New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Path of War - Maneuver Users that can trade Maneuvers Known Daily

Aside from going Aegis -> Initiators Soul, or purely being an Initiator through Swappable Feats, is there any way to have Path of War Maneuvers Known that you can trade out for others without levelling up, be that during daily preparations or some other reasonably quick (non-retraining) means?
    Not Readied Maneuvers, but Known Maneuvers - think "Wizard".

I've tried to look, but Aegis with Initiators Soul was the only class that I could find that could do so.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Path of War - Maneuver Users that can trade Maneuvers Known Daily

You disciplines and maneuvers known being fairly static after selection is a pretty important limiter for initiating classes, so I doubt there is anything that lets you freely swap them out daily. Initiator's Soul is limited by being on the archetype progression, but it's still extremely strong (assuming your GM lets you change the 2 disciplines every time you select that customization; I could see some not allowing that or placing restrictions on it in light of the similarity to Paragon Surge + Eldritch Heritage cheese) since it breaks that limitation.

The only other methods I'm familiar with would be Psychic Reformation or building a collection of Maneuver Marbles and swapping which ones you have attuned, though that only works for the disciplines you already have. It's still very useful for having a collection of situational maneuvers you can slot in within a day.

3. - Top - End - #3

Since I still haven't found another way, the way I'd build a "Maneuver Wizard" is via a Host of Heroes Aegis.

Obviously, take Initiators Soul, Additional Maneuvers, and Additional Stance as Customizations.

Pick a legendary role to your liking, but sink at least 9 points of customizations into Champion (which requires you to be level 9). Use that flexible Combat Feat to take Advanced Study to pick up either two maneuvers, or one stance, that are not restricted by the archetype maneuver progression.

At 9th level, this would give this character at most 4th-level maneuver from customizations, but 5th-level maneuvers from the feat.
    All of those are swappable by changing customisations, with a choice of two Disciplines plus Sleeping Goddess.

As mentioned, a GM might disallow this because this is the only class (apparently) that can pull this off, and it is thus atypical for Path of War.
    But given that this class is also bound by the lower progression of the Archetype Maneuver Progression, I'd say it's fair.
    A GM could also disallow the Advanced Study trick, or restrict it only to Sleeping Goddess (with the argument that the other disciplines are not fixed).

The divergence between the max-level from archetype maneuver progression and normal maneuver progression gets higher at high levels - it's one level behind until 15th level, where it's then 2 levels behind, and then 3 levels behind at 17th level.
    This build bypasses this somewhat, but only for 2 maneuvers or 1 stance (though it could take Advanced Study as a normal feat, perhaps for Sleeping Goddess).

As extra-sauce for higher-level builds, this build could dip 6 levels into Contender Brawler.
    Contender also provides Archetype Maneuver Progression and 6 levels would only get 2nd-level maneuvers. If you take the Student of the Astral Suit feat, it'd only slow down your Aegis Maneuver Progression by 2 levels.
    The main reason to do this is getting access to Martial Flexibility, specificially the ability to get two feats. The main use I see for that is for grabbing Discipline Style feats - those require skill investment, but Aegis is a Int-based class, so you should be able to get a good amount. Being able to switch between a fair amount of styles fits this sort of character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The only thing I'm aware of with that degree of flexibility is Formcrafter Monk. It doesn't change your Known Maneuvers at any frequency, but it has constant access to all Disciplines and a Ki Power (Combat Improvization) that for one Ki Point gives you a single use of any one maneuver you could learn, as a free action.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

At least two of the Akashic Classes have archetypes that let you swap out features for both POW archetype progression and spherecasting.

Take both archetypes, use the spherecasting to get Complete Reversion. Change out your Maneuvers whenever you like. (This is very late level though, as you must be at least SCL in time sphere 15 for this talent).

Probably not what you were asking for, but I think it technically counts

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

map of the mind is 16k to give any class psychic reformation once a week (only one person can use it every 7 days)

the penalties are small for 24 hours if you go back a single level, the penalties are severe if you want to go back several levels. Regardless after 24 hours the penalties fade away.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    At least two of the Akashic Classes have archetypes that let you swap out features for both POW archetype progression and spherecasting.

Take both archetypes, use the spherecasting to get Complete Reversion. Change out your Maneuvers whenever you like. (This is very late level though, as you must be at least SCL in time sphere 15 for this talent).

Probably not what you were asking for, but I think it technically counts
    AFAICT those are:
    Daevic with Aeshmic and Xeshim. Issue being that they're only a low-caster, so they won't hit the required CL 15 for Complete Revision.
    Guru with Dancer of Seven Veils and Sphere Guru, which is a mid-caster and can thus hit CL 15, if only at very high level.
    Helmsman with Sphere Helmsman and either Mechfighter or Themistoclien, also a mid-caster.
    Rajah with Lordly Champion or Sphere Rajah, also a mid-caster.
    Spellweaver with Maneuverweaver and Sphereweaver, also a mid-caster.

Of course, Complete Reversion would only be accessible at fairly high level, making these classes compare unfavorably to Aegis which can do such flexibility at low level. But it's a nice alternative for high level.

Psychic Reformation is accessible at earlier levels, though the penalties limit it's usage during daily adventuring until higher level.
    A list of psychic classes/archetypes that can get maneuvers:
    Dread with Nightmare, though you'd need a means to get psychic reformation on your power list.
    Marksman with Mind's Eye Disciple, though you'd need to add to your power list.
    Psychic Warrior with Pathwalker, though you'd need to add to your power list.
    Soulknife with High Psionics and War Soul, though you'd need to add to your power list.
    Voyager with Quantum, though you'd need to add to your power list.
    (Highlord with Thane doesn't work, since it replaces powers known, which is a shame since it'd be on the Highlords power list).
    So basically you'd need a way to add to your powers known to use without the item, though of course there being an item opens it up to any character, which is neat.
    Last edited by Serafina; 2024-02-07 at 02:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    AFAICT those are:
    Daevic with Aeshmic and Xeshim. Issue being that they're only a low-caster, so they won't hit the required CL 15 for Complete Revision..
    If you’re already using this many 3PP sources, I would think that taking Trinity Warrior from Co7S would also be an option, in which case the Daevic can count as SCL 15 for Time sphere at level 15.

Psychic Reformation is a bit tricky, as RAW it doesn’t let you change maneuvers. But it is reasonable that it should, as an extension of transparency.

Notably, Guru can get manifesting via the psychometabolist philosophy, and can access the Dahlia’s Psionic Halo veil, so a level 12 Dot7V could have PsyRef as a power known (you would need to take the essence cap boating feat).

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh yeah, Trinity Knight and Trinity Angel work very well with Spherecasting, since spherecaster levels from multiple sources stack fully, and aren't held back by spells or powers known.
    With a little help of Psychic Synergy from Aegis levels, you can easily be a fullcaster with it (+2 CL per 4 levels up to your HD).

I've actually played an Aegis (Ascendant), Stalker (Bushi/Vigilante), Armiger (Antiquarian), with splashes of Hedgewitch (Entropic Sage) and Fighter (Runesinger, Myrmidon), taking both Trinity Angel and Trinity Knight, while using the Veilweaving Sphere.
    The result was nearly full access to Path of War (from Stalker into Trinity Knight), full Spherecasting (Antiquarian Armiger boosted by Aegis Customisations), a lot of Spheres of Might Stuff (Armiger and Trinity Knight) and very good Akasha-Access (from the Veilweaving Sphere and from Armiger).

Unsurprisingly it ended up being very high powered (though it was a Mythic game so that was fine). But that thoroughly colours my verdict on Trinity Angel and Trinity Knight - I like them, but if they're built well they're significantly higher powered than a lot of comparable 3pp material.

Combining Aegis and Armiger was quite fun though, that character could very easily change combat-style and what magic they had access to, though only on a daily basis.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Oh yeah, Trinity Knight and Trinity Angel work very well with Spherecasting, since spherecaster levels from multiple sources stack fully, and aren't held back by spells or powers known.
    With a little help of Psychic Synergy from Aegis levels, you can easily be a fullcaster with it (+2 CL per 4 levels up to your HD).
    I was talking about a single class Aeshmic/Xeshim Daevic who just used the Trinity Warrior feat to have Time Sphere CL be = to BAB.

Access to Temporal Haste at 9, Complete Reversion at 15 is pretty good for a the cost of a feat. I have tried theorycrafting Trinity Knight before but it mostly just makes my head hurt.

(Incidentally, do you know where I can ask questions about spheres rules other than the spheres discord? I don't like the spheres discord.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Aside from going Aegis -> Initiators Soul, or purely being an Initiator through Swappable Feats, is there any way to have Path of War Maneuvers Known that you can trade out for others without levelling up, be that during daily preparations or some other reasonably quick (non-retraining) means?
    Not Readied Maneuvers, but Known Maneuvers - think "Wizard".

I've tried to look, but Aegis with Initiators Soul was the only class that I could find that could do so.
    You can use Daevic Retold with Evolution Passion. It gives you eidolon's evolutions. Take 'planar initiator' line of evolutions. You can chage your evolutions on every level and from lv6 you can change them every day if you take Adaptation aspect.