New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fall in the Mall 1987 - AFMBE IC

Be with you iiiin a moment. Giselle tells Katy and Betsy, breaking formation immediately as she spots her target. That was super easy. And there's audience; she can embarrass Manny. Publically. This is so much better than she hoped. Only waiting for just long enough to see the girls go on and out of picture, she strides up with newfound energy to the big guy, pushing past the other three as though she barely noticed their presence and stopping mere inches away from Manny, her arms crossed most sternly afore her chest. Manny dearest, where have you been? she asks, the tone quite dramatically cold.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-10-13 at 11:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

"What?" Vincent called out, startled, looking around to see Josh talking to him. "Oh, yeah, I set them all up, got everything ready a few days ago and then did the final touches earlier," he boasted, maybe a bit loud, glancing at Rebecca to see if she'd heard him. "It's more of a... I haven't really been thinking about jobs, but I'm probably going to go to college in something like that? I hear a few places are offering programs. Or maybe engineering or something. Electrical, maybe? Or something of a mix? I'm not sure. Things are kind of changing fast lately." Certainly, he had other things on his mind than talking about college right now. "Uhm... What about you? What are your plans?" he asked back, more to be polite than to hope for an answer.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Prior to entering the ladies’ room, Katy leaves the flag leaned against a wall outside, since managing it in the stalls was going to be awkward. And Rebecca might need it to fend off boys oh wait Josh was with her, never mind, she'd be fine. It would still be awkward to juggle in the stalls. She tells Becca “Arr, be guardin’ yon flag with yer life, matey!” before winking and stepping into the bathroom. She’d pick it up again on her way out.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    John rounds the corner to see an adult woman banging on the entrance door with a frantic look on her face. Her car lights on a few feet behind her John can see, from the exhaust in the colder October air, that it is still running.
    John calls out "Ma'am, calm down! No need to bang down the door." He pulls out his standard issue security flashlight and holds it at his shoulder as he approaches about 3 feet from the door and calls "What is going on? The mall is closed." He is glancing between her and the car just behind her, assessing any potential threat.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Eleanor rolls her eyes at the sound of the whispering kids behind her, this is exactly why she rarely goes to the cinema. Well, that and the cost. She suppresses the immediate urge to turn around and shush them. For now, at least. Though she does shoot an annoyed glance back at them, mostly to see if this was likely a one-off outburst or only the beginning. Maybe she was better off back in her corner...
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

6. - Top - End - #36

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Interaction: [roll=Will+Social]1d10+2[/roll] (John doesn't have any social skills [Glossophobia explains why]). Perception: peepers - (1d10+7)[8] (Perception +2, Notice +3, Situational Awareness +2)

* post roll count doesn't match database

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler: roll again
    Show
    "willpower" - (1d10+2)[10] (John doesn't have any social skills). peepers - (1d10-5)[3] (and apparently can't see with the headlights in his eyes)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe it was the commanding tone or perhaps just the sight of someone in a position of control that gave the woman pause. Her pounding on the door ceased and she motioned for John to come to the door. She started talking loudly so her voice could be heard through the door. Sir I am here to take my daughter. The city has gone mad. I think it started with a prank by some of the college kids but then a police officer shot one of the kids and now there is massive protests and crowds in the western half of the city. It's moving this way. Please let me in so I can take my daughter and drive to my mother's up North. Got to get out of here quickly. The city is falling apart. Please I just need my daughter Betsy Jones. If you could bring her here I'll wait in the car.
    Beyond Mrs. Jones car running in the parking lot John could see what looked like reflections of fires and flashing lights in the far distance off towards the West. It did look like part of the city had descended into chaos.

Outside the ladies room Betsy Jones held tight to Katy's Pirate Flagpole. She nodded and smiled at some classmates who walked by. Argh! Be ye warned there's pirates about. she said with a wink. She was having a great night with Josh and the girls. She hoped Katy wouldn't be in the restroom too long she wanted to get back to the movie marathon.

Rebecca turns around armed with a fresh large paper cup of soda and sees Josh talking to Vincent. Hi there Vince. Oh college I haven't given it much thought yet. I think I might try working a bit first. Not sure. Josh grabs his own coke and states proudly It's the Navy for me. I'm going to try to be one of them special forces folks but will probably end up mopping the deck of a submarine for all of my luck. Josh laughs and continues. Hey come sit with us Vincent if you're going to catch the next movie. Could use a little more Y chromosomes around. Rebecca dramatically rolls her eyes at the comment and heads back to the Pirate Crew's seats two rows behind Eleanor.

Manny frowns then smile seeing Giselle. Been here the last two hours. I'd ask how you got in but hey I'm here so anything possible. You need anything tonight? I got the usual and little something more too if you're interested. Manny plays it real cool still leaning against the wall between the bathroom doors. He puts a hand in his coat pocket and waits for your response. Usual price. he adds with a smile.

9. - Top - End - #39

Giselle pinches the bridge of her nose with a sigh, and still quite the dramatic one at that. Model citizen here, remember? I walked in packing an invite. A-anyhow, Manny. I've been trying to get you for two ****in' days now; what was that about? she begins to inquire, only to wave the question away with a quick hand gesture of infinite charity. You know what? Never mind. she slips closer, putting a shoulder against the wall, still pointedly ignoring anyone not called Manny. You fix me up. What's today's special?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy finishes her business in the ladies’ washroom and emerges, drying her hands. She retrieves the flag from Betsy. “Thankee, wench, I be takin’ the wheel now!” she says with a grin. Then in a normal voice, asks, “Should we grab more snacks before we head back?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

"Hi... uhm... Hi!" Vince replied to Rebecca, trying not to grin himself silly. She recognized him! She knew his name! Of course, she was gone almost immediately, but that felt like progress! "Yes!" he called out quickly to Josh, maybe a bit too loudly. "I mean, yes, of course, he tried to correct before going over to sit next to Rebecca. he was actually sitting next to her! He felt his face redden. "Hi... Hey..." he said. He felt his face redden and he was unable to look right at her. His mind grasped for anything to say. "You... like... movie?" he struggled out.

12. - Top - End - #42

Maybe it was the commanding tone or perhaps just the sight of someone in a position of control that gave the woman pause. Her pounding on the door ceased and she motioned for John to come to the door. She started talking loudly so her voice could be heard through the door. Sir I am here to take my daughter. The city has gone mad. I think it started with a prank by some of the college kids but then a police officer shot one of the kids and now there is massive protests and crowds in the western half of the city. It's moving this way. Please let me in so I can take my daughter and drive to my mother's up North. Got to get out of here quickly. The city is falling apart. Please I just need my daughter Betsy Jones. If you could bring her here I'll wait in the car.
    Beyond Mrs. Jones car running in the parking lot John could see what looked like reflections of fires and flashing lights in the far distance off towards the West. It did look like part of the city had descended into chaos.
    John is relieved to hear the lady calming a bit. He attempts to reassure her "I will go find one of the school officials to get your daughter and bring her here." He then heads off to find the principle or whoever he can that is in charge. He doesn't really want to get involved, but he is probably one of the only ones with keys to front door. When he finds someone he relays "There's some lady at the front door wanting to take her daughter out of here. Raving about some unrest in the city. I think the name was Betty or Bethany Jones. Something like that." He half hopes the official will dismiss the idea and he can pawn off getting rid of the lady onto the school official.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2023-10-18 at 12:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Principal Klander greeted John with a smile that turned to a frown when she heard that a parent was here to pick up their student. This was highly irregular. Betsy Jones I presume. She's one of our more driven and intelligent students I'll see if I can't locate her. Follow me. I'll need your help unlocking the doors and letting this student out. I'd prefer to keep the other students ignorant of the unrest in the city wouldn't do to ruin their reward night because other people can't behave. With that the teacher set out to find Betsy remembering that the girl was with her friends dressed as pirates the Principal added. Betsy and her friends are all dressed as pirates. I even recall seeing Katy with her colorguard flag decorated as the Jolly Roger.

Meanwhile upstairs by the bathrooms Giselle is trying her best to put Manny through the wringer. Manny calmly pulls his hand out of his pocket a rubber-band bound 5 pack of cigarettes surreptitiously cupped in his palm. That squares us away Cuz. He asks smiling. Of course if you finally wanted to try it I do have some joints tonight. he adds in a softer voice.

Back at the movie marathon seats Rebecca gives Vincent a confused look and then a polite smile. She looks relieved when Betsy and Katy return. She gets up from her seat and moves to the end of the row to let the girls in. The two girls file in past Rebecca seating down on the other side. Leaving the current seating as Josh Vincent Betsy Katy then Rebecca. Rebecca leans into to whisper something to Katy.
    Spoiler: Katy
    Show
    Josh asked that weirdo Vincent to join us. Such a nerd. So awkward. He asked if I quote "you like movie?"

With the pirate flag back at the movie marathon Principal Klander points out there target to John as the lights go down and the opening credits to Little Shop of Horrors begin to scroll across the projector screen.

14. - Top - End - #44

Vincent was crestfallen. He'd barely managed to talk to Rebecca and he'd already blown it. The movie started, but he wasn't into it. Some loser started singing about how awful the placed he live din was. He'd probably find love. They always did. Vince hoped he'd end up eaten.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy glanced over in Vincent’s direction as Becca spoke, to see who she was talking about. She then whispered back,

Spoiler: Rebecca
    Show
    Ooo, yeah, that’s awkward. Did you want to leave? Don’t worry, I got your back.

Katy started checking around her for a drink in case she needed to accidentally-on-purpose spill something to facilitate a quick getaway for her friend.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Principal Klander greeted John with a smile that turned to a frown when she heard that a parent was here to pick up their student. This was highly irregular. Betsy Jones I presume. She's one of our more driven and intelligent students I'll see if I can't locate her. Follow me. I'll need your help unlocking the doors and letting this student out. I'd prefer to keep the other students ignorant of the unrest in the city wouldn't do to ruin their reward night because other people can't behave. With that the teacher set out to find Betsy remembering that the girl was with her friends dressed as pirates the Principal added. Betsy and her friends are all dressed as pirates. I even recall seeing Katy with her colorguard flag decorated as the Jolly Roger.

[...]

With the pirate flag back at the movie marathon Principal Klander points out there(sic) target to John as the lights go down and the opening credits to Little Shop of Horrors begin to scroll across the projector screen.
    John tries to suppress a sigh as the principle says she needs him to stay with her, but follows her around. As they approach the theater, John can feel his stomach knotting up at the thought of the crowd of teenagers in there and having to address them. He is very glad for his decision to involve Principle Klander and that she would be the one to have to engage the crowd. John waits at the back as she does whatever she needs to to get the girl to leave. He grabs his key-ring and half-heartedly starts flipping keys just to appear busy, so no one is likely to engage him as the movie starts.

17. - Top - End - #47

A folded banknote emerges from a pocket of Giselle's own, and replaces the contraband in Manny's palm, the latter getting vanished with practiced speed and ease. That's gonna do, Manny. she pronounces, as if doing the guy a favour, a corner of her lips curling somewhat disdainfully down at the mention of joints (sh'yeah, like she doesn't need her brain anymore!). Later. Maybe. she pushes herself off the wall to begin pulling away, not to so much as look back and to find… Her friedns apparently forgot she was still herabouts. She eats a nascent sigh. Katy and Betsy. So typically Katy and Betsy. Such scatterbrains. It's a good thing she knows where they went, at least.

And so, her next break accounted for, Giselle heads back to the movie theatre, pleased but displeased. Such is life.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-10-19 at 09:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Giselle returns to the movie marathon seats to see the next movie already started. Looks like another boy is with the group. The computer geek Victor or Vinny something like that. As she makes her way over to an open seat in the row Principal Klander slides into the row and leans over Rebecca and Katy to whisper something to Betsy.

Pardon only take a moment. Principal Klander whispers to Rebecca and Katy as she blocks out view of the screen. She leans over and whispers to Betsy. Your mother is here and is demanding to see you. Come with me please. Betsy looks confused and irritated but she stuffs her remaining snacks into her purse and grabs her drink squeezing past Katy and Rebecca giving a whispered My Mom is here. with a shrug. As Betsy files out Rebecca turns to Kay. Should we go with it could be bad news like a family member died or something? Doesn't her grandmother have cancer?

Poor Eleanor all she wanted to do was watch a movie in peace, but first there was the annoying boys behind her and now the Principal was causing a scene two rows back.

John standing off a short ways behind the seats as the girl in question is getting up. Officer Mendoza slides up next to him. Hey John, heard the banging on the door what's the news?

19. - Top - End - #49

The principal gets a pleasant little wave and smile, all silent, naturally, from Giselle before she'd sink into the seat beside Josh, flopping her head on his shoulder, her face decidedly grumpier already. Thought you'd wait up. she murmurs upwards. Where's Betsy going, anyhow? And where did you find that she motions towards… V-v-v-v-v… Oh, right, none other than Wince the Weirdo(; joy!), only to alter the phrasing with a wooden guy? thrown in at the end. It's unladylike to be that rude aloud, after all.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

As Betsy files out Rebecca turns to Kay. Should we go with it could be bad news like a family member died or something? Doesn't her grandmother have cancer?
    Figuring this was a better escape for Becca than Katy dumping a drink on someone, Katy hastily agreed. “Yeah, let’s go.” And Becca was right, too; Betsy might need some morale support.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

As she hears more murmuring behind her, Eleanor gives a quick glance over her shoulder, starting to actually feel a little frustrated. One nice night out, reading and watching movies while her mother worked the night shift, was that too much to- wait, was that Principal Klander? Why were they over here? She briefly contemplates going over to find out, but no. She'd only get in the way. She glances around the room to see if there was anything else weird before sitting back down in her seat, half paying attention to the movie but also doing her best to hear what the commotion with the Principal was about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would it be appropriate to make a Notice roll of some sort to have an idea what's going on? I'm guessing that would be 1d10 + Perception + Notice? So (1d10+5)[11] If not, ignore this, figured I'd save time if it was needed.

Added a little extra to Eleanor's backstory as well, since it was still a little bare-bones. Put in a bit more about her mother and upbringing.
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2023-10-24 at 09:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

John standing off a short ways behind the seats as the girl in question is getting up. Officer Mendoza slides up next to him. Hey John, heard the banging on the door what's the news?
    John jumps a little as Officer Mendoza speaks up. Turning he whispers back "Hey, some parent is freaking out about civil unrest. I heard something about shots fired earlier, what is going on out there?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    The principal gets a pleasant little wave and smile, all silent, naturally, from Giselle before she'd sink into the seat beside Josh, flopping her head on his shoulder, her face decidedly grumpier already. Thought you'd wait up. she murmurs upwards. Where's Betsy going, anyhow? And where did you find thatguy?
    Josh looks down at Giselle and pats her head. Missed me then. I went with Becca to get drinks during the break. Vince was up at the counter. You know Vince, right? Josh says softly in answer. Not sure where the others are going but something is up with Betsy though. He adds nodding in the departing girls direction Should we follow? turning to his right he leans over to Vince. Hey Vince you know Giselle right?

Two rows forward Eleanor's sharp ears picked up enough of the annoying chatter to understand that Betsy's mom had come to pick her up for some reason. The other girls thought it might be bad news that couldn't wait. Eleanor's glance around the room took in the fact that the security guard and one of the assigned police officers were talking with worried looks on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    John jumps a little as Officer Mendoza speaks up. Turning he whispers back "Hey, some parent is freaking out about civil unrest. I heard something about shots fired earlier, what is going on out there?"
    Officer Mendoza's face grows visible more concerned. Not sure John. Here's what I can tell you. It seems that there was reports of a mob of costumed people attacking civilians. A responding officer fired shots when the crowd was unresponsive. The report I heard was that the target was on some drugs or something and didn't respond to several body shots but kept on coming towards the officer until a headshot brought the guy down. That's when reports started coming in of other incidents. The chief dictated that all comunication go through our new encrypted channels and guess who's old radios don't work with that channel. Chief called Smith and Jones away for backup and stated that two babysitters were enough when there's chaos in the streets. But I'm in the dark as much as you right now. Is there a TV around somewhere maybe the news has got something? Mendoza quickly shuts her mouth as Principal Klander approaches followed by a gathering of teen girls.

Okay here's the girl. You ready to unlock the door? Principal Klander asks John pointing to Betsy.

24. - Top - End - #54

Vincent was pulled out of his self-pyting sulk by Josh addressing him. And, despite himself, he had to admit that the music was pretty good. "I've seen her around, I think?" he said, giving a small wave to Giselle. He didn't really hang out much with their crowd, but, well, since he was paying so much attention to Rebecca, he had an idea who they all were. "Are you sure..." He started, looking in the direction where his crush had gone. "I'm don't think she really wants me around," he admitted.

25. - Top - End - #55

Officer Mendoza's face grows visible more concerned. Not sure John. Here's what I can tell you. It seems that there was reports of a mob of costumed people attacking civilians. A responding officer fired shots when the crowd was unresponsive. The report I heard was that the target was on some drugs or something and didn't respond to several body shots but kept on coming towards the officer until a headshot brought the guy down. That's when reports started coming in of other incidents. The chief dictated that all comunication go through our new encrypted channels and guess who's old radios don't work with that channel. Chief called Smith and Jones away for backup and stated that two babysitters were enough when there's chaos in the streets. But I'm in the dark as much as you right now. Is there a TV around somewhere maybe the news has got something? Mendoza quickly shuts her mouth as Principal Klander approaches followed by a gathering of teen girls.

Okay here's the girl. You ready to unlock the door? Principal Klander asks John pointing to Betsy.
    John wants to ask more questions to Mendoza, but knows that the wrong thing could spook everybody unnecessarily. COs keeping calm kept the troops calm; though this was a largely different situation, it still applied. All John can muster is "Yes, ma'am" as the crowd size was starting to get a little big for his liking, especially with unpredictable teenagers.

26. - Top - End - #56

The smarm and head pat earns a grunt and soft punch from Giselle, but she's not really angry at all. Josh… He's many things, but good at inspiring anger, he's not. Yes(, hey, Vincent!) and… she considers her options; going with means they'd ditch Vince and all the awkwardness hanging about. But it would take actually getting up and doing something, and she has a whole Josh between herself and the weird guy anyhow. …not really, no. Path of least resistence it is. It's prob'ly nothing. And I just freakin' sat down, you wouldn't drag me off already, would you Josh?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-10-26 at 11:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Katy just shamelessly eavesdropped on the adults, trying not to draw unnecessary attention to herself while she tried to figure out what was going on.

[spoiler=OoC]How much of that could I hear?

Roll if I need it:
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d10+6)[14] – Perception, Notice, Acute Hearing included
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Eleanor settles back into her seat, though her attention is less on the movie and more on the security guard and police officer. She watches them leave with the Principal and the girls with a worried look on her face. She resolves to ask one of them about it politely once this fuss dies down, after all between the staff and the police there shouldn't be anything super bad or urgent. She tries to go back to watching the movie, but with the occasional glance around.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Katy just shamelessly eavesdropped on the adults, trying not to draw unnecessary attention to herself while she tried to figure out what was going on.

[spoiler=OoC]How much of that could I hear?

Roll if I need it:
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    [roll0] – Perception, Notice, Acute Hearing included
    Spoiler: Katy
    Show

Impressive roll let's agree that Katie heard the last bit.
    "Chief called Smith and Jones away for backup and stated that two babysitters were enough when there's chaos in the streets. But I'm in the dark as much as you right now. Is there a TV around somewhere maybe the news has got something?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

John, Officer Mendoza and Principal Klander followed by the trio of girls reach the top of the escalator and start heading towards the doors. Exhaust from Ms. Jones car billows outside the doors obscuring the view of the city beyond but through the haze flashing lights can be seen reflecting off tall buildings. There definitely was something going on out there in the greater city of Columbia.
    Principal Klander looks nervously at John for support. Betsy lets out a gasp when she sees her mother weeping behind the steering wheel of their running car. Mrs. Jones looks up from the steering wheel chokes back some sobs and smiles at the girls behind the glass door.
    Spoiler: John and Katy
    Show

Can I get a perception test? Does John unlock the door?