New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Deadpool & Wolverine - Teaser Trailer

Fresh off the internet:

Not a Deadpool fan myself, but the last few seconds are priceless.

Spoiler: Were We Expecting These Villains?
    Show
    I wasn't expecting the TVA, and while that would normally send me to the cookbook section of my local library, I'm guessing Deadpool will subvert the **** out of it, and hopefully play it up for the idiotic nonsense that it is.

Also, nice to see Morena Baccarin again, if only in a dream/fantasy/alternate reality/TVA variant.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Deadpool & Wolverine - Teaser Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Were We Expecting These Villains?
    Show
    I wasn't expecting the TVA, and while that would normally send me to the cookbook section of my local library, I'm guessing Deadpool will subvert the **** out of it, and hopefully play it up for the idiotic nonsense that it is.

Also, nice to see Morena Baccarin again, if only in a dream/fantasy/alternate reality/TVA variant.
    While all of DP is, of course, subject to change at any moment because Deadpool, the bolded in the spoiler is consistent with the progression in the series, not in the ways you indicate.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

My impressions:

1) I get a feeling that all the characters at the birthday party are not going to be in the rest of the movie. If true, I am not happy about it.

2) That wig makes Wade Wilson/Ryan Reynolds look super creepy.

3) Is it just me or does Deadpool's costume seem a brighter shade of red than before?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I'm surprised about how grumpy this made me.

I don't think I'm a hater. I watched the Marvels last week, and while it wasn't any better than average, I can recognise that it had moments, and there's nothing really hate worthy in there. Maybe the waste of space that is the villain I guess?

This though genuinely riled me up, and made me want to punch the screen.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_One View Post
    I'm surprised about how grumpy this made me.

I don't think I'm a hater. I watched the Marvels last week, and while it wasn't any better than average, I can recognise that it had moments, and there's nothing really hate worthy in there. Maybe the waste of space that is the villain I guess?

This though genuinely riled me up, and made me want to punch the screen.
    Any inkling of why?
    Spoiler: Maybe an accident
    Show
    Other than the stupid TVA is stupid?

- M
    Last edited by Mordar; 2024-02-12 at 08:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Any inkling of why? Other than the stupid TVA is stupid?

- M
    i have not seen 1 or 2, but I am excited for deadpool dragging the tva
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Was it widely known who the villain(s) would be?

If not, would kindly request that this be in spoilers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

I think the villain is a brilliant choice:

Spoiler
    Show
    Loki was perhaps the brightest spot of Phase 4, and it directly ties to the end of Deadpool 2 where Wade went absolutely ham with his vortex manipulator time travel device thingy, showing there were consequences to doing that (even for him) and thus answering the question of why he can't simply do that again next time Vanessa or X-Force might die. In addition, this sort of soft-decoupling the TVA from Kang means Marvel can start to recover from the whole Jonathan Majors scandal, while also keeping the parts of Phase 4 and 5 that worked the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why wouldn't it actually be her? The entire ending of D2 was
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wade undoing everything bad that happened to him. (Including Green Lantern )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think the villain is a brilliant choice:

Spoiler
    Show
    Loki was perhaps the brightest spot of Phase 4, and it directly ties to the end of Deadpool 2 where Wade went absolutely ham with his vortex manipulator time travel device thingy, showing there were consequences to doing that (even for him) and thus answering the question of why he can't simply do that again next time Vanessa or X-Force might die. In addition, this sort of soft-decoupling the TVA from Kang means Marvel can start to recover from the whole Jonathan Majors scandal, while also keeping the parts of Phase 4 and 5 that worked the most.

Why wouldn't it actually be her? The entire ending of D2 was
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wade undoing everything bad that happened to him. (Including Green Lantern )
    Wait, is that really the villain? I hope not hugely. I assumed it was just a...dramatic device.

I've having flashbacks to when I separated from the "Big 2" back in the 90s.

Spoiler: Because...
    Show
    He can't use it because there is a fuel limitation, that's why Cable couldn't use it several times himself.

- M

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Any inkling of why?
    On thinking about it more is it all feels so utterly transparent in what it's doing in a snarmy way that really wound me up. Yes the MCU is in trouble, yes Deadpool is popular, and combining the two is going to get bums on sits. This is something everyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention knows. Pointing that out is telling me the sky is blue and certainly doesn't count as being a joke or in anyway clever or funny.

11. - Top - End - #11

Wait, is that really the villain? I hope not hugely. I assumed it was just a...dramatic device.

I've having flashbacks to when I separated from the "Big 2" back in the 90s.

Spoiler: Because...
    Show
    He can't use it because there is a fuel limitation, that's why Cable couldn't use it several times himself.

- M
    Negasonic/Yukio refuelled it. (Seriously, rewatch the end of Deadpool 2, I feel like you missed a lot.)

I don't know if Paradox will be the Villain Villain, but for the trailer he's good enough, it's an appropriate escalation from Ajax and the fakeout Cable/even-more-fakeout Sinister.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomePirate

Back during the holidays, I rewatched Deadpool 1 and 2 and I realize what I like about them is the interaction between the characters. So for me, it wasn't about the action and gore but about Wade Wilson/Deadpool and Colossus, Vanessa, Blind Al, Dopinder, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Firefist, Domino, etc.

Now that I've seen the trailer a few times, I think the movie is going to be like this: "Here's all those characters you remember! Now lets move on to 2 hours of time travel/multiverse/D+ Advertising/MCU BS and you won't see those characters again until the final scene.... maybe".

Kinda like how Vanessa was only in Deadpool 2 for like 3 minutes combined screen time.

I also noticed that Firefist and Domino aren't at the birthday party. Domino is understandable but the relationship between Firefist and Deadpool is the whole plot for Deadpool 2.
    Last edited by Trafalgar; 2024-02-13 at 08:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    1) I get a feeling that all the characters at the birthday party are not going to be in the rest of the movie. If true, I am not happy about it.
    I definitely felt like that too. All those news before about who's going to be showing up, it'd be disappointing if it turns out to be just full-on cameo appearances.

Otherwise, I'm quite hyped and I can't wait to see DP (and more X-men IPs) be a part of the MCU.

Oh, and I just realized that the DCEU would now be canon as a fictional IP within the MCU because of DP! Huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Oh, and I just realized that the DCEU would now be canon as a fictional IP within the MCU because of DP! Huh.
    Well, Eternals name-dropped Superman, so I think that's been a thing for a while (even beyond Wade's usual 4th-wall breaking cross-continuity consciousness.)

I also noticed that Firefist and Domino aren't at the birthday party. Domino is understandable but the relationship between Firefist and Deadpool is the whole plot for Deadpool 2.
    I think it's implied that Cable
    Spoiler
    Show
    went off to raise him; he couldn't return home at the time (because he used the last charge to save Wade), and by the time N&Y repaired his vortex manipulator they may have been long gone.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Negasonic/Yukio refuelled it. (Seriously, rewatch the end of Deadpool 2, I feel like you missed a lot.)
    I saw - I had the takeaway (unsupported by the film itself, I suppose, but kind of supported by cartoon logic) that they were able to "add some charges" and not that it was necessarily going to be permanently available for use. One real change (Vanessa) and then the jokes...and then it is no longer to be spoken of, because it is a major story complicator.

Back during the holidays, I rewatched Deadpool 1 and 2 and I realize what I like about them is the interaction between the characters. So for me, it wasn't about the action and gore but about Wade Wilson/Deadpool and Colossus, Vanessa, Blind Al, Dopinder, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Firefist, Domino, etc.

Now that I've seen the trailer a few times, I think the movie is going to be like this: "Here's all those characters you remember! Now lets move on to 2 hours of time travel/multiverse/D+ Advertising/MCU BS and you won't see those characters again until the final scene.... maybe".

Kinda like how Vanessa was only in Deadpool 2 for like 3 minutes combined screen time.

Zazie Beetz, the best part of DP2, didn't get invited back to the film. Stupidly. Because again she could have been the foil with and between DP and Wolverine and classed up the show a little bit. And brought FAR more value than Vanessa. Period.

But yeah, the fight scenes are primarily there as extended jokes, and the heart of the movies is really that they are family films with bad language. Wade speaks truth in the voiceovers of DP2 (see Peelee, I paid attention!). Now can RR and HJ recreate their IRL Twitter land dynamic as Wade and Logan? That's the big question.

Best version of this movie is, I think, is a 10-minute set-up of what I guess is the primary adversary, the two of them cleaning house in like 10 minutes, and then 70+ minutes of serial fan-service shenanigans. Because I think I already made my opinion of the adversary clear.

- M

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomePirate

I think it's implied that Cable
    Spoiler
    Show
    went off to raise him; he couldn't return home at the time (because he used the last charge to save Wade), and by the time N&Y repaired his vortex manipulator they may have been long gone.
    Spoiler: Cable and Firefist?????
    Show
    I remember that Cable was staying in the present because he used the last charge to save Wade. It's not clear he knew NTW and Yukio recharged the device. I don't remember he was going to take care of Firefist though. I mean he did JUST try to kill Firefist. He would go back to the future as soon as he got a charged time travel device back to see his family.

The big question I have is if DP2 is now in the MCU, that means that Thanos and Cable are played by the same actor.
    Last edited by Trafalgar; 2024-02-13 at 12:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The big question I have is if DP2 is now in the MCU, that means that Thanos and Cable are played by the same actor.
    ...and hopefully soon Johnny Storm and Steve Rodgers are too!

- M

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomePirate

...and hopefully soon Johnny Storm and Steve Rodgers are too!

- M
    DP does call Cable "Thanos" in DP2.... Maybe Cable/Thanos are the same person and will be the main villain in Deadpool and Wolverine!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

[SPOILER=Cable and Firefist?????]
    This is why the Time Variance Authority hates Cable in the comics

1) Time Traveler check
    2) The combination of telepathy and the techno virus allows him to send info to his other selves if the TVA eliminates that “variant” , thus Cable can quickly make more paradoxes faster than the TVA can do anything. He is a mess maker if you poke him, best ignore him.
    3) Cables boyfriend, best friend, eternal rival for they were originally hired to kill the other is Deadpool the merc with the mouth who can see beyond the 4th wall and he breaks time and space.

TVA shall let Cable pass
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

20. - Top - End - #20

I saw - I had the takeaway (unsupported by the film itself, I suppose, but kind of supported by cartoon logic) that they were able to "add some charges" and not that it was necessarily going to be permanently available for use. One real change (Vanessa) and then the jokes...and then it is no longer to be spoken of, because it is a major story complicator.
    I'm not saying it would have been "permanent" either, just that I'm glad that they are actually exploring consequences to its use. Because I agree with you, having it be around in any capacity would have defanged any new story going forward.

Zazie Beetz, the best part of DP2, didn't get invited back to the film. Stupidly. Because again she could have been the foil with and between DP and Wolverine and classed up the show a little bit. And brought FAR more value than Vanessa. Period.
    Damn I was really hoping she'd be back.

Show
    I remember that Cable was staying in the present because he used the last charge to save Wade. It's not clear he knew NTW and Yukio recharged the device. I don't remember he was going to take care of Firefist though. I mean he did JUST try to kill Firefist. He would go back to the future as soon as he got a charged time travel device back to see his family.
    That's exactly my point - he didn't know, because he was already gone by the time they did.

(This is speculation of course, we won't know unless they take a few seconds to explain it at the start, but it seems plausible to me.)

I mean, they've done that before too. Gemma Chan was in Captain Marvel and Eternals, Ken Choi was in Spiderman Homecoming and Captain America First Avenger, Michelle Yeoh was in Guardians 2 and Shang-Chi...
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Not sure why we're spoilering stuff from DP2, but ok:

Spoiler
    Show
    I always got the impression that they rechaged the device and Cable went back to his own time, but Wade borrowed it for a bit, so he could save Vanessa and then "clean up the timeline".

But yeah. I suppose it could be that Cable was stuck permanently in the present, and Wade still has the time device, which would very much explain why the TVA might want to scoop him up and put him to work for them. Alternatively they could also use the fact that he saved Vanessa by using time travel and that she is a varient over his head to force him to work for them (in which case whether he still has it or not doesn't matter). Either path works IMO.

Whatever direciton they choose, I'm definitely looking foward to this film. Done right it could very much right the ship so to speak, in terms of all the multiverse stuff they've done so far (but which hasn't really had any impact or direction on anything). Could also just be another step in a larger process, but as long as it heads us in an actual direction, I'll be happy. So far, everything they've done since the end of phase 3 has seemed kinda directionless. Which could absolutely be intentional given the nature of the broader arc (multiple alternate realities and timelines), but at some point things have to start coalescing a bit into something coherent.

Ah. Who am I kidding! As long as it's got the patented Ryan Renolds humor and quips, it'll be great.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Whatever direciton they choose, I'm definitely looking foward to this film. Done right it could very much right the ship so to speak, in terms of all the multiverse stuff they've done so far (but which hasn't really had any impact or direction on anything). Could also just be another step in a larger process, but as long as it heads us in an actual direction, I'll be happy. So far, everything they've done since the end of phase 3 has seemed kinda directionless. Which could absolutely be intentional given the nature of the broader arc (multiple alternate realities and timelines), but at some point things have to start coalescing a bit into something coherent.

Ah. Who am I kidding! As long as it's got the patented Ryan Renolds humor and quips, it'll be great.
    Like I said, MCU could be fixed inside 20 minutes. With jokes.

- M

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, Eternals name-dropped Superman, so I think that's been a thing for a while (even beyond Wade's usual 4th-wall breaking cross-continuity consciousness.)[/SPOILER]
    I didn't mean just the comics, I meant the Snyderverse itself being referenced by Deadpool in DP2 and even pre-DCEU DC movies like Green Lantern. There has to be a film studio joke coming if/when Deadpool and She-Hulk were to ever meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Like I said, MCU could be fixed inside 20 minutes. With jokes.

- M
    Entire MCU TV series are jokes, and haven't done much to fix it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Entire MCU TV series are jokes, and haven't done much to fix it.
    Because they didn't use guns, swords and 18" claws to end the villains. And they didn't have funny jokes.

Spoiler: To be clear
    Show
    I mean that DP and Wolverine slaughtering anyone associated with the TVA, then saying they will slice-and-dice anyone that again suggests linking any MCU series or movies to any sort of bloated, poorly understood multiverse cross-over garbage, will fix the MCU and set it back on track. Then the next 70+ minutes of the movie can be DP and Wolverine going after Sabertooth, Omega Red, Deathstrike, Silver Samurai, and maybe the real Taskmaster in a gratuitous actionpornextravanaganza. Which doesn't have anything to do with naked things.

- M

26. - Top - End - #26

Linking the movies and TV shows is not inherently bad though; Guardians 3 didn't suffer from being related to the Holiday Special, Multiverse of Madness didn't suffer from being linked to What If and WandaVision, and while it's too early to tell if this movie will suffer from being linked to Loki it seems unlikely. (In fact, Loki having laid the groundwork of who the TVA are and what their deal is seems extremely useful to keep Deadpool's interactions with them snappy.) And while we have no idea what will ultimately get done with Moon Knight, having him show up in a movie trailer will almost certainly be met with acclaim. It helps too that the links that worked best were indirect/optional.

The bigger issue is that they bloated the release schedule, particularly on the TV side. Echo and Secret Invasion added almost nothing to the slate, FATWS and Hawkeye were meh outings at best, and She-Hulk/Ms. Marvel were held back from their full potential by their franchise maintenance obligations. They were so focused on barreling towards Avengers 5+ that they didn't put the polish needed onto Thor 4, Ant-Man 3 and Eternals, which then caused audiences to stay home from the Marvels, a movie I genuinely believed to be fine if not good. If they had trimmed a bunch of that fat, people would have been less fatigued and seen the Marvels for the solid superhero movie it was.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know if Paradox will be the Villain Villain, but for the trailer he's good enough, it's an appropriate escalation from Ajax and the fakeout Cable/even-more-fakeout Sinister.
    I doubt he's the villain. Did you guys not notice

Spoiler: villain identity guesswork
    Show
    the bald cape-wearing woman that we see on a back shot?
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Linking the movies and TV shows is not inherently bad though; Guardians 3 didn't suffer from being related to the Holiday Special, Multiverse of Madness didn't suffer from being linked to What If and WandaVision, and while it's too early to tell if this movie will suffer from being linked to Loki it seems unlikely. (In fact, Loki having laid the groundwork of who the TVA are and what their deal is seems extremely useful to keep Deadpool's interactions with them snappy.) And while we have no idea what will ultimately get done with Moon Knight, having him show up in a movie trailer will almost certainly be met with acclaim. It helps too that the links that worked best were indirect/optional.

The bigger issue is that they bloated the release schedule, particularly on the TV side. Echo and Secret Invasion added almost nothing to the slate, FATWS and Hawkeye were meh outings at best, and She-Hulk/Ms. Marvel were held back from their full potential by their franchise maintenance obligations. They were so focused on barreling towards Avengers 5+ that they didn't put the polish needed onto Thor 4, Ant-Man 3 and Eternals, which then caused audiences to stay home from the Marvels, a movie I genuinely believed to be fine if not good. If they had trimmed a bunch of that fat, people would have been less fatigued and seen the Marvels for the solid superhero movie it was.
    I have zero issue with maintaining MCU via both shows and films. I don't even mind, say, 4 series and 4 films a year. I don't believe in "super hero fatigue" any more than I believe in "buddy cop fatigue", "rom-com fatigue", "spy/thriller fatigue" or any other genre fatigue. I believe the accurate term for what we've seen on the MCU side is "mandatory viewing for shared universe understanding fatigue".

The series and films don't have to build towards OMGAWESOMEXOVER every 3 years. And even if they do, they can do it in a proper foreshadowing fashion instead of a modified storytelling ratio where at least 5x% of each individual film or series must contribute directly to the genesis of the culminating XOVER film. Focus on good episodic stories with some threads/eggs that can lead to a cool crossover. Minimize powercreep. Develop characters, villains, etc., and then present them in the XOVER in a way that doesn't require anyone to have watched every previous appearance of that character to "get" them. You know...like the comics did successfully for many many years. I didn't need to know all of Vision's backstory to enjoy Marvel Team-Up #42...just that he could fly, turn intangible and blast rays from his head. You know...the stuff they actually showed in that issue.

tl,dr: Make all of the series and films stand alone, and be optional viewing. Make occasional big crossover events that are understandable stories *on their own*. And don't do stupid multiverse stories ever again. That crap sucked in the books too.

- M

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I doubt he's the villain. Did you guys not notice

Spoiler: villain identity guesswork
    Show
    the bald cape-wearing woman that we see on a back shot?
    Spoiler: Isn't that really...
    Show
    Professor Xavier? Looks like a cape, I grant, but I think it is something with a popped collar and blending into the cushioned back of a (wheel)chair.
    Last edited by Mordar; 2024-02-15 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Avoiding double post

29. - Top - End - #29

I have zero issue with maintaining MCU via both shows and films. I don't even mind, say, 4 series and 4 films a year. I don't believe in "super hero fatigue" any more than I believe in "buddy cop fatigue", "rom-com fatigue", "spy/thriller fatigue" or any other genre fatigue. I believe the accurate term for what we've seen on the MCU side is "mandatory viewing for shared universe understanding fatigue".
    Yeah that's fair. If there is a "fatigue" happening it's related to the delivery mechanism moreso than the genre/subject.

The series and films don't have to build towards OMGAWESOMEXOVER every 3 years. And even if they do, they can do it in a proper foreshadowing fashion instead of a modified storytelling ratio where at least 5x% of each individual film or series must contribute directly to the genesis of the culminating XOVER film. Focus on good episodic stories with some threads/eggs that can lead to a cool crossover. Minimize powercreep. Develop characters, villains, etc., and then present them in the XOVER in a way that doesn't require anyone to have watched every previous appearance of that character to "get" them. You know...like the comics did successfully for many many years. I didn't need to know all of Vision's backstory to enjoy Marvel Team-Up #42...just that he could fly, turn intangible and blast rays from his head. You know...the stuff they actually showed in that issue.

tl,dr: Make all of the series and films stand alone, and be optional viewing. Make occasional big crossover events that are understandable stories *on their own*. And don't do stupid multiverse stories ever again. That crap sucked in the books too.

- M
    I'm not against the multiverse either honestly. It makes recasting, or multiple actors in the same role (e.g. what were seeing play out with Reed Richards currently) a lot less complicated for one.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I think there's a reasonable argument that shared universe stuff on an MCU level scale sort of inherently creates that fatigue though. It's a franchise wide problem.