New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

If I may digress, the standard 3.5 Allosaurus is actually rather oversized. An IRL Allosaurus fragilis, the most common species, is closer to Large on average. There is a Huge variety, but it is typically classified as a separate species, Allosaurus maximus or even a separate genus, Saurophaganax.
    LGBTitp

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    If I may digress, the standard 3.5 Allosaurus is actually rather oversized. An IRL Allosaurus fragilis, the most common species, is closer to Large on average. There is a Huge variety, but it is typically classified as a separate species, Allosaurus maximus or even a separate genus, Saurophaganax.
    While that is (legitimately) interesting to note as a sidebar, Dungeons and Dragons is definitely not one of my top sources for dinosaur accuracy to begin with... XD

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Rich doesn't go by strict 3.5 rules, especially when the result is awesome-sauce. Which this result is.

As noted, Rich doesn't go by strict 3.5 rules. If he wants to give Sunny a new "saving throw" which he succeeds at because Calder is being chomped, I shall not quibble.

It would be sad if Bloodfeast were to be trapped inside Calder's room until he died of old age because he's too big to leave. I don't think that's going to happen.
    I don't think Rich is going to do "concentration" exactly by 3.5 rules. If he wants Sunny to break free by sheer willpower (and thereby grow up a little), it can happen.
    There's some things (like, e.g., Mage Hand) that work on unattended objects but not on ones held by a hostile creature. Calder evidently believed he could prevent pwoking.
    I think the pwoking is stymied by the AMF.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

What Age Category is Calder? Because a Tyrannosaurus (which Bloodfeast is likely closest mechanically) is Huge while a Red Dragon that is Old or older are Gargantuan, and Bloodfeast appears to be about the same size if not slightly bigger than Calder (within the same size category).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ok that IS epic

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBush View Post
    Someone mentioned that we cant see the sword drop on the first page and I have a horrible feeling that the dragon's hand holding the sword being conveniently hidden along with the fact that Bloodfeast's eyes are wide now rather than angry signify something sinister for our dino friend...
    Dinos always have these eyes, they have no facial expressions.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by axledawes View Post
    The sword in Calder's left hand makes me a little nervous. Anyone else feel like the placement of the arm in the big panel (with Roy's sword hidden out of view) makes it look like Bloodfeast just took a greatsword to the heart? The dino's expression looks awfully surprised..
    Calder is shown holding the sword by the blade, above the hilt. It appears to me that he's gripping it at around its center of mass. He might be able to manipulate it to change his grip, but that wouldn't be a trivial one-"handed" operation while fighting. (Imagine a human doing the equivalent with a dagger. Roll for DEX at a substantial penalty.) As it is, using it to stab or cut wouldn't permit anything like the usual damage from a greatsword, and would probably do more than a bit of self-harm. Using the HP system to describe damage wonkifies things, but "logically" it might impair Calder's ability to cast spells that involve somatic components.

8. - Top - End - #128

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Calder is shown holding the sword by the blade, above the hilt. It appears to me that he's gripping it at around its center of mass. He might be able to manipulate it to change his grip, but that wouldn't be a trivial one-"handed" operation while fighting. (Imagine a human doing the equivalent with a dagger. Roll for DEX at a substantial penalty.) As it is, using it to stab or cut wouldn't permit anything like the usual damage from a greatsword, and would probably do more than a bit of self-harm. Using the HP system to describe damage wonkifies things, but "logically" it might impair Calder's ability to cast spells that involve somatic components.
    At the moment, I think Sunny is the bigger issue on the casting front. Other than that I agree with you. Calder stabbing Bloodfeast here just doesn't really fly, unless Rich wants to play it as a literal "he ran into my knife" scenario, and that's not what I think is happening. As is, it's actually pretty impressive he even grabbed it in the first place.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

This past month I have been missing Dr. McNinja more than usual. A thrown dinosaur mauling a dragon midair goes a long way toward filling that gap.

I don't want the series to end, but I'm eager to see how the story wraps up from here. Thanks to the Giant for bringing us all this way.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post

Why would we have to make sense of him being a challenge for an epic party? The Order is not an epic party (with the exception of Serini, who hasn'tdone anything).
    The Order of The Stick is not Epic.

The Order Of The Scribble was, and Serini explicitly states they needed the whole team to take him down - meaning that he put up a serious fight against an epic-level party.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

HELL YEAH! Bloodfeast has been unleashed!

Hopefully the big (formerly little) guy gets to stay this way for a little while longer... I hope he holds his own against Calder. Rooting for him!
    Shh! I'm hiding.

12. - Top - End - #132

Lizardfolk

I just want to say the art in this one is fantastic. The energy in the last panel especially is a marvel. Thanks for everything, Giant!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    I just want to say the art in this one is fantastic. The energy in the last panel especially is a marvel. Thanks for everything, Giant!
    IMO large, detailed animals (not the tiny ones like Blackwing or Mr. Scruffy) have benefited the most from OOTS' style upgrades.

That, and buildings.

(Thinking of the Godsmoot building...)
    Shh! I'm hiding.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    At the moment, I think Sunny is the bigger issue on the casting front. Other than that I agree with you. Calder stabbing Bloodfeast here just doesn't really fly, unless Rich wants to play it as a literal "he ran into my knife" scenario, and that's not what I think is happening. As is, it's actually pretty impressive he even grabbed it in the first place.
    "He ran into my knife" was where my thoughts were going.

Could be even worse if Bloodfeast drops off with the sword inside him, falls out of the anti-magic cone, and then shrinks back to being a lizard with the blade still in him.

Definitely something my D&D party would wind up experiencing!

15. - Top - End - #135

I feel like an awkwardly handled medium-scaled greatsword with no magic enhancement bonuses in effect is probably not really any more threatening than Calder's natural attacks would be.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Would have been and definitely IS an amazing splash panel!
    Big smiles all around. Great plotting. Please don't let the dinosaur jump into the sword.
    I want to see if he shrinks back down when Sunny blinks.

17. - Top - End - #137

Kobold

Welp, guess we know who's getting the majority of the XP for this fight.

A clash between a dinosaur and a dragon is always awesome.

18. - Top - End - #138

Oh hell yeah
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love lizard-Bloodfeast's little "Gyaaa!" when Belkar asks if he's ready. Clearly he's been looking for an opportunity to get back in the game.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Between his size relatively to Bloodfeast, the way his physical attacks are shown to be dangerous but not overwhelmingly dangerous for the OotS, and the way he talks about throwing spells at Varsuuvius, I think this page makes the "Calder isn't that old in term of age category, but has more Sorcerer levels than typical for a dragon his age/size" hypothesis/possibility the most likely one.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    Three years! Three years since this was set up and now paid off. And it still slaps.

I recommend listening to the Jurassic Park theme with the T. rex roar while reading.
    Or if only they could set up that one line. "Clever girl... *followed by panicked screaming*"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post

They all share, don't they?

23. - Top - End - #143

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    It seems Calder's spell actually didn't do much damage to V after all.

I notice Calder still has Roy's sword, I wonder if he can wield it against Bloodfeast.

Why would we have to make sense of him being a challenge for an epic party? The Order is not an epic party (with the exception of Serini, who hasn'tdone anything).

MM2 specifies that Allosaurus are huge. They are smaller dinosaurs than Tryanosaurus.

Everything else fits nicely with Calder being huge size. If he's a mature adult, he's a reasonable CR for the party (with its extra members), or he might be younger with levels in mindbender (explaining any spells he knows which a dragon wouldn't usually).
    I think durkon burned his turn this round snap healing V right after the blast hit
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come now, Elan.

Belkar's been talking about and hoping for this for a while now. If he didn't set it up with a pre-dino tossing one-liner, it wouldn't have been consistent. This is a payoff to a lot of buildup.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Payoff! We have payoff! Three hundred odd strips but there we go!

And a lovely, lovely panel it is. I dunno how much time Rich spent on this strip, but it was effort well invested.

Storywise, Bloodfeast is one more loose end tied up. We still have , by my reckoning:

-- Belkar's death
    -- The Three Fiends
    -- The MITD's identity

to go, and then we can wrap this up for good!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    One more thought about Calder's domination of Sunny - since Rich doesn't go by strict D&D 3.5 rules the answer is "whatever advances the plot", but anyway; does Calder's domination require concentration? Because GLRKT! does not sound like the noise made by a person thinking clearly.
    Order of the Stick is based on the D&D 3.5 rules, in which dominate monster did not require concentration (in fact very few spells did).
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post

Per RAW, Bloodfeast can't go up more than one level at a time, though.

28. - Top - End - #148

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Payoff! We have payoff! Three hundred odd strips but there we go!

And a lovely, lovely panel it is. I dunno how much time Rich spent on this strip, but it was effort well invested.

Storywise, Bloodfeast is one more loose end tied up. We still have , by my reckoning:

-- Belkar's death
    -- The Three Fiends
    -- The MITD's identity

to go, and then we can wrap this up for good!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    You forgot "the planet inside the rift" and "the fate of all goblinkind".
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The Order of The Stick is not Epic.

The Order Of The Scribble was, and Serini explicitly states they needed the whole team to take him down - meaning that he put up a serious fight against an epic-level party.
    They haven't always been epic though, so do we know if they were already maxed-out at the time they fought Calder? It could have been a long time before the whole rifts/gates/dungeons plotline, no?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

This is so early in the fight that it feels like the moment where Calder reveals they have ten more health bars. Still great for Bloodfeast though.