New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Marvels , you know that new superhero movie

So “The Marvels” comes out this weekend, and I figured I would make a thread here

WARNING the last trailer came out today ⚠️ and the trailer has cameo spoilers so I figured

I would warn people if they want to watch it, and I am not providing a YouTube link for the accidental absent minded clickers … and if you want cameo spoilers feel free to find it

Feel free to talk about the spoilers now, or after the movie comes out in the spoiler blocks aka
    Spoiler: SPOILERS
    Show
    sample
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2023-11-07 at 02:13 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Marvels , you know that new superhero movie

That final trailer came across as pretty desperate to me. Remember Iron Man? Remember Cap? Remember Thanos? You liked them right. They're not in this but maybe come see it anyway?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'll be seeing it opening night this week, but I don't expect it to do super well - even putting aside the looming specter of superhero / shared-universe movie fatigue, the timing of the SAG-AFTRA strike stuff meant the cast couldn't do any promotional tours. No Hot Ones, no late shows, no Wired, nothing.

If it does badly, the one silver lining is that hopefully it'll wake up the production studios to the importance of avoiding strikes in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Ironic that the first one got to coast to a billion just off the back good timing, being right before Endgame, and aggressive marketing despite being so mediocre while this movie looks doomed before it's even come out with the rest of the MCU coming to a screeching halt around it and the strike meaning most people probably don't even realize it's about to come out but it actually looks much more interesting then the first one did.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Its nice to see the AMV community has apparently gotten into making official trailers for major movie releases. Also Endgame came out 4 years ago, and everybody saw it, I don't think even the silverfish in my basement need context on this one.

But once it gets to the bits about the actual movie its for, its OK. Not fantastic, and I'd I didn't have a sneaking suspicion I'd have to watch a couple other movies and at least one TV show, much more tempting.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2023-11-07 at 03:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I probably won't catch this in theaters simply because Marvel stuff has felt so formulaic in the past few years. I thought I was burned out on superhero movies, but I loved Across the Spider-Verse earlier this year, so it's not that. I'll probably catch it after it hits streaming services. I did really like the Ms. Marvel show and think she's one of the few bright spots in the current slate. I think tying her so closely with her cultural heritage makes it a more interesting watch than most other stories which seem to have no idea what to do with their superheroes besides follow the Joseph Campbell playbook yet again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipping this one. MCU Carol is boring, I don’t know or care about Kamala, and the only thing good I can say about Monica is that I enjoyed the indirect karma of the woman she absolved of mass slavery on the basis that ‘I’d have done the same thing to get my mom back!’ going on to murder said mother.

Plus I’ve seen the leaks. Really not impressed.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_One View Post
    That final trailer came across as pretty desperate to me. Remember Iron Man? Remember Cap? Remember Thanos? You liked them right. They're not in this but maybe come see it anyway?
    It's so over. Like, I knew Endgame was the peak and it was downhill from there but I was not expecting it to be this quick of a decline.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't hate any of the things that came before but I just have zero hype for this, I will probably see it eventually by sheer inertia and family with Disney+. I watched every marvel movie so far and every tv show (except Loki season 2) but I'm just less and less interested in it. For me its not superhero fatigue I'm very much looking forward to invincible and some other superhero properties but the marvel movies have just been consistently mediocre recently. I'm not hard to please, I liked morbious well enough but most of the marvel movies are hitting at about that same level; sometimes worse because I expected better.

I love the X men but even them I'm wary of because that just means they can do a thor 4 and hurt me with the thing I loved. Theirs talk of bringing back Iron Man and Captain America but their absence is not the problem, old marvel took a bunch of obscure heroes and Made them great and new marvel took a bunch of great heroes and made them terrible.

The Disney+ thing I think is also shooting them in the foot, you need Disney+ to understand this movie (probably) and anyone with Disney+ knows they just have to wait a bit can watch it for "free".

Guardians of the galaxy was great

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Huh. Wasn't this going to be a series at some point? It's a movie now?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I am three people right now

1) Monica [curse words] Rambeau, this part of me is excited just for her
    2) the cynical of me expects to be so disappointed with #1

3) the third part of me knows that most MCU things are fine if I ignore 1 and 2, to go in chill, and have low expectations and this is the path to serenity and actually enjoying the hollow container that is the MCU. To be chill.

=====

I have no opinion with Kamala Khan. I am just at the age I no longer care about kid superheroes without a journey / arc, for the vibe is not enough. I want an arc. Yes maybe if I read the comics for Ms. Marvel I would see many arcs *laughs at myself*.

Note this logic also applies to Miles Morales a character I fell in love with and wished we had more of him sooner and I am so excited for people younger than me to experience Miles. I did read Ultimate Spidey before Miles in the late 00s (so 5 years before Miles) and his two movies have an arc so I fell in love with him. I hope the same thing happens with Kamala Khan🤞

Carol is flat to me, there are times I adore her like 80s Chris Claremont with the X-Men, but for the most part she is just a background character for me. Oh yeah she should kiss her best friend, even if (skips various long term relationships Carol has had)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I have no opinion with Kamala Khan. I am just at the age I no longer care about kid superheroes without a journey / arc, for the vibe is not enough. I want an arc. Yes maybe if I read the comics for Ms. Marvel I would see many arcs *laughs at myself*.

Note this logic also applies to Miles Morales a character I fell in love with and wished we had more of him sooner and I am so excited for people younger than me to experience Miles. I did read Ultimate Spidey before Miles in the late 00s (so 5 years before Miles) and his two movies have an arc so I fell in love with him. I hope the same thing happens with Kamala Khan🤞
    For what it's worth, the journey with Kamala is introduced in the Ms. Marvel show, which I thought had a pretty interesting blend of origin story, cultural window, and a perspective on what it is to be a new superhero in a world where superheroes are already pretty common. This is pretty similar to her introduction in the comics, since she's an Avengers fangirl in both. Where the MCU version differs is that she's not an Inhuman (since that whole section of Marvel lore fell flat on its face multiple times), but a Mutant. So her further journey is likely as the viewpoint character for introducing the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel mutants to the MCU.

That said, I doubt we'll see any of that in the movie besides maybe a stinger where she's dropped off at Xavier's School or something. The trailer makes her look more like the plucky sidekick used to emphasize how good and experienced the other two are, with the likely third act "surprise" of her coming up with a good idea, cutting through the tension between Monica and Carol, or rescuing her mentors when everything has gone wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_One View Post
    Ooh! Ooh! I 'memba!
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Huh. Wasn't this going to be a series at some point? It's a movie now?
    It was originally going to be Captain Marvel 2. One suspects Disney realized neither the character nor the actress were popular enough to carry the movie alone without the Infinity War-Endgame foundation they had for the first one.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    It was originally going to be Captain Marvel 2. One suspects Disney realized neither the character nor the actress were popular enough to carry the movie alone without the Infinity War-Endgame foundation they had for the first one.
    The movie has the highest worldwide opening weekend for a Marvel Studios film that isn't a capstone (Avengers, Endgame, etc.) and its audience exit polling gave it glowing reviews, with 93% of the respondents saying it either met or exceeded expectations. It was a well-received movie outside of a certain segment of grumbly nards on the internet.

I suspect the reason for the title change, based on what I can find, is to put more emphasis on Kamala Khan. Which makes sense since she's a popular new character on par with the likes of Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales. Several of her books won awards and were best-sellers at their release.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2023-11-07 at 07:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    For what it's worth, the journey with Kamala is introduced in the Ms. Marvel show, which I thought had a pretty interesting blend of origin story, cultural window, and a perspective on what it is to be a new superhero in a world where superheroes are already pretty common. This is pretty similar to her introduction in the comics, since she's an Avengers fangirl in both. Where the MCU version differs is that she's not an Inhuman (since that whole section of Marvel lore fell flat on its face multiple times), but a Mutant. So her further journey is likely as the viewpoint character for introducing the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel mutants to the MCU.

That said, I doubt we'll see any of that in the movie besides maybe a stinger where she's dropped off at Xavier's School or something. The trailer makes her look more like the plucky sidekick used to emphasize how good and experienced the other two are, with the likely third act "surprise" of her coming up with a good idea, cutting through the tension between Monica and Carol, or rescuing her mentors when everything has gone wrong.
    I get that, but I want to underline I want arcs for characters, adult and children alike. A child without an arc is scrappy doo. An adult without an arc reactor is a dead Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist, Da Vinci of Our Time, and Merchant of Death.

=====

Could never get into Tom Hollands Spider-Man for I want an arc with heart.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I really liked Tom Holland's Spider-Man in Homecoming, but I felt it lost the heart after that. They rushed him too fast into space and globe-trotting, when Spider-Man's biggest draw has always been the "Friendly Neighborhood" part. He's the original window into the question of how you balance superheroing with all the demands of normal life and taking Spider-Man out of New York throws that out.

I hope they give more consideration to how the trio of protagonists develop in The Marvels, but I'm not holding out much hope. The MCU seems to have lost the ability to tell a serious, dramatic story that isn't just an effects carnival to make Michael Bay proud. I'll admit I think the trailer is better than the credit it's getting and the idea of attaching a downside to Danvers' powers so she can't just blast everything might create some interesting drama.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2023-11-07 at 07:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Guardians of the galaxy was great
    Guardians 3 was, at least for me, an excellent finale for both the Guardians and the MCU. It's going to take something spectacular to get me back in a theatre to risk making that not my final memory of the great cinematic experiment. Guardians 3 made me cry. The rest of the current MCU can't even make me care.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Guardians 3 was, at least for me, an excellent finale for both the Guardians and the MCU. It's going to take something spectacular to get me back in a theatre to risk making that not my final memory of the great cinematic experiment. Guardians 3 made me cry. The rest of the current MCU can't even make me care.
    I agree, I kinda want them to keep their hands off it now; like maybe let them show up in end game level big show downs but they all kinda finished their story nothing left to say.
    Last edited by awa; 2023-11-08 at 08:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

I think this movie will definitely be used as a litmus for the current state of "superhero fatigue" for better or worse. Especially since fully understanding its starting point requires not just the previous movie, but having gotten through THREE Disney+ series, one of which was almost universally labelled a stinker. (The other two were pretty well-received however.)

As much as I love the MCU, even I'm starting to see the growing bloat and continuity snarl that comics are known for. They may need to pivot away from the shared universe model soon to something a bit more digestible that still allows for the kinds of crossovers and event showdowns they do best.

With all that said - I want at least one Spiderman movie where Tom Holland is just allowed to do the Friendly Neighborhood thing rather than doubling as Iron Lad with an AI in his head.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-11-08 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think this movie will definitely be used as a litmus for the current state of "superhero fatigue" for better or worse.
    It really should be called 'MCU fatigue'. Yes obviously for many those are just two ways of basically the exact same thing given it's pop culture dominace. If you look at the reaction to the return of Invincible though, which has bordered on the shameless gushing it has gone over that well, it's clear that it's not the superhero part thats the actual problem.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can see the plot points potentially working but I don't really know much or care about what the MCU version of the characters are. I think I'm really checked out until the cowards do the right thing and make a movie out of the Dr. Doom time travel plot from Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Just give me this Disney, let me die of meta overdose happily.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think this movie will definitely be used as a litmus for the current state of "superhero fatigue" for better or worse. Especially since fully understanding its starting point requires not just the previous movie, but having gotten through THREE Disney+ series, one of which was almost universally labelled a stinker. (The other two were pretty well-received however.)
    I don't think that people are tired of superheroes or franchises per se. Black Panther 2, Guardians 3 and the animated Spiderman movie have all made stupid huge piles of money in the last year.

But there is zero novelty left in the concept of superhero movie or shared universe. Part of this is just inevitable, Iron Man is 15 years old, for teenagers today connected superhero movies are just normal stuff their parents are probably into. That automatically makes them less cool than anything new and completely unintelligible to the olds. So the studios can't just be like "here is a superhero movie connected to some other superhero movies" and expect anybody to care just because.

The other part of the "fatigue" is that Disney figured they had achieved the entertainment company Holy Grail: a monopolized commodity they can almost factory produce with strong audience lock in, and just saturated the marketplace. I'm not wild about Marvel and never have been, but I used to be able to keep up more or less by watching like two pretty OK movies a year. That just hasn't cut it lately, but I'm not willing to watch 4 - 5 of these suckers per anum plus the TV shows just so I'm ready for the next one.

As much as I love the MCU, even I'm starting to see the growing bloat and continuity snarl that comics are known for. They may need to pivot away from the shared universe model soon to something a bit more digestible that still allows for the kinds of crossovers and event showdowns they do best.
    The irony is that the MCU up until Endgame really didn't have that tight of continuity. You could not watch a pretty significant fraction of the series and still follow along just fine. Prior to Infinity War I had not watched any of the Thor movies, the Hulk, Iron Man 3, Avengers 2, more than 25% of Avengers 1, Ant Man, and probably a couple others I can't even remember exist, and it didn't really matter, Infinity War still made sense. The characters are super broad and legible, and the stakes are both large and instantly understandable.

The problem with the multiverse stuff is that the stakes are not instantly understandable. There's multiple parallel universes and variant timelines and forked timelines and other dimensions and all of these are maybe the same and maybe different and I have no idea what the cosmology actually is because it feels like they make it up for each movie one at a time but also its all about the multiverse now so it probably should work in a fairly consistent way but I don't know what it is and I don't want to watch 20 hours of TV and 15 hours of film to find out. This is superhero nonsense, not a research project, all it needs is to set up why Punchman and Particle Effect Girl need to stop Major Vile. So if there's a new Marvel thing out and the fiancé says she's feeling like superheroes it's way more pleasant to rewatch Iron Man or something.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The problem with the multiverse stuff is that the stakes are not instantly understandable. There's multiple parallel universes and variant timelines and forked timelines and other dimensions and all of these are maybe the same and maybe different and I have no idea what the cosmology actually is because it feels like they make it up for each movie one at a time but also its all about the multiverse now so it probably should work in a fairly consistent way but I don't know what it is and I don't want to watch 20 hours of TV and 15 hours of film to find out. This is superhero nonsense, not a research project, all it needs is to set up why Punchman and Particle Effect Girl need to stop Major Vile. So if there's a new Marvel thing out and the fiancé says she's feeling like superheroes it's way more pleasant to rewatch Iron Man or something.
    The best multiverse storiesopinion follows

Are ghost stories, or perhaps we can call them creatures of fae. But let’s focus on the ghosts and the concept of the haunting for now. A multiverse can be a door or it can be an infinite space as a place. Our brains can not handle spaces that are not bounded by bodies, that lack a place.

We can understand an infinite corridor with many doors and people falling through portals such as getting lost along the way, or a ghost from the past or a world that never was yet it existed haunting your reality, your box, your space that is infused with your dream.

And now your dream is not your dream, it is shared and one thus no longer have mastery for one must share the dream with this ghost or fae who is now a stranger yet is very much present.

Edit I am just calling for Dr Strange 2016 aesthetics
    Spoiler: Surrender, Stephen
    Show

Mordo: Mastery of the sling ring is essential to the mystic arts. They allow us to travel throughout the multiverse. All you need to do is focus. Visualize. See the destination in your mind. Look beyond the world in front of you. Imagine every detail. The clearer the picture, the quicker, and easier, the gateway will come. And stop.

The Ancient One: I’d like a moment alone with Mr. Strange.

Mordo: Of course.

Dr. Stephen Strange: My hands.

The Ancient One: It’s not about your hands.

Dr. Stephen Strange: How is this not about my hands?

The Ancient One: Master Hamir. Thank you, Master Hamir. You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own.

Dr. Stephen Strange: I… I control it by surrendering control? That doesn’t make any sense.

The Ancient One: Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise. Come with me.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Wait. Is this…

The Ancient One: Everest. It’s beautiful.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Yeah, you’re right. Beautiful. It’s freezing, but… beautiful.

The Ancient One: At this temperature, a person can last for 13 minutes before suffering permanent loss of function.

Dr. Stephen Strange: Great.

The Ancient One: But you will likely go into shock within the first 2 minutes.

Dr. Stephen Strange: What?

The Ancient One: Surrender, Stephen.

Of course the joke about Strange 2016 aesthetics is you need aesthetics that ground the multi, the multi-turning the multi-verseturn. For Pete sake William James (The Varieties of Religious Experience, father of American Psychology, emphasis on pragmatism which I can not underline enough, and brother of the turn of the screw guy) coined the term multiverse

The multiverse scene of Everest I put in the spoiler blocks only works not via it’s wonder, but by its betrayal of the wonder, even the Ancient One is scared Stephen may not make it, she is nervously spinning the fan in her palms. Behind her back where Mordo can not see but the audience can. She believes in Stephen but even the magician wise one still has doubts like some form of religious prophet who is still just a man.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2023-11-08 at 12:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I guess we'll see how popular MCU's Carol Denvers is without her movie being sandwiched between the 2 biggest movies of all time and being (falsely) marketed as "required reading" for the finale of an 11-year saga.

She was riding on the coattails of Marvel at its apex, so it's only fair that she does it when the MCU is at lowest too.

But I'm sure any financial failures will be attributed to "superhero fatigue"... Because that's definitely the only reason Disney's MCU has seen flop after flop in the last couple years... There's absolutely nothing else wrong with Marvel. Nope. Not all. All movies are great and all characters are charismatic! It's just superhero fatigue... Yup.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2023-11-08 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Couple typos

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    But I'm sure any financial failures will be attributed to "superhero fatigue"... Because that's definitely the only reason Disney's MCU has seen flop after flop in the last couple years... There's absolutely nothing else wrong with Marvel. Nope. Not all. All movies are great and all characters are charismatic! It's just superhero fatigue... Yup.
    To be fair, the quality of the movies have always varied (personally, I still think the first Captain America and the second Thor might be my least favorite Marvel movies) so if the MCU movies are doing worse in general, I don't think it's unreasonable to think it's more than just the quality of the individual movies.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The movie has the highest worldwide opening weekend for a Marvel Studios film that isn't a capstone (Avengers, Endgame, etc.) and its audience exit polling gave it glowing reviews, with 93% of the respondents saying it either met or exceeded expectations. It was a well-received movie outside of a certain segment of grumbly nards on the internet.
    Reviews are basically faked at this point, and do not necessarily reflect broad popularity. At the time, I was still running a game shop, and sold literally no Capt Marvel merchandise, despite other superhero merch being reasonably popular. Groot, in particular, was something of a favorite with people.

I don't think the movie was the worst in the franchise or anything, but it's strongest bit was the buddy cop bit in the middle with Nick Fury. And of course, this was coming at a relative high point for the franchise. As a character, I don't think Capt Marvel is beloved. She just came along at a relatively good time and rode the bandwagon.

The fact that in her second movie, Disney basically emphasized the crap out of two other characters over her indicates that they also lack faith in her popularity. Is it good? I dunno. Monica Rambeau has mostly been irrelevant until this point, and I didn't care for the Marvels TV show. Might be just aimed too young for me, which is all well and good for kids, but without appealing to adults, this film looks to be in trouble, and the tie ins to Disney+ shows seem like the kind of thing dreamed up by a Disney marketing team, not as something any regular person would consider to be a good idea.

One of the strengths of the earlier MCU films were that basically anyone could just sit down and watch them without the necessity of having done anything in the way of homework. This film sort of abandons that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Could never get into Tom Hollands Spider-Man for I want an arc with heart.
    I like Holland's spiderman well enough, that I'll concede that nostalgia at least supported his last entry, and it might feel very different if I hadn't seen all the prior films. Certainly the movie has applause pauses after character appearances that would feel somewhat odd to someone just watching the film without that context. Not a bad film, but a particular kind of film.

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    GotG 3 was excellent, IMO. It's the best MCU product for a while...the rest seem to range between outright terrible(Thor 4) and kind of mediocre(Loki season two). And it is largely done. The team is pretty solidly a team now, there's very little more to mine there, and the main characters have all achieved closure. One could tack on additional adventures, but without an emotional connection, it'd be mostly filler.

Sometimes a story is just finished, and that's fine. It doesn't always need yet another sequel.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Reviews are basically faked at this point, and do not necessarily reflect broad popularity. At the time, I was still running a game shop, and sold literally no Capt Marvel merchandise, despite other superhero merch being reasonably popular. Groot, in particular, was something of a favorite with people.

I don't think the movie was the worst in the franchise or anything, but it's strongest bit was the buddy cop bit in the middle with Nick Fury. And of course, this was coming at a relative high point for the franchise. As a character, I don't think Capt Marvel is beloved. She just came along at a relatively good time and rode the bandwagon.

The fact that in her second movie, Disney basically emphasized the crap out of two other characters over her indicates that they also lack faith in her popularity. Is it good? I dunno. Monica Rambeau has mostly been irrelevant until this point, and I didn't care for the Marvels TV show. Might be just aimed too young for me, which is all well and good for kids, but without appealing to adults, this film looks to be in trouble, and the tie ins to Disney+ shows seem like the kind of thing dreamed up by a Disney marketing team, not as something any regular person would consider to be a good idea.
    It wasn't online reviews (which were mostly bombed and fake). It was post-screening audience polling and I'm not sure how you fake that. People coming out of the theater had very positive things to say about it. I'd argue that's the most honest form of reviewing you can find. Sentiment may have been changed later because of the smear campaign against the character, which would've impacted merchandise sales. And nobody wants to sport the stuff that's going to attract the "Ackshually, let me tell you why that movie was terrible..." types.

This is her second movie, though. I assume you're talking about Endgame, where she had a minor role because that movie was the capstone for the original Avengers arc and Captain Marvel is more part of their second arc plans for the franchise. Given her powers, a larger role in Endgame would've overshadowed most of the original heroes. Even in her minor role, there was a lot of grumping about how she did too much. I doubt there was ever a bigger part for them to cut down, since there's no way to fit a compelling narrative for a character who'd been missing from the continuity for 25 years into Part 2 of the Infinity War movies. She functioned as an explanation for why Thanos didn't just bomb the whole planet from orbit and nothing more, the same way a lot of the heroes were just there to throw some punches while the camera was on them.

One of the strengths of the earlier MCU films were that basically anyone could just sit down and watch them without the necessity of having done anything in the way of homework. This film sort of abandons that.
    That much I'll agree with. The MCU has fallen too hard into the mixed media, tie-in crap that keeps me from reading a lot of comics. Its strength was distilling the comics stories into digestible, stand alone bits. They've dropped the ball importing the strategy of breaking a story across multiple runs to make sense of the whole thing.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2023-11-08 at 04:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

It wasn't online reviews (which were mostly bombed and fake). It was post-screening audience polling and I'm not sure how you fake that. People coming out of the theater had very positive things to say about it. I'd argue that's the most honest form of reviewing you can find. Sentiment may have been changed later because of the smear campaign against the character, which would've impacted merchandise sales. And nobody wants to sport the stuff that's going to attract the "Ackshually, let me tell you why that movie was terrible..." types.
    I've paid zero attention to any of the characters in or the plot of the Marvels, but from experience, every time that people from Hollywood use the words "review bombed" or "smear campaign" or "online trolls", you can generally translate it to "we don't want to admit that our movie's not very good so we're going to blame the audience for not liking it enough".
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    To be fair, the quality of the movies have always varied (personally, I still think the first Captain America and the second Thor might be my least favorite Marvel movies) so if the MCU movies are doing worse in general, I don't think it's unreasonable to think it's more than just the quality of the individual movies.
    Oh, there has always been variance in quality... But the average went down very sharply recently. Phase 4 is a mess and phase 5 is no better. The one good movie they managed to produce was made by the guy who left the company to work for their biggest competitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I've paid zero attention to any of the characters in or the plot of the Marvels, but from experience, every time that people from Hollywood use the words "review bombed" or "smear campaign" or "online trolls", you can generally translate it to "we don't want to admit that our movie's not very good so we're going to blame the audience for not liking it enough".
    What are you talking about, Saph? There's NEVER any fault with the product or the soulless mega-corporation producing it... It's just that literally everyone who leaves a bad review is a biggoted troll with nothing else to do!

Yup... That seems plausible... It certainly isn't giant studios making a bad product and then using media shills to gaslight and insult their own audience in a pathetic attempt to deflect blame. That would never happen... No company would be that stupid, right? Right?
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2023-11-08 at 06:11 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff: