommon.
    - Your sprite's attack bonus doesn't scale, and its very fragile compared to the other Chain options.

I don't think I'm going to have the money to play around with Summon Undead before the game I'm in ends, but it seems like it would be kind of awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Little Mermaid made me think of her best friend...Sora von Kingdom Hearts, Keyblade Master.

Well, keyblade something anyway.

Build goal: Frontline fighter/healer.
    Final build: V.Human Fighter 2/Celestial Bladelock 14/Swords Bard 4
    Level Progression: Fighter 1->Warlock 5->Bard 4->Warlock+9->Fighter +1

Sora starts without his keyblade and just a (wooden) longsword, trades it up when he becomes a Wielder (Celestial Lock), briefly loses it again but gets help from his friends (Bard) and then goes on to become a keyblade master. At level 20 he unlocks Action Surge to hit twice in one turn. What a champ!

Starting Stats (PBuy)
    Str 15, Dex 13+1 (14), Con 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 13+1 (14)
    V.human feat: Inspiring Leader
    Background: Folk Hero or Sailor.
    Background Skills: Persuasion, Performance
    Background proficiency: Water (and air, if possible) vehicles.

Sora is strong, agile, not particularly hardy, and charismatic.

Between Inspiring Leader, Celestial Resistance, Interception Fighting Style and Healing Light, Sora should be churning out a good amount of temporary and non-temporary hit points/damage reduction. He gets a decent whack of magic, some offensive, some not, and for the most part he'll be bladetripping for reasonable consistent damage from 2nd level. The bard levels serve to boost his Face skills, with BI dice either going to party boosts (his friends are his power!) or flourishes because he's a slashy guy.

Features/Recommended spells:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fighter: Athletics/Acro Proficiency (Sora is athletic!), grab a longsword for your weapon, and Interception fighting style to protect his friends.

Warlock:-
    Invocations:

2nd - Fiendish Vigor, Beast Speech (gotta talk to Donald+Goofy somehow...). If you want to stay true to no-armour Sora, you can trade out one of these for Armour of Shadows instead.
    5th - Gift of the Depths (Sora is an excellent swimmer, also Atlantica).
    7th - Improved Pact Weapon (if no magic longswords available yet), otherwise Trickster's Escape/Eldritch Smite to taste.
    9th - Otherworldly Leap. Sora is really good at Jumping.
    12th - Lifedrinker

Spells:
    Cantrips - Greenflame Blade, Booming Blade. Sora's a slashy guy.
    1st - Cure Wounds (Cure), Armor of Agathys (Blizzard/Aero), Expeditious Retreat (Sora go fast)
    2nd - Shatter (Thunder), Flaming Sphere (Fire)
    3rd - Fly (thanks Tinkerbell), Revivify (Phoenix Down), Summon Fey (calling in friends)
    4th - Guardian of Faith (calling in another Summon)
    5th - Hold Monster (Stop!), Greater Restoration (Esuna/Remedy)
    6th (MA) - Investiture of Wind (Aero)
    7th (MA) - Crown of Stars (Holy), or Plane Shift (because you travel between worlds)

Bard:-
    Expertise goes into Persuasion and Athletics.
    Dueling Fighting Style.
    Spells:
    Cantrips: Support/Utility stuff. Sora's getting better at magic at this point.
    1st - Animal Friendship, Feather Fall, Silvery Barbs (or Heroism, if that's a no-go), Longstrider
    2nd - Aid, Hold Person (Stop!)

ASIs, based on character level
    5th - Athlete or Slasher (+Strength)
    10th - +2 Strength
    13th - +2 Strength (maxed out)
    17th - +2 Cha

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The King

(art by me!)

Summary: Explosive Wrestler

Overview:
    Race:Clineage (Human)
    Class: Battlemaster 6 / Wildfire Druid X
    Starting Stats: 16/10/16/8/14/10
    Feats: HAM, Tavern Brawler, Crusher/Skill Expert/Lucky/Sentinel
    Fighting Style: Unarmed
    Maneuvers: Commanding Presence, Trip Attack, Commander's Strike
    Must-have magic item: Eldritch Claw Tattoo
    Spells: Magic stone, guidance, faerie fire, longstrider, absorb element, spike growth

Playstyle:

Yeah, look, this isn't optimal. I'm not going to try to sell you on crazy damage numbers here. What this build can do is ruin one specific dude's day really really really effectively. In the early game you're just really really hard to kill with HAM making you a brick wall that most early game enemies can't do anything to circumvent. Normal low level fighter stuff taken to the extreme.

Once you get to level 4 you've got the trip attack + tavern brawler combo online, which locks a foe into a state where they can't get off the floor. Remember that when you hit a flying opponent, trip attack powerbombs them to earth. Commanding Presence is amazingly strong at this level, and in a pinch you can play the role of party face in spite of your +0 CHA mod. (remember, in a social scenario you can usually count on getting a short rest shortly thereafter - so go wild with this.) Commander's Strike is a nuke with a rogue in the party and also opens up lots of strong combos.

Problems: you're not very mobile and you can't do anything about many non-BSP damage sources, which cuts into your tankiness (you also lack a shield.) Cue Druid levels! Longstrider makes you faster, Wildfire gives you a teleport, goodberry and such are utility. OA blocks those nasty elemental bombs. You can even go faerie fire and action surge into a burst turn. You can cast spike growth, action surge, attack someone twice, grapple as a bonus action, then use rake them across the spikes for 20 feet (movement enhanced by longstrider)

This build isn't really super strong, but it's fun and has tools for most situations. you're basically a luchador, complete with charismatic poses, grapples, throws, flying power bombs (oh yeah even the jump spell can be fun). Your role is to exploit your movement to run down priority targets and lock them down. It's a similar gimmick to a monk but with a whole lot more beef.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2023-05-14 at 12:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: *violent, repeated, headbutts*

Ogres don't to 'bumps'.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"God Hand" Kyle, He Who Punches the Drywall of Reality.

Dao Genie Warlock 2+ / Dragon Sorcerer 4+ / Fighter 2+
    Required Feats: Gunner or Crossbow Expert, Crusher.
    Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast
    Metamagic: Quickened

This is my classic Warlock "Monk", updated with Post-Tasha options.
    Your spell selections really don't matter, because the entire point of the build is to burn sorcery points to quicken Eldritch Blast, and hit people multiple times from 0-120 feet away and send them flying. That said, this would be one of the few places I would suggest using Hex. Thematically, anything that connects with punching holes or being super-cool is on brand.
    Dao Genie patron is for the extra push available through crusher (and a spot of bludgoning damage so you know you're being punched), but Hexblade is completely acceptable for the extra edginess. If you advance Warlock, Blade or Talisman are your options - you'd never bother with books, and nobody trusts you to take care of a pet.
    Any sorcerer will do, but Dragon provides a little extra HP and AC without using "wussy" armor options, plus dragons are badass.
    Fighter is for Action Surge for when you really need to hit someone a lot, and gets you sword proficiency, because swords are cool.

For magic items, I recommend two Rods of the Pact Keeper, preferably attached to each other with a chain, for a couple extra pact slots to burn. Pelor help your DM if they let you have Illusionist's Bracers.

For the complete effect, I recommend calling out your attacks, and naming them after various flavors of energy drink. For example, the Quick EB/Action EB/Surge EB combo was "Monster Zero Khaos Ultra"
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

10. - Top - End - #10

The Unsubtle Spy

Rogue 1/Rune Knight 3

Sometimes the key to acting in the shadows is to appear uninteresting so no one is particularly interested in what you're up to. Another approach is to be so obvious and transparent in your intentions that no one suspects that there might be a deeper game going on. The Rune Knight fighter has some very powerful enhancements to subterfuge while having a very bombastic and unsubtle combat style which can potentially cause your enemies to underestimate your ability to be canny. If your game looks like its going to heavily involve intrigue, this character build offers a way to excel at that without relying on spellcasting.

Class Order: Start with Rogue, then go into Fighter.
    Abilities: Dex should be highest, with at least a 14 in Con and Charisma
    Skills: Deception for sure, then pick from Acrobatics, Slight of Hand, Persuasion, Insight, Perception, Investigation or Stealth.
    Tools: If you think you can make use of them, take Disguise Kit and Forgery Kit from your background. You'll have Thieves' Tools from Rogue.
    Runes: Cloud (advantage on deception and sleight of hand, redirect an attack) and either Fire (double all tool proficiencies and restrain when you hit) or Stone(darkvision, advantage on insight and an incapacitate ability). Double proficiency on tools is a rare thing to get, but you'd need a specific game or to really work to get the most out of this.
    Expertise: Again, Deception is key but your second choice will vary based on what you want to do. Take Sleight of Hand if you want to maximize your strengths. If you plan on taking the Stone rune, expertise in Insight will make you among the best at it even with no Wisdom investment.

At level 4, you've got advantage on Deception and Sleight of Hand, and either double proficiency with your Thieves' Tools, Forgery Kit and Disguise Kit or advantage on Insight. These "always on" enhancements are very difficult to replicate.

Later levels: Keep advancing in Fighter, but it's worth it to go up to Rogue 3 at some point; after Fighter 5, 6 or 7 are all good points for this. I like Swashbuckler for a Rogue subclass since that fits well with a bombastic persona that is hiding a subtler agenda, but really any of them could work.

Items: If you went Fire rune and find you're using your spy kits, a Headband of Intellect will catapult you to the best of the best with those. Having a decent bonus to Investigate and the various Knowledge skills is also valuable in a social and intrigue focused game.
    Last edited by solidork; 2023-07-27 at 02:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    If your game looks like its going to heavily involve intrigue, this character build offers a way to excel at that without relying on spellcasting.
    I am... intrigued!

Class Order: Start with Rogue, then go into Fighter.
    Hmm. Dex instead of con save prof... I am reserving judgement till I see what you'll do with the extra skill.

Skills: Deception for sure, then pick from Acrobatics, Slight of Hand, Persuasion, Insight, Perception, Investigation or Stealth.
    I always end up dropping acrobatis for athletics. Even for the characters who will do acrobatic stuff.
    Performance is an excellent skill that too often goes under the radar (I've seen too many times deception used at its place). Solid picks.

ps: While stealth proficiency is by now way mandatory, "X or stealth" seems like a trick of some sort. I am on to you.

Tools: If you think you can make use of them, take Disguise Kit and Forgery Kit from your background. You'll have Thieves' Tools from Rogue.
    Nice, nice. Took weaver once for a spy character. Used it a lot too. Though I was playing a lot with disguises.

Runes: Cloud and either Fire or Stone. Double proficiency on tools is a rare thing to get, but you'd need a specific game or to really work to get the most out of this.
    Once upon a time I had skimmed through rune knight and I remember I liked rune of stone and cloud. What do they do though?

Expertise: Again, Deception is key but your second choice will vary based on what you want to do. Take Sleight of Hand if you want to maximize your strengths. If you plan on taking the Stone rune, expertise in Insight will make you among the best at it even with no Wisdom investment.
    Persuasion is great candidate for expertise. I like thinking of deception as the spy's AC and of persuasion as the attack bonus.

Any cool ideas for slight of hand?

At level 4, you've got advantage on Deception and Sleight of Hand, and either double proficiency with your Thieves' Tools, Forgery Kit and Disguise Kit or advantage on Insight. These "always on" enhancements are very difficult to replicate.
    Yep, ability checks are very powerful.

Later levels: Keep advancing in Fighter, but it's worth it to go up to Rogue 3 at some point; after Fighter 5, 6 or 7 are all good points for this. I like Swashbuckler for a Rogue subclass since that fits well with a bombastic persona that is hiding a subtler agenda, but really any of them could work.
    You'd think mastermind would fit nicely, but then again they give them their defining social feature at level 17. Boo!

Items: If you went Fire rune and find you're using your spy kits, a Headband of Intellect will catapult you to the best of the best with those. Having a decent bonus to Investigate and the various Knowledge skills is also valuable in a social and intrigue focused game.
    Now that you mentioned investigate. Observant. Great feat. Read lips is good on spies too!

===============

The build is solid. But put the dots together and tell us what kind of stuff will this character be doing.
    For example, my favourite spy trope is the spy who is everyone's favourite friend. Well, not everyone's. We are still killing bad guys (not the ones we are working for, other bad guys) because we are obviously a hero. So I'll put some emphasis on persuasion and from then on it's mostly rp (oh, and buy in from the rest of the group). Another trope I like is the master of disguises (working for the party), who at the extreme I can use to attempt to kill npc's and take their place in the world, possibly feeding my party information or leveraging the npc's power to my party's benefit. Downside is that there might be sessions where you have to join with a replacement character, but I've found the experience enjoyable. Etc Etc. So what sort of delicious mischief is your spy going for?
    Hacks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here's one I've been thinking about for a campaign coming up.

Nigel, Inheritor of the Blood Legion

Build goal: Slippery "evasion tank"
    Final build: Halfling Rogue 17 (soulknife) / Barbarian 3 (ancestral guardian)
    Level Progression: Rog2 > Bbn3 > Rog17

Nigel was an unassuming halfling janitor. He enjoyed tea with crumpets, cribbage, and bragging about his distant relations, a famously dangerous warrior tribe back in the Old Country. But one day, unbeknownst to him, the last relation in that tribe halfway across the globe kicked the bucket - and his supernatural heirloom, the Ghostblade of Agandria, reverted to him as the closest heir to the ancient bloodline. Meaning one day, he accidentally punches through a wall trying to make his morning coffee and then the spirits of his (largely unimpressed) warrior ancestors start talking to him. Now they're telling him he has to go take back some throne or another to maintain the tribe's honor. Thankfully, the spirits of the ancestors and the mystic blade itself do a lot of the work helping him out...

Mechanically, the concept is that rogues have a lot of mobility that makes them good and hit-and-run tactics, but their damage is mediocre so they don't have a lot of impact when the DO hit. But what if their one decent hit a round did a massive debuff on top of the mediocre damage, encouraging enemies to chase them all over the place? So conceptually, this guy is tossing a dagger or getting in a quick stab and then running for his life each round while his ancestral spirits protect him.

Starting Stats (array)
    Str 15+2 (17), Dex 13+1 (14), Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills: Rogue Stuff
    Note: his stats are high-strength, which I'm playing off as supernatural (even though mechanically it's not).

Progression: start as Rogue for skills and then Cunning Action, because fleeing is this guy's bread and butter. Next get barbarian to level 3, which gives you Rage, Reckless Attack, and most importantly, the Ancestral Guardian subclass. From there, it's straight rogue. I picked the Soulknife subclass because the psychic stuff and magic ghost blade fit well with the theme I'm going for, and it's also one of the mechanically best rogue subclasses.

In combat you rage, get in a hit against the most dangerous melee threat each round, and then scramble away so he either has to attack for half damage with disadvantage or try to chase you down. Reckless Attack lets you Sneak Attack every round, and you can usually toss a (psychic) dagger to trigger Ancestral Protectors and then run and/or hide. Rogue stuff gives you the mobility you need to avoid too much melee, and you're raging so you can take the occasional hit when you need to.
    Last edited by ZRN; 2023-07-27 at 01:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZRN View Post
    Best combat role that ever existed. I mean it.

I get that soulknife carries some flavor from the description below. But putting character concept aside, does it offer any good synergies? For example, I am thinking that BB (eg from arcane trickster) would be a nice addition to the way the build plays. And even though extra attack would not be an amazing dpr boost (since you'll be attacking with advantage often anyway), it would still be great for grapples (pair it with expertise, advantage when raging, and increased movement to drag your opponent further when needed).

ps: Ah, I get it. The throwing knives allow you to not even engage in melee. Little bit of redundancy with reckless attack. I'd still favor reckless + BB + wood elf but that's more personal taste than anything else.

Nigel was an unassuming halfling janitor. He enjoyed tea with crumpets, cribbage, and bragging about his distant relations, a famously dangerous warrior tribe back in the Old Country. But one day, unbeknownst to him, the last relation in that tribe halfway across the globe kicked the bucket - and his supernatural heirloom, the Ghostblade of Agandria, reverted to him as the closest heir to the ancient bloodline. Meaning one day, he accidentally punches through a wall trying to make his morning coffee and then the spirits of his (largely unimpressed) warrior ancestors start talking to him. Now they're telling him he has to go take back some throne or another to maintain the tribe's honor. Thankfully, the spirits of the ancestors and the mystic blade itself do a lot of the work helping him out...
    Dont forget to have him praise Tymora at the end of every fight. For keeping him alive that is. Stupid ancestry and mystical powers got him in trouble, so it would make sense for him to want to think that someone's on his corner and keeps an eye out for him.

If at any point you have he has a personality shift, I strongly recommend adding an irritating laughter every time you disengage from a cursed enemy.

Mechanically, the concept is that rogues have a lot of mobility that makes them good and hit-and-run tactics, but their damage is mediocre so they don't have a lot of impact when the DO hit. But what if their one decent hit a round did a massive debuff on top of the mediocre damage, encouraging enemies to chase them all over the place? So conceptually, this guy is tossing a dagger or getting in a quick stab and then running for his life each round while his ancestral spirits protect him.
    Yes. You just made me miss 4e.

Concept aside, I could see a wood elf being good here. Elven accruracy and the speed boost would be very handy. Plus, they have that other trait that makes them great in natural obscurement.

In combat you rage, get in a hit against the most dangerous melee threat each round, and then scramble away so he either has to attack for half damage with disadvantage or try to chase you down. Reckless Attack lets you Sneak Attack every round, and you can usually toss a (psychic) dagger to trigger Ancestral Protectors and then run and/or hide. Rogue stuff gives you the mobility you need to avoid too much melee, and you're raging so you can take the occasional hit when you need to.
    With the rage on you could opt to end your movement close to a different enemy than the one you hit. Choose the one with the highest attack bonus (so that rage will work better) if you can have an idea of the enemies' attack bonuses. Or use rage and avoid hit and run. That's to make the best of your few rages if you want (unless I am missing anything). You could explain the change in behaviour as the curse/ghost taking over you sometimes (or inspiring you with overwhelming confidence/bravery).
    Hacks!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hmm. Dex instead of con save prof... I am reserving judgement till I see what you'll do with the extra skill.

I always end up dropping acrobatis for athletics. Even for the characters who will do acrobatic stuff.

ps: While stealth proficiency is by now way mandatory, "X or stealth" seems like a trick of some sort. [COLOR="#0000FF"]I am on to you.
    You really do want as many skills as you can get your hands on. If you're starting with a race that gives additional skills (think Half Elf or Tabaxi) and you've got your bases covered then starting Fighter for Con proficiency isn't a bad idea. I'd personally also want to take a knowledge skill like History, because it feels weird to me to be a political agent who has a poor grasp on events and the major players, it's just that I get the feeling that History is something that will vary in usefulness at different tables.

Once upon a time I had skimmed through rune knight and I remember I liked rune of stone and cloud. What do they do though?
    Cloud gives you advantage on Deception and Sleight of Hand all the time, as well as a 1/sr ability to redirect a successful attack to any target within 30ft. Obviously great in any game where theres fighting, but also an interesting tool in a cloak and dagger game.

Stone gives you 120ft darkvision, advantage on Insight and an ability to incapacitate someone in a fashion very similar to Hypnotic Pattern - they're charmed, incapacitated and their speed is 0, though they get repeated saves.

Fire gives you double proficiency on tools and the ability to restrain someone with fiery shackles when you hit them. Not a subtle active ability in the least, but powerful and effective.

Any cool ideas for slight of hand?
    Slipping people notes, picking their pockets and any general feat of manual dexterity usually falls under sleight of hand. I'm playing in the recently released campaign that is a bunch of heists, and picking peoples' pockets has been a pretty big deal in several of them.

The build is solid. But put the dots together and tell us what kind of stuff will this character be doing.
    For example, my favourite spy trope is the spy who is everyone's favourite friend. Well, not everyone's. We are still killing bad guys (not the ones we are working for, other bad guys) because we are obviously a hero. So I'll put some emphasis on persuasion and from then on it's mostly rp (oh, and buy in from the rest of the group).
    To give you an idea of where I was at when I first considered this combination, I'm currently making a character for a one shot that draws heavily on Zorro and the Count of Monte Cristo - both swashbuckling adventures that have an element of a secret identity. You could go as far as to have a full second identity - noble who makes subtle political moves as themselves and makes bolder moves as a masked giant vigilante - or something more reserved where you present yourself as a brash and charming but uncomplicated as a smokescreen to get people to underestimate you and mask your subtler moves.

I think the ideal situation would be to pair up with another player who is playing someone with status and setting yourself up as their jovial friend/bodyguard/rival.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tong pô, the one who open the 7 gates of kharma:
    Guardian aasimar astral self monk 12, rune knight4, bladesong wizard 4.

Posology: take 3 levels of rune Knight, so you can turn on a large humanoid (first gate)
    And now, 3 levels in bladesinger wizard, this willgive us inteligence on AC(second gate), and other bonus

Continue taking 3 astral self monk levels. (The arms are the 3rd gate)
    Here the engines go on: grow to large, use the arms of astral self, the bladesong bonus, the aasimar transformation, the fire rune, and things will go realy wield.

At the next levels take the monk to 5, fighter to 4 and wizard to 4. And up monh until 12.
    The AC bonis acumulate, and you will have AC 27, a damage of 1d12(large unarmed)+level(radiant)+5 wisdow+2d6 fire from rune. In a total 5 attacks per round(2 base+3 from flury of blows) and you can deflect ani misles returning them with YOURS damage. 120ft darkvision. Giant passive perception and insight.
    And a REALY stylish character

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Best combat role that ever existed. I mean it.

I get that soulknife carries some flavor from the description below. But putting character concept aside, does it offer any good synergies? For example, I am thinking that BB (eg from arcane trickster) would be a nice addition to the way the build plays. And even though extra attack would not be an amazing dpr boost (since you'll be attacking with advantage often anyway), it would still be great for grapples (pair it with expertise, advantage when raging, and increased movement to drag your opponent further when needed).
    Remember, no spellcasting while raging, so AT doesn't work so well. You could definitely make a case for some other subclasses - phantom would work okay with some reflavoring, and thief or mastermind could have some benefits - but it's mostly the non-attack abilities that draw me to soulknife. The group telepathy is just cool, the skill bonuses help make up for the fact that you've got lower dex than a straight rogue, and eventually teleporting around helps with the mobility focus of this build. Attack-wise, the level 9 Homing Strikes can help assure you really do land a blow.

ps: Ah, I get it. The throwing knives allow you to not even engage in melee. Little bit of redundancy with reckless attack. I'd still favor reckless + BB + wood elf but that's more personal taste than anything else.
    Yeah, this build tries for options - when you have the chance to melee you can use Reckless, but when you don't have a spare bonus action for Disengage it might be better to stay back and toss your soulblade(s).

Dont forget to have him praise Tymora at the end of every fight. For keeping him alive that is. Stupid ancestry and mystical powers got him in trouble, so it would make sense for him to want to think that someone's on his corner and keeps an eye out for him.

If at any point you have he has a personality shift, I strongly recommend adding an irritating laughter every time you disengage from a cursed enemy.
    lol

Yes. You just made me miss 4e.

Concept aside, I could see a wood elf being good here. Elven accruracy and the speed boost would be very handy. Plus, they have that other trait that makes them great in natural obscurement.
    Halfling works well mechanically but it's also partly for the fun disconnect between appearance/personality and skillset: it's funny that this 3'6" indoors kid can suddenly punch through walls and summon angry ghosts. But yeah, wood elf (or one of the fancy elves, like shadar-kai) would work well too.

With the rage on you could opt to end your movement close to a different enemy than the one you hit. Choose the one with the highest attack bonus (so that rage will work better) if you can have an idea of the enemies' attack bonuses. Or use rage and avoid hit and run. That's to make the best of your few rages if you want (unless I am missing anything). You could explain the change in behaviour as the curse/ghost taking over you sometimes (or inspiring you with overwhelming confidence/bravery).
    My goal is to hit and run each turn - as long as you're attacking each turn rage won't shut off.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You really do want as many skills as you can get your hands on. If you're starting with a race that gives additional skills (think Half Elf or Tabaxi) and you've got your bases covered then starting Fighter for Con proficiency isn't a bad idea.
    Yeah, I get that.

I'd personally also want to take a knowledge skill like History, because it feels weird to me to be a political agent who has a poor grasp on events and the major players, it's just that I get the feeling that History is something that will vary in usefulness at different tables.
    Usefulness aside, lacking knowledge skills does not necessarily have to be weird. If the character lacked the kind of upbringing that would allow them to study, you can still end up with a political/religious agent who is more of a tool than a spymaster. In certain bits, actual knowledge can be replaced by propaganda, indoctrination or bias from personal experience, in other bits it can be replaced by information given/gathered, and in some other bits it can be replaced by just having faith in that those who pull your strings know what and act towards what's best.
    Spoiler: rambling
    Show

I had this problem with the religion skill with one character. I decided against taking it and I was a little worried that it would come back to hurt me. It wasn't as bad. The occasions it hurt me most was when dealing with (usually high ranked) religious figures (though it was in conjunction with playing a character of low birth), whom I just could not just persuade to change stance when it came to religious matters. Part of the campaign premise was that the world has been shocked by what seemed like a miraculous/apocalyptic (depending on which side of the religious fence you were) event, as in various parts of the kingdom the dead were rising (many of them not as mindless undead, but having kept their whole or parts of their personality from when they were alive). So while my character had not been able to change the mind of the head priest of some frontier town into taking action against the raised guard of some long abandoned nearby keep, I was still able to win most people serving under that priest. Because a fiery speech and a good charisma roll will win those who want to prove themselves brave and faithful over the warranted warnings for caution of an educated theologian who desperately insists that saint's [I dont remember the name] "death will be beaten by life" quote can be interpreted in more ways than the certainty of victory of those whose faith is strong against the undead. One speech later and I had eyes and ears in that temple, along with a small fighting force (of newbies) that were eager to fight the dead (and perhaps in time, those who were reluctant to do so).

Cloud gives you advantage on Deception and Sleight of Hand all the time, as well as a 1/sr ability to redirect a successful attack to any target within 30ft. Obviously great in any game where theres fighting, but also an interesting tool in a cloak and dagger game.

Stone gives you 120ft darkvision, advantage on Insight and an ability to incapacitate someone in a fashion very similar to Hypnotic Pattern - they're charmed, incapacitated and their speed is 0, though they get repeated saves.

Fire gives you double proficiency on tools and the ability to restrain someone with fiery shackles when you hit them. Not a subtle active ability in the least, but powerful and effective.
    Thanks! I wonder how redirecting a successful attack works. Do you redirect the attack itself or do you just transfer the damage? Cause it could make a big difference if you could make it so that someone is seen as attacking someone else.

Slipping people notes, picking their pockets and any general feat of manual dexterity usually falls under sleight of hand. I'm playing in the recently released campaign that is a bunch of heists, and picking peoples' pockets has been a pretty big deal in several of them.
    I guess I haven't had that many opportunities for it to shine then.

To give you an idea of where I was at when I first considered this combination, I'm currently making a character for a one shot that draws heavily on Zorro and the Count of Monte Cristo - both swashbuckling adventures that have an element of a secret identity. You could go as far as to have a full second identity - noble who makes subtle political moves as themselves and makes bolder moves as a masked giant vigilante - or something more reserved where you present yourself as a brash and charming but uncomplicated as a smokescreen to get people to underestimate you and mask your subtler moves.
    So, a different set of clothes, a mask and different size. Perhaps you can further reinforce the secret identity element by having one persona fighting with the psychic knives and one without. Major image (from an ally) or a means for one to disguise as your character, could help if the masked man becomes a known affiliate of the party (cause it could eventually become suspicious if your character is missing every time the masked man appears with the party).

I am not sure how much I would be able to use the secret identity during actual play, so my first thought is to use it as a rumor I would spread. Use one of the floating too proficiencies for an instrument or pick performance, and use song, tale or whatever other spectacle can get people thinking and talking about what they heard, to spread the news that it was the not-Zorro who accomplished whatever it was that your party did. One benefit would be that this way I would be able to draw some attention towards this mysterious figure and away from the party (say, if the party is going after a cult, criminals, or whoever else can strike back at you once you've dealt your first blow). Eventually, if I could grow the rumor enough, I would use it kind like a background feature. Look, here is the sigil of the not-Zorro, we are working for him. And depending on what not-Zorro is rumored to be doing in the game world, this might allow you some kind of benefit, like many backgrounds do (eg acolyte, soldier, folk hero, noble, etc). Just random ideas.

I think the ideal situation would be to pair up with another player who is playing someone with status and setting yourself up as their jovial friend/bodyguard/rival.
    Definitely. It can help justify your character sticking with the party. It can give your secret identity purpose if you are working with the other players into accomplishing side goals (eg if you are working for them). It can do lots of things. It's a good idea. Such concepts are realized easier with help from the other players and the DM.
    Last edited by Corran; 2023-07-29 at 04:50 AM.
    Hacks!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks! I wonder how redirecting a successful attack works. Do you redirect the attack itself or do you just transfer the damage? Cause it could make a big difference if you could make it so that someone is seen as attacking someone else.
    "In addition, when you or a creature you can see within 30 feet of you is hit by an attack roll, you can use your reaction to invoke the rune and choose a different creature within 30 feet of you, other than the attacker. The chosen creature becomes the target of the attack, using the same roll. This magic can transfer the attack's effects regardless of the attack's range. Once you invoke this rune, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest."

So you transfer the roll firstly - which means that 17 that easily hits the squishy just bounces off your Paladin without impact! Even better, take that nat-20 the enemy rolled & redirect the critical hit to their wizard!

Cloud rune can literally turn a battle around, if used with care.

Also, look at potentially going Eladrin for a rune knight - On a long rest you can gain two proficiencies that you don’t have, each one with a weapon or a tool of your choice selected from the Player’s Handbook. You mystically acquire these proficiencies by drawing them from shared elven memory, and you retain them until you finish your next long rest.

So if you've gotten the Fire rune (which is another good thing to use against squishy types - they tend to do badly at Strength saves then taking damage every round plus Restrained is pretty effective) you can take a long rest and give yourself the tool proficiency you want for the next day, and Fire auto-doubles the proficiency bonus! You become a master of all trades!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bardon View Post
    "In addition, when you or a creature you can see within 30 feet of you is hit by an attack roll, you can use your reaction to invoke the rune and choose a different creature within 30 feet of you, other than the attacker. The chosen creature becomes the target of the attack, using the same roll. This magic can transfer the attack's effects regardless of the attack's range. Once you invoke this rune, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest."

So you transfer the roll firstly - which means that 17 that easily hits the squishy just bounces off your Paladin without impact! Even better, take that nat-20 the enemy rolled & redirect the critical hit to their wizard!

Cloud rune can literally turn a battle around, if used with care.

Also, look at potentially going Eladrin for a rune knight - On a long rest you can gain two proficiencies that you don’t have, each one with a weapon or a tool of your choice selected from the Player’s Handbook. You mystically acquire these proficiencies by drawing them from shared elven memory, and you retain them until you finish your next long rest.

So if you've gotten the Fire rune (which is another good thing to use against squishy types - they tend to do badly at Strength saves then taking damage every round plus Restrained is pretty effective) you can take a long rest and give yourself the tool proficiency you want for the next day, and Fire auto-doubles the proficiency bonus! You become a master of all trades!
    The Rune Knight's fire rune is even stronger than people realize in that the only way to escape is to pass the save or wait for it to time out.
    Can't teleport out of it, blocking sight can help make attacks miss but if it hits it can stick, allies can't help, taking the the RK out does nothing, and even if you are immune to the fire damage potion you stuck.

Cloud and storm get a lot of press but fire is a workhorse and only one that can be sewn into your actions rather than taking one.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

This looks like a really fun build!!!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I’ve been toying with the idea of a character who specializes in thrown weapons. There’s the generic version which is based on the old 3.5 edition of the “Hulking Hurler”, wherein you stack a bunch of Strength onto a Barbarian and take a feat or two that lets you ignore penalties for using random heavy junk as a weapon, but this one which requires more precision for a more ninja-y feel.

The Death Darter

Build Goal: Evasive, High DPS specialist in thrown weapons
    Build End: Ranger (Horizon Walker) 11 / Rogue (Scout) 9
    Progression: Ranger +5 / Rogue +4 / Ranger +6 / Rogue +5
    Starting stats: DEX 15 (+2 from race), WIS 13

Race: Grung
    Fighting Style: Thrown Weapon Style
    Recommended Feats: Piercer; Sharpshooter; Mobile; Telekinetic (To retrieve a magic weapon that has gone awry!)
    Other requirements: None - Sadly, there are no official boomerangs in the game that return when thrown, but a custom-made magic item with the “Returning” property would be appropriate and useful if you can swing it with your DM.

Grung have a wonderful little ability called “Poison Skin” which allows them to add 2d4 Poison damage (on a failed DC12 save) to each of their attack rolls, so we make as many attacks as we can to invoke this ability as often as possible, and later on improve it with a more favorable damage type which then get pumped by Sneak Attack.

At first level we take Thrown Weapon Style which lets us reload darts and daggers for free - this essentially gives us 2 attacks every turn, which hardly suffer at all for not having Two Weapon Fighting because we have poisoned weapons (+2d4) instead of the +3 we’d otherwise get from our DEX stat.

At level 3 we will choose Horizon Walker as our Conclave. This is important because it lets us swap our damage type to Force rather than Poison, which is literally a swap from the most easily resisted/ignored damage type to the most difficult. It does take up our bonus action to do so, but at worst we’re swapping an off-hand attack for a free hand to start using a shield if we want to, continuing to throw two darts if we’re sure that the enemy is susceptible to venom.

At level 4, Piercer is a good feat to take. It rounds our DEX up to 18 and makes our damage dice more consistent - we’re rolling plenty with each attack, so chances are we can always make use of a reroll.

Ranger at level 5 could potentially be left for a little later in the build, but I think that Extra Attack is worth having as turning 1d4+2d4+1d8+4 into 2d4+4d4+2d8+8 will carry us pretty well for the next few levels while things even out.

At level 6 and 7 we start taking Rogue levels, primarily for Sneak Attack dice (which become Force Damage along with everything else) but also for maneuverability. While at this point we’re not much worse in melee than we are ranged if we’re forced into it, Cunning Action will allow us to cover more of the battlefield and strike whoever we want with precision, rather than being stuck face-to-face with just one unlucky goon.

At level 8 we have a choice between Scout and Assassin as our Rogue subclass. Personally I prefer Scout as being able to move faster is more gooderer and (at Rogue 9) becomes funnier because Grung have a natural climbing speed so we can run up a wall and snipe with impunity if we want to.
    Assassin is a worthwhile alternative as it’s a reliable way to get Advantage on someone every turn, but the trade off is that you’ll probably end up taking more Horizon Walker levels to become as mobile as the Scouts. Similarly, you don’t gain much from extra identities and disguises - there’s only so much you can do to hide the fact that you’re a 3 foot frog and not the Firbolg that was expected….

Further progression:
    More Ranger/Less Rogue - You can teleport about the battlefield, picking and choosing our victims and ruining their day. You’re likely an Assassin, so that you can consistently get venomous Sneak Attacks rather than just bigger and bigger numbers.

Less Ranger/More Rogue - You’re primarily a Scout, running about the place to get into good Sneak Attack positions for *lots* of damage. It’s slightly less consistent than the Assassin, but more flexible (especially against enemies like Constructs and Undead, who tend to ignore Poison).

Less Ranger (4) /Less Rogue (4) /More Fighter (X) - The third path means taking 3 levels of Fighter/Battlemaster because who doesn’t want Action Surge? Similarly, there are several maneuvers which can be interesting - particularly Distracting Strike (to give yourself Advantage for Sneak Attacking) and Pushing Attack (to give you space to use your ranged attacks without worry).
    Last edited by Wraith; 2023-08-01 at 10:46 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #22

RangerGuy

The Unsubtle Spy

Rogue 1/Rune Knight 3
    This is quite similar to the Rune Knight / Fey Wanderer build I sort of semi-stumbled into (was supposed to be RK / Rogue but the try out with the local thief guild went bad)

Disguise kit from Gladiator Background. Hobgoblin race

Took Fire Rune and Cloud Rune early. Added other runes later - take note that activating runes does not have a verbal or somatic component. Storm Rune is advantage for a minute, or disadvantage on enemy rolls to work out what stunt you are pulling.

This was enormous fun during a sustained story arc with slavers and slave traders, with advantage on Deception and double proficiency on Disguise he pulled off pretending to be a Hobgoblin slaver several times. On two occasions managing to get the rest of the party into where we were going "disguised" as recently captured slaves.

I wouldn't over-invest in Deception unless you are running a very intrigue heavy game, proficiency plus advantage will give you a pretty reliable roll and when I started adding the wisdom mod as well it was really very sweet.

It worked strongly because it was rolled stats and other than one or two good stats I had a lot of "decent but not incredible" ability scores. So adding Wis and Cha modifiers together was a stronger thing than it would be with point buy.

23. - Top - End - #23

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    The Rune Knight's fire rune is even stronger than people realize in that the only way to escape is to pass the save or wait for it to time out.
    Can't teleport out of it, blocking sight can help make attacks miss but if it hits it can stick, allies can't help, taking the the RK out does nothing, and even if you are immune to the fire damage potion you stuck.

Cloud and storm get a lot of press but fire is a workhorse and only one that can be sewn into your actions rather than taking one.
    Fire Rune is indeed a workhorse. It has zero action economy cost on a fighter who probably wanted to be taking the attack action anyway and it can really mess some things up. The combo with Storm Rune is a little oppressive against some opponents - apply disadvantage to the save on a flying enemy hit them with Fire Rune and watch them crash and burn.

Double expertise on tools is not a big deal but its not nothing. It works nicely with Disguise Kit and Thieves tools which are relevant to this sort of build.

For the build we are discussing here I would definitely take Cloud Rune and Fire Rune first. Then add Storm Rune at level 7. Then Stone Rune at level 10 - because having the insight to see that the guard is suspicious then leaving them dribbling and helpless for a minute is hilarious.

24. - Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

Here's one I've been thinking about for a campaign coming up.

Nigel, Inheritor of the Blood Legion

Starting Stats (array)
    Str 15+2 (17), Dex 13+1 (14), Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills: Rogue Stuff
    Note: his stats are high-strength, which I'm playing off as supernatural (even though mechanically it's not).

Progression: start as Rogue for skills and then Cunning Action, because fleeing is this guy's bread and butter. Next get barbarian to level 3, which gives you Rage, Reckless Attack, and most importantly, the Ancestral Guardian subclass. From there, it's straight rogue. I picked the Soulknife subclass because the psychic stuff and magic ghost blade fit well with the theme I'm going for, and it's also one of the mechanically best rogue subclasses.

I like this a lot. You could play this as a Dexterity Barbarian. Enough Strength to multiclass will be enough Strength to grapple since you’ll have advantage while Raging and can use Psychic Dice when you may fail. The extra Rage damage isn’t much. Reckless Attack is also overrated if you are attacking from a distance. Most Barbarians don’t get to use Unarmed Defense but this one could. This might also push you towards starting Barbarian since Danger Sense and high Dexterity will be enough for Dexterity saves and you’ll eventually get Slippery Mind to cover Wisdom saves. But I think it’s thematically great and would be fun to roleplay.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

(Sorry, didn't notice there was already a barb/rogue, but, different take on it)

The Angry Commander
    5 Barb/ 11 rogue/ 4 fighter

Ever challenge a BBEG to a fight, and get annoyed that they can actually hurt you? What if you could half the damage... twice? And all the while, barking orders, telling allies and enemy's alike what they can and can't do, and absolutely scream "SNEAK ATTACK!" in their faces while raging? Well, we have a build for that!

22 AC by the end, Evasion + Danger sense, quarter attack rolls, sneak attack whenever you like, action surge to guarentee one painful turn, and the leadership as if you were a warlord! Contrary to people thinking martials 'go bonk', you have a lot of choices EVERY turn with this. Are you staying and tanking? Are you moving? Are you dictating someone to help you {or healing with variant}? Where on the battlefield do you want to be? What do you want to use your reaction for? Are you using dex or strength to attack? Do you want to expertise stealth and ambush the ever living crap out of someone while raging? This class FEELS like a battlefield commander. I'm playing one, DM let switch out Dex for charisma on unarmored defense, and it's roleplaying blast too! (I have expertise performance. Commander's presence. Am looking for manual of leadership, and am a literal jester)

Half elf - Need these stats, and half elf is only one to give you 4 stats. We're assuming Tasha let's you redistribute the base stats. Pick Wood Elf for extra speed. {I'm actually half drow for story, doesn't matter too much}

Overall:

15+1 STR
    15+2 DEX
    15+1 CON
    8 INT
    8 WIS
    8 CHA
    Weapon: Rapier + Shield.
    AC: 18

Lvl 1 - Go barb, big hit die is big hit die
    Barb 1

Lvl 2 - no real options, but danger sense is better on this build than most barbs.
    Barb 2

Lvl 3 - Bearbarian, we loves us some resistances! Tasha's also gives us an extra proficiency.
    Barb 3

Lvl 4 - Feat - We'll take a half feat here to round up our Dex. A dirty little secret here is our STR is never going to be maxed out, but, honestly, all damage ride ons later and reckless make this alright.
    * Resilent - Dex - Rogue levels love it later on.
    Barb 4
    AC: 19

Lvl 5 - Extra attack, and movement speed buff. Now, this build loves the movement speed buff. Sadly, we will only ever have 3 rages. Please rage responsibly. Or don't.
    Barb 5

Lvl 6- We're switching classes! Barb is great and all, but it runs out of 'POWER!' after 5. But you know what never does? Sneak attack! We'll be using a rapier to get it consistently. But, we'll be switching between dex and str depending on how we want to fight {Reckless? Str. Regular turn? Dex is higher} Pick rogue, grab two expertise, go for roleplay! Athletics is always nice to have.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 1

Lvl 7- Cunning Action. This build loooove cunning action, because you can disengage as a bonus action, or dash with your increased movement speed. That's 135 feet of movement a turn. Tell the monk to suck it. Unlike the monk, you can jump without ki points too. You get to decide whether or not you're sticking around and fighting, or if you're getting out of dodge. Bonus points if you high five the wizard as you run past him with an enemy barrelling after you. Triple if you catcall the enemy and spent one of your expertise in performance to do ventriloquism
    Barb 5/ Rogue 2

Lvl 8 - This one is highly up to you to chose what subclass you prefer. General build, I like Mastermind rogue, because I get to chose on my bonus action to help an ally, so it feels like I'm commanding the battlefield, chosing who to help me destroy and enemy and direct them.
    One alternative in this class for one less AC is to take thief archetype and grab healer feat. You can now heal on the front line while laughing at an enemy hitting you.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 3

Lvl 9 - ASI - +2 Dex - More for helping upcoming levels, but, hey, now str/dex deal equal damage on your finesse weapon!
    AC: 20.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 4

Lvl 10 - Hey! This class is now online. Uncanny Dodge is something you'll get more mileage out of than a lot of rogues, because things are attacking you, and you have the HP to not die. Oh, and resistance to everything not psychic.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 5

Lvl 11 - Multiclassing again?! Well, yeah, fighter has some nice goodies for us on a relatively short side trip. Take dueling fighting style, the +2 bump will help with the fact that we're never maxing strength, and is equal to your rage damage when using dex. Alternatively, can keep going straight rogue. The ASI's we're putting off might hurt.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 5/ Fighter 1

Lvl 12 - Action surge is always good. However, holding ONE of your actions as a held action to do another attack the moment it isn't your turn to trigger sneak attack twice in one round is great! Be aware you can't use cunning dodge if you do this, but, sometimes, an enemy needs a grave, and the only way to get them in the grave is to bash the ground open with their body and call them 'puny gods'.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 5/ Fighter 2

Lvl 13 - Battlemaster. We are the commander afterall. Honestly, you can't go wrong here. This, btw, is why we upped dex instead of con earlier, to increase any saving throws.
    Riposte - With your sneak attacks? This is great.
    IF you have a paly or rogue in party, commander's strike is really thematic.
    Disarming attack is always great.
    Maneuvering Attack for getting an ally out of dodge, telling them to run while you hold off the enemy.
    Trip attack - Always good
    Tactical Assessment/Commander's Presence- Roleplay help for you having an 8 in every mental stat! Add this and expertise, watch the bard cry as you, with your 8 charisma, pick up his failed flirting attempt and succeed!
    Barb 5/ Rogue 5/ Fighter 3

Lvl 14 - Back to Rogue! That sweet, sweet sneak attack damage has missed us. Pick two more expertise. Pick on the bard! He deserves it!

Barb 5/ Rogue 6/ Fighter 3
    Lvl 15 - Roguing rogue stuff. Oh hey, Evasion! This'll go nicely with our 18 Dex and Danger sense.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 7/ Fighter 3

Lvl 16 - Well, it's taken us a while, but we finally got our 3rd ASI... +2 Con
    AC 21
    Barb 5/ Rogue 8/ Fighter 3

Lvl 17 - Oh boy! I wonder if anyone's int/wis/cha skills are better than us! {Mastermind rogue}. Otherwise, subclass upgrade. And sneak attack I guess? We'll never say no to that.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 9/ Fighter 3

Lvl 18 - AND OUR 4TH ASI! Doesn't seem so long ago we hit our 3rd. We're. Welp, +2 Con, maxing it out.
    AC - 22
    Barb 5/ Rogue 10/ Fighter 3

Lvl 19 - Reliable talent! We'll never say no to that.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 11/ Fighter 3

Lvl 20 - And for our epic capstone, we get bestowed... another Feat/ASI? We'll take it. We could take rogue 12, but, uh, we get exactly 1 extra hp going fighter!
    Tough is a great capstone, we're a little less than pure barb.
    Barb 5/ Rogue 11/ Fighter 4

Pros - We have a LOT of options in combat and don't really fear being in the thick of it. Sneak attack gives us pretty consistent extra damage, and at least one will hit, and we CAN force it with reckless pretty consistently.
    Con - You ever get charmed, kiss your party goodbye. But, if you're like me, that's less a con, and more a hilarious pro to watch. It's regular no good mental saves. You are a martial god, but, a very, very dumb one. Also, we need all of our ASI's, but they don't really come til far later in the build.

DM: "You're charmed. Attack the wizard or bard."
    Gan: "With pleasure, can I action surge so I can hit both?" {/jk}

26. - Top - End - #26

RangerGuy

Righteous Polar Bear
    Celestial Warlock 5/Path of the Giant Barbarian 15

Race : Shifter/Wildhunt
    Background : Giant Foundling / Strike of the Giants (Frost)

This one is about combining a few things. Wild hunt shifter negates enemy advantage which for a barbarian can mean Reckless without the downside. Celestial Warlock adds in some nice utility and in-combat BA healing that is not a spell so you can use it while raging. The combination of Armor of Agathys and rage is always nice but this build does not lean into it as hard as it possibly could. A big old polar bear shifter inspired by celestial zeal when it fights.

15+1 STR
    12 DEX
    14+2 CON
    8 INT
    9 WIS
    13 CHA
    Weapon: Spear

AC: 12 - so get some better armor as soon as possible!

Lvl 1 - Warlock first partly because that Wis save proficiency is going to help a lot in the mid-levels. With moderate HP and some healing try to survive this level. Strike of the Giants gives you a bit of control - its not Sentinel but its not nothing. Armor of Agathys is the main spell here.
    Warlock 1 / Celestial.

Lvl 2 - Barbarian time. Grab the best medium armor you can afford and a shield. You should now have AC 17 but you are AC16 unarmored w/shield which is not too bad on a barbarian at least while raging.
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 1

Lvl 3 - More barbarian. You now have Reckless attack so your first trick comes online. Shift and Reckless for advantage with no penalty for doing so vs targets within 30'. Danger Sense props up that weak Dex save
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 2

Lvl 4 - Path of the Giants. Now you have reach when you rage plus a bonus with thrown weapons. So grab a javelin but be aware that it will be awkward next level due to object handling
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 3

Lvl 5 - Feat Polearm Master. Trigger reaction attacks to try to stop things with your strike of the giants and grab that BA attack
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 4

Lvl 6- Second attack - now we are beginning to really get there
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 5

Lvl 7- Elemental Cleaver. Elemental damage, bonus damage on every attack, returning weapon. This is just an awesome level. Throw thunderbolts.
    Warlock 1 / Barbarian 6

Lvl 8 - Back to Warlock and we are getting invocations. I would tend to pick these based on campaign because we are not relying on them in combat really.
    Warlock 2 / Barbarian 6

Lvl 9 - Another warlock level and now we have 2nd level slots and will take Pact of the Chain. Change an invocation to Gift of the Ever Living ones to maximise the self healing
    Warlock 3 / Barbarian 6

Lvl 10 - Another warlock level and we are taking Fury of the Frost Giant feat, increase Con to 17 for now
    Warlock 4 / Barbarian 6

Lvl 11 - The last Warlock level we will take gives us 3rd level slots which are very nice for Armor of Agathys and not bad for other things when we are not raging. Tomb of Levistus is a very thematic invocation to take
    Warlock 5 / Barbarian 6

Lvl 12+ Barbarian all the way. A few milestones here
    Level 13 another ASI and we will take the ASI for +1 Con and +1 Wis - rounding both up for more resilience
    Level 15 we get to throw our friends around the battlefield with Mighty Impel
    Lvl 19 gives us Demiurge Colossus for Huge Size, even more reach, even more damage and the ability to throw large creatures around
    Lvl 20 gives us effectively unlimited rage as a pseudo-capstone

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
    Righteous Polar Bear
    This looks like fun!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sharutto.
    Variant human. Solamnic knight(background)

Atributes, all 13.

Echo knoght figther 5, colege of swords bard 4, gloom stalker(or hunter) ranger 4, fighter7...

Fighting styles: Thrown Weapon Fighting (from fighter level), dwelling(from swords bard), and defence(from ranger)

Feats: squire of solamnia(from background)

Knight of the sword( by race) improving cons.

Knight of the Crow (lvl 4) improving cons.

Iniciate of hight sorver (lvl 9) your bard levels give you magic, so you can take this

Adept of the black robes (lvl13)

Shadow touched(lvl 17) improve charisma.

Poisoneer lvl 20.

So... yo r a neutral evil one. With enought deception to be at the knights.

Using mithral full plate like a medium armor, and making daggers atacks at range, poisoning your enemies when you r invisible.
    In melee, you will use shadow clone(echo) to combat, making 7 attacks at first round (if gloomstalker) or 6(if hunter).

You will have a enormous CA. 18(armor) +2shield +1(defensive style) +1d6 from flourish, +4per hit, (if hunter). And enemies yiu hit, have disvantage to hit you(knight feats). AND if killed, its only a shadow clone.

With a reaction, you can make your echo make one extra atack( by knight crow feat) so, can be 8 first turn.

As shadow toutched, take the spell: shadow blade.
    And whe use this. You can burn rour hitpointscto cause extra damage, and can make enemies suffer disavantage with your knight of sword feat. And POISON.

Sou your damage will be: 2d8(shadow blade)+1d4(favored foe substituction)+1d4(if gloomstalker)+1d6(bard flourish)+number of hitpoints you burn+ 1d8 (knight of sword)+1d8(knight os crow at the reaction imediate attack)+str or dx bonus+ poison. You can put the blooming blade cantrip in the count.

You rave a good array of spells for a fighter and may attack with the echoes to survive more time. You can heal yourself and have a good number of skills.

For magic itens, mithralfullplate is a must. And some things to eleve atributes.

And you ar a heavy armoured, naruto ninja styled thing!!!

Last edited by Clause; 2023-08-17 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Incompletness

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
    Righteous Polar Bear

Race : Shifter/Wildhunt
    Background : Giant Foundling / Strike of the Giants (Frost)

This one is about combining a few things. Wild hunt shifter negates enemy advantage which for a barbarian can mean Reckless without the downside. Celestial Warlock adds in some nice utility and in-combat BA healing that is not a spell so you can use it while raging. The combination of Armor of Agathys and rage is always nice but this build does not lean into it as hard as it possibly could. A big old polar bear shifter inspired by celestial zeal when it fights.
    I always love to see an Ice Fiend (WarBarian) build. Interesting to find that middle ground between retribution damage and defense, and I love keeping in the element theme here.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

30. - Top - End - #30

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    I always love to see an Ice Fiend (WarBarian) build. Interesting to find that middle ground between retribution damage and defense, and I love keeping in the element theme here.
    I'm glad you like it. Allowing for dice roll stats rather than point buy I'm pretty much playing this build. I'm interested to see how it goes but the theme is fun and so far its been solid enough.