New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Welcome back to the allosaurus!
    That's not an allosaurus, it's a small harmless glrkt.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh heck yeah, the dinosaur is back!

3. - Top - End - #93

I agree with Belkar: the dinosaur returning to full size and chomping on the smug dragon is cool. It would also be cool if it had never been mentioned in comic before. It will still be cool if it happens a second time later on. It would even be cool if the response to unveiling himself was to throw a small lizard who turned into a dinosaur and started biting it. Throwing dinosaurs into people's faces is an underutilized comedic element.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    It's like Roy said: Belkar is dangerously good at this adventuring biz when he tries, and he brought his - and Bloodfeast's - A-game to this fight! :D

I wouldn't count Calder out yet, but this should definitely cramp his style for a round or two. More if Bloodfeast manages to hang on and keeps doing damage.
    Hmm... If Bloodfeast is too heavy for Calder to lift, they're both going to hit the floor with Calder landing on top of Bloodfeast who may or may not let go.

Calder's too big for Bloodfeast to shake around, but normal predator behavior would be to either hold on and crush the neck or clamp down and pull, trying to rip his throat out. No matter how well it works, I think Bloodfeast has Calder's undivided attention for a while.

Does Bloodfeast revert to being a wild untamed dinosaur in the anti-magic field? If so it's a good thing he probably actually likes Belkar. And we know he really likes Mr. Scruffy.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

when did belkar mention Bloodfeast earlier-- what elan is complaining about?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Three years! Three years since this was set up and now paid off. And it still slaps.

I recommend listening to the Jurassic Park theme with the T. rex roar while reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Scottzg View Post
    He tried to pull Bloodfeast out of the bag of holding when the Order first fought Sunny and Serini.

8. - Top - End - #98

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty Shrdlu View Post
    Hmm... If Bloodfeast is too heavy for Calder to lift, they're both going to hit the floor with Calder landing on top of Bloodfeast who may or may not let go.

Calder's too big for Bloodfeast to shake around, but normal predator behavior would be to either hold on and crush the neck or clamp down and pull, trying to rip his throat out. No matter how well it works, I think Bloodfeast has Calder's undivided attention for a while.

Does Bloodfeast revert to being a wild untamed dinosaur in the anti-magic field? If so it's a good thing he probably actually likes Belkar. And we know he really likes Mr. Scruffy.
    I think taming is an extraordinary ability, not a magical one. Belkar's wisdom is too low to cast any Ranger "be my animal buddy" spells. I think Bloodfeast is Belkar's buddy even in an AMF. And it would suck beyond all comprehension if Bloodfeast finishes off Calder, Belkar steps forward to pet him, and Bloodfeast eats Belkar. Rich wouldn't do that to me.

Agree, once a predator gets its jaws around a prey's throat, the usual instinct is to keep on biting. Calder has no choice but to get Bloodfeast to let go, and that probably means inflicting a lot of damage. In the meantime the rest of the Order is going to go to town on him.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Throwing dinosaurs into people's faces is an underutilized comedic element.
    True enough.
    See strip number 1239.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

This:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1239.html

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Belkar was right, it was definitely still cool now :-D

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by jackal59 View Post
    There's a guy from the funny pages we all know….
    It has been ages since I last followed the Alley Oop comic strip, but I seem to recall Mr. Oop consorting with a brontosaurus. Or maybe an apatosaurus. But not an allosaurus.

13. - Top - End - #103

FLYING DINOSAUR ATTACK! (I like dinosaurs. This one made me happy.)

Hmm... If Bloodfeast is too heavy for Calder to lift
    Without Reinforced Wings (a feat Clader had no reason to take), he can only stay airborne while carrying a light load. Depending on whether he is Huge or Gargantuan, as well as his age category, that's a value between roughly 6400 and 39168 lb., assuming elite array with the 15 dropped unti STR. Given that we have no clear idea what size each of our scalies is (although I'd like to stress that Bloodfeast is not neccessarily larger; he's just differently proportioned, with that massive head of his giving that impression – meaning they can both be Gargantuan, a size category Allosaurs can be advanced to)… That tells us very little in itself, but I wanted to mention it anyhow.

14. - Top - End - #104

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    Bloodfeast is a dinosaur, not a lizard. (Where in the taxonomy dragons fall is more up in the air.)
    it won’t be up in the air for much longer.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somniloquist View Post
    If I may mix systems a bit, dragon-type attacks are super-effective against dragon types.
    But dinosaurs are usually Rock Type.

*nods seriously*
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Tundar View Post
    And that's a helluva lots of d6 damage being done right there in one big chomp. Ouch!
    And at least one rear-claw rake. What are the damage stats in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsae View Post
    Even more overjoyed than I thought I would be to watch Chekhov's Polymorphed Dinosaur in action
    Chekhov's Gums (and Teeth).

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    And now, Sunny continues carrying out instructions given by Calder as he's pulled to the floor, the Allosaurus continues to chomp into his neck and he can't speak. It's a brutal fight but Calder dies horribly because of the command he issued because now he can't even retaliate or escape with his own magic. Seems like it might be too easy of a victory, but on the other hand it is a lot of irony!
    Would Calder still be able to issue commands telepathically in an AMF?

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Also, I don't remember D&D 3.5 allosauri having a "bite and keep on biting without making attack rolls" feature, but that doesn't mean Bloodfeast the Extreminator can't do it with Belkar's coaching.
    Would "maintain grapple and keep raking with a to-hit bonus" be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsodacan View Post
    YES! Go Bloodfeast! All of us are rooting for you! We love you! As a wise bugbear once said: CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP! (Somebody really should look out for V, though. That ground is so not gonna feel good.)
    Especially if a dragon and allosaurus land on top of them.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I'd be surprised, but I wouldn't quibble either. I was answering a question about concentration per-the-rules, whatever happens in the conics happens.
    The conic AMF?

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    Considering Calder's M.O. of dominating people to worship him, and his default response to anyone who does not start off groveling when they meet him, I would not mind seeing Bloodfeast rip his head off one little bit. I just hope red dragon meat won't be too spicy for him, nor Calder's flesh too gamey from age.
    The Domination of Sunny persists, but are any new Mindbender operations blocked while Calder is in the AMF?

17. - Top - End - #107

So, if Rich agrees with Elan, then why did he have Belkar blow it back in 1239? And if he doesn't agree with Elan, why did Elan blow it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    But dinosaurs are usually Rock Type.

*nods seriously*
    Tyrantrum is Rock/Dragon and Tyranitar learns dragon moves. >:D

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    So, if Rich agrees with Elan, then why did he have Belkar blow it back in 1239? And if he doesn't agree with Elan, why did Elan blow it?
    For the sake of this comics punchline, of course.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Back in 1239.
    Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Best.

Album cover.

Ever.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    Dumping the INT stat may explain that. (per Belkar's observation on that matter).
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    For the sake of this comics punchline, of course.
    That also.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #113

Am I the only one who was reminded of the ending of Jurassic Park?
    LGBTitp

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Someone mentioned that we cant see the sword drop on the first page and I have a horrible feeling that the dragon's hand holding the sword being conveniently hidden along with the fact that Bloodfeast's eyes are wide now rather than angry signify something sinister for our dino friend...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The sword in Calder's left hand makes me a little nervous. Anyone else feel like the placement of the arm in the big panel (with Roy's sword hidden out of view) makes it look like Bloodfeast just took a greatsword to the heart? The dino's expression looks awfully surprised..

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBush View Post
    Someone mentioned that we cant see the sword drop on the first page and I have a horrible feeling that the dragon's hand holding the sword being conveniently hidden along with the fact that Bloodfeast's eyes are wide now rather than angry signify something sinister for our dino friend...
    Yes!! I had the exact same thought (and at the exact same time according our forum posts...)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LookieLouE1707 View Post
    Calder could have eaten the pointy-eared monkey. I am impressed by his restraint. Too bad Roy failed his diplomacy check at the start.
    Nah, Calder's eager to rebuild his creepy dragon cult. A high-level wizard, once dominated, would become a very powerful asset.

The black dragon mother's restraint was more impressive. Of course, if she'd been satisfied with just mauling V, some truly awful things would not have had a chance to happen, so... Yeah.

Unless Calder manages to seriously injure Bloodfeast, my money would be on not.

Another point to consider, while Bloodfeast is clamped onto Calder's throat, the dragon can't talk. Sunny is going to keep that big, beautiful eye locked onto him, no matter whether he manages to stay airborne or gets dragged to the ground, so he can't cast spells to shake the allosaurus off or fight off the Order.

Why would he? Animal handling isn't a magic spell or a supernatural power; its a technique with lasting effects on an animal.
    Last edited by Grendelkin; 2024-02-19 at 04:00 PM.
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

28. - Top - End - #118

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Am I the only one who was reminded of the ending of Jurassic Park?
    Calder is a smidge larger than a velociraptor, but we're in the same general territory.

Wasn't there a throw-away scene where a large aquatic beastie grabbed a Pteranodon?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

thank you Faldrath, KorvinStarmast, Debatra, and Ruck for refreshing my memory about fighting serini in the anti-magic field.

that joke probably works when you're reading the archive, but daaang that happened several years ago in my timeline. i was all prepped to feel stupid and i don't at all.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

It seems Calder's spell actually didn't do much damage to V after all.

I notice Calder still has Roy's sword, I wonder if he can wield it against Bloodfeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I can't find Allosaurus stats for 3.5e, but the T-rex entry allows for Gargantuan size with enough HD advancement. All we have to do to make sense of older that Mature Adult (which is kind of necessary for him to be a challenge for an Epic party) is assume that Bloodfeast is an extra-strong dino. Tarquin's sense of the dramatic would likely encourage him to make sure his showy arena dino was as big and tough as possible, particularly when he's the type to view "the attraction is eating the audience!" as bonus entertainment.
    Why would we have to make sense of him being a challenge for an epic party? The Order is not an epic party (with the exception of Serini, who hasn'tdone anything).

MM2 specifies that Allosaurus are huge. They are smaller dinosaurs than Tryanosaurus.

Everything else fits nicely with Calder being huge size. If he's a mature adult, he's a reasonable CR for the party (with its extra members), or he might be younger with levels in mindbender (explaining any spells he knows which a dragon wouldn't usually).