New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1363
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    They'd better put up a barrier around Klaus. Maybe a cage.
    Put him back in his battle suit, and remove the power supply.
    And the auxiliary power supply.
    And the redundant auxiliary power supply.
    And since this is Klaus' personal suit, the auxiliary redundant solar and wind powered self-recharging nuclear power supply.

On second thought, a good strong cage is a better idea.

Or find Dr. Sun and have him threaten Klaus with a good thrashing if he doesn't behave.

EDIT:

I think Agatha is about to, kindly and politely, have the "I am the Heterodyne, Gil is my property whether you like it or not, we are in Mechanicsburg, please don't make me kill you in front of Tarvek" conversation.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2024-03-20 at 12:34 PM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I think Agatha is about to, kindly and politely, have the "I am the Heterodyne, Gil is my property whether you like it or not, we are in Mechanicsburg, please don't make me kill you in front of Tarvek" conversation.
    I don't think Agatha would call Gil or Tarvek her "property". The Castle, the Jaegers, and a number of other Mechanisberg residents might, but I don't think Agatha would.

3. - Top - End - #1203

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    I don't think Agatha would call Gil or Tarvek her "property". The Castle, the Jaegers, and a number of other Mechanisberg residents might, but I don't think Agatha would.
    I agree, but whether or not she uses that word, the message will be "Hands off any consort of the Heterodyne". I doubt very much she'd be the first Heterodyne to be at least polyamorous-curious, the citizens and the Jagers would be entirely supportive of her stance. Gil would probably be deeply embarrassed if he was there, but he doesn't show much interest in Seffie, as we saw in this strip. Regardless of semantics, the message will be conveyed. It's not "when in Rome do as the Romans do", it's "when in Mechanicsburg do exactly what the Heterodyne tells you to".

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think Agatha is going to go "Gil is mine!" It's more likely she'll say something along the lines that Seffie is free to compete with Agatha for his heart but if she tries any shenanigans that remotely endanger Mechanicsburg she'll erase her from existence.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Thing is, Agatha and Seffie are on reasonably good terms. This might not be ominous - it might even be about Tweedle rather than Gil.

Also, I count five glasses on the tray. Seffie is obviously disappointed about not having Gil, but she obviously wasn't planning on just having Gil. I suspect her reaction to Agatha is mostly because Gil turned down the invitation and she's not sure how to handle it.

(Let's see - Seffie, Gil, Agatha, Tarvek and ... Othar?? Well, he is known to attract the ladies...)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #1206

SamuraiGuy

I reading Agatha's expression in the last panel as "This has gone on long enough".

7. - Top - End - #1207

I reading Agatha's expression in the last panel as "This has gone on long enough".
    I don't. Agatha's smile looks... crafty but genuine? Not the "I'll kill you later" strained smile she has when she's upset about somebody.

The conversation might be about the birds, bees, boys, and wether it's necessary to kill each other over them, but I don't think she's hostile to Seffie.

In fact, unless I forgot something (I might. This comic is HUGE and has been going forever), does she really gets jealous or possessive about her potential lovers? I have the impression that if her rival is likeable and sincere, she's usually a good sport about it. And we know she really dislikes when somebody becomes possessive about her, too.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-03-21 at 07:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    I don't. Agatha's smile looks... crafty but genuine? Not the "I'll kill you later" strained smile she has when she's upset about somebody.

The conversation might be about the birds, bees, boys, and wether it's necessary to kill each other over them, but I don't think she's hostile to Seffie.

In fact, unless I forgot something (I might. This comic is HUGE and has been going forever), does she really gets jealous or possessive about her potential lovers? I have the impression that if her rival is likeable and sincere, she's usually a good sport about it. And we know she really dislikes when somebody becomes possessive about her, too.
    Has Agatha even seen a rival for her affections, other than Zola? She definitely was jealous of Zola, but then again she was anything but likeable and sincere...
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Has Agatha even seen a rival for her affections, other than Zola? She definitely was jealous of Zola, but then again she was anything but likeable and sincere...
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking of Zola and Lucretia when I was making that "likeable and sincere" clause. But the whole "will murder/overwrite me and make out over/using my body" might be an small detail explaining why Agatha was upset in those instances. Also the entire "my mom is trying to steal my boyfriend", which would be embarrassing even if said mom was not an eldritch body snatching abomination ^^

She's been nice, even supportive, to Trelawney and Neena, even if she's aware they may become competition, and didn't overreact at the idea the Queen might be trying to drive them apart. They're not much of a threat, though. (But then, neither is Seffie)

I'm trying to remember if there was some more serious competition. Did Colette have a thing with either of the boys?

Lately, when she's not fighting off some devious copycat of her mother, she's been pretty level headed and secure. I don't think she would lash out at someone who's been consistently nice to her just because of "OMG, Mine!".

Right now, Agatha just witnessed one of her friends being ignored by the man she loves. "The Heterodyne" might relish in their victory and push their advantage, but I expect good things from Agatha. :)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-03-21 at 10:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1210

I'm trying to remember if there was some more serious competition. Did Colette have a thing with either of the boys?
    She actually mildly flirted with Agatha a bit.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

I agree, but whether or not she uses that word, the message will be "Hands off any consort of the Heterodyne". I doubt very much she'd be the first Heterodyne to be at least polyamorous-curious, the citizens and the Jagers would be entirely supportive of her stance. Gil would probably be deeply embarrassed if he was there, but he doesn't show much interest in Seffie, as we saw in this strip. Regardless of semantics, the message will be conveyed. It's not "when in Rome do as the Romans do", it's "when in Mechanicsburg do exactly what the Heterodyne tells you to".
    Polyamory? Uncertain. Wanted to rub their bits against multiple people? Very much confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    She actually mildly flirted with Agatha a bit.
    I'm sure there's room in the polycule for another person.

Enough room for two if we think Trelawny is a serious contender for Gil.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #1212

Let's face it, Punch & Judy brought her up well. Agatha is remarkable level-headed when she's not in the madness place, and self-aware where her flaws are concerned.

Oh, the whole "not plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside" thing? Well.... Some days it is easier than others.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2024-03-22 at 02:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1213

SamuraiGuy

I feel I must nominate "plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside" as a thread title.

I think Agatha is still getting around to business, although "Where is Tweedle and what is he up to now?" is a good question to pose to Seffie.

Although, is it just an art change, or does Seffie look ill in the last two strips?

14. - Top - End - #1214

NecromancerGuy

I feel I must nominate "plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside" as a thread title.

I think Agatha is still getting around to business, although "Where is Tweedle and what is he up to now?" is a good question to pose to Seffie.

Although, is it just an art change, or does Seffie look ill in the last two strips?
    I'm going to second "plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside" as a thread title.

And yes, I think Seffie does look unwell, which with Cheyenne's talent for coloring, I expect means its deliberate. (It might be from just not sleeping enough while attempting to keep up with Gil & Tarvek, though.)

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I want to go with:

"Well.... Some days it is easier than others."

as a potential thread title.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-03-22 at 10:42 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    And yes, I think Seffie does look unwell, which with Cheyenne's talent for coloring, I expect means its deliberate. (It might be from just not sleeping enough while attempting to keep up with Gil & Tarvek, though.)
    She may be tired, but Seffie has always looked pale/sleep deprived/ill. In her first appearance, she looked far worse than here.

(And yeah, the "plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside" quote perfectly captures Europan high life ^^)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-03-22 at 12:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

She may be tired, but Seffie has always looked pale/sleep deprived/ill. In her first appearance, she looked far worse than here.
    I wonder if that's an attempt at arsenic-based makeup - We are roughly in the right time period, and it would be amusingly ironic that a member of a family with such an interest in poisons might be using one as a face treatment...

EDIT: Also, both titles noted.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2024-03-22 at 01:48 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

I think Seffie's appearance in her first page is a stylistic choice more than anything, in her initial appearance she's meant to read as a sinister new villain for the first two panels she appears in, then in the pages afterwards she changes to a much less dark and cold countenance as she is revealed to be a friendly figure for Martellus, rather than a new big bag here to usurp him for the arc. Her skintone gets warmer, her eyes lose that dark line around them, and her demeanour drops most if not all of the implicit menace.

For the current pages she's definitely wearing other makeup, so her pallid skintone is probably meant to be read as makeup as well. I don't know the term for the makeup used to change the general tone of your skin, but she seem to be wearing blusher and making the skin light and having pink blusher for that rosy cheek look is a classic. The Sturmvoraus family and relations seem to tend on the paler side in general though, and Agatha is very warm toned in this page, which just heightens the contrast. Seffie being on a lounge rather than a chair and thus tilted definitely makes her come across as ill looking though. The contrast with Agatha, the blue eyeshadow and the pale makeup contrasted with her red hair making it seem even paler, lying in a lounge rather than seated upright, it all contributes to that dying-of-tuberculosis look.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #1219

MindFlayer

Tarvek has been, at least recently, depicted as paler-skinned than Gil or Agatha. While Seffie is even paler than Tarvek, I read it as just being a redheaded woman who gets no sun whatsoever. Her hands are as pale as her face, so I don't think it is just makeup. Or maybe she is regularly donating blood as part of some convoluted conspiracy.

20. - Top - End - #1220

SamuraiGuy

Considering Tarvek's sister and Martellus' work with animals, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Seffie was a form of undead or someone kept alive by Sparky tricks a la Elric of Melnibone. Messing with the essences of living creatures is what the family does.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"Girl Genius XXXIII: Observe my mighty clank army and tremble!"

The bangers just keep coming.
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, with so many allied big players in one place something is going to go very wrong.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

23. - Top - End - #1223

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post

Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Okay, with so many allied big players in one place something is going to go very wrong.
    The Other / Polar Lords / Martellus have to be very interested. And Martellus is currently Chekov's Spark, having been mentioned several times recently as "where is he, what's he up to, will these scheming rulers ally with him?". And of course Seffie is absolutely on his side despite what she may say about Tarvek and helping Agatha. Or, rather, she's on her own side, and Martellus is her ticket to power behind the Lightning Throne status.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post

Noted, alongside Girl Genius XXXIII: I've got to read more poetry

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Other / Polar Lords / Martellus have to be very interested. And Martellus is currently Chekov's Spark, having been mentioned several times recently as "where is he, what's he up to, will these scheming rulers ally with him?". And of course Seffie is absolutely on his side despite what she may say about Tarvek and helping Agatha. Or, rather, she's on her own side, and Martellus is her ticket to power behind the Lightning Throne status.
    Here is a thought, what if the current storyline is heading towards Seffie having to make a choice? Will she stand by Martellus or Gil when the proverbial feces hits the fan. Could make for a good story and some nice character development that don't have to take all that long to tell.

26. - Top - End - #1226

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
    Here is a thought, what if the current storyline is heading towards Seffie having to make a choice? Will she stand by Martellus or Gil when the proverbial feces hits the fan. Could make for a good story and some nice character development that don't have to take all that long to tell.
    Choosing between brother and unrequited love, she's likely to go with brother and seek vengeance upon the man who spurned her. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, after all.
    When first introduced she was notable for her scheming and creepy laugh, along with being perfectly OK with Martellus cutting a path of murder through the entire family. I am not at all trusting of her, but OTOH, I don't think Tarvek is, either, so not only does the spy network have someone watching her, but the people who watch the people who watch the spies watching her have people watching them. Two layers deep.

But yes, she's one of the side characters with some real potential for a good solid subplot. And I imagine that when we find out what happened to Grandma, we'll find that she has some involvement either in the disappearance or the resolution.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Good English food? Now this is the least realistic thing in this comic.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I guess this was an ill-timed April's Fools update. I find that they have the Parisian princess praising this British bread to be somehow adding insult to injury. There's no way the very best bakeries in the entire world aren't already in Paris, come on. It's like if they had an Italian character marveling at the quality of non-Italian pasta...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hey! We have good food! Admittedly pinchedborrowed from other people, but...

No, seriously. We have Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud, the Full English Breakfast (in my case, sans black pudding), Fish 'n' Chips, the Cornish Pastie... We don't make a big thing about our food, we just enjoy it.

And yes, I have eaten at French resturants - please excuse the spelling going forward: Escargot (although not exported from Mechanicsberg) were OK if a little chewy, and I rather liked Duck a l'Orange (mostly because I like duck) but I detested Pate de Fois Gras, and my whole feeling was that the entire menu was trying to be better than it actually was.

Of course, that may be a "resturant" thing. I imagine that most people don't put too much thought into the everyday food. I remember the old quote from Dave Barry in Daze of wine and noses:

As it happened, I was sitting next to a French person named Mary, and I asked her if people in France carry on this way about wine. "No, " she said, "they just drink it. They're more used to it."

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, this is sweet stuff and we're good at sweat stuff!

Like it's true that we can't make a great onion soup like you can (and neither can the Americans, they always serve it wrong). But when it comes to cakes and biscuits? We know how to make something delicious.

Why else would we have an obesity problem with such bad food?

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I guess this was an ill-timed April's Fools update. I find that they have the Parisian princess praising this British bread to be somehow adding insult to injury. There's no way the very best bakeries in the entire world aren't already in Paris, come on. It's like if they had an Italian character marveling at the quality of non-Italian pasta...
    Biscuits actually. Also while French bakeries are decent I'd still argue that English cakes and biscuits are superior, and even the puddings can be satisfied stodge.

Plus English bread is pretty decent. The best French bread is admittedly better, but also goes stale five minutes after it's left the oven. But if you want a satisfying sandwich English bread is the way to go: just put butter on one slice, mustard on the other, and a piece of ham in the middle.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.