New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Give the Goblins a break

I just read oots start of darkness again and was wanting to petition all good hearted DMs to give the goblinoid races a break and maybe send their players a an adventure to kill some evil humans or dwarves (it is actually possible for those races to be bad sometimes). Anyway I wanted to know what your least favourite phb race is so that i can send my group off to kill one of their villages.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Give the Goblins a break

I didn't realize how Evil Xykon was until I read SoD.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

You leave dwarves alone. They live in strict, militaristic and regimented societies, and they will bring the hammer of Moradin down.
    Last edited by The Professor; 2007-12-14 at 12:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

So did Miko.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, use some dark cults or the like. Conspiracies are funderful!

If I'm going to use a generic monstrous humanoid mini-society, I generally use gnolls. Not sure why.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hayzee View Post
    So did Miko.
    Psh. Unstable as water.

Dark Cults? Conspiracies? I generally use humans and half-elves for that.

I use goblins and kobolds when I'm a jerk. Traps and sneak attack galore to be had. They don't seem to take penalties to mental stats, and so long as there are a few elders in a tribe, they all thrive as well mentally as other, 'civilized' humanoids in my games.

None of the 'Grak kills you!' and charge you with his primitive stone dagger shenanigans.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I tend to use humans more then any other creature as my foes. In any case, most races such as kobolds, goblins, and orcs I rarely portray as purely evil monsters that exist as fodder for an adventurer's sword. I usually portray them as coming from a different cultures that are considered evil or dangerous by human standards, but may be good and honorable by their own standards.

Heck, in the campaign I'm creating right now I decided to assign a real world culture to each race to help me flesh them out and form their role in the world. Humans are primarily greco/roman(more greek then roman, but the line is blurred, especially since humans exist to some extent or another in all the other races cultures). Dwarves are nordic, orcs are celtic, goblinnoids are middle eastern(hobgoblins are persian in paticular), halflings are wanderers and gypsies, and elves are east asian(mainly because I wanted an element of trade with the orient and I wanted the elves to be rare and unusual instead in the setting). So this way when the players encounter another race they have a historical viewpoint to work from.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you looked into the Goblin Defense Fund?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Elves. I mean, those things seem to breed like rabbits. We got soooo many variants and sub-races that a little cleansing needs get underway or we'll be drowning in this froofy pointy-eared things.

I myself love goblins, so I tend to send them against the party at first, that they might fear the goblin ninja.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't use goblins, but I do use hobgoblins. For the most part they've been "they're better warriors than you" and even "they have better arcane casters than you." They're gearing up for a large invasion of the kingdom the PCs are based in, so there'll be no raiding of innocent villages here. Of course, they're not moving alone. They're accompanied by a whole bunch of evil humans, fire giants, and a blue dragon.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

None of the 'Grak kills you!' and charge you with his primitive stone dagger shenanigans.
    I created a goblin variant that has my players absolutely frightened. They seem primitive, mostly stone tools with some cold-hammering of softer metals. What makes them scary is that each individual has a special, near magical bond with any tool that he crafts for himself. So those simple stone tools suddenly become very dangerous weapons. (scaling with both hit dice and enhanced with further feats) Nearly all of them also spend a feat for a homebrew that lets them subtract their wisdom modifier from the bonus to attack that any foe has specifically for goblinoids.

Never underestimate a goblin...

Now, to get back on topic.... elves.. definitely elves.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

A friend of mine seems to always genocide drow whenever he makes a homebrew world.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

I say kill some humans...and not just any humans...you need to kill 'Good' humans...there are so few evil humans, and not too many actual neutral ones...they just give the whole race a goodly tilt that just sickens me...they are supposed to be Neutral as a race, not Neutral good...as such, some of the excess good humans just plain need to die.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

When I use Goblinoids, they are normally the victims of human expansionism and ouzt for revenge; I really hate settings were ugly humanoids are automatically evil and humans are automatically good.
    Because nothing prooves your goodness and your devotion for the good Because like a small genocide or two.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I tend to favor humans and other "PC" races in my games, which seem to usually be the violent side of normal politics. Non-plot-related encounters tend to be with actual predators like jungle cats or ankhegs or something, rather than just oddly-colored humanoids (and I do have a particular fondness for goblins, and would give no objection to them being played as player characters).

In fact, I don't think I've had a single villain group that wasn't primarily human or "close enough" (half-elf, elf, changeling, maybe a dwarf somewhere...), and this is only partly due to playing premade modules. Although the campaign I took over did technically start with A Dark and Stormy Knight, which features goblin mooks and a Bugzombie boss.

Actually, I did use a trio of not-very-talkative harpy mercenaries as mooks last time. But harpies aren't nearly as overused as orcs, kobolds, and goblinoids.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-12-14 at 04:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Elves. Always fight elves. Immortality+No natural predators other than possibly orcs who really fail to kill them anyway=Overpopulation.

You have to kill them, or they'll overpopulate and die out in droves! Its the merciful thing to do!
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Elves. Always fight elves. Immortality+No natural predators other than possibly orcs who really fail to kill them anyway=Overpopulation.

You have to kill them, or they'll overpopulate and die out in droves! Its the merciful thing to do!
    Of course you're kidding, but elves have very low birth rates according to Races of the Wild.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I say wipe 'em out... just to be on the safe side.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

My approach would be to have an Eberron-like set-up where creatures are equally likely to be of any alignment while ignoring the listed alignments. (This would be much more realistic the the standard system). Something else you could do is only use the Law-Chaos axis for determining what most of the cultures are like (eg: have Lupin and Hobgoblin societies, as well as most of the members of the society, as Lawful, while having Elf and Gnoll societies as Chaotic). I know that some societies could be seen as evil (eg: Ocearnia in 1984), but you could just have the leaders as Evil while having the ordinary people in such a society as Hopeless Neutral.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Might be an interesting campaign setting if there were none of the "mook" races.

So, you'd have to be killing humans/dwarves/elves.

The Good races need to fight with each other more often :P
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

You're saying we should stop killing goblins in our adventures?

I'm shocked. Shocked and dismayed. To be killed and looted by low-level adventurers is the reason for goblinoid existence. You racial environmentalist types just never see the big picture. If goblins are displaced from their position as the primary low-level D&D antagonist, who's going to ensure they get parts in adventure modules? Oh, sure, you probably think the charities will do it, but they're not made of money, you know, and there are so many neglected monsters out there that don't get enough recognition as it is.

You need to pay proper attention to the ecosystem. Goblin supply is linked to goblin deaths. As long as goblins are getting killed, there'll always be more goblins. However, as soon as goblins stop getting killed, they'll vanish. Really, it's simple. :P

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Here here!

Unless of course, you have goblin Pc's (Which I have a fondness for.) But I should point out that it's also not so hard to allow the players to meet a party of goblins under friendlier circumstances.

But as I often DM, and few if any of my players ever even consider the race before they find something more suited to thier style. Well, there's little else to do but inflict upon them the Burning Twilight clan. A few class levels and a bit of tacticry and I've give the goblins some much needed respect in the eyes of my players.

In one campaign they actually hired on a goblin warrior as a hireling since he was so much trouble to fight.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I recently noticed one funny thing: elves and dwarves are "usually good", yet noone blinks when they see an evil dwarf or elf. Goblins, kobolds and drow are "usually evil", bu good or neutral goblin or drow are looked upon with shock and sometimes treated as Drizzt clones. Orcs are often CE, which means there are less evil orcs than evil goblins, but orcs are usually 100% evil as well.
    Of course, goblinoids and orcs do need a break.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-14 at 09:02 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #24

I threw out racial alignments completely in my newest campaign. Of course, in this one, any living and sentient creature is automatically assumed to be a citizen of the empire, and randomly killing them is murder. :)
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

25. - Top - End - #25

I like sending hordes of lvl 1 elven warriors at the PC's, just because I dislike the "elite army" thing about them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

“The concept of a fair fight is meaningless in their society. They favor ambushes, overwhelming odds, dirty tricks, and any other edge they can devise . . . goblins have a poor grasp of strategy and are cowardly by nature, tending to flee the field if a battle turns against them.”

Indeed. Cowardly swine, attacking from the bushes, fleeing when the battle turns against them. For shame. Clearly, a “poor grasp of strategy.” Nothing like elves . . .

From the 3E Monster Manual:

“Elves are cautious warriors . . . maximizing their advantage by using ambushes, snipers, and camouflage. They prefer to fire from cover and retreat before they are found, repeating this maneuver until all of their enemies are dead.”
    Heh. Now I want to run a raid on a goblin warren, and at the end say "Okay, everyone change their alignment to Evil."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

That quote is brilliant.

Sendd the after halflings. The only ones you'd be remotely surprised about are half-elves (too boring), gnomes (done too many times) and halflings.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna go with Elves as well, not just because they're a stereotypically "good" race, but because there's "evil" subraces of them. I mean, if you come across an evil human or dwarf, it's an evil human or dwarf, but an evil elf is usually a Drow or some other sort of "dark elf". So having the "good" elves - high, wood, etc. - be the bad guys would be an even bigger departure from the norm than it would with evil humans or whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Behold_the_Void View Post
    A friend of mine seems to always genocide drow whenever he makes a homebrew world.
    It's not really genocide if you make them un-be. There'd have to have been drow once, and an historical genocide that wiped them out. Which would a) be needlessly complicated, and b) paint the race what done it as Heroes of Everything.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    When I use Goblinoids, they are normally the victims of human expansionism and ouzt for revenge; I really hate settings were ugly humanoids are automatically evil and humans are automatically good.
    Because nothing prooves your goodness and your devotion for the good Because like a small genocide or two.
    Wow, one of my settings has it the other way around. The humans have the smallest population while the goblins basically own half the world in their empire.