New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Spontaneous Divine Casters?

Are there any spontaneous divine casters in 3.5, besides the unearthed arcana variants of Cleric and Druid?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Spontaneous Divine Casters?

The shugenja, the favoured soul and the spirit shaman are spontaneous divine casters. (The last one straddles the line because he can switch out his known spells every day.)

Edit: If we go setting specific, we also have the mystic in Dragonlance and the templar in Dark Sun (the latter is 3rd party).

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Sha'ir for an extreme edge case, I guess?

Heading into PrC territory, we have the Emissary of Barachiel and Justice of Weald and Woe.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Are there any spontaneous divine casters in 3.5, besides the unearthed arcana variants of Cleric and Druid?
    Backport the Oracle or Inquisitor from Pathfinder; that's not going to break anything in 3.5.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Very similar question (and I don't quite think it worth a separate topic) are there any other ways to get some good Cleric or healing spells on a spontaneous arcane caster besides Rainbow Servant?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...d-a-Spell-List

7. - Top - End - #7

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Evangelist - Cleric variant - from Dragon #311

If PrC with their own spellcasting are OK - then also Emissary of Barachiel, Justice of Weald and Woe, and Purebreath Devotee (Dragon #314)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Also many inherently-spellcasting monsters, like chromatic dragons and couatls. They count as arcane casters,but their spell lists often include the cleric (or in a few cases druid) list and some domains.

If you just want "some healing", you can also use the Arcane Disciple feat (some restrictions apply).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

A Mystic Maevan.... a Wild-Soul.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Also many inherently-spellcasting monsters, like chromatic dragons and couatls. They count as arcane casters,but their spell lists often include the cleric (or in a few cases druid) list and some domains.

If you just want "some healing", you can also use the Arcane Disciple feat (some restrictions apply).
    Acane disciple + Versatile Spellcaster = bypass once per day limit.

The combo is especially effective on a warmage.

Otherwise it's rules legal for sorcs to learn bard spells from scrolls and vice-versa, with DM permission of course.
    Last edited by Darg; 2023-06-10 at 06:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Favored Soul (Miniatures Handbook) is exactly what you're looking for IMO.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Favored Soul (Miniatures Handbook) is exactly what you're looking for IMO.
    Favoured Soul is a dual-casting stat (CHA/WIS) class with delayed spell levels and no Turning/Rebuking. The UA Spontaneous Cleric is very, very strictly superior unless one's specifically after the mostly mediocre boons Favoured Soul gets.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Favoured Soul is a dual-casting stat (CHA/WIS) class with delayed spell levels and no Turning/Rebuking. The UA Spontaneous Cleric is very, very strictly superior unless one's specifically after the mostly mediocre boons Favoured Soul gets.
    I know, but OP specifically asked to not include it, so it's the best alternative I could think of.

Generalist Sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Otherwise it's rules legal for sorcs to learn bard spells from scrolls and vice-versa, with DM permission of course.
    I didn't know that spontaneous casters could learn any spells from scrolls, let alone spells that aren't on their class list. That's a spellbook thing after all. Got any sources on that?

16. - Top - End - #16

I know, but OP specifically asked to not include it, so it's the best alternative I could think of.
    I'd pick Shugenja over Favoured Soul any day of the week, honestly (although that's mostly because of their spell list, admittedly). And then there's Mystic, of course, which is still far better, if not quite as good as Spontaneous Cleric and from a published book (rather than DMag).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd pick Shugenja over Favoured Soul any day of the week, honestly (although that's mostly because of their spell list, admittedly). And then there's Mystic, of course, which is still far better, if not quite as good as Spontaneous Cleric and from a published book (rather than DMag).
    Not really familiar with the Shugenja. What book is it in?

The Mystic is Setting specific, which could be a restriction; However it is a good call.

Generalist Sorcerer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not really familiar with the Shugenja. What book is it in?

The Mystic is Setting specific, which could be a restriction; However it is a good call.
    The 3.5 version is in the complete divine - the same book where you can find the latest print of the favored soul.

In 3.0 the shugenja was printed in Oriental Adventures.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    The 3.5 version is in the complete divine - the same book where you can find the latest print of the favored soul.

In 3.0 the shugenja was printed in Oriental Adventures.
    Probably completelly overlooked it then. Weird.

Generalist Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'd pick Shugenja over Favoured Soul any day of the week, honestly (although that's mostly because of their spell list, admittedly).
    That may be the first time I've ever heard anyone say the shugenja spell list is better than the cleric spell list. It's so restrictive, though! It doesn't bother you that they have to pay a shugenja tax on half their spell list?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Evangelist - Cleric variant - from Dragon #311
    This is nice, a divine sorcerer with spontaneous cleric casting.

Gets 2 domains (and their spells known) at level 1, 3 domains at level 5 (so prestiging out before 5 disrupts this), 4 domains at level 10, 5 domains at level 15, and 6 domains at level 20.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    That may be the first time I've ever heard anyone say the shugenja spell list is better than the cleric spell list. It's so restrictive, though! It doesn't bother you that they have to pay a shugenja tax on half their spell list?
    Not at all! As in, it's not "better" as such, but it doesn't bother me in any way. See, Favoured Soul is, in a nutshell, "Let's Give a Spontaneous Chassis Access to a Good List, Then Nerf the Whole Thing into Sweet Oblivion and Beyond – the Class". It's just horrible design all around. Shugenja is not a particularly strong class, no, and its spell list is short, without extensive support. But! Instead of being a generic kitchen sink random nightmare, it is wonderfully tight, thematically speaking, and it includes loads of normally arcane-only spells.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

...Nerf the Whole Thing into Sweet Oblivion and Beyond...
    Why do you think of it as nerfed so far? My impression is that Favored Soul is reasonably effective. Not quite a tier 1 caster, but still fairly potent.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Not at all! As in, it's not "better" as such, but it doesn't bother me in any way. See, Favoured Soul is, in a nutshell, "Let's Give a Spontaneous Chassis Access to a Good List, Then Nerf the Whole Thing into Sweet Oblivion and Beyond – the Class". It's just horrible design all around. Shugenja is not a particularly strong class, no, and its spell list is short, without extensive support. But! Instead of being a generic kitchen sink random nightmare, it is wonderfully tight, thematically speaking, and it includes loads of normally arcane-only spells.
    Don't know if you've seen this thread but you might find it useful if you want to expand your character's spell list.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

FWIW, there are also such feats as Domain Spontaneity, Spontaneous Healer, Spontaneous Summoner, and Spontaneous Wounder

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Or you can look up the Rokugan sourcebooks. The shugenja is originally from there, after all, and many of them should include some extra spells. Does have the problem that they are based on 3.0, and some of them may not make sense outside of Rokugan, but it's something.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Why do you think of it as nerfed so far? My impression is that Favored Soul is reasonably effective. Not quite a tier 1 caster, but still fairly potent.
    You don't get the abilities that make Clerics good (particularly at low levels), and instead of knowing all the Cleric spells you know a pretty limited number of Cleric spells. It's not a bad class, but it is close to bottom-3 in terms of 9-level casters, and it is very strongly overshadowed by the Cleric.
    Last edited by RandomPeasant; 2023-06-10 at 06:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I didn't know that spontaneous casters could learn any spells from scrolls, let alone spells that aren't on their class list. That's a spellbook thing after all. Got any sources on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 54 Spells feature
    These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an unusual sorcerer/wizard spell (one not on the sorcerer/wizard spell list in this book) could select that spell as one of his new spells for attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB pg 179 Adding Spells to a Sorcerer’s or Bard’s Repertoire
    With the DM’s permission, sorcerers and bards can also select the spells they gain from new and unusual spells that they have gained some understanding of (see Spells in the sorcerer description, page 54). For instance, when Hennet the sorcerer becomes 2nd level, he gains an additional 0-level spell. He can pick that spell from the 0-level spells on the sorcerer and wizard spell list, or he might have learned an unusual spell from an arcane scroll or spellbook.
    Even if one doesn't think it would allow sorcerers to learn bard spells, it would be legal to learn from an arcane disciple's scroll.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Even if one doesn't think it would allow sorcerers to learn bard spells, it would be legal to learn from an arcane disciple's scroll.
    This claim, just like the one about bard spells, suffers from the problem of all theoretical optimization: on the numerous occasions that something requires a DM call (explicitly, in the case of all the text you linked), it substitutes an imagined DM who says yes to everything.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know why you'd muck about learning spells from scrolls by some complicated DM call. Just use dragonblood spell-pact and shuffle stuff around however you want.