New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default When you DM, how much do you customize loot for the party?

Basically what it says in the title. What kind of loot do you give when you DM? How often do you customize magical items with the party in mind?

Personally I tend to use mostly random loot. I generate 1-3 items then choose the best to be the loot in this instance. "Best" does take into account how useful it could be for the party, but also whether it thematically fits with the location (flaming swords in a volcanic shrine, shadow based items in an Underdark city, etc), and also whether the items would be fun for an enemy to use. Sometimes my list, which have a lot of homebrewed items, has a quality not specific to a kind of weapon, in which case again I will decide based on what would most likely be found in the given location, and also what would be most useful for the party.

If players want a specific weapon, or at least a specific kind of weapon, they need to purposefully look for it, they shouldn't expect to stumble across it by chance. They could also try making it themselves, depending on the party's abilities and available resources/materials.

The two notable exceptions to this. The first is starting gear. Not necessarily an issue at the start-start, since they often don't have magical items, or if they do they are selected through a non-random way, but if a replacement character arrives, or a new player joins, I generate some random items for them, but here I more liberally tweak what they get so the character can use them, to represent the fact that they would likely have kept what what they could use over the course multiple adventurers, assuming a high enough starting level. Recently I gave finesse to a weapon a replacement rogue had had found (previous rogue died). The weapon as generated wasn't finessable, but I enjoyed the concept, and so did the player, so this seemed an good change to make.

The other one is artifact that are relevant to the plot. In my desert game, the players found a very magical longsword, carved from the tooth of a greatwyrm. But no one in the party was strength based, so I added the finesse quality (I'm noticing a theme here :P ), since the artifact was sentient and played a key role in the plot it seemed better this way. It was sentient and powerful, so they would have just kept it even no one could wield it well, but that seemed like a waste. And there was still a sacrifice for the ranger who ended up using it, as he had the archery style, but found the bonuses of the sword more than made up for that.

So how do you do you handle such things in your games?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: When you DM, how much do you customize loot for the party?

I generate 3 items for each player (though now I basically just re-use the same list) and allow them to pick one. Weapon, Armor, or Misc. Each item increases in power, providing added benefits as they level up.

Beyond that, if I'm running a module, I'll just grant whatever is in the module without modification. Either a player (or two) will want it and use it, or it goes into a player resource pool for trading at a later date. If I'm brewing something, I might ask the players if there is something specific they're questing for, but more often will just include a few items I've noticed they're lacking. Lowest AC might get a ring of protection or magical armor if they're proficient.

But really, the slow build artifacts the players start with do the heavy lifting. I like them, since I don't have to put a lot of thought into them, or remember to give magic out at all. The players like them because every level is an option. A Ring might start with +1 AC, but level two might grant either a round of Invisibility (1/SR) or Proficiency with a skill. A Cloak might start with an hour of underwater breathing 1/LR, but level two might grant either a small bag of holding or +1 to Saves.

Each level, the player is choosing between two options, and some require a previous ability to unlock, so they can also pick a previous option if they'd rather.

My campaigns rarely go above 10th level, so any specific artifact will have 10ish abilities - but they're all on the minor side, even at higher levels. But since they're on a single item, it allows for more variety in the other slots.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I only tailor the loot for the PCs if there is a reason in-world for it to happen.

Ex: if the PCs have a reputation for using specific weapons, their next quest giver could promise them exceptional versions of said weapons to make taking the job even more enticing.

Other than that, I take the approach of "it'll be useful one way or the other". A magic item will be valuable to *someone*, and there are enough people willing to trade the item until it reaches that someone to let the PCs benefit from looting it anyway.

Plus you never know how players will surprise you, given enough time with items they at first considered useless to them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I pretty much always tailor the loot to the party. It doesn’t make a lot of sense from an in-universe perspective, but I always hate it when some party members get exactly what they want while others end up with “I guess we can sell it” items. I think it’s more fun for everybody to get something especially for them.
    Last edited by GooeyChewie; 2024-02-15 at 01:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I customize loot for the enemies. I often use the stuff they would have/own/use/hide. Now if the players take and use the stuff, great. But they can always keep it, look for NPCs whom want is, meet more people, ect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

I tailor loot to an extent. Converting a pair of +1 shortswords to a pair of +1 hand crossbows, or a magic greatsword to a halberd, are pretty easy for example. But a Holy Avenger or Vorpal Sword is not something you're going to find in every campaign, even if you really want one, and even if the campaign goes to high levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    What kind of loot do you give when you DM? How often do you customize magical items with the party in mind?
    If it isn't a roll on a table, or it isn't a "quest item" directly tied to a particular adventure (deep in the caverns under Mount Molar lies the dagger Doom Fang, buried in the heart of an ancient mummy lord ..) I'll tend to use either a consumable, or a custom utility item.

When I roll random loot, and the item that comes up strikes me as being non sensical to the environment or the adventure, I'll switch the digits on the percentile die. If I rolled a 34, I'll check and see what 43 is, as a first step. Solves most of my problems.

For my Salt Marsh group, I gave each character a common magic item from Xanathar's list to begin play. I hand picked them based on the PC, the player, the class, the background, and the backstory they had given me. I mixed it all together and did my best to make a good fit.

Not sure if I will do that again, but it worked out OK.

Tattoos: I have taken a liking to the tattoos in Xanathar's. With some frequency, as a quest reward, the players will each get a single use tattoo with a spell. Level 1-3, sometimes roll for it but usually try to select a useful spell that is outside the character's usual capacity. (Barbarian got a fly spell one time, as but one example).

Weapons: what drops, drops. Depending on the locale, there may be an underground magic item trading network. that opens up some interesting RP opportunities to discover/bribe/what have you various NPCs to try and trade what they have for perhaps something else.

Artifacts: I have only introduced one. t is the Rod of Seven Parts as custom made by me.

In previous editions, a few of those cropped up as well, but I did find that "detrimental properties" annoyed most of the players who had them.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    I pretty much always tailor the loot to the party. It doesn’t make a lot of sense from an in-universe perspective, but I always hate it when some party members get exactly what they want while others end up with “I guess we can sell it” items. I think it’s more fun for everybody to get something especially for them.
    Same here. I have a lot of fun designing items that the party might find useful, and it's not very realistic, but the party really likes having stuff that fits their classes, story, and playstyle.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

This is the case with me as well. And the extent to which I do it largely comes down to how much of a market exists for magic items in the campaign.

Officially the rules kinda frown on selling magic items but that's ridiculous anywhere but an extremely low magic setting. Thinking Waterdeep or Sharn doesn't have gigantic well stocked magic item stores is ludicrous. On the other hand, if the campaign is based around the players spending 6 months in Chult or Xendrik away from civilization, they might be able to get some potions from native tribes but otherwise they could be out of luck.

If its a party of druids and rogues and you give them a +1 greatsword in Waterdeep, they *should* be able to turn it into whatever they need. But in Chult, its just a heavy object they have to carry around for the rest of the campaign, which is kind of lame for everyone (unless you have a specific story reason for the party to have a +1 greatsword lying around) so I'd be more willing to fudge things to give the party stuff they can use.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2024-02-15 at 03:57 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Basically zero, though if a random item is super boring I may reroll on the loot tables.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

This, essentially. Both I and our group's usual DM tend to make sure everybody gets something that'll be of interest to them every so often.

I just don't see the appeal of randomizing it with tables and such. It'd just be no fun if you get something nobody in the party wants, like a magical instrument in a party with no Bard, or a magical greatsword in a party where the martials are a Halfling and a dex-based Ranger.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-02-15 at 07:44 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

Not at all.
    I used to but I got sick of players switching characters and complaining about magic items.

Player: You don't give us magic weapons!
    Me: You have four magic weapons that none of you are using.
    Player: Yeah but that was for character X, character Y is optimised for a different weapon.

Now I randomise items and players either build their characters around items already in the party's possession… or they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Don't waste time making rolls on things that aren't interesting. Move on and get to the good stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

About a third of the time i use tables/generators.
    About a third of the time i pick/make items based on the NPCs/environment they are coming from.
    About a third of the time i pick/make items based on the PCs they are going to.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I tailor it and just say that there's a god/goddess of Loot (that gets mixed up with gods/goddesses of lute) that makes sure that people get the loot they want.

They're kinda like Mystra but for cool stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Basically what it says in the title. What kind of loot do you give when you DM? How often do you customize magical items with the party in mind?
    Almost never.
    In order of importance, IMO:

1. Random loot is random. Giving the players exactly what they want leads to exponential power growth. This can be fine when everyone has what they want. But typically magic items come one or two at a time. This can cause odd fight scaling, because individuals find the encounter too easy, whilst everyone else finds the encounter really hard. This often leads to characters that don't have exactly what they want, getting killed. And players that have the exact magic items that match their Feats and Class to breeze right through challenges. This can b0rk a lot of fights, because the DM has to specifically tailor against that character...But if it works against the powerful character, it's going to work even better against everyone else - probably to the table's detriment.
    Also see; Everyone power-games, or no-one should.

2a. D&D isn't that hard. The only reason you want the magic item, is because you want it. Your character is good at some challenges, and will be bad at others. You "need" the magic item to shore up your weakness in certain challenges, thereby making your character "good at everything." That's not necessary. Talk to your party, have better group dynamics and cooperation and understand that your character's flaws and/or weaknesses provide a challenge to you, because the "G" in RPG stands for game.

2b. You want the magic item to be EVEN MOAR BETTER at the thing you're already good at. D&D is not that hard. This is not necessary. The only thing this would do is cause the DM to create harder challenges for you, faster. Most DMs have sliding goal posts. The game doesn't (shouldn't?) get easier because you got the magic item you wanted. Goblins turn into Hobgoblins. Half-Ogres are actual Ogres turn into Hill Giants. Bears are Owlbears. The DM does exactly what they normally do...But just potentially faster because you got more powerful, faster.
    Also see; 1.
    How often do players "skip" encounters only to come back three levels later just to mist-ify Goblins?
    Woah these Veterans sure were hard at Level 3. But now at Level 7 with magical gear they're so easy!

3. Magic items come one or two at a time. And it gets awkward when the DM shows favouritism to some players first, and other players last. Also go back to 1; Some players get their magic items first, and others get theirs (i.e; Their power upgrades) last. Leading to some challenges being b0rked.

4. You find a bajillion gold in a Level 8 hoard. Since I already gave you magic items you want previously, gold as a loot mechanic is now meaningless since there's nothing to buy. Since we use Milestone XP, XP is meaningless. Since you already have the magic items you want... Umm...Wait. Why are we adventuring? We have everything we want, there's nowhere to go from here. Story points as the main "loot"? ...Umm...I'm a good DM. But I'm not so good a DM that I can rely on "Story" as the sole gameplay hook.
    If I could write a story that good; I'd write a novel.
    Alternatively the goal of the character simply is to be more powerful. In that case, you might as well just run some sims and cheer at your screen when the numbers are high.

5. World-building is fudged.
    The solution, honestly, is have the players tell you what they would like. You, as DM, can then create two or three sessions about that storyline. At the end of it, the Hobgoblin Captain has a magic sword for you to loot! You didn't find a magical sword in an aristocrat's random treasure vault. The evil tyrant actually had the magical sword on his person, and used it on you in combat. You earned the loot. How rewarding!

6. If you get what you want, great! ...If you don't...Just sell the magic item and attempt to find the magic item you want. (Also see; 5)
    Of course we run into the age-old problem of "We can't sell magic item we can't use because we might use it one day!" that players are notorious for.
    Ah well, a DM can't make the players' choices for them.
    However, my favourite thing is when the party gets a (good) magic item that they can't use, and on next level up, a player will make explicitly make "sub-optimal" character choices in order to be able to use that magic item.* Which coincidentally was one of my favourite parts about the Icewind Dale video game's random loot system. Ideally, you make Level Up choices based on the loot you find, leading to organic character growth.**

*I loathe the idea of character "builds" that don't take into account character, the party, or story beats. And random loot is a way of discouraging "builds" because there isn't a guarantee you'll find a magical Halberd before Level 7, which means you might even die before then. So having your character only become "online" at Level 8, with a magical Halberd, and magical armour...Is a terrible idea.

**However, the optimal way to play through Icewind Dale is to build around the Fixed Loot and sell everything - even the good stuff - that you aren't spec'd for, and hope you randomly get something you are spec'd for that's even better than the Fixed Loot. That way if you don't randomly get the strongest stuff you spec'd for, you still get the Fixed Loot you were guaranteed.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2024-02-15 at 11:13 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Generally no, the option to buy or craft magic items exists.

If a player is completely lacking magic items I'll throw them a bone by having them find something useful for them. But in general I put magic items into the game that I can justify the NPCs having, and I tend to be stingy with magic weapons and armor. However some players love to change characters often, that makes me reluctant to customize anything for them, be it backstory (if they have one) or give them a magic item.
    In the next session I've put a rapier of certain death that will be useful for an assassin character, and a sentinel shield that will be useful for an artificer character. Those items will be present the next time the players are.

-

Edit- I take the players into account when choosing what magic items can be found, I try for things that will be useful for multiple players. And make sure there's plenty of consumables.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2024-02-16 at 04:14 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I do random loot, except I do allow researching likely places to find or acquire a particular desired item.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Random as much as possible.

I largely agree with Cheesegear's point 2: whatever system you use keep in mind 5e is already set on easy, so there isn't much need for a lot of magic, much less stuff that is tailored to the characters; for example, holy cow do the Instruments of the Bards make some good spells into S tier beasts. Some of the stronger items will overshadow build choices, which isn't much fun IMO.

The one obvious exception for me is by tier 2 the martials pretty much need a magical sharp stick of some description or they're going to be regularly bad at the one thing they're supposed to be good at.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    Random as much as possible.

I largely agree with Cheesegear's point 2: whatever system you use keep in mind 5e is already set on easy, so there isn't much need for a lot of magic, much less stuff that is tailored to the characters; for example, holy cow do the Instruments of the Bards make some good spells into S tier beasts. Some of the stronger items will overshadow build choices, which isn't much fun IMO.

The one obvious exception for me is by tier 2 the martials pretty much need a magical sharp stick of some description or they're going to be regularly bad at the one thing they're supposed to be good at.
    Counterpoint: giving my players tailored magic items allows me to set 5e to hard mode

I do agree on magic items easily being too strong, though. It's very, very rare that I'll give incredibly strong magic items RAW from the DMG, because most of the DMG options are just too powerful and they make the game easy in a boring way. I prefer magic items that give my players more interesting things to do (reposition, heal, summon allies, complicate the battlefield), or help them be good at the stuff they like that isn't optimal.

Example: one of my PCs is a 14th-level druid and she really likes using Moonbeam. It's basically her signature spell, and the damage she gets from it is pretty low, but she loves using it and isn't going to stop. So I gave her a magic item that allows her to cast it without concentration, and if an ally winds up in the area of effect she can burn a spellslot to heal them instead of damaging them. Fun, flavorful, and it makes using her signature stuff more exciting for her, while allowing her to do other high-level things with her Concentration.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    2a. D&D isn't that hard. The only reason you want the magic item, is because you want it. Your character is good at some challenges, and will be bad at others. You "need" the magic item to shore up your weakness in certain challenges, thereby making your character "good at everything." That's not necessary. Talk to your party, have better group dynamics and cooperation and understand that your character's flaws and/or weaknesses provide a challenge to you, because the "G" in RPG stands for game.
    Well said.

The evil tyrant actually had the magical sword on his person, and used it on you in combat. You earned the loot.
    That's a good approach. It does require determining magic items ahead of time.
    However, my favourite thing is when the party gets a (good) magic item that they can't use, and on next level up, a player will make explicitly make "sub-optimal" character choices in order to be able to use that magic item.* Which coincidentally was one of my favourite parts about the Icewind Dale video game's random loot system. Ideally, you make Level Up choices based on the loot you find, leading to organic character growth.**
    Yep.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That's a good approach. It does require determining magic items ahead of time.
    Honestly, I would respect the hell out of a boss fight where the gimmick is "roll on the magic item tables three times, that's what the boss uses for this fight".

Especially if there is an in-game reason for this, like the boss is a magic item trader or collector and had to grab whatever was the nearest to confront the PCs. Could even give them a feature similar to a Thief Rogue that let them use whatever item as if they had the prerequisite.

I would also find it very funny if the boss has to spend the fight throwing boxing punches because resulting items are an Amulet of Clear Thoughts, a Robe of Eyes and a Hat of Disguise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Honestly, I would respect the hell out of a boss fight where the gimmick is "roll on the magic item tables three times, that's what the boss uses for this fight".
    Could be a load of fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't tend to randomize *big* items as they are where they are for a reason.unless them kinds floating around is part of the lore. I have tomes that do this if the owner neglects them.

The odds and ends can be rolls for to fill out troves, hordes, or pockets but the magical sword that waa buried with the king that wielded it will at least begin there unless someone moved it. Why would i randomize away some low hanging worlds building potential?

So I neither randomizer nor cater to the players.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I don't tend to randomize *big* items as they are where they are for a reason.unless them kinds floating around is part of the lore. I have tomes that do this if the owner neglects them.

The odds and ends can be rolls for to fill out troves, hordes, or pockets but the magical sword that waa buried with the king that wielded it will at least begin there unless someone moved it. Why would i randomize away some low hanging worlds building potential?

So I neither randomizer nor cater to the players.
    That's a fine way to look at it. Another way is there being items in use that their location is known. There are other items, even legendary ones; that are ancient and as time has rolled on and battles were won and lost, and civilizations have risen and fallen whose location and understanding of what they are have been obscured by the mists of time.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    That's a fine way to look at it. Another way is there being items in use that their location is known. There are other items, even legendary ones; that are ancient and as time has rolled on and battles were won and lost, and civilizations have risen and fallen whose location and understanding of what they are have been obscured by the mists of time.
    Sure but why would a GM hide it from themselves? I'm a huge fan of random tables for world building but once you get the outline the fun is filling in the juicy bits.

I know some GM don't like world sim and I don't fault them for it but I can't let the dice have my fun.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Sure but why would a GM hide it from themselves? I'm a huge fan of random tables for world building but once you get the outline the fun is filling in the juicy bits.

I know some GM don't like world sim and I don't fault them for it but I can't let the dice have my fun.
    I could give lots of reasons but the truth is that requires more time, effort and discipline than I'm going to give it. 😅

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I usually leave the loot as written (by me or published). If there is an item that is absolutely of no use to anyone, I'll replace it. Most items have some use to at least one of the party. if a player is looking for a specific item, they may find it, depending on the quality of the pizza. Yes, I can be bribed with food.
    Last edited by JLandan; 2024-02-16 at 02:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflayer_Inc View Post
    I tailor it and just say that there's a god/goddess of Loot (that gets mixed up with gods/goddesses of lute) that makes sure that people get the loot they want.

They're kinda like Mystra but for cool stuff.
    Yoink! (sorry couldn't help it)

Especially if there is an in-game reason for this, like the boss is a magic item trader or collector and had to grab whatever was the nearest to confront the PCs. Could even give them a feature similar to a Thief Rogue that let them use whatever item as if they had the prerequisite.

I would also find it very funny if the boss has to spend the fight throwing boxing punches because resulting items are an Amulet of Clear Thoughts, a Robe of Eyes and a Hat of Disguise.

I think I'll steal this for my homebrew game as well. I always felt letdown in CRPGs when the things you fought dropped irrelevant loot (animals dropping clubs or ruby rings, what?!?). But even worse are the times you fight something that has a flaming weapon, and you loot a common shield and some armor.

In a table top setting, it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed in 'grey' loot - 15 kobolds yield 12 sets of subpar leather, 3 ratty robes, 15 crappy crossbows and a few potions of dubious quality... hauling that quantity of loot out of a dungeon, and getting a few gold for it tends to make it not worthwhile (especially when there isn't a computer doing all the calculations for you on the fly). I think I'd do it kind of like Diablo, where you loot quality items, but everything else is automatically converted to cash. So, you kill the 15 kobolds, you get maybe a decent dagger out of it, and 4 gold. The premise in the loot section of the PHB being "mundane items are converted to their gold equivalent after every fight. You could request to find a specific piece of gear instead, but is generally discouraged."

Then it's just a matter of updating mostly humanoid entries in the MM to include their 'loot coinage upon death' calculation. If you do all the work upfront, at game time it should be pretty quick and seamless.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-02-16 at 03:34 PM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

Re: Making the game too easy through tailoring loot.

Keep in mind that tailoring the loot to the party doesn’t mean you just give them whatever they want. It means you give them whatever is appropriate for them to have. Frankly most of the loot I give is more flavorful but mechanically less impactful than what the party might have gotten from a random loot table.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

I really enjoy rolling on the tables the DMG provides for background details and minor quirks of magic items when a module or random loot drop gives the PCs an item. I rarely deliberately target one for a particular PC, but sometimes a PC is behind in some fashion or has no items that fit their build, and I will alter things a bit more.

In Forge of Fury, there is a ghlst that attacks madly. I had a PC who was built around polearm s and the party as a whole were dedicatedly role-playing the search for Durgeddin's weapons, so I gave the ghost a halberd that doubled as a wizard focus as a staff. The PC who got should of it appreciated its quirks, including that it was haunted by said ghost (whom only she could hear after they defeated it and she attuned it).

I think that is the furthest I have gone to bend loot to specifically customize it for the party.