New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I never expected an expansion of the Tech sphere

But Ultimate Engineering came out. Obviously, it's contents are about as niche as the tech sphere as a whole.
    ...and rather than expanding on the poorly-formatted, overly complex sphere, they chose to make it a Tinker sphere. Which was honestly a good decision. Tech sphere had issues.
    Anyway. I look forward to finally getting to do another spheres in review that actually has a purpose. It's looking very interesting.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2024-02-27 at 09:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I never expected an expansion of the Tech sphere

so is it magic sphere or a different group?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    so is it magic sphere or a different group?
    Might. Basically looks like an intended replacement to the tech sphere.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

wait there was a Tech sphere and a Tech•no•mancy sphere before this? *sigh*
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2024-02-28 at 01:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

wait there was a Tech sphere and a Tech•no•manchy sphere before this? *sigh*
    lol. ikr?
    Although The Technomancy sphere was really rather garbage. The Tech sphere was great. I made good use of it. And it's not hard to flavor as magical (especially with a drawback that makes it dispel-able), so it fits most settings, with the least bit of effort.
    But the tech sphere had clumsy rules.

I'm intentionally holding off on in depth analysis until it hits the wiki (both for respect of the owner's desire to have a time between release and it being freely available, and so everyone can follow along without the book).
    But it's looking pretty good on my first glance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

oh i saw it yesterday and I thought about buying it,

it is only $20 bucks and I appreciate all the author has done in spheres so far. Probably will but it soon with a future paycheck.

just that another system feels intimidating at my current stress level *laughs*

=====

let me ask a question I hope you can give a simple answer with. Would it fit well with a 15 combat talent, 3/4 bab class who also gets magic talents as well… something like sphere inquisitor?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

oh i saw it yesterday and I thought about buying it,

it is only $20 bucks and I appreciate all the author has done in spheres so far. Probably will but it soon with a future paycheck.

just that another system feels intimidating at my current stress level *laughs*

=====

let me ask a question I hope you can give a simple answer with. Would it fit well with a 15 combat talent, 3/4 bab class who also gets magic talents as well… something like sphere inquisitor?
    (Again, on first glance) It appears as though you don't need to super invest into it in order to get what you would want.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

wait there was a Tech sphere and a Tech•no•mancy sphere before this? *sigh*
    Well, Technomancy was a 3rd party sphere tied to a specific setting that no one uses - it was never designed to be an all purpose 'definitive' technology sphere. The OG Tech sphere was much maligned for being, as mentioned, poorly formatted and overly complex. On top of that, it was kinda broken in terms of power level, with it being very easy to do very silly things with it. I can't comment on whether the Tinkerer sphere has fixed these issues, but they were the motivations for getting this project done.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    On top of that, it was kinda broken in terms of power level, with it being very easy to do very silly things with it.
    Is it from drones? Because other than those, I've looked into heavy Tech investment (like a $1M dollar man concept), and it didn't seem OP even with a larger than normal budget.

Now Technomancy Permanent Sprite to make everything have unlimited charges, that could be broken (although to a more limited extent than magic can do), but I'd call that a problem with the Technomancy sphere rather than Tech.

Conceptually all over the place in terms of what technology level it represents? Yes. Just not anything crazy mechanically.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2024-02-28 at 05:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Is it from drones? Because other than those, I've looked into heavy Tech investment (like a $1M dollar man concept), and it didn't seem OP even with a larger than normal budget.

Now Technomancy Permanent Sprite to make everything have unlimited charges, that could be broken (although to a more limited extent than magic can do), but I'd call that a problem with the Technomancy sphere rather than Tech.

Conceptually all over the place in terms of what technology level it represents? Yes. Just not anything crazy mechanically.
    It's been years since I've looked at the Tech sphere, so I don't remember much of the specifics. The general issue was the opposite, that Tech was far too efficient, that it offered ridiculously competitive WBL-mancy, that it unlocked what were supposed to be mid to high level effects with just low level investment, that it was more spammable than comparable options, exacerbated by the fact that it had like 6 basically free drawbacks for some reason. One of the reoccurring frustrations in making the Tinker sphere was "how do you realize this cool tech option without having it invalidate all of the other progression systems we have."

I followed the development of the Tinker sphere on the Drop Dead Studios discord, they'd probably be able to give you a better answer if you were interested in the details.
    Last edited by Logalmier; 2024-02-28 at 07:09 AM.