New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default The webserial The Gods are Barstards has been rewritten.

I know I wrote about this before, but there have definitely been changes made to the published story this time around. I clearly don't remember everything, but there were one or two patches or scenes that I seemed I seemed to remember from the first run through that didn't show up in the current versions of the chapters. It's possible that some of the things I'm thinking of showed up in interludes that haven't been published yet but will be eventually since at least one was published out of it's previous sequence because it fitted better with the chapters it was currently published with.

That said, there are changes that have been made:

Spoiler
    Show

I remember as I wrote before a chapter or interlude where a female, maybe Tellwyrn, made a thorough investigation of an Elder God facility.

I remember a scene where Ingvar and several others with help from the Rangers watched a bunch of wolves and then under the influence of alchemical drugs took a walk in their skins as ghosts, this was before the whole meeting up and setting of and howling thing, I'm not sure the howling was this long in the original.

In the original it was Sweet not Natchua who became an involuntary hand of Elilial.

Still the best serial on the web.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-02-18 at 10:38 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The webserial The Gods are Barstards has been rewritten.

I would suggest that rather than going off gut feeling, you should do what I did last time this topic came up and just...Wayback Machine the chapter. Because I read the story as it was coming out originally and remember none of these changes you're talking about, and none of the ones you thought had happened last time came up on the WBM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tellwyrn was never the viewpoint character of an exploration of the IO facility. You are likely confusing the chapters with Walker.

The chapter you mention with Ingvar and the boys turning into wolves for a spirit quest is...still there, I just read it a few months ago lol.

Sweet was never the Hand of Elilial; you are confusing the scene where he summons her via outsmarting Mogul.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I would suggest that rather than going off gut feeling, you should do what I did last time this topic came up and just...Wayback Machine the chapter. Because I read the story as it was coming out originally and remember none of these changes you're talking about, and none of the ones you thought had happened last time came up on the WBM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tellwyrn was never the viewpoint character of an exploration of the IO facility. You are likely confusing the chapters with Walker.

The chapter you mention with Ingvar and the boys turning into wolves for a spirit quest is...still there, I just read it a few months ago lol.

Sweet was never the Hand of Elilial; you are confusing the scene where he summons her via outsmarting Mogul.
    Spoiler
    Show

I could have missed a chapter unintentionally, but I was looking forward to the spirit quest and I didn't see it, I'd definitely have noticed it if I'd seen it. If you have a RR link I'd like to see it.

Something has changed with Sweet and Natchua, I definitely remember Sweet being made a hand, it was so unexpected, but this time, it was almost telegraphed, from the start of the bit where Natchua was ported away from her group to anyone who'd read the original it was being hinted all that dialog.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I could have missed a chapter unintentionally, but I was looking forward to the spirit quest and I didn't see it, I'd definitely have noticed it if I'd seen it. If you have a RR link I'd like to see it.

Something has changed with Sweet and Natchua, I definitely remember Sweet being made a hand, it was so unexpected, but this time, it was almost telegraphed, from the start of the bit where Natchua was ported away from her group to anyone who'd read the original it was being hinted all that dialog.
    The spirit quest starts at the end of 10-22 and takes place mostly in 10-24.

Sweet was never made a Hand that I recall. People speculated for a long time that he was the Hand of Eserion, but they were wrong. Though I haven't quite made it back to book 15 which I believe is the Natchua-centric one, I'm wrapping up Book 14 on my re-read ATM. I'll report back if anything pings at me while I'm re-reading it.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-02-19 at 01:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The spirit quest starts at the end of 10-22 and takes place mostly in 10-24.
    Thanks for that, you're right, that's it. I don't know whether I straight missed it, or whether I was expecting something more and mistakenly thought it hadn't happened yet.

The really funny thing is that none of it is true, in wolves and dogs, the female is alpha, no messing.

In the original, Sweet's behanding was about at the current chapter or maybe a bit later.

If you're not up to date you should ignore the spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-02-19 at 05:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah anyway, I caught up. Sweet was, again, never made a Hand. I have zero clue what you are talking about.

Are you one of the people that completely missed that it was Principia that is Eserion's Hand and assumed it must be Sweet? I know there's a few floating around that never quite picked up on that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah anyway, I caught up. Sweet was, again, never made a Hand. I have zero clue what you are talking about.

Are you one of the people that completely missed that it was Principia that is Eserion's Hand and assumed it must be Sweet? I know there's a few floating around that never quite picked up on that.
    Sweet wasn't made a hand this run through, no. A lot of the monologuing from Elilial to Natchua reminded me strongly of the monologuing Elilial did toward Sweet in the previous run through, as I remember things. After all, if you have a good monologue for a character, and you're not using it for the original purpose, why not reuse it?

We clearly disagree about what happened to Sweet last run through, do you remember Elilial taking a Hand at all in that run through? Some chapters are entirely new this run through, but I am pretty sure Natchua being picked by Elilial is one of the chapters that was there originally in a somewhat different form.

You are right that I don't now recall Principia being a hand of Eserion any run though, but that seems an entirely plausible event, and it's been long enough since the last update that I'm beginning to lose minor details (major shocks like Sweet involuntarily being picked by Elilial stick with me a lot longer).

Now we wait for updates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There is no "last run through" and "new run through" lol, you're just misremembering things. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and looked at the archives. The chapters haven't been changed. Elilial NEVER gave that speech to Sweet, it was Natchua the "first time" as well.

You're completely conflating two different scenes (Sweet's Offering of Cunning to Elilial in book...4-ish and Natchua's press-paladining in book 15). The aforementioned Offering of Cunning is the ONLY time Sweet and Ellilial are ever even in the same room together; he's not even around for her surrender because he's busy arranging for Flora and Fauna to have it out with Khadizroth.

You are, as far as I can tell, the only person who "remembers" these events having happened at some point and it's extremely simple to disprove by just using the Wayback Machine to look at the edit history of the chapters (spoiler alert...there really aren't any, Webb doesn't even usually re-edit chapters to fix typos like a lot of web serial authors do).

You can check and doublecheck 15-75 if you want, but it has never changed. There is no archive or evidence that there was ever an alternate universe where Sweet was made the Hand of Elilial, and that's aside from pointing out that it makes close to zero narrative sense to have it be Darling instead of Natchua that fills that role given that Darling has next to nothing to do with Elilial besides wanting an answer to his question, which he got back in book 4.

To "metagame" a little bit it also doesn't make any sense for there to be new or heavily altered chapters AT ALL because the reason Webb stopped writing TGAB both times is due to severe burnout with the setting. He took a break to write the (IMO superior and more focused) Only Villains Do That, and then lost the stomach for writing that because his threshold for "brutal and dark" is anywhere between E10+ and T for Teen, went back to TGAB for a while, burnt out again, and is now writing another story as a break.

Not exactly conducive to doing a full overhaul of the story with a complete plot restructuring to get rid of the events you "remember" happening.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There is no "last run through" and "new run through" lol, you're just misremembering things. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and looked at the archives. The chapters haven't been changed. Elilial NEVER gave that speech to Sweet, it was Natchua the "first time" as well.
    The sequence of the bonuses at least has changed, on Royal Road after 7.13 comes Bonus 60 through Bonus 63.

A note from Webbonomicon

Whoah, bonus 60?? Yes, don't worry, this is planned. Originally this chapter was written a long time after this point in the story, but this is the point in the story at which it actually occurs, so for the Royal Road release I'm moving it here. There'll be two little bonus arcs shifted forward in time this way.
    You're completely conflating two different scenes (Sweet's Offering of Cunning to Elilial in book...4-ish and Natchua's press-paladining in book 15). The aforementioned Offering of Cunning is the ONLY time Sweet and Ellilial are ever even in the same room together; he's not even around for her surrender because he's busy arranging for Flora and Fauna to have it out with Khadizroth.
    As I recall it, there was some sort of kerfuffle between Sweet and the Wreath (which Sweet won), at about the time in the last run through of the death of Shaenie (spelt?) this run through, I don't remember her dying and getting better last run through.

You are, as far as I can tell, the only person who "remembers" these events having happened at some point and it's extremely simple to disprove by just using the Wayback Machine to look at the edit history of the chapters (spoiler alert...there really aren't any, Webb doesn't even usually re-edit chapters to fix typos like a lot of web serial authors do).
    I don't know how to do that, and I wouldn't really trust it if I did, there are all sorts of strange things on the web:

I remember the original story of the song "I don't like Mondays" being sub-judicae (spelt?) when the song was first published, so the original Wednesdays was changed to Mondays so the song could be about no particular case. Now Wikipedia says it was originally Mondays.

There's a death mask of Dillinger on Wikipedia, with an "exit wound" that's pretty surely an entry wound.

You can check and doublecheck 15-75 if you want, but it has never changed. There is no archive or evidence that there was ever an alternate universe where Sweet was made the Hand of Elilial, and that's aside from pointing out that it makes close to zero narrative sense to have it be Darling instead of Natchua that fills that role given that Darling has next to nothing to do with Elilial besides wanting an answer to his question, which he got back in book 4.
    I'm clear that what I thought happened, happened just after the demon invasion of the provincial city (provincial capital?)

To "metagame" a little bit it also doesn't make any sense for there to be new or heavily altered chapters AT ALL because the reason Webb stopped writing TGAB both times is due to severe burnout with the setting. He took a break to write the (IMO superior and more focused) Only Villains Do That, and then lost the stomach for writing that because his threshold for "brutal and dark" is anywhere between E10+ and T for Teen, went back to TGAB for a while, burnt out again, and is now writing another story as a break.
    Yeah, I wish him well.

Not exactly conducive to doing a full overhaul of the story with a complete plot restructuring to get rid of the events you "remember" happening.
    Chandler edited The Big Sleep together out of the collection of short stories "Killer in the rain", there are multiple sequential pages that are identical (almost certainly shifted up and down the pages, but the same text) there's almost certainly less than half the book that's new writing in it, but it's a great book. The pair of books should be part of some course on creative writing.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-04-07 at 12:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I don't know how to do that, and I wouldn't really trust it if I did, there are all sorts of strange things on the web:

I remember the original story of the song "I don't like Mondays" being sub-judicae (spelt?) when the song was first published, so the original Wednesdays was changed to Mondays so the song could be about no particular case. Now Wikipedia says it was originally Mondays.
    The Boomtown Rats song, "I don't like Mondays"? The song was based on a real world event that occurred on a Monday, and includes a quote of "I don't like Mondays". You looked at a Wikipedia article that gave the facts, and came out believing your memory is right, and the article is wrong.

I mean this in the gentlest possible sense, but have you considered that you might put too much trust in your personal memories of the past and your personal interpretation of how things went? Your memory is not perfect, and if you have trouble accepting the fact, your perception of what's real might not be based on facts.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2024-04-07 at 01:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    The Boomtown Rats song, "I don't like Mondays"? The song was based on a real world event that occurred on a Monday, and includes a quote of "I don't like Mondays". You looked at a Wikipedia article that gave the facts, and came out believing your memory is right, and the article is wrong.
    There was a court case. The underage girl shot people, and didn't commit suicide, how could there NOT be a court case?

Given she was then underage, her name couldn't be mentioned. So the song had to change things about.

Wednesdays are the most hated days. Radio One in the UK currently has a feature called Hump day hump, about feeling annoyed, it's on Wednesdays.

Any idiot can edit Wikipedia, and a lot do. There's some good stuff on Wikipedia, but a lot of the time who shouts loudest wins.