New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I predict that the quinton will call in Xykon's marker on 'even/odd' in a non-comedic way, but the accompanying modrons will flash signs that are funny during that same panel.
    Still backed by nothing, or I'd try to get confirmation that "call in Xykon's marker" means something opposed to my offered bet.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    or I'd try to get confirmation that "call in Xykon's marker" means something opposed to my offered bet.
    Nope. It's a simple prediction about how the quinton will hold Xykon to it, and the quinton will be dry and on point; the comic relief will come from the modrons.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #393

Continues to lack clarity (or backing). If "hold Xykon to it" means "the quinton will make an issue of Xykon messing up one or more sentences," and it was a bet, I'd take it.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Neat! But I'm still not speaking Latin.

Real talk, though, the attempted forced Latinization of English in the 19th century was ridiculous
    Ah, so you were the pedantic purist all along!

and made the language, which was already in a pretty sorry state of affairs, even more of a cluster**** to deal with. Which i don't mind for myself, i have a fairly commanding grasp of the language, but it sucks for ESL people or for those who had to go to public school and learn all sorts of nonsense and think they can't split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions.
    As an ESL person, I've usually found random **** like the Ghoti Effect and your sad devotion to cling onto the vestiges of the fusional Germanic roots your language has more troublesome than anything resembling Latin (an elegant language of a more civilized age indeed!).

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I remember an 8th grade teacher intoning something like
    "The ending of a sentence with a preposition is bad writing, up with which I shall not put."
    You trained under Yooda, the Evil Dark Jedi clone of Yoda? Wow.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-06-15 at 02:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    As an ESL people, I've usually
    Only one of you.

6. - Top - End - #396

Only one of you.
    For all you know, I MIGHT BE LEGION! (Which is roughly a brigade-sized unit.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-06-15 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397

Even if I did not, in fact, know that Metastachydium is one person (or is violating forum rules by sharing his account between multiple people who write with remarkably similar style, opinions, sense of humor and argumentation skills), "I am an ESL people" would only be valid if you were an entire people. Not just a thousand French people but the entirety of France.

8. - Top - End - #398

Even if I did not, in fact, know that Metastachydium is one person (or is violating forum rules by sharing his account between multiple people who write with remarkably similar style, opinions, sense of humor and argumentation skills), "I am an ESL people" would only be valid if you were an entire people. Not just a thousand French people but the entirety of France.
    It's a good thing I'm not French, then! (Otherwise, hard to argue. You win, this once.)

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ah, so you were the pedantic purist all along!
    I am a purist for the impurity of English.
    Spoiler: Alternate joke
    Show
    Well, really, under linguistic descriptivism I can't use the language incorrectly.

Spoiler: Option C
    Show

You trained under Yooda, the Evil Dark Jedi clone of Yoda? Wow.
    Yoda used anastrophe (almost rhymes with "apostrophe"), an inversion of standard sentence syntax. Also, there are several times where he notably doesn't, which means its a conscious choice on his part.
    It's a good thing I'm not French, then!
    Ah, the default proclamation of joy from almost all Europeans.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-06-15 at 02:26 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

10. - Top - End - #400

Yoda used anastrophe (almost rhymes with "apostrophe"), an inversion of standard sentence syntax. Also, there are several times where he notably doesn't, which means its a conscious choice on his part.
    Meh. Ever seen a Dark Jedi clone with one too many vowels in his name who didn't go a little wrong? (Also, based on what Korvin said, I'm fairly confident the gem he quoted was likewise the product of conscious effort.)

Ah, the default proclamation of joy from almost all Europeans.
    I was going to say "except maybe the English" (beyond the obvious), but let's face it: it's not like they are European folks!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I wager two quatloos that the Ming is going to come back as being the IFCC's mysterious artifact when they make their move during the big showdown for the Gate. Very few actual artifacts have been shown in this world, and those are all worn/used constantly. Except for this one. And the page even labels it as plot-critical! The Giant has pulled throwbacks like this before, it's plausible!

(Credit to theangelJean for starting the thought process in that direction)
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-06-16 at 11:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    I wager two quatloos that the Ming is going to come back as being the IFCC's mysterious artifact when they make their move during the big showdown for the Gate. Very few actual artifacts have been shown in this world, and those are all worn/used constantly. Except for this one. And the page even labels it as plot-critical! The Giant has pulled throwbacks like this before, it's plausible!

1. Bet taken.
    2. You have read LOTR, yes?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    1. Bet taken.
    Having read LotR, I can predict that Frudu will be unable to destroy the Ming, Dumb Sam will be thrown into Mount Doom's pit, and Gallup will team up with Frudu in a sequel RomCom that has them 'exploring' the mysteries of the Ming together.

14. - Top - End - #404

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    1. Bet taken.
    I own all four books AND the extended trilogies, I'm well aware of the parody. It doesn't change anything I said or reduce the plausibility. Thank you for taking my bet, game on!
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-06-16 at 01:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

I own all four books AND the extended trilogies, I'm well aware of the parody. It doesn't change anything I said or reduce the plausibility. Thank you for taking my bet, game on!
    I somehow doubt Frudu and the Ming are gonna be any more plot-relevant then, like, Larry Gardener or Joe Slush were.

16. - Top - End - #406

It's plot-critical. But they didn't say which plot.

Also, its possible. I wouldn't say it's plausible. Those are two very different words.

17. - Top - End - #407

I just realized what I could bet the quatloo (did I spell that right?) graciously bestowed upon me by Brian: by the end of the story, we shall totally learn why Roy (unlike other members of his family) isn't wearing green articles of clothing anymore because it's very important!

It's plot-critical. But they didn't say which plot.
    There is only one plot and its name is DEATH!!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-06-17 at 03:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

There is only one plot and its name is DEATH!!
    Are you sure? I thought farm plots were like the opposite of that.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Are you sure? I thought farm plots were like the opposite of that.
    1. I have no idea what a farm plot is, but it involves farms, I stand by the above assessment;
    2. which is a poorly conceived reference to a third fantasy opus anyhow.

20. - Top - End - #410

1. I have no idea what a farm plot is, but it involves farms, I stand by the above assessment;
    2. which is a poorly conceived reference to a third fantasy opus anyhow.
    Its like any other plot of land, but for farming.

21. - Top - End - #411

Oh. Right. As said, my assessment stands, however.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Since the only farmers shown on page are dirt farmers, we can conclude that dirt farms are the only farms in OotSworld. Which gives whole new interpretations of phrases like dirt nap and bought the farm.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    and bought the farm.
    It's a good thing dirt's cheap as dirt then, really! (Which is oddly fitting in a setting where death is likewise cheap, now that I think of it.)

24. - Top - End - #414
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Ten gold says no one will remember these bets when the time comes.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I'll take that, with the caveat that only correct bets will be remembered, and no one will mention where they got it wrong

26. - Top - End - #416

BardGuy

I predict someone from Team Evil will try to convert Sunny to the dark side but will fail.

27. - Top - End - #417

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I'll take this bet. People keep links to closed threads in their signatures after all, someone's going to use it to record this one too so it doesn't get forgotten.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

28. - Top - End - #418

I remember every bet I have ever made.

(I will not keep track of anyone else's "quatloos" stuff. But their sigs might!)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

This is late and will amount to absolutely nothing, but:

1) Redcloak will destroy the phylactery. I don't think there's any living character that hates Xykon more than Redcloak - not even Roy - and the symbolic gesture of ending Xykon's immortality (his greatest fear) is probably the sole emotional concession the story will give to Redcloak, as it's essentially him 'revoking' the choice he made to help Xykon become a lich decades ago. Other than that, my adjacent prediction is that if Redcloak dies, he will go to his god's plane, but none of his family will be waiting for him.

2) Vaarsuvius will survive. If Miko's death is the story of a lost possibility of redemption, then Vaarsuvius' is the story of how one might dedicate the rest of their life, goals, and happiness to make wrong right. I think it is more narratively rewarding to see how Vaarsuvius will climb the moral hill, as opposed to making the decision to climb it and promptly dying before they can embark on such a journey. Also, V will adopt Mr. Scruffy and Bloodfeast; both animal companions get along very well with Blackwing.

3) There will be a 'flash-forward' while someone (Elan?) is voice-overing in the present, and we will glimpse a died-naturally-Roy reuniting with his brother. If anyone's doing voiceover in the end, it's Elan.

All three predictions are pitched with varying degrees of confidence, which present as my left foot, my favorite pair of shoes, and five dollars. Respectively.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    This is late and will amount to absolutely nothing, but:
    UNDERSTATEMENT! Long time, no see!

1) Redcloak will destroy the phylactery. I don't think there's any living character that hates Xykon more than Redcloak - not even Roy - and the symbolic gesture of ending Xykon's immortality (his greatest fear) is probably the sole emotional concession the story will give to Redcloak, as it's essentially him 'revoking' the choice he made to help Xykon become a lich decades ago.
    No bet (what would I do with your left foot, anyhow?).

Other than that, my adjacent prediction is that if Redcloak dies, he will go to his god's plane, but none of his family will be waiting for him.
    I could see myself taking this one to gamble a bit, but… See above.

2) Vaarsuvius will survive. If Miko's death is the story of a lost possibility of redemption, then Vaarsuvius' is the story of how one might dedicate the rest of their life, goals, and happiness to make wrong right. I think it is more narratively rewarding to see how Vaarsuvius will climb the moral hill, as opposed to making the decision to climb it and promptly dying before they can embark on such a journey. Also, V will adopt Mr. Scruffy and Bloodfeast; both animal companions get along very well with Blackwing.
    That's kind of a solid 50/50 as odds go, and I'm a FLOWER. I DON'T NEED SHOES!

3) There will be a 'flash-forward' while someone (Elan?) is voice-overing in the present, and we will glimpse a died-naturally-Roy reuniting with his brother.
    You're on!

If anyone's doing voiceover in the end, it's Elan.
    Except this bit. This bit's just the truth and the whole truth.