New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

You mean to tell me that I can't ignite my grill using fireflies?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

No, but you can get Devotion.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Komodo dragons are dragons in much the same way dragonfruits are dragons.
    That's what they want you to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    You mean to tell me that I can't ignite my grill using fireflies?
    A Firefly's exhaust was pretty hot: I think you could light a grill with it, but, if you are not careful, you may also melt it into a pile of slag.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-25 at 05:00 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Personally I expect a sword to be more effective than animal claws. Then again, maybe it's one of those things work different on DnD.
    Not really. Cats, lizards, and hawks fight better with their claws than with swords they attempt to wield in those claws. Most swords are designed for people with opposable thumbs, you see.

From a game-mechanical perspective, the books are contradictory about how dextrous dragon claws are, but they definitely aren't proficient with greatswords. That's a -4 or so to attack rolls, depending on the edition.

From a biomechanical perspective, swords are designed for hands. They're designed to be held tightly by hands with palms flush against the hilt, letting the wielder sense exactly what direction the edge is facing, which is critical because attacks slightly off-angle are way worse at cutting stuff. And there are probably other details that someone who actually uses swords (instead of just reading about them) could tell you. And even if dragons had human-level dexterity with their claws, all of these details would make it impossible to effectively use a sword that small.

It's not like using a pocketknife instead of fingernails. Pocketknives are small, but they're designed for human-sized hands. It's like using one of those novelty sword-shaped toothpicks instead of your fingernails, except that your fingernails are also deadly weapons, which you don't get a -4 to attack rolls with.

That's a completely baseless analogy; the "dragon" in "dragonfruit" is being used as an adjective.
    Komodo dragons are dragons in much the same way fool's gold is gold. (Or you could point to leafy sea dragons or bearded dragons or something.)
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2024-02-25 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dragon claws are either... 1d8 or 2d6, depending on how big Calder actually is. The lowest that seems likely for age category is probably Mature Adult, though I feel like the scraggly beard and bushy eyebrows mark him as at LEAST Old. Which would be the breaking point for pushing him from Huge to Gargantuan, but many people have already been pointing out that Bloodfeast's own size makes Calder being Huge more likely, unless Bloodfeast has also sized up from HD or something.

Anyhow, even if his claws were 1d8 compared to a greatsword's 2d6, and ignoring all the other things that likely benefit Calder using the claws in terms of proficiency or feats... the increase in damage from 1d8 to 2d6 is negligible. At least while the sword is antimagicked.

i don't really expect Rich to always care about enforcing exact damage or HP values or caring about that sort of thing to the extreme, but the world is still DnD enough that it would be silly to act like a nonmagical sword is in any way significantly more dangerous than a dragon's claws.
    Last edited by OvisCaedo; 2024-02-25 at 06:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    That's a completely baseless analogy; the "dragon" in "dragonfruit" is being used as an adjective.
    Komodo dragons are dragons in much the same way fool's gold is gold. (Or you could point to leafy sea dragons or bearded dragons or something.)
    It's quite baseful, in that my point was "both have 'dragon' in the name". Whether its used an an adjective (it's not, if you want to get prescriptive about it) is immaterial.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Okay, now the dragonflies are upset. I suppose you are going to tell them they are neither dragons nor flies!

Oh, there go the snapdragons doing that dance from West Side Story. You're in trouble now!

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    The lowest that seems likely for age category is probably Mature Adult, though I feel like the scraggly beard and bushy eyebrows mark him as at LEAST Old. Which would be the breaking point for pushing him from Huge to Gargantuan, but many people have already been pointing out that Bloodfeast's own size makes Calder being Huge more likely, unless Bloodfeast has also sized up from HD or something.
    It feels weird that his facial features are evidence that he's Old but being eight times the size of a Medium creature isn't evidence that he's Gargantuan.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm still exploring my feelings on this.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2024-02-25 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Okay, now the dragonflies are upset. I suppose you are going to tell them they are neither dragons nor flies!

Oh, there go the snapdragons doing that dance from West Side Story. You're in trouble now!
    Of course dragons fly, but if you're going to ask me where the dragon flies, I'm going to need more information.

10. - Top - End - #340

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Dragon claws are either... 1d8 or 2d6, depending on how big Calder actually is. The lowest that seems likely for age category is probably Mature Adult, though I feel like the scraggly beard and bushy eyebrows mark him as at LEAST Old.
    It could be he was Mature Adult when he was interred in the dungeon. He then has "aged" several centuries, with his beard continuing to grow Rip Van Winkle style... but with his body staying the same size, since he isn't actually eating anything to add body mass.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    It could be he was Mature Adult when he was interred in the dungeon. He then has "aged" several centuries, with his beard continuing to grow Rip Van Winkle style... but with his body staying the same size, since he isn't actually eating anything to add body mass.
    Centuries?

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    It feels weird that his facial features are evidence that he's Old but being eight times the size of a Medium creature isn't evidence that he's Gargantuan.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm still exploring my feelings on this.
    Old would mean Gargantuan, so they'd fit. I just haven't really paid attention to the specifics of scale and know people were debating it earlier.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground
    eek Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

As awesome as this fight is, it's gonna royally suck when Xykon shows up just as they use the last of their spells and one-use items to finish off Calder.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJaye6 View Post
    As awesome as this fight is, it's gonna royally suck when Xykon shows up just as they use the last of their spells and one-use items to finish off Calder.
    Few people understood that Comic #1300 was going to be the end of the story. Surprise, suckers!

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

That would have to be some seriously epic fight. Lasting 2+ days and all...

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Off (on?) topic, I think Calder is just really hangry after not eating for so long. He's probably really nice once you get to know him. Can someone just feed him something so he can calm down? Does Elan have a Create Food and Water spell handy?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Actually I think they're being quite conservative when it comes to spells. V has only spent a Cone of Cold and a Chain Lightning (or just Lightning Bolt?), Durkon only cast Mass Resist Fire and now he's throwing his hammer. They are keeping their eyes on the bigger picture. Things might change if Calder actually gets closer to killing someone, I guess.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 2024-02-26 at 04:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    Off (on?) topic, I think Calder is just really hangry after not eating for so long. He's probably really nice once you get to know him. Can someone just feed him something so he can calm down? Does Elan have a Create Food and Water spell handy?
    "only my Hostess Fruit Pies (tm) can calm the savage beast!"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Wow wow wow, that last big panel has instantly become one of my all-time favorites. It's gorgeous and so, so epic. I also love Belkar's mischievous face from panel 7.
    Same! That last panel made me laugh out loud!

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

From a biomechanical perspective, swords are designed for hands. They're designed to be held tightly by hands with palms flush against the hilt, letting the wielder sense exactly what direction the edge is facing, which is critical because attacks slightly off-angle are way worse at cutting stuff. And there are probably other details that someone who actually uses swords (instead of just reading about them) could tell you. And even if dragons had human-level dexterity with their claws, all of these details would make it impossible to effectively use a sword that small.
    I'm pretty sure I recall reading about how the victors chopped the small finger off the right hand of their prisoners after a battle. They thought that losing even the least important finger would hinder their combat ability to use a spear in a shield wall.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Dragons don't have martial weapon proficiency and in an Anti Magic Field, it's little more than a masterwork weapon, especially in the hands of someone without the Weapon of Legscy features. He'd be better off just clawing Bloodfeast.
    Correction: Dragons don't default to having weapon proficiencies. Calder could have taken short-sword proficiency as a feat (adjusting for size, that's what it is), which would enable Calder to us it in grapple, trading one of his D6 claws for a 2D6 huge shortsword.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

If Team Evil does make it here they're probably going to have to go through the monsters Serini helped them skip. But it does also mean that the villains will, sooner or later, run across this empty room, Calder's corpse, a drained Order, or some combination of the three. All of which will probably lead Redcloak (and possibly the others) to conclude there's an ambush party of heroes waiting for them.

It's even possible Calder will inform Team Evil of this personally (Redcloak does probably have Speak With Dead)

We're at the climax, after all; the time to turn up the pressure on our heroes
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If Team Evil does make it here they're probably going to have to go through the monsters Serini helped them skip. But it does also mean that the villains will, sooner or later, run across this empty room, Calder's corpse, a drained Order, or some combination of the three. All of which will probably lead Redcloak (and possibly the others) to conclude there's an ambush party of heroes waiting for them.

It's even possible Calder will inform Team Evil of this personally (Redcloak does probably have Speak With Dead)

We're at the climax, after all; the time to turn up the pressure on our heroes
    Or... V uses the same spell used in the past to prevent this: Disintegrate, followed by gust of wind. Or... you know, maybe have Sunny use eye #8 on the corpse (and another gust of wind to push the ashes into the green colored water below).

Assuming the Order does win the fight and Calder is killed, it's extremely unlikely that they will leave a body around for TE to find and use in any meanginful way. The Order has a couple days of time to prep for TE to arrive (and know this fact). They also know that Xykon likes to make zombified dragons, so it's kinda of an obvious move.

Now... I could see Calder starting to lose and fleeing into the dungeon, running wild and triggering a ton of traps and releasing a bunch of monsters, and perhaps forcing the Order to head of towards the gate room without being able to deal with that mess (which could make TE's arrival "interesting"). Heck. Calder could surrender (again) to them, and then maybe agree to help defend the gate in return for freedom later maybe. Dunno. I could see lots of other possible things that could happen here. But yeah, not seeing any route that results in a Calder corpse lying around for TE to use after the fact (well, unless he runs back towards the entrance, the Order decides not to chase him, and then he dies to something along the way maybe). But that's not much different than if he does that and doesn't die.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    "only my Hostess Fruit Pies (tm) can calm the savage beast!"
    The hostess of your party serves Sorcerer Fruit Pies? How do I wrangle an invite?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Correction: Dragons don't default to having weapon proficiencies. Calder could have taken short-sword proficiency as a feat (adjusting for size, that's what it is), which would enable Calder to us it in grapple, trading one of his D6 claws for a 2D6 huge shortsword.
    Sure. 2d6 Great sword beats wing, wing, tail, claw, claw.

Am I the first to consider that it is just as likely that he stabbed himself as it is that he stabbed Bloodfeast? He was not holding it as a ready weapon, even if he is proficient.

25. - Top - End - #355

The sword is probably sharper.
    Which sounds more painful : A rottweiler biting you, or a rottweiler accidentally nicking you with the kitchen knife it's biting? And yet, the knife is a lot sharper that the dog's teeth.

And did you try to cut a steak with a kitchen knife you're holding by the blade? Because that doesn't sound like a fun/effective idea either.

Now, the dragon could change its grip on the sword, then stab the dino, sure. But I still think that full-power clawing away with the natural weapon you're used to would still be more effective in a close combat brawl than awkwardly holding a action-figure-sized weapon, even a real sharp one. Otherwise, every dragon would carry a human sword (or better, an ogre or giant sized one)

With the confusion and the dragon's desperate attempts to free itself, the Dino might end up with Roy's sword sticking out of its hide. But I doubt it will be as effective as the old "he fell on my sword" trope.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-02-27 at 04:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That's what they want you to think.
    A Firefly's exhaust was pretty hot: I think you could light a grill with it, but, if you are not careful, you may also melt it into a pile of slag.
    We should ask Crow. I heard he has a personal experience with exhaust home-cooking.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-02-27 at 04:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Which sounds more painful : A rottweiler biting you, or a rottweiler accidentally nicking you with the kitchen knife it's biting? And yet, the knife is a lot sharper that the dog's teeth.
    Knife sounds more painful, especially if it's used by not dumb animal but a smart one like Calder the dragon.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

From a biomechanical perspective, swords are designed for hands.
    Big if true
    ungelic is us

29. - Top - End - #359

Knife sounds more painful, especially if it's used by not dumb animal but a smart one like Calder the dragon.
    Personally, I chose the awkward knife swinging rather than the full, crushing, ripping pressure of the dog's jaw. Even if the dog actually knew how to swing the knife, his jaw is not built right to wield it effectively (or rather, the knife was not built to be an effective tool for somebody holding it in their teeth). But it IS built right to rip a hunk of flesh from my throat.

And you'll notice that no dragon we saw in the comic wielded a bladed weapon. There is probably a reason a smart creature preparing for a fight (like the ABD) decided not to bother with a weapon.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-02-27 at 05:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

You guys do remember we’re talking about dragon claws which are about the size of a sword each, right?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.