New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Mutants & Masterminds 3.2 [playtest]

Quote Originally Posted by angelpalm View Post
    Is it too late to make a character?
    No. There's two completed apps and three more are needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    The application deadline was extended until the 17th, so that should be fine (although the GM obviously has the final say). If you do, note that the amount of PP was increased to 150.
    All correct thanks.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    I've made a bunch of edits:

Spoiler: Magic Girl Jenova
    Show

Concept: An Abomination pretending to be a Nerd, pretending to be a Magic Girl.
    Civilian Name: Jackson Cottonfield
    Legal Status: American Citizen with no Criminal Record
    Hero Name: Shining Azure Sparkling Star Magic Girl Jenova (or more commonly just Jenova)
    Gender: Jackson is physically male. Magic Girl Jenova is physically female.
    Height: 1.8m / 5'9"
    Weight: 64 kg / 141 lb

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show

Backstory:
    It's a story as old as man's greed. A cabal of neophyte mages stumble upon a tome of ancient magic. It described a ritual which would call an eldritch Abomination from the far realms, and petition it for a wish, in exchange for a fortune's worth of arcane reagents... and a sacrificed soul.

The cabal decided they would rather like a wish, and run off to acquire the requisite human sacrifice. After some consideration, they grabbed a helpless schmuck which nobody would notice was missing: Jackson Cottonfield, ultra-nerdish comics and games shop clerk, and the biggest social outcast within a million miles.

-"Mai Waifu is Best Girl."

Thus, the poor fool was kidnapped, marinated in expensive arcane reagents for a week, and then stabbed atop an eldritch altar. In his dying moments, Jackson saw a portal open, and an Eldritch Abomination from the far realms crawled through.

However there was a complication: If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. The cabal had failed to read the fine print, and the reason why such a powerful ritual was rarely used, even by the most evil of mages, was because it granted the wish of the Sacrifice. And the nature of the ritual prevented any form of mind control from subverting the process.

Thus, Jackson found his spirit speaking with the Abomination. "State your wish human, and if it pleases me, I shall grant it. But after that, I will immediately consume your soul. Of course, you may not make any wish that would deny me possession of your soul."

Jackson, having spent the past week marinating in arcane reagents, had a lot of time to ponder about what wish he would make, if given the chance. "I wish to fuse our souls together, yours and mine as one."

The Abomination considered the request. "If we are fused, then I technically retain ownership of your soul. Thus, this wish is permissible. And it would anchor me to this plane of existence, allowing me to remain here indefinitely. Very well. But be warned, while your soul will survive the process, your mind might not."

"Er... wait, how about if I wish for..."

"It is too late human. The wish is made, and I have accepted. Prepare yourself for eternity."

Of course, the cabal had no idea what was supposed to happen, let alone what was currently going on. They assumed that the Abomination burrowing into Jackson's corpse, meant that the sacrifice was acceptable to the monster, or something.

Thus, when the Abomination-fused Jackson shattered its bindings and stood up from the altar, they believed everything was going according to plan, and started to petition the creature for the wish they sought.

What they got instead was a swift thrashing, and a mind wipe ritual.

In the days that followed, Jackson seemingly resumed normal life. But once night approaches, and darkness covers the city. The Abomination assumes the form of Jackson's idealized heroine, becoming Magic Girl Jenova!

Complications
    Motivation-Fame: Now that he has the powers he's always dreamed about, Jackson has decided the best way to use them is to amass fame, riches, and glory.

Motivation-Acceptance: Jenova on the other hand, seeks to gain allies in her new home, to help watch her back. And the best way to do so was to fight crime as a bombshell Magic Girl with an overly long name. (This might not seem terribly logical, but keep in mind Jenova's entire knowledge of Earth comes from ultra-nerd Jackson.)

Secret Identity: Magic Girl Jenova is secretly Jackson Cottonfield.

Responsibility-Job: Jackson is (still) a store clerk at the Comics & Games shop.

Relationship-Family: Jackson lives in the basement of the Cottonfield family home.

Appearance
    Jackson is a typical scrawny nerd, of average height, with short black hair and brown eyes. His most prominent feature is a comically large pair of glasses (which is only there for show, now that his eyesight is perfect).

Jenova appears as a tall, slim woman, of the same height as Jackson (which is taller-than-average for women). Unlike Jackson, she has flowing silver hair and burning gold eyes. Although she technically does not need a mask, she wears one anyway. As Jackson's idealized heroine, Jenova is an astounding beauty.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

Summary
    Initiative +0
    Unarmed: Close +8, Damage +8
    Eldritch Bolt: Range +10, Damage +6
    Psychic Lash: Area, Will +8
    Toughness 8
    Dodge 8
    Parry 8
    Fortitude 8
    Will 8

Abilities (32 PP)
    Code:
    Strength   0 (+8)
    Stamina    8
    Agility    0
    Dexterity  0
    Fighting   0
    Intellect  2
    Awareness  6
    Presence   0
    Total      16
    Abomination Biology (42 PP)
    (All powers below have the [Biology] descriptor)

Soul-Fused (1 PP)
    *Feature: As a fusion of 2 Souls, Jenova counts as both a human of earth and an Abomination from beyond, depending on which is more advantageous to her. For example, as a native human, she cannot be banished from the Earth dimension, and cannot be contained in a magic circle for outsiders. As an Abomination, she will not be affected by powers which specifically target humans only.

Abomination Flight (3 PP)
    *Descriptor: Glowing Aurora
    *1 rank @ 2 PP per rank (30 ft/move, 4 MPH)
    *Flat Extra: Aquatic

Malleable Flesh (8 PP)

Base: Jackson Cottonfield (6 PP + 2 AE)
    *This is Jenova's civilian disguise
    *Morph: 1 rank @ 6 PP per rank (Continuous Duration) One Form: Jackson Cottonfield

AE: Inertial Booster (6 PP)
    *Enhanced Flight: 3 ranks @ 2 PP per rank (total 4 ranks, 250ft/move, 30MPH)

AE: Amorphous Physiology (6 PP)
    *Insubstantial: 1 rank @ 5 PP per rank (Fluid)
    + *Flat Extras: Selective

Immunity (5 PP)
    *2 Suffocation
    *1 Poison
    *1 Disease
    *1 Aging

Blindsight-Biological Radar (3 PP)
    *Accurate (2) Radio (1, Ranged Radius Acute)

Abomination Powers (22 PP)
    Base: Eldritch Might (21 PP + 1 AE)
    *Enhanced Strength: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    *Flat Extras: Accurate-Unarmed (x4)
    *Feature: Improvised Weapon (x1, as per the advantage)

AE: Biological Mana (21 PP)
    *Feature (x21): Abominations naturally generate mana. Can be used to power anything that requires mana, including Spell Like Abilities in the Magic Powers section.

Magic Powers (9 PP)
    (All powers below have the [Magic] descriptor)

Detect Magic (4 PP)
    *Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Detect Magic

Spell Like Abilities (5 PP)
    These powers are additional AEs off the Abomination Powers array.

Eldritch Bolt (21 PP)
    *Blast: 6 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    *Flat Extra: Accurate (x5), Affects Insubstantial (x2), Incurable, Precise (Partial Cover)

These next 4 powers may be swapped for something else depending on who else gets in. E.g. if a dedicated Healer gets in, I will swap Healing for something else:

Shared Invisibility/Teleport (21 PP)
    12 PP*Concealment: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    * *All Vision (4), Normal Hearing (1)
    * *Extras: Affects Others
    * *Flaws: Passive
    * *Flat Extra: Progression (x1) Affect 2 others by touch
    * *Feature: Targets can still see and hear one another, but not creatures using concealment from other sources (to prevent this from happening)
    2 PP*Conceal Flight: Flat Extras Applied to Flight - Subtle (x2)
    7 PP*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 5 PP per rank (Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
    * *Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Extended Only, Easy
    * *Flat Extra: Subtle (x2)

AE: Healing (21 PP)
    *Healing: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    *Flat Extra: Persistent, Stabilize, Restorative (x3)

AE: Time Stop (21 PP)
    *Boost Flight: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    *Quickness: 7 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
    *Utility Strength (Limit-Does not apply to damage): 3 ranks @ 1 PP per rank
    *Feature-Quick Pick Up: Pick up and put down unattended objects and willing/unconscious creatures as free actions

AE: Psychic Lash (21 PP)
    *Close Range Affliction: 8 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    *Will Save vs 1. Impaired, 2. Compelled, 3. Controlled
    *Extras: Area 30 ft Shapeable
    *Flat Extras: Reversible, Subtle x2, Insidious
    *Feature-Showy Display: May optionally include a display of a spectral tentacle reaching out to the targets.

Advantages (9 PP)
    *Attractive (x2)
    *Skill Mastery: Expertise-Magic
    *Ritualist
    *Power Attack
    *Die Hard
    *Prone Fighting
    *Takedown Attack (x1)
    *Jack of All Trades

Skills (10 PP / 20 SP)
    *Expertise Magic 16 (+2 Intellect = 18)
    *Investigate 4 (+2 Intellect = 6)
    *Perception 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)
    *Insight 0 (+6 Awareness = 6)

Defences (18 PP)
    *8 Dodge (+0 Agility = 8)
    *8 Parry (+0 Fighting = 8)
    *0 Fortitude (+8 Stamina = 8)
    *2 Will (+6 Awareness = 8)

Total: 32 Abilities + 42 Abomination Biology + 9 Magic Powers + 9 Advantages + 10 Skills + 18 Defences = 120

Can you drop the Healing and Time Stop powers? How does "Shared Invisibility/Teleport" work?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoastTaxi View Post
    Can you drop the Healing
    Sure. As mentioned, it was going to be dropped anyway if Panacea BioShock got in.

and Time Stop powers?
    I could. What are your concerns? Jenova has no offence while in Time Stop. It's purely utility so that she can search places quickly and pull off high speed evacuations.

How does "Shared Invisibility/Teleport" work?
    Shared Invisibility/Teleport (21 PP)
    12 PP*Concealment: 5 ranks @ 2 PP per rank
    * *All Vision (4), Normal Hearing (1)
    * *Extras: Affects Others
    * *Flaws: Passive
    * *Flat Extra: Progression (x1) Affect 2 others by touch
    * *Feature: Targets can still see and hear one another, but not creatures using concealment from other sources (to prevent this from happening)

2 PP*Conceal Flight: Flat Extras Applied to Flight - Subtle (x2)

7 PP*Teleport: 1 ranks @ 5 PP per rank (Extended Distance Rank 9 - 2 miles)
    * *Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Extended Only, Easy
    * *Flat Extra: Subtle (x2)

It's a container, not linked powers. They are activated separately, requiring separate actions. I.e. Jenova can use invisibility without teleport, or teleport without invisibility, or both as separate actions.

In practical terms, Jenova will use Invisibility to sneak around. She will then combine it with subtle teleport, to enter/exit places without attracting attention. This is mostly a scouting power. With Shared, she can take one willing creature along with her. Since Invisibility is passive, it will stop working once the fight starts.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Magic Girl J is in then! If the group can get two more members we can get going.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ooh... I was very interested in applying but then discovered that JeminiZero already had nailed the character concept I was going for!

(Well not necessarily power or background wise but 'nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero' was definitely part of it!)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Magic Girl J is in then! If the group can get two more members we can get going.
    Cool! Do you still want me to swap out Time Stop for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Ooh... I was very interested in applying but then discovered that JeminiZero already had nailed the character concept I was going for!

(Well not necessarily power or background wise but 'nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero' was definitely part of it!)
    Don't let me stop you. Feel free to submit something you want to play.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

It is kinda funny that we might get accidental overlap on what seems like two fairly specific concepts, namely "transformed by an eldritch abomination during a ritual" and "nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero". Great (or at least sufficiently geeky ) minds do think alike.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Cool! Do you still want me to swap out Time Stop for something else?
    Only if you want. If it's just movement it's fine.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2024-02-13 at 09:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

BlackDragon

Don't let me stop you. Feel free to submit something you want to play.
    Thanks! I'll try and avoid too much similarity!

It is kinda funny that we might get accidental overlap on what seems like two fairly specific concepts, namely "transformed by an eldritch abomination during a ritual" and "nerdy guy who becomes a female superhero". Great (or at least sufficiently geeky ) minds do think alike.
    Heh, indeed!

It's been a while since I've played M&M (and even that wasn't very much) so I'm trying to re-familiarise myself with the rules. I'm trying to decide between a classic speedster type, and elastic stretchy type (tempting but I'm not sure I have the rules know how to make that complex a character work) or a martial artist/weapon warrior crime fighter type.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Only if you want. If it's just movement it's fine.
    I definitely read that power combination like Zach Morris' timeouts from Saved By the Bell, where he has a few seconds to rearrange objects and give a quick aside to the 4th wall before things start back up

11. - Top - End - #71

BlackDragon

Still working on crunch if any one has any suggestions on building a speedster.

Meteor Maid

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    In the 1940s Alicia Dupree was a young newspaper reporter who was investigating a series of strange museum robberies when she stumbled across a German plot to steal a statue supposedly belonging to Atalanta. Seemingly the German agents were convinced the ancient Greek artefacts had actual mystical properties! Alicia scoffed at the idea but was still determined to stop Hitler's goons. Unfortunately the Axis agents caught her and stuffed her in the crate with the statue bound for Berlin.

Fortunately Alicia was wrong. The statue was magical. Very magical. It spoke hypnotically in Alicia's mind, telling her that Atalanta's spirit lived on in her. The reporter felt infused with tremendous power and when the Germans opened up the crate they got the surprise of their life - a very angry young American woman who could move faster than sound!

Taking up the mantle of 'Meteor Maid' Alicia worked as a superheroine throughout the Second World War. She mostly operated on the home front foiling Axis spies and schemes while maintaining her identity as inquisitive "girl reporter" Alicia Dupree but being able to run at 2,000 miles an hour she was able to operate abroad often, foiling Nazi and Japanese backed plots in Central and South America to and in 1943 she worked as a foreign correspondent in London allowing Meteor Maid to work in Europe. She mostly worked alone but occasionally had adventures with other heroes including on one star-struck occasion with Captain America.

Unfortunately a mission in Germany in early 1945 went disastrously wrong and she was killed in mysterious circumstances. Though popular in her day Meteor Maid was gradually overshadowed and then totally forgotten as new heroes and villains rose to prominence.

Many decades later an American university student named James Conroy found himself incidentally entangled in the schemes of the minor supervillainess Arcana. Arcana, on the run from superheroes used her sorcery to turn a dorm party full of humans into illusionary duplicates of herself as a distraction, James included. The spell quickly wore off everyone else but James turned back, not into himself, but into a different woman - a blonde in a 1940s style super costume who had no recollection of this 'James' but answered to the name 'Alicia'. Confused she ran off - and when she ran she ran.

The following morning a very confused James woke up as himself in a motel hundreds of miles away with only the bluriest recollection of the previous night.

It would only become clear in time what had happened. James and Alicia were the same person with the former as the reincarnation of the latter. Something in Arcana's magic had triggered the transformation. Gradually over the next few weeks and days James would begin to get Alicia's old memories and Alicia's James's and they'd learn how to control the transformation from nerdy 21st century guy to 1940s superheroine and back again.

Meteor Maid was back!

12. - Top - End - #72

Planetar

Your two main ways to show a speedster attacking are the Area Extra and the Multiattack extra, though if you're going for an array you might as well take both, maybe even a couple of different Area Shapes to simulate a cyclone for a cylinder and a cone for a ping pong type attack for instance.

Remember that Speed only affects movement and Quickness only affects non-combat routine checks. You'll still need a lot of skills to take advantage of Quickness since it doesn't give a bonus, just speeds it up.

You can also create other powers and flavor them as being the effect of superspeed, such as Illusion( Limited to illusions of yourself only) to simulate moving so fast you appear to be in multiple places at once.

Flight(Limited to adjacent to surfaces) is one possibility to simulate running up buildings or across water since Speed doesn't do either by default

Being a WWII super-spy, she might benefit from a rank or two of the new Advantage, Gadget

Spoiler: Gadget
    Show
    GADGET: <Character> can produce a gadget, a temporary device with one Power Effect of Rank 8 or less, either
    throwing it together from available parts or declaring he
    already “happened” to have it with him. Each additional
    gadget he produces after the first requires him to spend
    a Hero Point first.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-02-13 at 06:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Your two main ways to show a speedster attacking are the Area Extra and the Multiattack extra, though if you're going for an array you might as well take both, maybe even a couple of different Area Shapes to simulate a cyclone for a cylinder and a cone for a ping pong type attack for instance.

Remember that Speed only affects movement and Quickness only affects non-combat routine checks. You'll still need a lot of skills to take advantage of Quickness since it doesn't give a bonus, just speeds it up.

You can also create other powers and flavor them as being the effect of superspeed, such as Illusion( Limited to illusions of yourself only) to simulate moving so fast you appear to be in multiple places at once.

Flight(Limited to adjacent to surfaces) is one possibility to simulate running up buildings or across water since Speed doesn't do either by default

Being a WWII super-spy, she might benefit from a rank or two of the new Advantage, Gadget

Spoiler: Gadget
    Show
    GADGET: <Character> can produce a gadget, a temporary device with one Power Effect of Rank 8 or less, either
    throwing it together from available parts or declaring he
    already “happened” to have it with him. Each additional
    gadget he produces after the first requires him to spend
    a Hero Point first.
    Thanks!

I've been thinking I might switch things around to having the WW II era original as male and the reincarnated modern character as a normal young woman who after a weird experience found her former self's powers and memories remerging. Much as I love that Golden Era aesthetic it is probably less complicated that way!

I'll experiment with a couple of builds and take a look at other options.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Update my character post to include the full 150 point starting total.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Take a look at the pre-built archetype:

https://www.d20herosrd.com/character...pes/speedster/

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    The pre-built stats these as:

Run On Water: Movement 1 (Water Walking), Limited to While Moving [1 point]

Run Up Walls: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2), Limited to While Moving [2 points]
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Planetar

Oh that's better and cheaper

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

Thanks!

Actually looking at it the pre-built speedster fits nicely into PL 8, I just have to slightly lower the defences.

How does this look?

Mistral

Abilities
    Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers

Fast Attack: Damage 3 [Multiattack 5, Selective 5] Alt: Damage Area: Damage 3 [Burst Area 5, Selective 5] (14 points)
    Enhanced Defences: Enhanced Dodge 7, Enhanced Parry 7 (14 points)
    Super-Speed: Speed 15, Enhanced Advantages (Improved Initiative) 3, Quickness 10, Concealment 4 [Limited to While Moving] (32 points)
    Run On Water: Movement (Run On Water): Movement 2 [Water Walking, Limited to While Moving] (1 points)
    Run Up Walls: Movement (Wall-crawling): Movement 2 [Wall-crawling, Limited to While Moving] (2 points)

Equipment

Advantages
    Beginner's Luck, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Takedown 1, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
    Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Pop Culture 6 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+2), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Thrown 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+10)

Offense
    Initiative +16
    Throw +9, Damage 2, Multiattack 5, Selective 5 Fast Attack +10, Damage 5

Defense
    Dodge 11, Parry 11
    Toughness 5 (Def Roll 3), Fortitude 8, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 36 + Powers 63 + Advantages 10 + Skills 28 + Defenses 13 = Total 150

Complications

Reputation: Mistral has a reputation as a bit of an airhead, thanks to her speech patterns ("dude", "like", "whatever" as so on feature regular in her speech patterns), none to serious persona (she'll frequently comment approvingly or disapprovingly on a villain's fashion sense) and technological illiteracy ("Look out he's about to fire the, um, gizmo-thingie!")

Secret Identity: Mistral is really Jesse O'Connor, a university student. As Jesse she (or rather he) has no powers.

Power Loss: Mistral can be tricked into losing her magical powers by saying "Presto chango" which reverts her back into being Jesse. Miles can turn into Mistral by saying the same phrase but must wait an hour before being able to shift.

Relationship: Casey Wu is a classmate of Jesse's and his long time best friend along with being the only person who knows who Mistral really is. Much smarter than her bff she is essentially Jesse/Mistral's tech and research gal. They've been friends forever but their relationship is getting a little more awkward these days since Casey, a lesbian has a crush on Mistral but is strictly platonic with Jesse.

Background

'Mistral' is the name of three separate superheroines over the years, all blessed with superspeed from the same magical source, the Ancient Greek goddess of breezes Aura. The first was a 1940s reporter named Alicia Dupree who foiled a plot by Axis agents to steal a magical statue of the goddess and was rewarded with fantastic speed. She had an illustrious career during the Second World War but vanished on a mission inside Germany in 1945.

In the 1960s the second Mistral appeared when the statue of Aura somehow ended up in the basement of a library in Atlanta and was found by a young librarian named Emily Hill. Emily was empowered by the goddess and during the Silver Age fought injustice and intolerance and was a strong advocate for feminism and civil rights. She retired from the superhero scene in the late 1970s, dillusioned by Watergate and the Vietnam War and her powers gradually faded.

The third and current Mistral is the first male to take up the identity... or at least he was originally male. This time the statue of Aura (in it's mysterious way) had ended up in the quad of the university where Jesse O'Connor was a student (admittedly more interested in parting than studying.) One night he witnessed another student and his buddies getting way too friendly with a female friend and charged to the rescue - and nearly got killed. Fortunately the statue was nearby and intervened and Jesse, lying bruised and bloody on the grass found himself saying the words "presto chango".

Suddenly he became a she and one who could move very, very fast. The girl was rescued and the thugs sent to jail and a new superheroine was born.

Jesse now spends his normal life as a student and his secret life as the "kickass babe with superpowers" Mistral.
    Last edited by RossN; 2024-02-14 at 10:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rook.Gamer View Post
    Update my character post to include the full 150 point starting total.
    Thanks for the update.

Meteor Maid

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    In the 1940s Alicia Dupree was a young newspaper reporter who was investigating a series of strange museum robberies when she stumbled across a German plot to steal a statue supposedly belonging to Atalanta. Seemingly the German agents were convinced the ancient Greek artefacts had actual mystical properties! Alicia scoffed at the idea but was still determined to stop Hitler's goons. Unfortunately the Axis agents caught her and stuffed her in the crate with the statue bound for Berlin.

Fortunately Alicia was wrong. The statue was magical. Very magical. It spoke hypnotically in Alicia's mind, telling her that Atalanta's spirit lived on in her. The reporter felt infused with tremendous power and when the Germans opened up the crate they got the surprise of their life - a very angry young American woman who could move faster than sound!

Taking up the mantle of 'Meteor Maid' Alicia worked as a superheroine throughout the Second World War. She mostly operated on the home front foiling Axis spies and schemes while maintaining her identity as inquisitive "girl reporter" Alicia Dupree but being able to run at 2,000 miles an hour she was able to operate abroad often, foiling Nazi and Japanese backed plots in Central and South America to and in 1943 she worked as a foreign correspondent in London allowing Meteor Maid to work in Europe. She mostly worked alone but occasionally had adventures with other heroes including on one star-struck occasion with Captain America.

Unfortunately a mission in Germany in early 1945 went disastrously wrong and she was killed in mysterious circumstances. Though popular in her day Meteor Maid was gradually overshadowed and then totally forgotten as new heroes and villains rose to prominence.

Many decades later an American university student named James Conroy found himself incidentally entangled in the schemes of the minor supervillainess Arcana. Arcana, on the run from superheroes used her sorcery to turn a dorm party full of humans into illusionary duplicates of herself as a distraction, James included. The spell quickly wore off everyone else but James turned back, not into himself, but into a different woman - a blonde in a 1940s style super costume who had no recollection of this 'James' but answered to the name 'Alicia'. Confused she ran off - and when she ran she ran.

The following morning a very confused James woke up as himself in a motel hundreds of miles away with only the bluriest recollection of the previous night.

It would only become clear in time what had happened. James and Alicia were the same person with the former as the reincarnation of the latter. Something in Arcana's magic had triggered the transformation. Gradually over the next few weeks and days James would begin to get Alicia's old memories and Alicia's James's and they'd learn how to control the transformation from nerdy 21st century guy to 1940s superheroine and back again.

Meteor Maid was back!
    Welcome! I'll look over the sheet today but at a glance Mistral looks perfect.
    Last edited by SwordCoastTaxi; 2024-02-14 at 11:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Filled in background.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Power Loss: Mistral can be tricked into losing her magical powers by saying "Presto chango" which reverts her back into being Miles. Miles can turn into Mistral by saying the same phrase but must wait an hour before being able to shift.
    I'm guessing Jesse used to be called Miles, and you didn't do a full find-and-replace.

Relationship: Casey Wu is a classmate of Jesse's and his long time best friend along with being the only person who knows who Mistral really is. Much smarter than her bff she is essentially Jesse/Mistral's tech and research gal. They've been friends forever but their relationship is getting a little more awkward these days since Casey, a lesbian has a crush on Mistral but is strictly platonic with Jesse.
    How exactly does this work? Is Mistral a distinct personality from Jesse (like Banner/Hulk)?

Offense
    Initiative +16
    Throw +9, Damage 2, Multiattack 5, Selective 5 Fast Attack +10, Damage 5
    Maybe break this into multiple lines to make it clearer:

Throw: +9 (Ranged, Damage 2)
    Fast Attack: +10 (Close, Multiattack Damage 5)
    Fast Attack Alt: Close, 30ft Burst Area, Selective Damage 5
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

BlackDragon

Not a fan of the weirdly hostile analysis there JeminiZero. I can see parts of it need an edit but you could have been nicer.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Apologies if you felt that was hostile.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

We have four which is enough but I'll leave this open a little longer in case someone else wants to jump in. For everyone already accepted (list on the OP) here's the OOC thread link so players can can settle in there.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I probably don't have enough time to create a character, but how similar is M&M to HERO 6E? I see people talking about arrays and advantages and limitations, which makes me think it's probably similar enough that I'd have a head-start learning the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

After leaving poor Nathan like 95 percent finished for days, I finally got down to it and Cthul-Lad (now with both boosted immortality and old school regeneration as well as a new power for horrifying flavour) should be finished, even if the history and personality is still a bit bare bones.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-02-15 at 02:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I probably don't have enough time to create a character, but how similar is M&M to HERO 6E? I see people talking about arrays and advantages and limitations, which makes me think it's probably similar enough that I'd have a head-start learning the system.
    Their both point-buy systems but there's many differences. Here's a link with tips for converting from HERO.

After leaving poor Nathan like 95 percent finished for days, I finally got down to it and Cthul-Lad (now with both boosted immortality and old school regeneration as well as a new power for horrifying flavour) should be finished, even if the history and personality is still a bit bare bones.
    I'll check him the sheet. Since the group is now five this thread is closed (OOC link for players with complete characters is above).