New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VIII: Hotter Than What's In Sydney's Lunchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That youve seen Big Bang Theory?
    True. Now that I think about it, Sheldon's reason for always knocking three times is very applicable to Dabbler.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    What does it say of me, if I very much expected Max to repeat that "knock, knock, knock, Dabbler" a third time?
    Maxima at least is a good leader, always trying to get the best out of her people and being compassionate when they need it.
    She doesn't know yet what Dabbler has done.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, just noticed that one of the people on the demon team is one of that species of magical symbiotes (like the ringleader of the team that tried to kidnap Maxima), presumably inhabiting a construct body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Oh, just noticed that one of the people on the demon team is one of that species of magical symbiotes (like the ringleader of the team that tried to kidnap Maxima), presumably inhabiting a construct body.
    Which suddenly has become a very relevant detail.

Lack of passive defenses is Sydney's true weakness. She has extremely powerful equipment, but underneath she is a regular unpowered human.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

Well THIS could get interesting. I wonder if there is some sort of passive mind control or body jacking protection in the orbs? Going by the spaceship analogy thats been used for awhile now, security, or antivirus protection wouldnt be amiss. If not, then we are going to maybe get a chance to see just how broken a ruthless orb user can be. Sydney is pretty much a solid lock for second most powerful member of arcswat due to her versatility and raw power in all aspects.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or possibly how destructive an untrained orb user is. We've only seen in flashbacks how Sidney learned what the PPO does; its quite likely Lapha doesn't know anything about their individual functions.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2024-02-12 at 01:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe this will reveal what the last orb does.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Maybe this will reveal what the last orb does.
    Thats what I meant, the mystery orb function might be some form of protection for the wielder getting mind jacked or whatever.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats what I meant, the mystery orb function might be some form of protection for the wielder getting mind jacked or whatever.
    I was thinking it might have some power that Lapha can use but Sydney can't.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Suddenly I see why it was necessary to get Dabbler out of comission.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suddenly I see why it was necessary to get Dabbler out of comission.
    ... you say that, yet my primary thought is 'finally, something is happening that's not more succubus bull****!'

And I'm sure I'm not the only one curious as to what protections the ancient's IT guy programmed into the orbs.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

This does look like it could get very interesting indeed. Finally things are picking up.
    It seems quite plausible the orbs dont offer any protection against this sort of stuff at all.
    Since well, they are not designed to be used by a human. But some possibly superior alien specie.
    Dont need to install an antivirus if your operating system already have the best on the market and all.

Though. Is not Max they need here but Dabbler. And Harem.
    Dabbler to tell them what the &%¤# is going on. Harem to bip up behind Sydney and inject her with sleepy juice before the shield is up.
    Well or stuff her body into a pair of bondage mittens. Seems we are not done with the fetish stuff yet xD
    Since well, for all her power Sydney still come with the glaring weak spot of a small human body.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm curious to see how Sydney's ADHD will affect the possessing entity. I'm also curious whether the orbs will obey the intruder or remain locked onto Sydney as long as she's still alive.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Though. Is not Max they need here but Dabbler. And Harem.
    Dabbler to tell them what the &%¤# is going on. Harem to bip up behind Sydney and inject her with sleepy juice before the shield is up.
    Well or stuff her body into a pair of bondage mittens. Seems we are not done with the fetish stuff yet xD
    Since well, for all her power Sydney still come with the glaring weak spot of a small human body.
    Surely regular mittens would work just as well. Or maybe plastic bags? That seems like it would be easier to get around her hands without her cooperation.

Also, has it been established that Daphne can't teleport through Sydney's shield?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Also, has it been established that Daphne can't teleport through Sydney's shield?
    All the way back during the restaurant brawl, yes; Sydney was inside her shield with a bad guy and it was called out specifically.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Surely regular mittens would work just as well. Or maybe plastic bags? That seems like it would be easier to get around her hands without her cooperation.
    Mittens, plastic bags or gloves would work just as well yeah. Issue is they are easier getting off.
    Honestly its likely close to impossibly to get either of them on her before she/it are drugged.
    But after it will make for easy containment while the issue are resolved.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'd just like to get in before anybody complains and point out that the demon possessing Sydney isn't actually doing anything wrong. In their culture it's perfectly normal to subjugate the the will of another being and anyone suggesting that taking total control of another being is just being overly sensitive and applying human morals to an alien species. /s

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'd just like to get in before anybody complains and point out that the demon possessing Sydney isn't actually doing anything wrong. In their culture it's perfectly normal to subjugate the the will of another being and anyone suggesting that taking total control of another being is just being overly sensitive and applying human morals to an alien species. /s
    Tongue in cheek aside, we literally just had a page explaining that this is in fact illegal in alien society.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Tongue in cheek aside, we literally just had a page explaining that this is in fact illegal in alien society.
    Prudes!!!!

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #200

Well, looks like the orbs can tell she isnt in control of her body. Thats comforting. otherwise the only advantage they would have is the newbie doesnt know the full scale of what the orbs can do. Most have multiple functions after all. But thats like a 5 minute window at best before she gets decent at using them.

21. - Top - End - #201

OldWizardGuy

I wasn't all that worried. Nth-level tech should be able to distinguish the thought patterns of its host. Lapha's are unlikely to be anything like Sydney's.
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    I wasn't all that worried. Nth-level tech should be able to distinguish the thought patterns of its host. Lapha's are unlikely to be anything like Sydney's.
    Heck, Id expect it to be able to read the quantum pattern of her soul emanations or some other obscure really hard to fake bit of nuance. But it all boils down to the same thing, however its detection works, it knows who its wielder is on a deeper thn biological level. Now we need to see if sydney can boot her out herself, or if the orbs will do it somehow, or if max and crew will force the issue when they get there, or if she will just give up and leave because obviously this isnt working how she hoped. Its entirely possible the orbs wont let her move past a certain distance seeing as they tend to be quantum locked when sydney isnt moving them. So she cant even try to run for it or teleport or whatever.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

She might try to pull off what sheriff Bart did in Blazing Saddles. Just more serious obviously.

24. - Top - End - #204

OldWizardGuy

By the way, am I alone in finding it creepy that Lapha might actually believe that she "is" Sydney, just because she's bulled her way into the cockpit and has her grubby fire-fingers on the controls? Or just that she might believe possession means that all that her host is, becomes her? Either that's some unpleasant cultural background, or Lapha's gotten too used to mindless hosts.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I mean this feels like the kind of question that's either never gonna get answered or will be answered a loooooong time down the road but...if the orbs can recognize valid users by their thoughts or souls or their fifth-dimensional mirror-shadows or whatever...then why do they work for Sydney?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #206

OldWizardGuy

We don't know what the Nth are like in their (super)natural state. Maybe Sydney resembles what they were like when still mortal, in thought if not appearance.
    And maybe the orbs had been lying in the ocean for so long that any sane(ish) sentient lifeform would do, and they glommed onto her.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

What I want to know is whether Lapha has a body to go back to, brain death takes two minutes, and she/it's possibly been out for that long already.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #208

OldWizardGuy

Isn't her other body artificially-created? It could have a 'dormant' state, like a deep trance or a coma, allowing the occupant to park it for a prolonged period of time - so they could swap bodies the way we swap clothes.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    We don't know what the Nth are like in their (super)natural state. Maybe Sydney resembles what they were like when still mortal, in thought if not appearance.
    And maybe the orbs had been lying in the ocean for so long that any sane(ish) sentient lifeform would do, and they glommed onto her.
    Gotta be honest, "Sydney's brain looks just like Nth-dimensional thoughts" isn't exactly reassuring, but for completely different reasons.

The latter answer seems more like the kind we'd get, but also feels like a copout? "The sentient nuke button programmed to not allow unauthorized users got bored of having no users, so they allowed an unauthorized user anyway"? It makes it feel like the user identification system was maybe not designed so well.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #210

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Gotta be honest, "Sydney's brain looks just like Nth-dimensional thoughts" isn't exactly reassuring, but for completely different reasons.
    It could be that Sydney at her best - channeling her hyperactivity into rapid thought and deduction - is very close to what the Nth were like as a people before they ascended.
    In that case, what the orbs sensed in her was growth potential, the chance of becoming Nth.

Or they could be damaged somehow, and the selection protocol malfunctioned.
    Last edited by Grendelkin; 2024-02-16 at 07:20 AM.