New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default My Hero Academia 4 Means Death In Japanese

Hey it's been awhile since people like, talked about My Hero huh?

SOME HIGHLIGHTS

- The (presumable) end of Himiko Toga's arc, where Uraraka confesses her love to her and vice versa, in the midsts of a very serious stabbing, that ends with the neutralization of the Twice blood she had... and, sadly, almost assuredly her life, as she gives over her blood to Uraraka. Probably some of the best art Horikoshi's done in awhile, and this is including the fact that his art is... just flat out some of the best in Jump at the moment.

- The Todoroki Family hugs Dabi till he's unconscious, all suffering pretty serious burns. It's a nice finish to this family's arc, and I'm so glad that it really seems like this story is ending with "we're going to try and help Dabi, despite everything", in much the same way they are with Enji- while still acknowledging the crimes of both.

- All Might has his "Dark Knight Returns" moment, where he uses a power suit utilizing tech that emulates every single one of his beloved students. May in fact be the clearest indication that Horikoshi knows his comics and really GETS it.

- A massively impactful moment of showing how much "pressure" has been built up. Of all the people watching, of the butterfly effect that is this massive war and every life put forward in helping our heroes get even a single, solitary step forward. It's beautiful.

- BAKUGOOOOO! Showing a genuine, actual, perfect and true and REAL smile, after saving him from All For One- and making it clear that All For One is HIS target. It's incredible, I've loved Bakugo for my entire life and seeing his ultimate fate in this series is to take down the main antagonist of the world, whereas Deku does his best to save the abused child he manipulated, is perfect. Deku said this is the story of him becoming the world's greatest hero and that DOES NOT MEAN number 1. Bakugo will take that slot for ending AFO, for sure, and I love it.

- All For One and One For All backstory, elaborated on in as much detail as can be mustered. I particularly like the fact that no, the Glowing Baby was not actually the first meta-human, just the first one society could not easily ignore. It feels appropriate for the kinda gritty reality that My Hero often employs. This is a comic book world... but like All For One has said before, this is Not A Comic Book. The bad guy can win, and sometimes destitute people fall through the cracks and no one cares that they have a weird skin condition.

Anyway, today's chapter: we get to see some quick but messy (VERY messy) shots of All For One fighting, and killing, every single holder of One For All. The way he just... tears his brother apart like tissue paper is actually stomach churning, especially since the guy was so weak and anemic that it really does look like he was just... popped like a balloon. Made all the more satisfying when we finally see the iconic moment; All Might, his guts hanging out, holding them in with his left hand... punching All For One's head clean off from the upper jaw up in a SPLORTCH of blood.

and then, finally, returning to the action with an absolute fury as he sees that hated "desire to save the world" flashing in Bakugo's eyes, and he unleashes his absolute final thrust of strength. ALL FOR ONE GOAL... wherein he becomes a RPG final boss, or the ****ed up ESPer from Akira, whichever reference better floats your boats.

Bakugo's response? "ah **** that's a lot actually".

God I love this ****ing series.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 4 Means Death In Japanese

First I love the art this chapter, true elegance with the eyes, the hands, the montages, etc.

Spoiler: The Last 3 Chapters
    Show

If it’s not absolutely clear, in the last 3 chapters we see All for One thinks the 2nd user for OfA (Kudo) and Bakugou must be genetically related for all All for One sees is his own reflection in others. They are not related it is just that Kudo and Bakugou have the same glare, and that fiery determination. The villain is seeing things as Destiny and Reincarnation and not Bakugou as his own person, his own person who fundamentally rejects All for One but also will do things to help others.

The first user, Yoichi, the second user Kudo, and the third user Bruce knew each other for a mere two months and Kudo and Yoichi were holding hands while trying to escape hell like Orpheus and Eurydice. All for One killed his brother Yoichi causing blood to splatter on Kudo and this was the transmission mechanism, and based on previous lore Yoichi must have willed Kudo to inherit the gift of OfA. With the sudden gravity of Yoichi only being a hand Kudo turns around and sees his friend (? Gay / Bi? ) now being gone and he looks eye to eye with the killer All for One. There is no reflection in AfO’s eyes when Kudo looks at him merely death, yet when AfO sees himself in Kudo’s eyes it is Narcissus with his lake where AfO sees only himself in other peoples eyes.

And while Bakugou has no blood relation to the second user Kudo he has now learned to flight like Gear Shift via using micro explosions and being more aware of his internal body and the individual sweat.

Likewise Tomura Shigaraki, AfO’s adopted son has his own reason for his hand metaphors, yet it parallels AfO’s past so he-AfO will now see everything as connected even though Tomura was lonely and needed a hand for a completely different reason. He needed a stranger to love and save him and he had no one. Just his own hands who cursed and he felt less lonely when the hands of others hold his body or touched his face.

Edit: link to MHA 3 from last year that was 50 pages.
    #3 Villainous Interlude https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...nous-Interlude
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2023-12-03 at 08:33 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

TBH for a series that feels like it's in its big climactic final battle, I struggle to give much of a damn about what's going on in MHA. Giving me very "end of Demon Slayer" vibes where none of the conflict we're being shown actually matters. There's a lot of "throw **** at AfO and watch it bounce off because it's not the protagonist doing it" just like there was at the end of that.

It was a mistake to refocus the series main trio away from Deku/Iida/Ochako to Deku/Bakugo/Todoroki.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    TBH for a series that feels like it's in its big climactic final battle, I struggle to give much of a damn about what's going on in MHA. Giving me very "end of Demon Slayer" vibes where none of the conflict we're being shown actually matters. There's a lot of "throw **** at AfO and watch it bounce off because it's not the protagonist doing it" just like there was at the end of that.

It was a mistake to refocus the series main trio away from Deku/Iida/Ochako to Deku/Bakugo/Todoroki.
    See, you say that, but All For One when thinking about all the people who've actually impacted him negatively, DOES think about all the students who attacked him before he and All Might had their Dark Knight showdown. They're not bouncing off him because they're not the protagonist, they're causing serious damage that he DOES have to care about.

Obviously to each their own, if you don't think that matters that's your business, but the Demon Slayer seems inexplicable to me. All the conflicts have mattered.

I'd also argue that even if a refocusing like that happened (which I don't think it REALLY did, Bakugo's always been a major character), Iida and Uraraka still got some pretty major character stuff that shows they aren't forgotten.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

While the current ending fight is.... clunky. I do kinda like it so far. A lot feels like it matters, and I'm enjoying that the big villian is NOT getting a super sob story near the end. Which is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #6

New chapter!

In this one... Horikoshi does his best "Jojo Part 5 Unending Beat Down of Ciocolatta" impression, by having Bakugo perform three entire pages of just, curbstomping the main antagonist until he finally ****ing dies, screaming "SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!" which is a thing I know some people have been screaming ever since All For One's part of this arc started.

And we get a nice little reminder that Bakugo absolutely could not have done this, if not for everyone else laying on all their attacks earlier. Bit by bit is how we destroy a tower, and this towering behemoth of meat and flesh is finally ****ing toppled.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

AFO yelling that people are extras/side characters and getting wrecked by them will never stop being carthatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

new chapter over christmas, and once story arc is finished
    and we are moving further on, PLUS ULTRA !

9. - Top - End - #9

Bakugo canonically killing a baby (positive) is one of the funniest ways that Bakugo could end this year, and his importance in the manga (since this is almost certainly the last major thing he is going to do) and damn if didn't see it coming.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Bakugo canonically killing a baby (positive) is one of the funniest ways that Bakugo could end this year, and his importance in the manga (since this is almost certainly the last major thing he is going to do) and damn if didn't see it coming.
    Spoiler: that damn quirk
    Show

Spearlike Bones, which is the oldest quirk in the series (so far), AfO mom had it before giving birth. It was the first quirk stolen by AfO, it was used in the ultimate attack hundrends of chapter ago with AfO vs All Might. And it was used in the rematch to stop All Mights Iron Man armor when All Might used a "Dynamight" explosive device.

Spoiler: speculation for the future
    Show

so danger sense was just stolen by shigaraki. Like the vestige itself was transferred as well to Tomoe.

Speculation is that Tomoe is going to steal the other vestiges, the end result is Yoichi and the AfO vestige are going to struggle, Tomoe is going to decay them. Yet his grandma Nana is going to hug her grandson Tomoe

When you have to save someone, they're usually in a scary situation. A true hero saves not only their lives, but also their hearts... That's what I believe. So no matter how scary things get, give 'em a smile, as if to say, "I'm a-ok". The people in this world who can smile are always the strongest.
    Nana Shimura to Toshinori Yagi in "One For All"
    also Deku doing some talk no justu while being powerless with Tomoe, at that boys mercy.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2023-12-27 at 09:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, given that Midoriya can't pass One for All onto anyone else, the idea that he loses the quirk by the end of the series wouldn't be the most outlandish way to finish things off.

I can envision Midoriya just becoming a quirkless teacher at the school of superhereoes, passing on his nerdy encyclopaedic knowledge to his students in a light-hearted epilogue, confident in Bakugo's abilities as the new number one hero to keep the world safe in his stead.

Maybe even throw in some "post credits teaser" about how the quirk singularity has given birth to even more powerful quirks, so criminals are becoming more dangerous but the heroes are becoming more powerful too, because of course there's going to be a sequel series at some point.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: that damn quirk
    Show

Spearlike Bones, which is the oldest quirk in the series (so far), AfO mom had it before giving birth. It was the first quirk stolen by AfO, it was used in the ultimate attack hundrends of chapter ago with AfO vs All Might. And it was used in the rematch to stop All Mights Iron Man armor when All Might used a "Dynamight" explosive device.

Spoiler: speculation for the future
    Show

so danger sense was just stolen by shigaraki. Like the vestige itself was transferred as well to Tomoe.

Speculation is that Tomoe is going to steal the other vestiges, the end result is Yoichi and the AfO vestige are going to struggle, Tomoe is going to decay them. Yet his grandma Nana is going to hug her grandson Tomoe

also Deku doing some talk no justu while being powerless with Tomoe, at that boys mercy.
    Not sure why you described Spearlike Bones but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Honestly, given that Midoriya can't pass One for All onto anyone else, the idea that he loses the quirk by the end of the series wouldn't be the most outlandish way to finish things off.

I can envision Midoriya just becoming a quirkless teacher at the school of superhereoes, passing on his nerdy encyclopaedic knowledge to his students in a light-hearted epilogue, confident in Bakugo's abilities as the new number one hero to keep the world safe in his stead.

Maybe even throw in some "post credits teaser" about how the quirk singularity has given birth to even more powerful quirks, so criminals are becoming more dangerous but the heroes are becoming more powerful too, because of course there's going to be a sequel series at some point.
    Yeah that's 100% where I see this series going. Depowered Deku as the world's greatest technical instructor (and the world's greatest hero, which is a separate title from Number 1 Hero, which is clearly Bakugo).

Instead of a sequel can we just have Barrage of the Battlestar get a redo? Horikoshi has proven his mettle (and worked himself to the ****ing bone to the point where even know he doesn't feel like he can manage it half the time) so please let him do Barrage again. Or like let him have a five thousand year long nap while people do side stories in his universe since My Hero Vigilantes is ****ing phenomenally good. Cause legitimately that's what I want more than sequels- detailed side stories set in the world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah that's 100% where I see this series going. Depowered Deku as the world's greatest technical instructor (and the world's greatest hero, which is a separate title from Number 1 Hero, which is clearly Bakugo).

Instead of a sequel can we just have Barrage of the Battlestar get a redo? Horikoshi has proven his mettle (and worked himself to the ****ing bone to the point where even know he doesn't feel like he can manage it half the time) so please let him do Barrage again. Or like let him have a five thousand year long nap while people do side stories in his universe since My Hero Vigilantes is ****ing phenomenally good. Cause legitimately that's what I want more than sequels- detailed side stories set in the world.
    No, you'll get your crummy sequel that learns all the wrong lessons from the popularity of the original AND YOU'LL LIKE IT.

Seriously, though, I think that's what WSJ wants. Naruto got a sequel, Bleach kinda got one and will likely get a full continuation at some point, they're probably desperately trying to get a Demon Slayer sequel (hence the weird chibi school AU), they'll certainly never let One Piece end...

They're far less enthusiastic about new manga series these days and frequently cancel them before they have a chance to fit their feet, so a sequel series to MHA with the brand recognition inherent to it is probably inevitable. It'd be a safer bet, for sure.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    No, you'll get your crummy sequel that learns all the wrong lessons from the popularity of the original AND YOU'LL LIKE IT.

Seriously, though, I think that's what WSJ wants. Naruto got a sequel, Bleach kinda got one and will likely get a full continuation at some point, they're probably desperately trying to get a Demon Slayer sequel (hence the weird chibi school AU), they'll certainly never let One Piece end...

They're far less enthusiastic about new manga series these days and frequently cancel them before they have a chance to fit their feet, so a sequel series to MHA with the brand recognition inherent to it is probably inevitable. It'd be a safer bet, for sure.
    Nooo I don't want My Boruto Academia, noooo! If they really wanna keep the money flowing they gotta do side stories/prequels instead, or at least yet Horikoshi rest a bit before getting any sort of sequel series so it isn't as rushed and ****ty as Burn The Witch and Boruto.

To be... fair(?) to Shonen Jump, the Demon Slayer modern day weirdness is a call coming from inside the house- Demon Slayer just had chapters like that, and ended with the reveal that it was the future and not an AU, so, it is at the very least not UNREASONABLE that it exists. It's just dumb.

My personal hope is that when My Hero and One Piece ends (and it IS going to end, sooner rather than later now), the void will basically force Shonen Jump to trust some of the lesser series (Mamayuya... Mamayuya, and Mamayuya) to get the time they deserve to become the gold they need. Not every series is going to get Aliens Area'd unless they're like... Aliens Area, and thus kind of terrible.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure why you described Spearlike Bones but okay.
    the significance of it just hit me this chapter when we see AfO in his current form use it as an attack.

It did not feel meaningful in 2016 with all might vs all for one (Toshinori doing his feint, for his last embers did not have his back into it, till it did.)

but it sentimental significance finally resonated with me reading the last two months of comics. We are seeing what AfO treasures with his true self and not his front he puts on trying to deny he too is a human with needs who feels lonely.

( of course a vilian can still be a monster and be a baddy even if they are a lonely greedy human, do not want *laughs* )

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

new chapters, two in the last month

making a prediction which I do not think will happen but placing a marker

Spoiler: I am a protector of what
    Show

Kurogiri / Oboro’s quirk is going to be relevant to the whole smoke / miasma and destruction battle between Deku and Tomura.

I am saying the warp guy is a floating dues ex machima, who ex post facto makes total sense to resolve contradictions that look up resolvable but to make it neat and orderly like most hero stories do.

So that is my marker I am putting down even though I am only 30% confident.

17. - Top - End - #17

new chapters, two in the last month

making a prediction which I do not think will happen but placing a marker

Spoiler: I am a protector of what
    Show

Kurogiri / Oboro’s quirk is going to be relevant to the whole smoke / miasma and destruction battle between Deku and Tomura.

I am saying the warp guy is a floating dues ex machima, who ex post facto makes total sense to resolve contradictions that look up resolvable but to make it neat and orderly like most hero stories do.

So that is my marker I am putting down even though I am only 30% confident.
    While that could be the case, I think it's very more likely that Deku will give all of One for All to Shigaraki, and the combined weight of the former wielders will break down his psyche enough for Deku to get in to the boy beneath the pain.

There won't be any deus ex machina like in the comics, that allows for everything to be wrapped up nice and neatly and cleaning, because as All For One was so fond of saying before he got unborn to death, this world is not a comic book. This is not a world where the right and proper thing is easy, or solved by author fiat. If Deku really wants to sacrifice everything to save the abused kid beneath all this pain and suffering, he's gonna have to earn every little inch of it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

God I love this ****ing series.
    Same, I have some issues with the way Himiko and Dabi got handled but even with those quibbles the series is top tier. Sadly the haters have been out in force for the series for the last 6-8 months or so for some reason.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Same, I have some issues with the way Himiko and Dabi got handled but even with those quibbles the series is top tier. Sadly the haters have been out in force for the series for the last 6-8 months or so for some reason.
    People never recovered from "Deku can use the other quirks of the previous holders of One For All" and "Endeavor's entire plotline is treated with respectable nuance".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

While that could be the case, I think it's very more likely that Deku will give all of One for All to Shigaraki, and the combined weight of the former wielders will break down his psyche enough for Deku to get in to the boy beneath the pain.
    oh I know that is going to happen, no need for a marker for that

There won't be any deus ex machina like in the comics, that allows for everything to be wrapped up nice and neatly and cleaning, because as All For One was so fond of saying before he got unborn to death, this world is not a comic book. This is not a world where the right and proper thing is easy, or solved by author fiat. If Deku really wants to sacrifice everything to save the abused kid beneath all this pain and suffering, he's gonna have to earn every little inch of it.
    I just expect there to be a Tomura action he does before his reformation, that is going to bite everyone in the ass … one that Tomura now regrets.

And then you get a You Say Run montage, for the eagles are coming🦅, for something you did not account for but was placed in a hard to see way will save Tomura from his own self destruction.

And it has to be something that is not Deku, for Deku is the obvious savior, and he kind of has to be depowered to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    it is taking too long. If 2023 never happened, let’s say it went on imaginary break for 2023. And we got double issues throughout all of 2024, weekly. I feel people would be more positive. But you are encountering the Shonen / A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones curse where it is easier to set up a thing, and when you try to with themes resolve the thing … it takes too long or the opposite problem // it collapses under its own weight.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Latest chapter and Deku possible faith
    Show
    I think we are forgetting one character... Eri.

I'm betting that in the end, she will bring back Deku from the bring of destruction... As for how her quirk will affect the One for All quirk, I think it still needs to be revealed. Im not sure how many past One for all inheritors will be needed to pierce that mental crack in Shiguraki mind. I think the best case scenario would be to keep Banjo and All Might quirk for Deku.

Why those two? Because it could be the only way for Deku to recover from abusing his quirk again, like he did in the end of the latest chapter. Deku was supposed to mean " a puppet without strings" so it would be fitting he keep the shadow whip quirks if you ask me. Does it mean he get to be an hero? Probably not. Just like how he pushed his body too much when he defeated Muscular, maybe it would be the same this time. Eri can turn someone body back in time.. maybe not the quirks though.

TLDR: So maybe you are right, maybe Eri will save Deku life and he will become quirkless again... or maybe not. It will depends on how many inheritor of One for All will be able to sacrifice themselves for that crack to open in Shiguraki mind.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

it’s been a while

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...-hero-academia

new chapter and we are going in a different direction than I expected, GEARSHIFT

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowing Deku would inject the holders of One For All into Shigaraki; that's cool.

Getting the mixing of memories and getting a genuine highlight reel of the entire series? That's unexpected, and ****ing fantastic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Plus Ultra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25

Plus Ultra indeed!

Spoiler
    Show
    That being said, I'm a mixed bag about this reveal. It's something people have theorized for awhile, and while as a theory it made sense and was absolutely reasonable and expected of ol' scar face to do... I do feel like it cheapens things a bit. The idea that sometimes in this universe you just lose the super power lottery in a terrible way- which we still do get with Toga of course, but Tomura having this as well kinda felt right, especially since Deku was a fun mirror of that as someone who didn't lose... but also didn't win.

Of course now I'm thinking, since they got this quirk from one of The Doctor's facilities... it's gonna turn out that Deku did have a quirk, and it was the Decay-and-Rebuild quirk that they broke to create Decay, and the reason why no one has noticed Deku's quirk is because he now has an "invisible" quirk, in "the ability to reverse Decay". I bring this up as an idea purely and only because, as cool as it would be for third string classmates and Eraserhead to be the final killing shot of this final lashing out of a dead man, Deku has to be the one who solves this problem, and brother don't got no arms no more.

I'd love to be wrong, especially since Shoot Style exists. He doesn't NEED arms, so he can kick the final **** out of this ghost of All For One and then connect to Tomura to get him back without using his arms. He doesn't need to get them back.

... but on the other hand, god this entire chapter was sick. The last vestiges of an ancient monster revealing that in the end he had such a dope-fish of a face is incredible. The page turn of Deku's arms being bloody, broken stumps is incredible. The page turn to Eraserhead leaving a portal that's part black part white, showing that in some way he HAS gotten through. The fact that, at the end of the day, EVERY classmate gets a moment to shine. It's good! It's genuinely quite good! It also doesn't erase Bakugou's triumph over the actual All For One because this is just a single shard that refuses to fade away, not the real guy. It's... it's fine. It's good. It's another situation where I kinda need to see how it ends before my thoughts can fully settle one way or the other!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Will respond later with more thoughts, keeping it light for it is lunch time

Spoiler
    Show

something I really did not like was everything is attributable to man’s conscious will with the plot
    why did it fall in the manga trap where boys always had to plan things

instead of the opposite where fate and fortune can occur, the gods sometimes surprise mortal men and something new comes up, or something old you lost track of reappears as their own story

or it was an accident. something that was not pre-wished but happened anyway

=====

this stuff really gets under my skin for it is political and theological, if there are no accidents or no random fates then the system is always justifable in some fashion , it can quickly become pro con lists dollars and cents all is calculation

one needs no heroes to sacrifice for a greater good not their own it was just bad calculations

grumbles (sorry if this was a ramble but I am speaking amorphous vibes here)

27. - Top - End - #27

Will respond later with more thoughts, keeping it light for it is lunch time

Spoiler
    Show

something I really did not like was everything is attributable to man’s conscious will with the plot
    why did it fall in the manga trap where boys always had to plan things

instead of the opposite where fate and fortune can occur, the gods sometimes surprise mortal men and something new comes up, or something old you lost track of reappears as their own story

or it was an accident. something that was not pre-wished but happened anyway

=====

this stuff really gets under my skin for it is political and theological, if there are no accidents or no random fates then the system is always justifable in some fashion , it can quickly become pro con lists dollars and cents all is calculation

one needs no heroes to sacrifice for a greater good not their own it was just bad calculations

grumbles (sorry if this was a ramble but I am speaking amorphous vibes here)
    Spoiler
    Show

Naw I absolutely get what you mean. It feels much more meaningful if the only thing All For One did was reach out to a poor abused boy. It cheapens some of what happened, that the quirk was enforced upon him. I think his other stuff, being a friend of the family to subtly encourage this behavior, is actually pretty reasonable though- he still HAD those resentments, All For One simply stoked them. That part still rings true to me. That, and the fact that it's STILL true that no one approached this poor boy to help, leaving him able to be picked up by All For One. That part IS still true too, and still feeds into the problems of the world in a real way, not a manipulated sense.

And we do still have other characters who have suffered from fate. Spinner, Toga, Twice. So it's not a complete refutations of everything... but it does still make it weaker.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

and on the plot retcons / recontextualizing

Spoiler: I think if I would be more cool with it, rewrites the manga
    Show

if we had All for One being involved for decades, all according to plan, etc

I think I would be cool with it , if Tenko Shimura had his original quirk of destroy and recreation, but it was stolen and modified before it manifested so it could only destroy.

Thus metaphors about the symbol of peace, the young kid Tenko playing with blocks, creating worlds like other kids do with dolls and so on. But all that societal expectation and especially Tenko’s parents drama with their own baggage and trauma. If no space is given to nurture and add to the existing super-structure , to allow it to be flexible and adapt.

Of course a kid will lash out and enjoy knocking things over. Be abusive to a young boy and of course the kid will become a monster and lose the ability to see else worlds.

But that is me trying to rewrite the manga.

=====

One does not need to make All for One an ultra planner , his hoarding and stealing was enough. This is just too much. It is too neat and thus it is pure ideology.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

🎶 Hero too, I am a hero too
    My heart is set and I won't back down
    🎶

new chapter, happy week

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Newest chapter
    Show

I understand they want to protect Deku and that Eri onl way to manage to do it now is to do that... but it's such a big sacrifice for a quirk that had the chance of do so much good in the world.

Personally, I wish Shiguraki mind wasn't broken at the reveal and instead, infurated him further. Holding on to that anger for create backslash for All for One. As a twist of faith, let him be the one who save the world from All for One. Sure, he wouldnt do it for the heroes, only as payback... But it could have being the start of a redemption arc this way. AND allow for Eri to keep her quirk. I hope though if they made a follow up anime of My Hero Academia, they do a time jump and Eri child herited her quirk. Maybe not an hero yet but aspiring to be one, like Koga in this timeline.